PDA

View Full Version : Maria watched/listened Serenas Interview or what?

bailey
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:57 PM
:rolleyes: :lol:

Serena, Monday January 17

Q. You're No. 7 now. A couple years ago obviously you were at the very top. Do you sense a difference in the way the other players feel about playing against you now that wouldn't have been there a couple years ago when you were more dominant?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't think there's a player out there who would see their name against mine and go, "Oh, my God, yes!"
So...

Maria, Friday, January 21

Q. You say a lot of things have happened since then. Do you feel a different person from a year ago?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Not as much a person, I feel more as a player. Definitely when I play top players, when I play seeded players, I know that, you know, I'm No. 4 in the world and when they see me in the draw they don't say, "Well, I really wanted to play her."

icequeen
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:00 PM
Oh man this girl is copying everything the sisters say and do. What's up with that.

SJW
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:00 PM
the copy is never as good as the original ;)

bailey
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah Mr. 2473-Posts, right.;)

Stamp Paid
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:10 PM
She's copied Serena's post match kiss to the crowd as well.

bailey
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:17 PM
BTW, I enjoy watching Maria (I just don't like her dad's behaviour (who does?) and the hype that's been made around her (can't blame her for that either).

I just didn't like the quote when I read it from Serena so I was like WTF when I read nearly a same quote from Maria today...

tennis ace
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:24 PM
copying serena again:rolleyes:

icequeen
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:56 PM
It never ends.

InDemand
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:42 PM
copying serena again:rolleyes:
Why do you guys care whether Sharapova is copying Serena or not? :confused:

harloo
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:57 PM

Q. You're No. 7 now. A couple years ago obviously you were at the very top. Do you sense a difference in the way the other players feel about playing against you now that wouldn't have been there a couple years ago when you were more dominant?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't think there's a player out there who would see their name against mine and go, "Oh, my God, yes!"
So...

Q. You say a lot of things have happened since then. Do you feel a different person from a year ago?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Not as much a person, I feel more as a player. Definitely when I play top players, when I play seeded players, I know that, you know, I'm No. 4 in the world and when they see me in the draw they don't say, "Well, I really wanted to play her."
:tape: :lol:

Maria Croft
Jan 21st, 2005, 10:02 PM
this is so stupid, some people will use any excuse to try to trash sharapova !! or some other players for that matter !! get over it !!

icequeen
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM
this is so stupid, some people will use any excuse to try to trash sharapova !! or some other players for that matter !! get over it !!

Nobody is trashing her it's just that everything the sisters does she follows suit. But then again she "only 17". :tape:

Teemu
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:45 PM
Nobody is trashing her it's just that everything the sisters does she follows suit. But then again she "only 17". :tape:

Are you a professional bore or is this just some kind of a hobby?

Bezz
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:50 PM
Everything the sisters do :unsure: , name 3 things other than that interview that maria copied from the sisters :angel: .;)

volta
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:52 PM
LMAO next time i see MAria play im gonna pay more attention to it cuz i usual change the channel

Lemonskin.
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:52 PM
OH MY GOD.

I've just about had it with this board and its haters.

SJW
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:56 PM
don't feel like you have to stay here. cuz you really don't. bye :)

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:58 PM
:lol: LMAO :D

I watched that interview and I doubt that she copied Serena @ all.:p

1 of the guys asking her questions, was a total IDIOT!. :o

Some of the questions were :angel:

Q. Are you ever curious to know something more about Anna Kournikova? So many times they talk about, "You are the new Kournikova." I understand that you are not to come back to this subject, but are you curious about her life, about what she does outside tennis with Julio Iglesias and other things? Interesting or not?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'd actually like to learn more about myself (laughing). :kiss: :hearts:

:lol: :lol: :tape: What sort of question is that? Julio aswell? So Anna has moved onto the father now? ;) :drool:

:p Some of the interviews are a big waste of time! :rolleyes:

------------------

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

I loved Serena's interview after her 3rd Rnd win :bounce:

She modelled the new outfit :hearts: and did a little demonstration on the change in outfits for the media :lol: :p She's cute! :lick: :drool:

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:16 AM
She's copied Serena's post match kiss to the crowd as well.
bc serena invented that.

Deira
Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:26 AM
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" ;)

New
Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Oh pls!!! This is ridiculous! How many different answers do you want the players to think of ???

How about if both got the question "What do you think of you performance on court today?" and both answered "(opponent's name) played very well, but needs more experience......I think I played very well today..." (which is a common answer), then are they copying each other???? :rolleyes:

Dan23
Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:11 AM
:haha: @ this thread
So Maria go and reads the transcripts from Serenas press conferences and remembers the answers for next time?? :unsure:

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:21 AM
:haha: @ this thread
So Maria go and reads the transcripts from Serenas press conferences and remembers the answers for next time?? :unsure:
that's what i feel is being suggested :tape:
i don't know why she would start now considering many of serena's interviews have caused a lot of negative press and a whole lot of laughter at her expense.

why would maria want the same? her interviews have all been so positively received. :confused:

(this post was meant simply to wind a few people up)

Volcana
Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:24 AM
Oh man this girl is copying everything the sisters say and do. What's up with that.I'm not sure that's true. What rich 17 year old doesn't think she knows her own mind? But let's say for a second it is.You're 17 years old. You were fairly well known before, but suddenly you're in a place where you can't tell who to trust, because everybody kisses your feet. Yet, everything you do that isn't perfect gets criticized. You know perfectly well that three quarters of the people around you are users, but you don't know which ones.

Quick, who can you use as a role model for how to behave without getting crucified?

How about the last two players to be in exactly the same position as you? You got to see their mistakes on TV, and how they were treated. They clearly get treated better now. At least some of that is handling the media and the fans better.

They fell into a lot of the traps that are waiting for you, and worked their way out. Why fall into the same traps, when they're right there, tournament after tournament, to use as role models?

I'd don't KNOW she's using them as models for how to handle the media, and conduct herself in public, but they're the best available models for what SHE is going through now, and will have to go through in the near future. Lindsay Davenport is a wonderful representative for tennis. But was never trying to balance tennis, being a teenaged champion, photo shoots and being taller than almost everybody.

If she's using them as models, that's just being smart. Why make the same mistakes as they did? Venus and Serena are media darlings now. (Well, except Mary Carillo.) It wasn't always like that.

dreamgoddess099
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:20 AM
I'm not sure that's true. What rich 17 year old doesn't think she knows her own mind? But let's say for a second it is.You're 17 years old. You were fairly well known before, but suddenly you're in a place where you can't tell who to trust, because everybody kisses your feet. Yet, everything you do that isn't perfect gets criticized. You know perfectly well that three quarters of the people around you are users, but you don't know which ones.

Quick, who can you use as a role model for how to behave without getting crucified?

How about the last two players to be in exactly the same position as you? You got to see their mistakes on TV, and how they were treated. They clearly get treated better now. At least some of that is handling the media and the fans better.

They fell into a lot of the traps that are waiting for you, and worked their way out. Why fall into the same traps, when they're right there, tournament after tournament, to use as role models?

I'd don't KNOW she's using them as models for how to handle the media, and conduct herself in public, but they're the best available models for what SHE is going through now, and will have to go through in the near future. Lindsay Davenport is a wonderful representative for tennis. But was never trying to balance tennis, being a teenaged champion, photo shoots and being taller than almost everybody.

If she's using them as models, that's just being smart. Why make the same mistakes as they did? Venus and Serena are media darlings now. (Well, except Mary Carillo.) It wasn't always like that.
Yeah that and the fact that Maria's media image is being molded by the same IMG agency that represented Serena. But since Serena dumped IMG for the William Morris agency at the begining of last year, IMG needed a new media savvy star like Serena. And what better than a blonde white girl (which is always considered to be more marketable). No doubt they are advising Maria to do some of the same things that made Serena the highest paid female athelete such as appearing girly and feminine to balance her strong tennis with shopping and fashion talk, the playing to the crowd by blowing kisses to all four corners at the end of a match, and the fist pumping, grunting, and intensity Serena is known for. IMG is trying to make Maria a cross between Anna's looks and Serena's game, media savvy, and personality. Their whole plan is so transparent.

Lemonskin.
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:23 AM
Gee, everything's a conspiracy, innit? :p

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:28 AM
but still... why would she go t a serena interview read it, memorize the answer and then use it to answer another benign question???

icequeen
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:54 AM
but still... why would she go t a serena interview read it, memorize the answer and then use it to answer another benign question???

Please she did not need to memorize the entire interview just the portion that she needed and was hoping that a question would be asked of her so that she can use Serena's words. The same thing she did when she talked about being a renasissance woman...those words came directly from Venus Williams.

dreamgoddess099
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:56 AM
but still... why would she go t a serena interview read it, memorize the answer and then use it to answer another benign question???She didn't have to read Serena's interview or be at Serena's press conference to hear it. How do you know she didn't read that quote in the paper and decide to recite it for a similar question?

dreamgoddess099
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:59 AM
Gee, everything's a conspiracy, innit? :pNo, you're right, marketing is always spontaneous and never planned.

Lemonskin.
Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:22 AM
Please she did not need to memorize the entire interview just the portion that she needed and was hoping that a question would be asked of her so that she can use Serena's words. The same thing she did when she talked about being a renasissance woman...those words came directly from Venus Williams.
Oh come on.

That's so ridiculous it's almost funny

Julia1968
Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:46 AM

Its really weird how you so desperately attempt to get into the mind of a seventeen year old teenager and spew forth the thoughts of Maria Sharapova.

Perhaps you once joined Serena at Neverland????

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Its really weird how you so desperately attempt to get into the mind of a seventeen year old teenager and spew forth the thoughts of Maria Sharapova.

Perhaps you once joined Serena at Neverland????

Funny how you're ragging on someone hating on a 17 year old. When you're just as bad ragging on a 23 year old.

hingis-seles
Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:56 AM
You're kidding, right? :retard:

Oh wait. I forgot. This is WTA World. My bad.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM

So...

Like SERENA made up that line...like it has NEVER been said before ... :lol:

Prizeidiot
Jan 22nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Let's not read too far into this.... it's a pretty generic response.

If Maria wears a catsuit or something else odd, then we'll worry....

Jackson.
Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:22 AM
:rolleyes:

pumbark
Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
yeah....:D

SJW
Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:27 AM
just to clarify...Serena has said this numerous times, starting with when she came back to tennis last year. i know you guys don't like to read so just my way of helping you out :)

venusstar
Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
sorry Serena went off to La La land and Maria followed. I respect the girl's game but she needs to express her own personality in the interview not someone else's. And since last year she has been copying the williams sisters mostly serena but venus also. Maybe it is her people feeding her this nonsense but if its not then they should correct her and let her know that success depends on you having your own personality.

If her lines were original this post would not have been started in the first place.

As flattering as it may be to Venus and Serena that you want to be more like them.....

Maria Be Yourself!

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
She didn't have to read Serena's interview or be at Serena's press conference to hear it. How do you know she didn't read that quote in the paper and decide to recite it for a similar question?
but what i dont understand is WHY she would do that. she's done well in coming up with her own answers so far...

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
This thread is pathetic.
Maria has been marketed as Anna with game.
And Maria has always talked liked that. Just like she has always said she will be world #1.

Dan23
Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:34 PM
This thread is barely worth the server space it takes to store it...
Some of the replies in here are pure and unadulterated crap :haha:

jacobruiz
Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
This thread is barely worth the server space it takes to store it...
Some of the replies in here are pure and unadulterated crap :haha:

Didn't you know that Serena invented the English language and everyone who speaks it is copying her? She also invented fashion, off-court activities, on-court intensity, fist clenches, and going on TV to be interviewed.:lol:

Crazy Canuck
Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:13 PM
Didn't you know that Serena invented the English language and everyone who speaks it is copying her? She also invented fashion, off-court activities, on-court intensity, fist clenches, and going on TV to be interviewed.:lol:
Do you think that your snide remarks are in any way intelligent?

Gee, I wonder where I got that line from. There's no correlation between being snide and being intelligent, dumbass

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:17 PM
becca, i can't believe you don't see the idiocy of this whole thing and how jacobruiz has a somewhat skewed version of the truth.
maria says she's into fashion-- thread-- 10 angry replies that maria is copying serena.

maria is very intense on court-- thread-- 10 angry replies about how inappropriate her behavior is and/or how she is copying serena.

maria does things off court and things for publicity-- thread-- copying serena accusations arise.

jacobruiz
Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:22 PM
Do you think that your snide remarks are in any way intelligent?

Gee, I wonder where I got that line from. There's no correlation between being snide and being intelligent, dumbass

:haha: NO KIDDING!!

:wavey: Sorry if I hurt your "feelings".

Philip
Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:26 PM
i guess serena has copyright to everything she says.
even if it isnt exactly the same quote....

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:46 PM
i guess serena has copyright to everything she says.
even if it isnt exactly the same quote....
i think it's a stretch to call it "close"
and to top it off, the questions were completely different.
why would sharapova memorize serena's answer to a question about falling in the rankings and not winning to answer a question about THE EXACT OPPOSITE.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
becca, i can't believe you don't see the idiocy of this whole thing and how jacobruiz has a somewhat skewed version of the truth.
maria says she's into fashion-- thread-- 10 angry replies that maria is copying serena.

maria is very intense on court-- thread-- 10 angry replies about how inappropriate her behavior is and/or how she is copying serena.

maria does things off court and things for publicity-- thread-- copying serena accusations arise.

I wasn't actually commenting on the post itself, rather on the method of delivery. Jaco knew what I meant, it was an inside thing. Sorry ;)

As for the topic, this is like how everybody who has ever pulled their hair into a braided ponytail or is sponsered by Adidas is "copying" Anna

Crazy Canuck
Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
:haha: NO KIDDING!!

:wavey: Sorry if I hurt your "feelings".
It will take me a while to regroup, but I think I'll be okay.

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
oh, okay.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:46 PM
I tried to rep you to explain it, but it won't let me rep you again yet :p