PDA

View Full Version : I don't think the day will ever come when China will dominate the game.

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:35 AM
Na Li is being destoryed by Sharapova. A minute or two after thie thread starts, the match will be over. I'm totally disappointed in Li.. her winner/error ratio is the worst I have ever seen from any player...

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:48 AM
Chinese people are too small for them to dominate tennis. We may get a "Kimiko Date" here and there but that's about it.

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:50 AM
Sam L you r wrong about the size of Chinese ppl. There are a lot of tall ones. You don't have to be 185cm to be a great tennis player. In china's case it's more about how seriously the ministry of sports takes tennis.

moby
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:53 AM
That's not entirely true. China has 1.3+ billion people. The probability favours some tall people with the prerequisite physique who are suitable for tennis. China can and probably will dominate tennis once they see tennis as a sport worth dominating. Look at what they've done in table tennis, badminton, and diving: Strict selection procedures, putting children in training camps from a very young age.

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:55 AM
You can't manufacture athletes like you manufacture cheap electronics. My prediction is they will never dominate.

Almalyk
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:58 AM
Lets just wait and see.... I don't see it happening for awhile, but good things take time.

moby
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:58 AM
You can't manufacture athletes like you manufacture cheap electronics. My prediction is they will never dominate.
You can manufacture athletes. Do you think the top tennis players are where they are simply because they are so talented? A lot of hard work has to go into developing a sportsperson.

Your prediction may be right, but not for the reasons you mentioned.

CCCP1
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:59 AM
Li was notvery good at all, I was surprised.

Thauron
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM
Lets just wait and see.... I don't see it happening for awhile, but good things take time.

Totally agree :worship:

xin_hui
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:01 AM
Chinese people are too small for them to dominate tennis. We may get a "Kimiko Date" here and there but that's about it.
this is so not true. you do not need to be of venus or lindsay's height to succeed. look at martina and justine, they're not exactly tall, are they? for eg, peng shuai is a very tall gal.

xin_hui
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:01 AM
Li was notvery good at all, I was surprised.
this isnt her usual standard

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:03 AM
but we all have to adimit we overhyped Na Li. I have never seen her play and didn't make any bold prediction about her, though.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:08 AM
Weren't there the same threads about Russia 2-3 yrs ago :p

China hasnt even taken it seriously yet, watch after Beijing Games or near then, it will explode.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:10 AM
The Chinese as a group of players are a little overhyped, the Na Li is solid but will never have a big enough game to reach top 20 - Peng however is the real deal, definately top 10 within next 2 years & a possible future world number 1 methinks.

Shonami Slam
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:15 AM
look, i think in order to judge do they have a chance in tennis, we can look at how they dealy with other major sports that they were under-par.
in soccer and basketball for example, they have a few good players, but it's not enough to be a threat to any european or american state. and they have given it a try for quite some time now.
in biathlon on the other hand - 10 years time and they have got a good number of extremely powerful and well ranked players.
instead of saying that thier hight, or wight or whatever is a factor - we should look at other sports to see how they are doing, that as an indicator to thier success.
my final point is that this year, they produced the second most medals in the olympics, and the next games are held there...
they are going to make the next three years very red indead.
my prediction - top 20 chinese player by the end of this season, with most probability bieng zheng.
consistent.

Grohl
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
maybe in a very faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar future?!?

Gowza
Jan 21st, 2005, 10:06 AM
what i see from the chinese are good groundies but not much else, na li and shaui peng there serves arent the fastest and the placement could be better, movement is ok but needs to be better and volleys, peng cant really volley but didnt see na volley so dont know. as for zheng, i saw her when she reached the 4th round of whatever slam it was and she didnt impress me at all, i actually wondered how she could have got that far in a slam.

in saying this they have good groundies and thats a good base in todays game, if they can work on the other aspects of their games then they could get a couple in or around the top 30.

Zhao
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:43 AM
Li Na is not herself today absolutely!
i seen her match against Kuznetsova and i can tell u her performance today is only 20% of her usual standard... its due to her nerves and pressure...

bee
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM
Time will tell.. who knows..
They dominate Table Tennis and Badminton....
One really doesn't need to be really tall to be good in women's tennis...
Just good training and full Government Support....

In time... China would produce somebody like Ai or Kimiko ...

Greenout
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:19 PM
Time will tell.. who knows..
They dominate Table Tennis and Badminton....
One really doesn't need to be really tall to be good in women's tennis...
Just good training and full Government Support....

In time... China would produce somebody like Ai or Kimiko ...

Having been seen Kimiko in her glory days, I can tell you
that none of these players are near her level.

In order to be a good tour player (top 16) you have to
do something great, and have outstanding skills.

Kimiko Date was a great fighter, yes; but she was quick
around the court. She didn't have loose shots either- great
on the left wing or the right wing. She had problems with
Lindsay- because of the huge serve; but other than she
could rally with the best of them in the 1990's.

Ai on the other hand is quick. You seen her play- she
has incredible anticipation and court coverage. Ai also
takes the ball on the rise- none of which I seen this week
from the Asian players. Ai's speed is better than some
of the top 10. This is the standard you have to live up
to in greatness. As quick or quicker than a top 10 player.

stijntje
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:22 PM
I think Sam is right... The fysionomy of Chinese players just doesn't really suit the perfect body for een tennis player... Although the might have some great youngsters... ;)

Kart
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:26 PM
Weren't there the same threads about Russia 2-3 yrs ago :p

China hasnt even taken it seriously yet, watch after Beijing Games or near then, it will explode.
:worship:

Watch and wait.

Chunchun
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:08 PM
:anzela: :retard:

jj74
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM
You can manufacture top 30 players, but not a real champion.

AnDyDog621
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:48 PM
You can manufacture top 30 players, but not a real champion.
Wasn't JHH manufacture kind of? she worked off season to gain strength and train incredibly hard and then POOF...she became a real champion...

Lindsey was also a work in process before she became a real champion

Experimentee
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:04 PM
You cant make that statement just from seeing one match :retard:
Na Li played badly in that match, i think her nerves got to her. And Sharapova was on fire, so you cant fault her for that.
About the size, there are lots of Chinese people who are tall, just look at the Olympics. Many tall and strong Chinese athletes there! Na Li and Tian Tian Sun are two current Chinese players who are tall. Chinese tennis has much potential and is about where the Russians were at a few years ago.

Grachka
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Russia - restricted country - fewer good players.
Russia - free country - onslaught of good players

China - restricted country - fewer good players
China - when over a billion people can do what they like - i'm scared to think what will happen!
:rolleyes:

Fantastic
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:27 PM
There's no way anyone can say for sure whether or not the Chinese women will dominate tennis. The Russian "domination" is a freak occurence that hasn't happened since the sixties and seventies when every third name in any Grand Slam draw was either an Aussie, a Brit or a Yank.

bubble
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:41 PM
Just wait and watch... China will be coming like the Russians..
They are now preparing..
Just look at the tennis site they are building for the ATP Tennis Masters Cup this year... China means business in tennis...

xin_hui
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM
Tennis isn't in the China culture yet, but with KFC China promoting tennis like hell, offering free tennis lessons for buying their meals.

Really really really please please please don't post crap if you don't know anything about China.
oh yah. i saw the kfc tennis promotions in just about every KFC i saw in china when i was there:lol:

cheesestix
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM

What about Yao Ming? :lol:

And size didn't seem to be a problem with Michael Chang. He never dominated, but he won a slam.

Lleyton Hewitt is small, but he is/was the best at one time.

cheesestix
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:35 PM
Tennis isn't in the China culture yet, but with KFC China promoting tennis like hell, offering free tennis lessons for buying their meals.

Really really really please please please don't post crap if you don't know anything about China.

I agree. And they ARE the next/other superpower. If tennis becomes big in China, they will be a lot more well known (maybe even dominate) in the tennis world.

per4ever
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM
May be lots of chinese are small.. but looking at their basketballteams (and they are great especially the womens team) I have to assume they have a lot of big girls too ;)

Slumpsova
Jan 21st, 2005, 05:59 PM
i do believe that China will dominate in every sports they want. just wait and see.

jonny84
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:25 PM
Well young tennis players will look up to Li, Peng, Ting, Zheng and Sun and can use them as role models.

Look at the surge of young Russians now in the sport looking up to Myskina and Dementieva.