PDA

View Full Version : Women's tennis is gettin boring

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:45 AM
with more n more Russians coming up... no offense to Russia but I can't helt but feel this way.. too many players from one single country... Anybody else feels the same?

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:46 AM
By the way I admit I'm bitter now as two of my favorites lost to Russians today.

jrm
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:50 AM
It's the quality that matters not the amount of players from one country

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:53 AM
But what if we had nine russians in the last 16? And which is not quite out of the question either... Every time a Russian player is on the court, I can't help but root for the other player... not that I don't like Russia but 9 out of 16 is just way too many given tennis is such an international sport.. could hurt the popularity of the sport.

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:59 AM
I really want Na Li to stop Sharapova but so far it's not going all too well... Na Li lost the first three games... I think too many players from one country dominating the rankings hurts the sport.

Foot's Fingers
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:02 AM
They are so different to each others

And last years when you have a lot of Americans? Was it better for you?

GO RUSSIA!!!! I m like this.
During this AO i see matches played by Myskina - twice, Dementieva - twice, Sharapova - twice -- now Na Li 0 third, Linetskaya, Petrova, Likhovtseva, Safina , Anna C and want MORE!!!!

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:04 AM
Well casual fans tend to support players of their own so popularity wise tennis' future doesn't look bright at all.

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:55 AM
bump as another Russian got a berth in the last 16.

Thauron
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:58 AM
I am not troubled about the Russian revolution so far.
Most of them have very different styles. Actually I love to see most of them play as the style os some of them differs quite a lot from the tennis we've gotten used to during the Williams era (Myskina especially) - I love to see them rise, 'cause they bring more variety and more competition to the game.
Also it's pretty absurd to impose quota's per nationality, don't you think? - and it's not the russians' fault most of the girls from the other countries can't cope with them, is it?

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:01 AM
I have never said it's their fault that they dominate the sport. I'm happy for them but the sport in general isn't lookin too healthy as probably the most international sport in the world after football.

Grohl
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:23 AM
I don't find it getting boring at all!
these days you can't tell who's gonna play the final, a few years ago, you were for sure it was gonna be williams against williams or capriati or davenport or clijsters or henin.
Now it's full of suprises!
but I can't wait for kim to come back!

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:26 AM
But my point is most of the tennis fans watch tennis supporting their compatriots. Especially those who follow the sport only casually lose interest as soon as the last player from their countries has lost.

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:28 AM
For example: Tennis in general is more popular than 10 years ago in Japan but TV rates were so much better then as we had Kimiko Date. After she retired, we have hardly had anything to talk about from the tour. Of course thanks to the Internet, ppl can follow the tour more easily but still the TV coverage we had then was so much better than the one we r gettin these days thanks to luck of top players from our country.

Grohl
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:28 AM
But my point is most of the tennis fans watch tennis supporting their compatriots. Especially those who follow the sport only casually lose interest as soon as the last player from their countries has lost.
not me, kim and justine aren't plalying, but my absolute faves aren't even from my country!
I watch tennis all of the time, even when none of my faves are playing!

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:30 AM
not me, kim and justine aren't plalying, but my absolute faves aren't even from my country!
I watch tennis all of the time, even when none of my faves are playing!

Of course ppl on this board are far from casual fans.. they are rather die hard tennis fans. but the majority of ppl who watch tennis follow only players from their country or a handful of big names.
So it can hurt the popularity of the tour if there are too many players from one country playing every single event.

Shonami Slam
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:32 AM
they look good, they play great, and they have one hell of a big country.
anna K was unofficially declared savour of women's tennis.
she brought game, class and beauty to it.
it made people aware that this really is a nobel, royal game!
nowadays, evryone seem alot prettier, alot stronger, they know how to deal with the press.
the have so much more personality than they used to.
sure, navratilova, conchita and steffi were goddesses.
but now - you have great players with a true personal view of things, and unique features all through the top 200!
russian tennis brought a new aspect to the game - it's not the american power-play (lindsay, williams, raymond and even rubin) that worked for a few years - it's beautiful technique.
people here suggested that the chinese are on thier way to do the same.
i think the czechs are getting there first.
you don't just play for yourself. you represent a nation that stands behind you in some way or another, and the russians are just showing that they are a nation of fighters, that want to be best. only the best.
i'd love to see the brits, and spaniards and the french work harder to get in the very top like the russians do.
i'd love to see another madagascari, thai, israeli or greek player getting into the top 100.
national heroes bring more players.
the russians are just REALLY going for the "bring more" part.

Grohl
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:32 AM
Of course ppl on this board are far from casual fans.. they are rather die hard tennis fans. but the majority of ppl who watch tennis follow only players from their country or a handful of big names.
So it can hurt the popularity of the tour if there are too many players from one country playing every single event.
could be true!

Shoulderpova
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:37 AM
But what if we had nine russians in the last 16? And which is not quite out of the question either... Every time a Russian player is on the court, I can't help but root for the other player... not that I don't like Russia but 9 out of 16 is just way too many given tennis is such an international sport.. could hurt the popularity of the sport.
you do dislike Russia.They come here because they have worked hard, they're talent and maybe a litter more lucky than the others.So don't wonder why there are so many Russians playing out there.
This is the time when Russians dominate tennis world and they'll take it for long :)

Drimal
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:38 AM

I don't think so. There are many tennis fans which support players from other countries.

For example I support the players of my country (Luxembourg) and they have lost all in the first round.
But I support also players from other counties; for example France (Amelie Mauresmo), Russia (Anastasia Myskina, Elena Dementieva, Dinara Safina) or Croatia (Karolina Sprem) and so do many others.

See only the many fans of Maria Sharapova or Daniela Hantuchova at this board and look what country they are from and you will see they are not all coming from the country of their favourite player. ;)

And Russian tennis fans certainly don't support all their players, but there are players they like more and others they like less. The same is with the American tennis fans which prefer some players from their country to others players of their country. ;)

PS: The Russian rise is not making the WTA tour boring but I think we have the most equal Top Ten since years and you can't predict who will win the Aussie Open. :D

Shoulderpova
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:39 AM
By the way now I find women's tennis more interesting than ever before
Go RUSSIA:bigclap::bounce::smooch:

Grohl
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:40 AM
true!
I'm from belgium, and kim is one of my faves, but she's been out for some time now and I'm still watching tennis!
my other faves are sprem, camerin, marrero, schiavone, farina elia, bovina,
I will always find a reason to watch tennis!

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:40 AM
Oh well case closed as this board really doesn't represent general population.

Grohl
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:41 AM
Oh well case closed as this board really doesn't represent general population.
I think this board onlyl has fantatics!

Jackson.
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:52 AM
I thought it was more exciting than ever :shrug:

So many different girls could win the title. Would you prefer an open field or every tournament being dominated by 2-3 players (etc Williams & Belgian domination)

stenen
Jan 21st, 2005, 10:03 AM
with more n more Russians coming up... no offense to Russia but I can't helt but feel this way.. too many players from one single country... Anybody else feels the same?

Well daaaahling you can always watch men's tennis :p :lol:

10nisfanofruz
Jan 21st, 2005, 10:23 AM
I think that Women's tennis is getting more interesting when the russians keep coming up.
It's fascinating to see they dominate the WTA tour. :lol: All of the russians are tough and such a fighter.
If they fight each other, won't it be interesting to watch? ;) :worship:

I believe that at least one russian will be in semi final<AO> and the winner will be russian. ;) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

hablo
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM
I like what's happening now in women's tennis (unlike the men now that Federer is playing to his full potential) : we don't know for sure who will win grand slams; although the sport could do without all the injuries to a number of players!! ;) :p

stijntje
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't call it boring, but I miss Justine and especially Kim... :sad:

Libertango
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:54 PM
For me its not the Russians that are making the game boring. I really enjoy watching watching them play, and personalities like Sharapova, Myskina and Dementieva are good for the womens game.

What is making womens tennis a bit boring for me atm is the predictability of it, especially in the early rounds of slams for example. Think of some of matches in the first week that we've been looking forward to: Davenport-Martinez, Sharapova-Li, Mauresmo-Ivanovic....All ended up being low-quality, boring, predictable matches, with none going to 3 sets. In the 8 matches we've had in the 3rd round so far, ALL have been straight sets, and only one went against the rankings (Linetskaya d. Frazier) There is just no drama in womens tennis sometimes. Having said that the later matches are usually great, and I hope I'm not disappointed this time too :)

Oh and dare i say that Davenport-Vaidisova and Dementieva-Hantuchova should be good matches tonight?! ;) :yeah:

Princess Fiona
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:42 PM
For me its not the Russians that are making the game boring. I really enjoy watching watching them play, and personalities like Sharapova, Myskina and Dementieva are good for the womens game.

What is making womens tennis a bit boring for me atm is the predictability of it, especially in the early rounds of slams for example. Think of some of matches in the first week that we've been looking forward to: Davenport-Martinez, Sharapova-Li, Mauresmo-Ivanovic....All ended up being low-quality, boring, predictable matches, with none going to 3 sets. In the 8 matches we've had in the 3rd round so far, ALL have been straight sets, and only one went against the rankings (Linetskaya d. Frazier) There is just no drama in womens tennis sometimes. Having said that the later matches are usually great, and I hope I'm not disappointed this time too :)

Oh and dare i say that Davenport-Vaidisova and Dementieva-Hantuchova should be good matches tonight?! ;) :yeah:
(*crossing fingers* ;) )

I agree - I think it can be frustrating when some of these matches are 'hyped up' only for the match to be over very quickly with a heavy defeat... And this can give ammunition to some of the people who don't think so highly of women's tennis, grrr!!

(Not as frustrating for me as for the players concerned I imagine... I could not do what they do... :o ;) )

I do certainly like the fact that women's tennis is so much more open these days. :)

(And I like the Russians - I want to look cool like Myskina... :cool: *sigh* ;) )

rated_next
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:45 PM
It used to be the Americans dominating, but now Serena is all alone in the bottom section, :eek: while there are 5 russians.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:56 PM
Well daaaahling you can always watch men's tennis :p :lol:
As well he should. Mens tennis is much better :)

anthonyqld
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:01 PM
The Russian domination is good for the sport. Lots of media publicity generated because of it.

But I guarentee that a Russian won't win the AO. They suck to much in the heat(except Sharapova).

volta
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:03 PM
we are getting less and less those WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW shots.

oh womens tennis ain´t like the mens thats obvious the prob with womens tennis i think is that a top 30 and sometimes a top 20 player doesn´t win over the top 10 asside from the mens that top 50 or lower give huge fight over the top 10 the lvl of women tennis from the top 10 above has to raise much much more

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:47 PM
I agree that Women's game has more depth than before thus is more predictable now. But all I'm sayin is this Russian domination doesn't help tennis with popularity.

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:47 PM
I think when the Williams sisters were dominatin, tennis was more popular.

Hayato
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:44 PM
It's better to have lots of Russians than 2 Americans and 2 Belgians.

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:49 PM
with more n more Russians coming up... no offense to Russia but I can't helt but feel this way.. too many players from one single country... Anybody else feels the same?No, not really. A couple years ago there were five Frenchwomen in the top ten. I wish more of the Russians would get off the baseline, but I had the same complaint about the Americans two years ago.

clementine
Jan 21st, 2005, 09:51 PM
LOL. Even Sharapova is bored with women's tennis (apologies if this was posted already):

TENNIS NOTEBOOK

SELECTIVE VIEWING: Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova acknowledged that she only watches tennis on television "when I'm feeling really, really bored." And if she does, it's nearly always men's matches.

"I always like exciting matches, I always loved when Agassi played Pete Sampras, I thought those were classic matches where the tennis is unbelievable. Obviously Roger (Federer) is playing out of his mind right now, you can never get bored watching him.

"As for the women, I don't really watch the women too much."

Sharapova said after her straight-sets third-round win over Li Na on Friday that her Wimbledon win hasn't changed her as a person, only as a player.

"When I play top players or seeded players, I know that I'm No. 4 in the world," she said. "When they see me in the draw, they don't say `I really wanted to play her'.

"I feel a bit of confidence in myself even if I'm playing a seeded player or one on a roll."