PDA

View Full Version : Sania couldnt sleep for last night cos she had butterflies in stomach ;) ......

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:37 PM
and praise from Serena :worship:
cute eh ;)
and there's Sania Mania spreading all over India and sub-continent ;)

Mirza admitted: "I had butterflies in my stomach for two days. I couldn't get to sleep last night.

"In the first set I was really tight but I was more confident as I got the feel of play.

"I had some good chances but she took her chances when it counted. "That's the difference between girls in the top 10 and the rest of us. She played the big points better."

"I don't think it was a walk in the park," said Williams afterwards.

"I told her to keep up the good work because it was good to see someone from India for the first time do so well.

"I was excited to see someone particularly do so well from that country, and I told her to keep fighting. "I think she has a very solid game, especially to be so young, she's only 18. I definitely see a very bright future for her."

SJW
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:41 PM
yea Serena was really nice with her after the match. she didnt seem star struck at all from what i saw (second set...damn Eurosport)

korben
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:41 PM
Sania loses in tennis but wins Australian hearts:

[Sports India]: Melbourne, Jan 21 : India's emerging sports heartthrob Sania Mirza may have lost in the Australian Open to one of the best exponents of tennis, but she has won legion of fans with her dashing game, mild demeanour and debonair looks.

The Australian Open organisers usually do not expect anything sensational in a preliminary round women's match, but the atmosphere in Sania's match against seventh seed Serena Williams can be described in one word - electric.

The third round game had everything the organisers could ask for - full house, competitive tennis and tremendous atmosphere.

Sania, a wildcard entry in this Grand Slam tournament, clearly looked overawed in the presence of flamboyant, larger than life Serena in the first set which she lost 1-6 to the American, who is trying to put the memories of a bleak 2004 behind her.

Thanks to vocal support from flag-waving Indian fans and her own inner resolve, Sania gave a tough fight to Serena extending the second set to a close 6-4. The fact that she saved two match points on her serve, reflects the spirit this young Indian girl possesses.

The Indian community has been rallying behind this great brown hope ever since her wild card entry in the season opening grand slam tourney was announced. It would not be a gross exaggeration to say that in the past one week Sania has emerged from Sania who? to become the most well known Indian personality walking the southern hemisphere.

A large number of Indian fans were disappointed by the timing of the match as it ran into prime time television programming by the official telecaster Channel Seven. Undoubtedly, pubs and bars with pay-television sports channels may have benefited from the brown-skinned cheer squads.

The teenagers among the South Asian community have instantly adopted her as their pin-up girl. The fact that the education institutions in Australia are closed for summer break has added to the building of hype around Sania's Melbourne campaign.

The unbridled, one-day-cricket-like enthusiasm was on full display in the Friday Melbourne Open game at Flinders Park as team Sania thronged the arena with tricolours, placards and painted faces. The number of spectators in the Sania-Serena game was clearly higher than the one that featured current Russian heartthrob Maria Sharapova.

The excitement shown by the Sania brigade on Friday at Flinders Park is usually reserved for the likes of Sachin Tendulkars, Aishwarya Rais and Daler Mehndis.

Sania may not remember or respond positively to a cheeky placard saying 'Marry me Sania' but she would certainly remember the Melbourne Grand Slam as her entry point to what is known as the top tier of women's tennis.

Indo-Asian News Service

Libertango
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:42 PM
Another nice article thanks! And Vee and Serena are starting to say such nice things about the young up-and-coming players. In fact alot of the top players are. Nice to see :)

volta
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:45 PM
yeah Rena said alot of things to her they were talking @ the net .
yeah she has a great game and good groundstrokes
Very nice interview and Rena one more time shows top class so that you haters can swalow.

Mrs. Peel
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM
I thought Sania was just adorable and that forehand was lethal :eek:

Serena again giving praise when due :worship:

SerialKiller#69
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM
sania looks a lot better now than the last time i saw her play in a juniors match. she had a bad acne problem before.

tom2791
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:00 PM
I sooo like Sania and I really enjoyed watching the match. At one points she had 3 break points but I think she failed to take them because I had to go somewhere but anyway I think she is a top 10 player and I hope by the end of the year she will be in the top 100!

Jan 21st, 2005, 04:23 PM
Nice stuff from Serena! :)

mishar
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:25 PM
I surprised myself: Sania Mirza

Press Trust Of India (http://www.expressindia.com/about/feedback.html?url=http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=41059&title=I%20surprised%20myself:%20Sania%20Mirza)
Posted online: Friday, January 21, 2005 at 2051 hours IST

Melbourne, January 21: Indian sports' new pin-up girl Sania Mirza today said she surprised herself with her gallant performance against American superstar Serena Williams at the Australian Open Grand Slam and would not settle for any thing less than a top-10 ranking in her career.

The 18-year-old from Hyderabad said she had proved that she had the potential to become a world-beater. "I'm really happy because although people have spoken about potential and I have always believed in myself, you never know for sure until you play the best," Sania told PTI in an interview here.

“Regardless of ranking I believe she is the world's best player and I am happy that I could compete. I showed that I can really play at a top 10 level if I keep improving."

“I felt that if it was one of the other seeds today and I played the way I did in the second set I would have won. "That gives me the encouragement to work on my second serves, my variation, my fitness and my court coverage.

"I don't think I should be happy with top-100 or top-50. I want to perform at the highest level consistently." Sania said she was jittery at the start of the match but once she settled down, she was able to play her natural game. "I was a nervous in the beginning and had butterflies in my stomach. She is good enough to double-bagel a lot of much more highly ranked players," she said.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 21st, 2005, 05:06 PM
sania!thats so cute. clearly she has loads of respect for serena. you know the girl is good when she can hit 11 winners against serena when serena is playing well.

serena, girl, u're the best. this is the first time i've seen you actually have a long chat with a player after a match. and the stuff you told her and the press is just so sweet!lets win the title girl. just keep up the level of play and step it up when u need to. great serving today.

i do believe that sania has the potential to go much further. she won quite a lot of points on her first serve so thats pretty solid. her second serve could use a little help, but that comes with time (or may never come at all). improve the backhand and dont be afraid to go to the net. pretty cool forehand though. and take ur and try not to tighten up when you're playing a speedy opponent.