PDA

View Full Version : Give Li Na some credit pls!!! So what if she lost 6-0, 6-2?

New
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:43 AM
Maria was simply too good! I have not seen such accuracy plus defensive play all mixed up perfectly from her for a long time! She did well there!! :bounce:

As for Li Na, yes, true she play very badly with high unforced errors, but I can see she was nervous and after all we seem to have forgotten that she was up against the Wimbledon Champion and has not play a grand slam for a while.

I think she did all she could, but the strokes just weren't there. But she had the right attitude to go for it still, Lee Waters would not be applauded if she had not went for it, but played defensively instead. So work on it and increase your confidence on huge crowd courts and improve your accuracy a bit, hopefully, you'll be more prepared for the French Open! :bounce:

As for Maria!! Keep playing like that and you got your second Grand Slam! :)

volta
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
she played good she just missed alot of balls everytime they were into rallies. The board doens´t show what happend on court it wasn´t all that easy for Maria

New
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:53 AM
she played good she just missed alot of balls everytime they were into rallies. The board doens´t show what happend on court it wasn´t all that easy for Maria

it just wasn't her day...when she played against ASAGOE, I din see much out balls... :sad:

I just want to argue for her... True, the hype was there, but it's clouding the fact that she's still a normal human and not some kinda of Goddess with no feelings of fear, nervousness or anything and everyone is saying how overrated she is. I still think she's good, but she needs more experience.

When you start to play a match, and everything goes wrong right from the start, it's difficult to make a comeback, i mean how do you make a comeback when all your shots fly out? Do you try to change your style to defensive- moonballing and hope for the opponent to miss?

I really think she needs to work on a back up plan, cos when shots starts to fly out, she seems lost, and uninspired. I think that's one of the reasons why she was bagelled in the last set by Zheng last week... :sad:

Hayato
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:56 AM
some people don't understand what it is like for a low ranked player who is promising who has to play on centre court in front of hundreds of people. You can't just expect them to do well. It's a different game, being in front of 50 people and being in front of 20,000.

New
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:58 AM
some people don't understand what it is like for a low ranked player who is promising who has to play on centre court in front of hundreds of people. You can't just expect them to do well. It's a different game, being in front of 50 people and being in front of 20,000.

:hug: that's what I'm trying to say!!

Chunchun
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:01 PM
:yeah:

New
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:03 PM
:yeah:

Thanks for your support!!! :)

kfh_9118
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:08 PM
:worship:

I have faith in Li Na that she will do very well in the future ;)

Julia1968
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:11 PM
Oh, it 'twas 1989 at the US Open, when little Monica Seles, 15, took on #4 ranked Chris Evert in the 4th round at the US Open. In the second to last match Evert ever played professionally, she defeated Monica Seles in a similar fashion. Seles' youth and inexperienced showed that day. As well expected.

As Li Na begins to play in more main draws of Grand Slam tournaments, her results will undoubtedly improve. She is a talented player who will figure out a way to beat higher-ranked opponents with experience.

New
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:11 PM
:worship:

I have faith in Li Na that she will do very well in the future ;)

:hug: Thank you too!!

But it might not be so soon cos this loss could have been a devastating effect...

I hope she doesn't end up like my dear Tammy who always lead against top player (e.g 2-0), but ends up losing to them due to mental block I guess... :sad:

New
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:13 PM
Oh, it 'twas 1989 at the US Open, when little Monica Seles, 15, took on #4 ranked Chris Evert in the 4th round at the US Open. In the second to last match Evert ever played professionally, she defeated Monica Seles in a similar fashion. Seles' youth and inexperienced showed that day. As well expected.

As Li Na begins to play in more main draws of Grand Slam tournaments, her results will undoubtedly improve. She is a talented player who will figure out a way to beat higher-ranked opponents with experience.

Really??? I always thought Seles splashed into the scene with a huge impact winning everyone convincingly!! Thanks for sharing that!! :) :hug:

stijntje
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:19 PM
she did reach the third round, so that's not bad for Na Li ;)

Wiggly
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:20 PM
She can beats like top 50 but top 20 is too difficult for her.....

©@®eLess
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:48 PM
Li Na, Ana Ivanovic and Sania Mirza are great players, but just had a bad day. Don't we all have a bad day now and then :).

jj74
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:52 PM

You are right but there are a little diference, Evert was a veteran a Seles a novice, but Maria is younger than Li. But anyway everyone have a bad day from time to time

GrassGOAT
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM
This was Na Li's first grand slam and I think she do very well. After all, the best performance by a Chinese woman in the grand slam was 4th round last year at the frency by Zheng... and Na reached the third round in her first effort. So, I think she had a very good tournament. :)

Harju.
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:02 PM
Well she really did play below subpar in this match perhaps it was the nerves and on the other hand Sharapova played really well.

Na against Kuznetsova/Pratt did not show today, I assure you that.

TartarVicario
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Na isn't a real deal and that's all.

Her style of play ain't that impressive.

davidmario
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM
Li's serve was defenitly too weak! There were some great rallies but Li always faulted in the end. The commentator said, it was her dream to play the French. Hopefully she will be there. Reaching the third round is a good thing for Na.

Joana
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:37 PM
I do know how you feel. It was almost the same story with Ana Ivanovic last night. I agree with you about everything you said. It was just one match. Sooooo many more still to come. :)

tom2791
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:45 PM
I agree she still did play well for the reasons. And she wasn't even seeded so making 3rd round was still very good!

UDiTY
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:06 PM
She had 3 winners and 27 UE's....and Maria only had 9 winners.

She's a good player, but she played like crap yesterday.

:p

SerialKiller#69
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM
I'm surprised a lot of people were expecting so much from Na Li. :shrug: Watched a couple of her games, and I knew she was dead meat.

Experimentee
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:23 PM
She played well against Asagoe, and you could still see she was talented from the match against Sharapova. But it was an extremely off day for her, everything was flying out and Sharapova was just on fire. All that combined to create that score, but hopefully she will do better next time she plays a top player in a grand slam.

Pengwin
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:21 PM
Well name one player that played well in her first ever grand slam against a top-4 player.

Xian
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:37 PM
Well name one player that played well in her first ever grand slam against a top-4 player.
Mirjana Lucic US Open 1997 26 76 36 vs Jana Novotna third round
Barbara Schwartz French Open 1998 26 67 vs Monica Seles third round

I think there were some players who actually played well ;)

Martian KC
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:59 PM
The Chinese players are just going through the same ordeal as the Russians 3, 4 years ago. They need more experience against top players. It's that simple.

But I have faith In Na Li. She's the most impressive of the bunch!

Hayato
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:46 PM
This is very similar to Neffa-de los Rios vs. Clijsters in Wimbledon 03

Clijsters won 60 60, but this Rossana was one of the very few times Rossana played in front of so many people. It's a different game infront of so many people, and if LI Na had played Maria Sharapova on say court 16 in front of 6 people, it most definately would have been closer.

New
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:18 PM
Do we really have to always say a player has so much potential and a great future ahead of themselves everytime they get beaten by a top player!

Come straight out and tell the truth like DOkic did "she's not a player and i guess she never will be one"

Well, for your information, Li Na will be climbing the rankings more since she has absolutely nothing to defend till May's ITF events. :ras:

PointBlank
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:28 PM
She wasnt in her first slam though. ;)

New
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:30 PM
She wasnt in her first slam though. ;)

Yah, but she was ill and did not play for 2 whole years... :sad:

Lemonskin.
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:33 PM
She's OK.

She just had an off day, and Maria was playing very well. It happens. We move on.

andrewC
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM
Yah, but she was ill and did not play for 2 whole years... :sad:

Don't think she was ill for 2 years... I think she was doing journalism at university and wanted to concentrate on studies for a bit. But hey she's back now, we shouldn't judge her whole future and whether she's overhyped or a failure or whatever just because she lost a match to the world number 4... :rolleyes: Keep doin what your doin Li, you'll keep on climbing up the rankings :) top 50 soon, i can feel it!