PDA

View Full Version : Farina ELia vs. Sharapova, is it really open and shut?

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:24 PM
I really think that this match could be challenging, but the way that Sharapova demolished Na Li, I think that she could kill Farina Elia, but Silvia has not dropped a set through three matches and has only lost 17 games, compared to Sharapova who has lost a set...to Lindsay Lee-Waters, but has only lost 15 games. What do you guys think?

sartrista7
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:30 PM
Farina Elia leads the head-to-head 1-0, and that win was a pretty comprehensive 7-6 6-0 one in Rome last year. It's certainly not open and shut.

jonny84
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:31 PM
Anything can happen of course - tennis has always been full of upsets so it is possible for Silvia to win. Remember of course that Maria lost to "veteran" Pierce in the US Open, so she can easily lose to "veteran" Silvia. We just have to wait and see.

Andrew.
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:32 PM
I think the win over Li was not at all shocking. Li has no wins over top 20 players, and her 2004 record is very inflated. When you play 50K's the majority of the time, you're bound to have a record like that if you're "that good". Silvia could cause some trouble, but I doubt there will be an upset here.

fleemke³
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:33 PM
I really hope Silvia wins this :cool:

skanky~skanketta
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:35 PM
i hope to god that silvia can upset sharapova. i've had enough of her screams. that and i cant stand her. and i adore silvia and it would be great for her to make the QF's of the AO for the first time in her career. and it would be great if she could do it by upsetting the world #4. courts are slow, but that damn sharapova is playing well.

Almalyk
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:45 PM
I hope Silvia wins - or at least puts up a solid fight - I was impressed with her game yesterday!

Grohl
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:53 PM
anything can happen in that match!
I think it could be a very exiting match, hope silvia wins it,
but you can't tell for sure!

steve2005
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:54 PM
I think it would be better for Maria to win, think about it if Silvia wins shes hardly likely to be a challenge for the next opponant.

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:55 PM
If Sharapova plays well, she'll win. But the slower the surface, the more it favors Farina Elia. Her three tour wins were all Strasbourg. Sharapova hits so much harder, she's much likelier to hit a UE. Farina Elia is in good shape, and it hasn't been hot hot, this year. If she can extend the points enough, even if she's losing, she has a chance.

But this if definitely a case of, if Sharapova can get in a groove, she can run away with this. A junkballer who hits with depth, and has a lot of footspeed, could take Sharapova on this surface. But does that describe Farina Elia?

KV
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:56 PM
Don't think it will be a 3 setter. It's up to Masha. If she plays decent she'll win in straight sets.

baleineau
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:24 PM
i think sylvia, if she can vary the pace and keep the ball deep, can win this. she played error-free positive tennis against Baltacha. of course Sharapova is way better than Baltacha, but they both have a similar "thrive on pace, go for broke style". farina-elia will certainly be stiff opposition, and could win it.

my main concern would be for Sylvia's nerves, because she really does look tight in close matches, and tends to blow big leads. she also rarely wins against the top players, and i think that is mental.

sharapova needs to miss a lot, farina needs to spin a crafty error-free web of consistent shot-making.