PDA

View Full Version : Davenport boring but winning

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Davenport boring but winning

January 20, 2005

LINDSAY DAVENPORT admits she's a boring tennis player and knows she didn't bring her best game with her to Melbourne Park today.

But the top seed shrugged off the former and made adjustments to cope with the latter to score a comfortable second round victory at the Australian Open.

Davenport beat Michaela Pastikova of the Czech Republic 2-6 6-2 6-2 to remain a major obstacle to a Russian assault on the women's singles championship.

Having described herself as a "boring story" and a "modest, quiet, ordinary girl" when she first reached the No.1 spot in 1998, Davenport agreed today that nothing much had changed.

"I think those adjectives .... describe me accurately," Davenport said.

The American overcame a shaky start to today's match to progress without great difficulty to a third-round clash with Mariana Diaz-Oliva of Argentina.

Following the disappearance of most of the other seeds from her quarter of the draw, Davenport is heading towards a semi-final against Anastasia Myskina or Elena Dementieva, two of nine Russians into the third round.

"It's pretty remarkable how many players they have in the top 15," Davenport said of the Russians.

Davenport said her confidence levels were rising after overcoming a bout of bronchitis and the nervousness of the opening two rounds.

"I knew I wasn't playing my best today," Davenport said.

"I just wasn't ready to be at my best at the very beginning.pe"But I knew that no matter what, I just had to try and do my best and get a win and do what I needed to do."

Third seed Myskina and sixth seed Dementieva were joined in the third round by another Russian, Tatiana Panova.

In the other half of the draw, the Russian fourth and fifth seeds Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova are lurking along with another four of their compatriots.

Myskina provided an insight today into what is driving the Russian women after she beat Tzipora Obziler of Israel 6-4 6-2.

"The main goal of course is to be number one," Myskina said.

"That's why I'm here. I know it's really hard, it's really tough ... but I think it's possible.

"We push each other ... behind my back are so many good girls.

"They push me to play every match 100 per cent, even more."

Along with Davenport and French second seed Amelie Mauresmo, the usually formidable Williams sisters are there to hold out the Russians.

Whether they still have the same sort of forces driving them though is uncertain.

Eighth seed Venus Williams did little today to suggest she was near the form that won her four grand slam titles in 2000 and 2001 and got her into the 2003 Open final against her sister Serena.

But Venus still rolled Peng Shuai of China 6-3 6-1.

Serena, who is seeded seventh, looks in better shape and gets what should be an easy ride into the fourth round when she plays wildcard entrant Sania Mirza of India.

AAP

lindsayno1
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:41 AM
i think she thinks shes boring because shes not as extravagant as the likes of the media addicts ie, williams and sharapova. She just does what she does and doesnt like to be in all the papers etc. - a very girl next door type of person. Shes not a boring player. She responds to varying situations with ease generally and has some amazing shots. PLUS she didnt need to be a media whore to have her $18 and a half million in earnings!

Jamesss
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I don't think she is boring to watch. :confused:

Her strokeplay is one of the most silky smooth out on the tour. I suppose she's boring in the sense that she doesn't hit every stroke at 100% power. But that is the type of game she needs to have. Around 80% is sufficient enough to win her most points.

Watching her it's amazing to see how much power she is able to extract with so little effort. I love it! :drool:

She mustn't have started off in the right mindset. But hell, she sure turned it on after the 1st set. :worship:

silverwhite
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I agree. I enjoy watching her slap those beautiful groundstrokes. :D

Marcus1979
Jan 20th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Venus has great shots and doesn't make as many errors as other players that play a similar style.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimbo mack
Jan 20th, 2005, 01:37 PM
i've never found lindsay boring- i have so much respect for her

i'd rather watch lindsay than that sharapova b**** anyday :)