PDA

View Full Version : Davenport: Beware of advancing Chinese (article)

DelMonte
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12001834%255E2722,00.html

Beware of advancing Chinese: Davenport
Patrick Miles
21jan05

WORLD No.1 Lindsay Davenport believes China is the rising force of the women's game after significant investment by central and provincial government is putting the country on the map, as evidenced by the appearance of five women in the main draw of the Australian Open.

Four of them did not survive the second round but the country's No.3 player, Na Li, made it to the third and will face Russia's Wimbledon champion, Maria Sharapova, today for a place in the round of 16.
Peng Shuai was eliminated 6-3 6-1 yesterday by the eighth-seeded American Venus Williams but would have been content with her month, having reached the semi-finals of the Sydney International last week before losing to Alicia Molik.

Davenport had her own struggles yesterday against 24-year-old Czech Michaela Pastikova 2-6 6-2 6-2 before declaring there was a new threat emerging in the form of the Chinese.

"I think that China's come a long way in producing a bunch of players," the world No.1 said. "While there is no-one in the top 10 or top 20 yet, all of a sudden they've got five or six legitimate players in the top at least 100 that are improving rapidly.

"It seems like tennis has kind of caught on in that part of the world. I've heard that because of the Olympics next time around, they've put a lot of money into it and are trying to develop these players. It seems to have really helped.

"Five years ago, I don't remember any player from China. Now we've got, like I said, five or six good ones."

The emergence of the Chinese women is partly as a result of Beijing's successful bid to host the 2008 Olympic Games. More money is being spent on sport in the world's most populous country.

But the men are nowhere in sight, barely registering on the ATP rankings radar.

That is all set to change with the construction of the world's largest tennis facility in Shanghai, which will hold the year-end Tennis Masters Cup for the next three years.

What is now a building site will become by July a tennis centre to rate with the best in the world. The Shanghai government will then be expecting some return on an investment of more $US200million ($263m), and the pay-off could come at the Olympics.

The ATP's director of communications, Iggy Jovanovic, said at Melbourne Park yesterday that the Chinese authorities had approached the men's ruling body for help in establishing the sport, not only at the top but also at grassroots level.

"The people have got a taste for tennis, and the kids are coming out of the woodwork," Jovanovic said.

The ATP has a second tournament there now -- the China Open in Beijing -- and Jovanovic expects the men to start making an impression.

Pengwin
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Davenport is a wise woman, I'd believe what she says.

Zhao
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Davenport :worship:

Golinds
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Lindsay with her wise words of wisdom. :worship: :bowdown:

abbygael
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:37 PM
she really knows how to answer those questions, no wonder in her interviews she is only being asked of formal questions and not much worthless intiguing questions.

lindsayno1
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:37 PM
yeah but they take stuff SO out of context! i watched the interview and she wasnt really sure, she just said the chinese cos its true - she made no big deal bout it thou

crazillo
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Davenport is a wise woman, I'd believe what she says.

Agreed. :)

NA-GOAT
Dec 19th, 2013, 04:20 AM
I was searching for Chinese Davenport and found this GOAT prediction by American Davenport :spit:

Utautai
Dec 19th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Baby Flower Chinese Davenport :oh:

V.Melb
Dec 19th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I was watching that match live! Davenport def. Michaela Pastikova 2-6 6-2 6-2.

Michaela was sucking up all Davenport's pace and she hit so flat, Lindsay was caught off guard. Lindsay didn't even seem surprised by her oppponent, she seemed to know the script was written, and she was going to win. So of course, naturally, Lindsay had too much class and ball striking talent and took control of the match. But it was still nice to see Michaela thump some flat winners for a while!

I miss Lindsay. :-(

Idemo
Dec 19th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Wow. Nice prediction from Lindsay. She should start up one of those 24-hour psychic chat lines or something. ;) :lol:

Serve2Win
Dec 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM
The prediction is 8-years old.
How many Chinese players in the top-20 today?

Idemo
Dec 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
All the more impressive that she knew so long ago. ;)

Viktymise
Dec 19th, 2013, 03:23 PM
The prediction is 8-years old.
How many Chinese players in the top-20 today?

This.

"The Chinese are coming" myth was always just that - a myth. There was never a time where it genuinely appeared that we would have a Chinese dominated top 10, like Russia had back when all those predictions and speculations were rife. All so baseless.

And it won't be happening any time soon either, since all of their juniors are garbage.

Serve2Win
Dec 19th, 2013, 03:41 PM
right. How many Chinese girls are in the top-30?
I think Lindsay played Miss Cleo.

Top-100 Chinese players:
#3 Na Li
#42 Peng Shuai
#52 Zhang Shuai
#53 Zheng Jie

Lindsay was way off. There is no Chinese WTA invasion any time soon.

DanLovesWTA
Dec 19th, 2013, 03:53 PM
She had to say : Beware of east-european girls :p

Serve2Win
Dec 19th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Correction:...
Tennis today is an East-Europeans girls game. They are everywhere. Even the popularity of Chris Evert didn't get the US girls to the tennis court.
It's only now that Serena and Sharapova are inspiring the US little girls to play tennis.

(Sharapova came here at the age of 7. Most people in that case change citizenship. She doesn't know much about Russia).

#1SteffiGraf#1
Dec 19th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Wait, Chinese Davenport said this, or American Davednport?

Mynarco
Dec 19th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Just a compliment, I reckon.

Djezonfly
Dec 19th, 2013, 08:12 PM

American Duan did.

Idemo
Dec 19th, 2013, 10:24 PM
:sobbing:

SilverPersian
Dec 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM

There's an American Davenport? :confused:

NA-GOAT
Dec 19th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Wow. Nice prediction from Lindsay. She should start up one of those 24-hour psychic chat lines or something. ;) :lol:

even a dead clock is wrong 2x per day :p

RVD
Dec 20th, 2013, 12:46 AM
even a dead clock is wrong 2x per day :pDon't you mean, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day?" :lol:

homogenius
Dec 20th, 2013, 08:50 AM
what Viktymise said
despite all the money invested, the multiplication of events held on their soil etc...the "chinese revolution" (like we had one with Russian players)never happened and there is no sign of it coming in near future.they still have a long way to go

PMBH
Dec 20th, 2013, 01:11 PM
what Viktymise said
despite all the money invested, the multiplication of events held on their soil etc...the "chinese revolution" (like we had one with Russian players)never happened and there is no sign of it coming in near future.they still have a long way to go

I seriously doubt that China will ever be a power factor in tennis. The game is much too physical compared to the sports where Chinese athletes excel e.g. badminton and table tennis. But I hope they will occasionally foster top players like Li Na in order for tennis to continue to grow in global popularity.

RVD
Dec 20th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I seriously doubt that China will ever be a power factor in tennis. The game is much too physical compared to the sports where Chinese athletes excel e.g. badminton and table tennis. But I hope they will occasionally foster top players like Li Na in order for tennis to continue to grow in global popularity.Sometimes greatness appears in the most unlikeliest of places.
China alone is the largest country in the world and boasts approximately 19.1% of the World's population (1,361,730,000).
Where else on Earth (because of the population and thus, mathematical probability) would the next G.O.A.T. be likely to emerge, if not china?
*India would be a close 2nd, IF it were to concentrates its efforts and resources...probability-wise*
If China were to allot even 10% more of it resources in training a mere fraction of it's population to compete in Tennis, chances are we'd see far more top players occupying the highest ranks, IMHO.