PDA

View Full Version : Chip and charge

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:11 AM
I noticed Venus used this ONCE against Shaui Peng. She got a nice deep chipm came to net, and hit a volley winner. Never tried it again. Why, (outside of Taylor Dent) is this tactic not used more?

If you use slice properly, the chip stays low, and the return HAS to be a playable ball, usualy rising where it's easy to volley.

tennisfan1972
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Venus doesnt have a consistently low slice from what i have witnessed. But i agree this would be a great tactic to employ in her matches since she has such a great wingspan and covers the net so well. But she showed some great net work today .Lost a few net battles but I think the more she ventures up there the better she will become at net. she hwas good net instincts just needs more experience putting her volleys away or doing more damage off the volley.

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Venus doesn't have a consistently low slice from what i have witnessed.Yeah it pops up sometimes, but using a slcie return only once a match!?!?! C'mon already! It ain't immoral! When you're breaking yor opponent's serve virtually at will, isn't that the time to use a tactic or two you might need later?

tennisfan1972
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Oh i definitely agree with you. I think Venus will have to develop some more weapons such as the chip and charge. The good thing about Venus is that when she is healthy she always adds something new to her game. Alot of girls are hitting the ball hard and moving well so she will definitely want to set herself apart from them with more weaponry. Venus' speed and reach is so far superior to so many players on tour at this point that she is able to get by. But she will definitely want to add some more tools if she plans on winning big for many years to come. I think the chip n charge is a natural next step for her. Look at how it changed Amelie's game almost overnight.

Prizeidiot
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Better example of why chip and charge is good.... look at what Suzuki did to Federer last night. In the women's game, it would be even more of a weapon, firstly, because no has the skills Roger does, and secondly, the women's game is so heavily dominated by baseline power, that a lot of them wouldn't know what to do if their opponent sliced a ball down the middle and moved in.

faboozadoo15
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:50 AM
chipping sounds easy and all, but if you're not used to doing it, it could get a bit ugly and embarassing. she could certainly work on it. it's a less flashy but very substantive play that works at all levels. with her wingspan :eek: she should be getting to net MORe period.

mishit one chip though in a match, and you usually notice the player doesn't go back to trying it. something like that sticks with them more than pummeling a backhand return into te net. don't ask me why. it's all about comfort, and thats the best explanation i can give.