PDA

View Full Version : "Amelie" or "Momo"

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:28 PM
Someone claimed the other day that there is something offensive about the nickname "Momo", and we should not use it. Is there any basis for this?

Lemonskin.
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:29 PM
Momo is the name of a manufacturer of add-ons for your car... :shrug:

Shenanigans
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM
It is due to her surname, I worked with someone called Maurice who everyone called Momo. I do not think it would offend Amelie. In France nicknames are like lolo, Fredo, Momo etc.

Orion
Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:02 AM
Some people might think it's a reference to her hoMOsexuality, because a MO is a kind of offensive nickname for a gay or lesbian person. But I think that anyone who thinks that is kind of stupid.

PointBlank
Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:19 AM
MauresMO = Momo

flyingmachine
Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:22 AM
Momo also means Tibertian dumplings. :lick:

Linnie
Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:31 AM
It's from her last name - MAU(pronounced MO)resMO. I remember, a couple of years ago at the U.S. Open, there was a French journalist (don't remember which publication) that kept shouting "ALLEZ MOMO" during her doubles match with Nathalie. I would then safely assume that it's not an insult ;)

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:02 AM
Hey guys, I realise where the name comes from. I was just taken aback when someone made this claim on the board - i.e. that there's something offensive about the name in France - a few days ago. It sounds like Amelie is okay with the nickname so that's good enough for me.

Allez Momo!

swiss
Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
I prefer Amé but as you like her :lol: