PDA

View Full Version : Game, Schett, Match ( nice article ) :)

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:39 AM
When Austrian Barbara Schett decided she had lost the passion for tennis at the top level, she thought about the appropriate time and place to draw the curtain on her career.

January 2005 was the time, Melbourne was the place, and with a second-round loss to No.26 seed Daniela Hantuchova it was 'suddenly' all over, after 12 years on the professional tennis tour.

"I played Australia because it was my favourite tournament," she said. "I always loved it here. That's why I wanted to quit here."

The 28-year-old from Innsbruck, playing her 43rd Grand Slam tournament - the last 38 consecutively - said she knew her time had come, and she was comfortable with the decision to move on to the next phase of her life.

"The decision was made already in the middle of last year," she said. "I thought if I'm not improving, if the passion is not coming back, then I definitely want to quit."

"Even if I had played really well here I would have stayed with that decision."

A 6-4 6-2 second-round loss was a disappointing end to a 12-year career that included three singles titles and 10 doubles titles, but the former world No.7 failed to clinch a Grand Slam trophy. Her best performance was a quarter-final at the 1999 US Open and numerous fourth-round appearances, four of them at Melbourne Park.

"I always thought I should be ranked much higher than I was," she said. "(But) I think I'm very happy about my career."

It wasn't until the end of the match that the reality of her decision to retire finally struck, and she realised it would be the last time she would play as a professional.

"(It wasn't) very emotional until she had match point and then suddenly I had tears in my eyes," said Schett.

"I knew sooner or later I was going to realise that this was my last point of my career which I have been doing all my life."

BoomKat
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:43 AM
So sad.... :sad:

Bye Babsi! You'll be missed, and have a great life. :) :kiss:

geegables
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I'm not even a big fan of Barbara Schett but i mean it really is sad she's retiring. Fair enough she would have to one day but i think it was sweet she chose Australia to retire. I'll miss her, wished she could've gone further here:)

jimbo mack
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:59 AM
bye bye schett - have a great post tennis life :wavey: :wavey:

Grohl
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:02 AM
goodbye babsi! you'll be missed!
have a nice life after tennis!

switz
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:13 AM
love you babsi. it's funny because i actually wasn't a big fan in her prime. but in the last few years she has become one of my favourite players - almost on a par with pat and chandi

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:34 AM
:worship:

Jamesss
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:43 AM
*balling eyes out*

It's times like this one listens to Bette Midler. :sad:

It would be cool if Babs could stay close to the tour in a coaching role or something like it (after a well deserved break or course).

:wavey:

hingis-seles
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Hope Babsi enjoys success in her post-tennis life, just like she did in tennis.

mr_burns
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:16 AM
sad but I can understand her...she doesn't desrve to be ranked around 100

Best wishes for your future

Dymension
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Babsi :(

xin_hui
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:06 AM
bye babsi:sad: :sad:

good luck in the future in whatever u do:angel: :)

Come-on-kim
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Babsi :sad:

Just by reading the article I had tears as well ...

jonny84
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Bye Babsi

We will miss you

x

tobe
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Bye Babsi...sad though we didn't see any pictures of her matches during these Open...hopefully Eurosport will show something like a tribute, she deserves it!
Btw, Babsi was leading 4:2 in the first...nice try, but bad ending

Harju.
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:21 AM
:sobbing: :sad: Babsi.

crazillo
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Bye Babsi.... :)

:sad:

Roxers
Jan 20th, 2005, 01:48 PM
bye bye Babsi :sad::sad::sad: i will miss you a lot, you were always one of my favorite players.

enjoy your life without tennis and i wish you all the best!!!

Martian Melissa
Jan 20th, 2005, 01:56 PM
bye bye babsi!!you will be missed!!

New
Jan 20th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Can't all of them play forever??? :sad: Last year, I was already upset over Amanda retiring and now Babsi is leaving.. :sad:

Privately, I think Amanda should have followed Babsi to end at Australian Open, after all her best record was here too... :sad:

I saw Babsi on Tv and as she hugged Dani after the match, there were tears in her eyes :sad: This is so sad... we'll miss you Babsi...:sad:

fleemke³
Jan 20th, 2005, 02:17 PM
I'm gonna miss her :sad:

lolas
Jan 20th, 2005, 02:19 PM
"(It wasn't) very emotional until she had match point and then suddenly I had tears in my eyes," said Schett.
Now I have tears in my eyes... :sad:

schris
Jan 20th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I wish her good luck in the future :wavey: She was a good friend of Anke Huber, I miss her too :sad:

Shooter
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:45 PM
From Indian Wells '04 ...

http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/IW04/Schett_01.jpg

Shonami Slam
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:02 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:
that last point...
i think it must be one of the saddest moments in your life, to realize that the thing you do most, and love most - is no longer something you want to do.
and to execute it like she did -
wow.
so sad.
i know she'll do wonderful things in her life. she's so smiley and fun, but it just makes you depressed when heroes goes down.

Xian
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:16 PM
http://sport.orf.at/050120-15269/tennis_schett_winkt_big_ap.jpg

beauty_is_pink
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I'm gonna miss Babsi :sad:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:29 PM
http://sport.orf.at/050120-15269/tennis_schett_winkt_big_ap.jpg
This is my fave pic of babsi....atleast she ended he career in the top 100 and top 20 in doubles :worship: :kiss: :wavey:

Vass22
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:37 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Jenny.C.Fan
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Bye babsi, your partying with jen shall be missed.

gmak
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:13 PM
good bye babsi :sad: :sad:

you will be missed...

kabuki
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Good Luck Babsi! :D

Joseosu19
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Best of Luck Babsi:)

Deira
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Barbara was always a class act even when they tried to turn her into the new Anna! Bye Babsi.

Whatzup
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Goodbye Babsi! You'll be missed! You were really a great tennisstar! :sad: Good luck with all the things you're gonna do in the rest of your life! :D

anabel
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Chao Barbara!

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:20 PM
I think Babsi would be an awesome Commentator !! She is well liked by the players on tour ( which would make for easier access to player interviews), she is a beautiful woman and has a wealth of tennis knowledge! :)
What do you guys think ??

Shooter
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:40 AM
I think Babsi would be an awesome Commentator !! She is well liked by the players on tour ( which would make for easier access to player interviews), she is a beautiful woman and has a wealth of tennis knowledge! :)
What do you guys think ??

I'd like to see her try. But it's hard to predict how good she'd be. Being well-liked and having a lot of experience aren't enough. For example, it helps to have a good voice. How's her English? It seems like players who are more analytical make for better commentators (like McEnroe). Others, who played more on instinct, though they were very successful as players, didn't make good commentators (like Evert).

Prizeidiot
Jan 21st, 2005, 05:20 AM
I'd like to see her try. But it's hard to predict how good she'd be. Being well-liked and having a lot of experience aren't enough. For example, it helps to have a good voice. How's her English? It seems like players who are more analytical make for better commentators (like McEnroe). Others, who played more on instinct, though they were very successful as players, didn't make good commentators (like Evert).
Her English is pretty good... I think she'll be a good commentator... she seems like a smart girl, and is very popular

Jeleno Benesovo
Jan 21st, 2005, 05:27 AM
Farewell Babsi :kiss: one of the most gorgeous and kind players of the Tour :hug: :wavey:

Becool
Jan 21st, 2005, 05:33 AM
Can you believe it?
I thought I would never cry with a player retiring before..

:sad: :sad: I am.. I'll miss Babsi sooo much..

http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/Schett-Glam-Slam_5949_rx.jpg
"Barbara displayed excellence on and off the court, and willingly devoted countless hours to community service outreach in cities around the world while on the Tour," WTA Tour CEO Larry Scott said. "She was and will continue to be a great ambassador for our sport."

"I have thoroughly enjoyed playing professional tennis and I feel very fortunate to have been involved in such a wonderful sport that has allowed me to travel the world and build friendships with so many wonderful people," Schett said. "I will always treasure the experiences and memories from my career and I look forward to creating many more great memories as I move toward the next phase of my life."

Don't go Babsi :sad: :sad:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:48 PM
Good luck in your mixed doubles match today Babsi !! I had totally forgotton that she was still in this draaw :eek: :hearts: :kiss: