PDA

View Full Version : (8) V. Williams Def. Peng 6-3, 6-1

lizchris
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Great win for Venus, though I am still worried about the forehand. But she seved very well today, I think better than Tuesday. Plus, I'd like to see her come to net more.

UDiTY
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Nice win from Vee!!!:yeah:

Served rather well, some sketchy points tho.

Everyone better watch out for Peng in the future:p

Knizzle
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Good serving from Venus. Up and down match, but I am pleased with what I saw, it was an improvement over her last match.

faboozadoo15
she played beautifully overall. peng gave her a good match, and really it should have been more competitive. venus just did everything right-- always kept the pressure up. peng played well in a lot of "middles" middle of the game is where she's playing her best. she got off to aweful starts in some games and found herself crawling back, and venus always seemed to be there to shut the door with a great shot. i think her serve really won her the match today, if you have to point to just one shot.

gl v, against shashnova!
and hopefully peng can get it together a little more. i like her and really hope to see her have a full package game one day.

vettipooh
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

SerenaSlam
Great win for Venus, though I am still worried about the forehand. But she seved very well today, I think better than Tuesday. Plus, I'd like to see her come to net more.
yeah i think she won every point at the net, but match point (the easiest net point the whole match)

her serve was well toady. but her high precentage is more so due to the fact that her pace she has dropped considerably. that is why peng was hitting "occasional" winners on her first serves.

Huntress555
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Yeah Peng has a future, she has a lot to work on though. Her serve is no where need good enough to match the worlds top women players.

But nice win for Venus, she served well today!

One step closer to a Molik vs Williams fourth round! :)

Rocketta
yeah I'm happy Venus won big not playing well because when she wins big and plays well it seems she always plays bad the next match.

Go Venus! You Can Do It! :yeah:

SzavayFi
Good job Vee :yeah:

satori
she really put a "peng"tuation on that match..... :rolleyes:

Mrs. Peel
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Yes, Peng did make Vee work but she kept her composure and looked good out there. I am glad that her serve held up...now she needs to keep those errors under control....

lizchris
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:49 AM
She plays Smashnova next. This was a match I was expecting and wasn't worried about. I don't think Venus has ever lost to Anna and I don't think she will lose on Saturday.

lizchris
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:51 AM
yeah i think she won every point at the net, but match point (the easiest net point the whole match)

I think she lost one point at the net and that was in the last game.

Andy.
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Well done Venus that was a tough match and she played it tough. This will really help her cause for latter in the tournament. Go Venus

WF4EVER
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Venus seemed so timid most of the time and that forehand....oh my God. If Venus was playing one of the top 20 she wouldn't have gotten away with that kind of play.

She didn't play aggressively nor did she seem to be moving well (Taped knee?). Her serve was good, and her second serve at times was better than usual. First double in the 13th game? Nice.

She's not moving the way she did against Kuzzie in Hong Kong. And frankly there were too many forehand errors, especially when she had the open court several times and kept jamming the ball into the net.

Personally I think the match against Daniilidou was better because she just seemed to be doing more and making more of an effort. Not to mention that Eleni is a higher ranked and more experienced player than Peng; therefore Venus should reall have had the tougher match against her.

I wish MJF had asked her about the knee though. If it was orecautionary why wasn't she wearing it in the first match as well. Is she waiting to feel something before she takes a precaution. I was really hopeful for Venus to do well here and I hope she still can even though I'm not feeling it right now.

"Topaz"
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:11 AM
That was a big win for Venus, facing a player with a superb and almost effortless return. Peng was no push-over. The 6-1 2nd set was more competitive than the scoreline suggests.

seawell
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Yeah Peng has a future, she has a lot to work on though. Her serve is no where need good enough to match the worlds top women players.

But nice win for Venus, she served well today!

:)
agree with u! :)

ashwu
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:39 AM
better luck next time peng shuai~

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Keep it going all the way, Venus!!

Knizzle
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Venus seemed so timid most of the time and that forehand....oh my God. If Venus was playing one of the top 20 she wouldn't have gotten away with that kind of play.

She didn't play aggressively nor did she seem to be moving well (Taped knee?). Her serve was good, and her second serve at times was better than usual. First double in the 13th game? Nice.

She's not moving the way she did against Kuzzie in Hong Kong. And frankly there were too many forehand errors, especially when she had the open court several times and kept jamming the ball into the net.

Personally I think the match against Daniilidou was better because she just seemed to be doing more and making more of an effort. Not to mention that Eleni is a higher ranked and more experienced player than Peng; therefore Venus should reall have had the tougher match against her.

I wish MJF had asked her about the knee though. If it was orecautionary why wasn't she wearing it in the first match as well. Is she waiting to feel something before she takes a precaution. I was really hopeful for Venus to do well here and I hope she still can even though I'm not feeling it right now.
Venus played aggressive to me and she moved pretty well in the second set I though. She really ate up Peng's serve and you can't do that without being aggressive.

Kabezya
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:11 AM
"Wasn't she a beautiful player? I had no idea who she was."
--Venus Williams after beating Chinese hope Peng Shuai.

Prizeidiot
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:25 AM
The score was more convincing that I had predicted. It's good that Venus has realised the importance of a net game and adding dimensions to her game.

Chunchun
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:13 AM
:D Venus

Shaui :crying2:

moby
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:42 AM
This is so weird. I thought Venus played fantastic today, and not-so-good on Tuesday, but everyone seems to think otherwise. The match was much closer than 6-3 6-1 IMO, but Venus played the big points incredibly well against a very gutsy Peng Shuai.

I agree with whoever said that Peng plays well in the middle of games. She'd go down 0-40 before losing it to 30 or in a many deuce game.

oddkayla
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I can imagine what people would be saying had Venus lost a set, like some of the other top players are doing.

She loses 4 games and people saying she was playing badly. I did not watch the match, so I cannot say, but judging from the last match, she is moving in the right direction. And Venus was never one to play errorless tennis anyway. That forehand will click. It will find a target. At least she did not seem to be shanking it like she was last year.

Its always been her weaker shot, but the more people try to pound it, the more it comes good for her. Ask Amelie what happened at the US Open semi in 2002. Save for hitting to that forehand too many time, much like going to the well too often, she would have been in the final.

WF4EVER
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I can imagine what people would be saying had Venus lost a set, like some of the other top players are doing.

She loses 4 games and people saying she was playing badly. I did not watch the match, so I cannot say, but judging from the last match, she is moving in the right direction. And Venus was never one to play errorless tennis anyway. That forehand will click. It will find a target. At least she did not seem to be shanking it like she was last year.

Its always been her weaker shot, but the more people try to pound it, the more it comes good for her. Ask Amelie what happened at the US Open semi in 2002. Save for hitting to that forehand too many time, much like going to the well too often, she would have been in the final.It's very telling that you didn't watch the match but you can say this. There is no way to judge the way Venus played Peng from the number of games she gave up or the first round match she played. I have seen matches won 6-1 6-1 that were very unimpressive and were ther esult of bad play by both players. In fact I remember seeing Venus beat Kim 6-3 6-1 in the USO in 2001 and it was a very, very sloppy match full of errors. Venus could have won 4 and 4 and played brilliantly so don't think the scoreline determines how she played. It could very well be spekaing more about how her opponent played. For instance Serena vs Pin was quite an entertaining match, IMO, even though it looks like a blowout. It was a matter of Pin not stringing those points together but I think she played quite competitively.

As for Venus' forehand at the USO 2002. I thought it had already been established here that the Venus playing tennis now is not the same one who played prior to her injury in 2003. Thats like looking at head-to-heads before and after the injury. They are not a fair comparison because Venus is not the same player she used to be.

Jamesss
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:49 AM
"Wasn't she a beautiful player? I had no idea who she was."
--Venus Williams after beating Chinese hope Peng Shuai.

Aww, :hug: that was nice of her. She sure did look shocked when Peng Shuai broke her. She would have been a hairs breath away from taking a double take.

Peng Shuai, :worship: . Really hope to see more of you! Especially in the Slams! We need another Monica :sad: !

virtue05
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I stayed up and watched the entire match and if I have to say so myself, Venus played very well last night. I don't know why some people are so critical of her, I think she has played better than most of the top eight seeds besides Serena. And it is true about her forhand the more Pheng attacked it during the match, it started getting better. I think Venus has learned that she doesen't have to hit the ball as hard every single point, she needs to take some pace off sometimes and get the ball back deep. But I only see her getting better as the tournament goes on if she beats Smashnova and goes on to play Molik and beats her I think Vee will make it to the finals.

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:13 PM
It was a great win for Vee and I hope it boosts her confidence. As much as she did do wrong, a a little too passive in rallies, forehands in the nets, dropping the head on the 2nd, she did somethings very well i was happy to see. First she kept fighting for games, that 0-1 break in the 1st was crucial. Second, I was happy to see her hit some aces, especially at times in the match where she needed em like on game points or breakpoints. Lizchris you are absolutely right as I heard MJF say too, Venus MUST come to net more if she wants to go farther, but it was still a good performance and hopefully she can just keep improving.

I love you V. :hearts:

Experimentee
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Venus played very well today. It was much better than against Eleni. The match was actually closer than 6-3 6-1, most of the games went to deuce but Venus managed to win the important points, unlike against Eleni. Peng played very well but couldnt win the game points when it mattered. Venus didnt go off the boil in this match either which was great.

icequeen
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:35 PM

You are supposed to be a fan of Venus you are the most negative poster on Vee that I have ever come across. You almost seem very, very, phony. There's something about you that is not right at all when it comes to venus.

icequeen
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Its always been her weaker shot, but the more people try to pound it, the more it comes good for her. Ask Amelie what happened at the US Open semi in 2002. Save for hitting to that forehand too many time, much like going to the well too often, she would have been in the final.

So true.

davidmario
Jan 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Venus played better than against Eleni. She played a good 2nd-round-match though we have to say that her forehand was crap.

Harju.
Jan 20th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Watched the match a little here and there during the class. Well, I dont know about the whole match but the games that I watched were full of long rallies. And I thought on those games, Vee was superb.

TM
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:43 PM
THAT--was ugly looking tennis! With an exception to all the many mixed up unforced errors from both sides, I notice for the first time that Venus is actually the loudest player or even louder than before and Peng is an excellent counter puncher and attacker--did you see what she did to Venus's services? WOW!

TM
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I'm starting to think that Venus plays extremely well to amped up crowds.

pigam
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:48 PM
surprise surprise, I didn't see the match :rolleyes:
Glad she won it so easily :)
go venus

serenafan08
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Venus isn't the player she was in 2000-2001, but in this match, she played a lot better than she has been lately. I think this is a good stepping stone for her. Keep it up Vee!

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:51 PM
midway during the 1st set, her forehand was very good. It was only at 5-1 in the 1st set when it started to faulter. But the fact is Venus won, and played very good. (The British Eurosport commentators were full of praise for Venus, which was a nice surprise as usually commentators are negative about her game!)

volta
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:20 PM
yeah but iīm worried with her serve she is serving to dam much to the center and not going for the lines oh and using slice 2 much in the serve.

she is begining to use the forehand as a weapon like she used 2 and thatīs so so great.

CONGRATZ VEE WIN AUSSIE OPEN

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Good serving from Venus. Up and down match, but I am pleased with what I saw, it was an improvement over her last match.
Really Knizzle? I thought she served much better, but she didn't come to net as often as she did in the first match. She didn't seem to be attacking and she didn't seem to be as aggressive as she was in the first match. Also, I felt her forehand was much better in the first match.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:44 PM

I totally agree with this post, except for the last paragraph. I'm just not as pessimistic about Vee's chances. :)

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:52 PM
surprise surprise, I didn't see the match :rolleyes:
Glad she won it so easily :)
go venus
pigam, I'm going to have to start taping them for you. LOL ;)

icequeen
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Really Knizzle? I thought she served much better, but she didn't come to net as often as she did in the first match. She didn't seem to be attacking and she didn't seem to be as aggressive as she was in the first match. Also, I felt her forehand was much better in the first match.

Maybe she did not need to do all of those things that's why she did not do them.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Maybe she did not need to do all of those things that's why she did not do them.
Yep, she needed to do them. But, I think she either forgets or gets fearful that she's going to be passed.

WF4EVER
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Yep, she needed to do them. But, I think she either forgets or gets fearful that she's going to be passed.I never meant to appear pessimistic about Venus' knee taping; only realistic. I was relieved when she came into the AO without the tape but in her second match she's wearing tape so that concerns me.

Also I find Venus' game is seriously lacking in variety nowadays. Mary Carillo was commenting about certain things she could try and I totally agreed because there was a time when Venus would come up with all kinds of shots. She sticks to the basics nowadays. But I could agree that maybe she didn't want to do more than she needed to.

AS for you, Icequeen, if you don't like what I have to say that's your business. I wasn't aware this was a best fan contest. I'm an honest person, even if brutally sometimes, so if you don't like what I have to say, ignore it. You actually bring to mind a poster by the name of special1 for the ezboard. If that's who you are I'm not surprised by your ocmment at all. Don't tell me what you think, what to say or how to express myself, because I'm not telling you what to feel or to say or how to express it. Thank you

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Venus played well to me :confused: I saw the last four games of the match and it looked like the old Venus. The forehand was not quite as good, but everything else was completely there.

Mary Carillo summed it up best about Shuai. She's a top 20 player RIGHT NOW if she could just fix the serve. Some of those return of serve winners she hit were just :eek:

icequeen
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Yep, she needed to do them. But, I think she either forgets or gets fearful that she's going to be passed.

Apparently she didn't need to them by the score I saw.

icequeen
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I never meant to appear pessimistic about Venus' knee taping; only realistic. I was relieved when she came into the AO without the tape but in her second match she's wearing tape so that concerns me.

Also I find Venus' game is seriously lacking in variety nowadays. Mary Carillo was commenting about certain things she could try and I totally agreed because there was a time when Venus would come up with all kinds of shots. She sticks to the basics nowadays. But I could agree that maybe she didn't want to do more than she needed to.

AS for you, Icequeen, if you don't like what I have to say that's your business. I wasn't aware this was a best fan contest. I'm an honest person, even if brutally sometimes, so if you don't like what I have to say, ignore it. You actually bring to mind a poster by the name of special1 for the ezboard. If that's who you are I'm not surprised by your ocmment at all. Don't tell me what you think, what to say or how to express myself, because I'm not telling you what to feel or to say or how to express it. Thank you

You call yourself a venus fan but you are very negative about her. What the fuck do you want she won the match 3-1 what the fuck more do you need. Give the girl a fucking break and yes you are very pessimistic. I have no idea what you are referring too on some ezboard so check yourself.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Apparently she didn't need to them by the score I saw.
Well, I don't just go by the score, I tend to look at her level of play. I felt that the score was not indicative of what actually took place on the court. Peng gave Venus some trouble with her groundstrokes and I felt if she could have come more into the net, she could have cut off some of those blistering winners that Peng got. But, that's just my opinion. Venus did what she had to do to win and her serve certainly pulled her out of some hairy deuce and ad situations, but if her serve had been off just a little, Venus may have very well lost that match.

darrinbaker00
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:12 PM
You call yourself a venus fan but you are very negative about her. What the fuck do you want she won the match 3-1 what the fuck more do you need. Give the girl a fucking break and yes you are very pessimistic. I have no idea what you are referring too on some ezboard so check yourself.
Where is it written that fans can't be critical of their favorite players?

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Where is it written that fans can't be critical of their favorite players?
In the WtaWorld Handbook. What? You don't have a copy? :eek:

darrinbaker00
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:05 PM
In the WtaWorld Handbook. What? You don't have a copy? :eek:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They must have mailed it to me instead of shipping it UPS.....

TM
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Venus looked like a kickboxing-volleyball player this time--still is the more stylish tennis player in OZ05...everyone else...meh...too many puke yellow--i love the fact that Venus's silhouette (The WTA logo) is on player's outfits 'n tings.
I think she should just tape BOTH her knees just like she did when she won the Ericsson Open in '01.

kabuki
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:12 PM

That's a little much, dontyathink?

cometz9
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Good Match from Venus :hearts: Good Luck next round :yeah:
Also good luck to Shuai Peng, hope to see more of her :D

thelittlestelf
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:24 PM
She did what she had to and played from the back a bit more. All in all, I think she played better in this match than she did in the other. Her serve was particularly good, and I do think Venus still has the best backhand on tour! Her forehand was, eh, but did produce some good shots, especially on the run (as usual). She also had more winers than errors.

This match certainly wasn't spectacular, but Venus has never been noted to play her sharpest in the early rounds.

--Peng has a great return when she times it correctly! She could be a real intimidator someday.

cheesestix
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:28 PM
YAY! :bounce:

GO VENUS!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!

THREE CHEERS FOR VENUS!!!! HIP HIP HOORAY! HIP HIP HOORAY! HIP HIP HOORAY!

You go girl! Now that's what I'm talkin bout! Handle ya b'ness big sis! Keep on keepin it real in 0-5!

WHOOP! THERE IT IS!!!!!!!

Infiniti2001
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Keep trying cheesestix , you will get it right eventually :rolleyes:

kabuki
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:54 PM
YAY! :bounce:

GO VENUS!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!

THREE CHEERS FOR VENUS!!!! HIP HIP HOORAY! HIP HIP HOORAY! HIP HIP HOORAY!

You go girl! Now that's what I'm talkin bout! Handle ya b'ness big sis! Keep on keepin it real in 0-5!

WHOOP! THERE IT IS!!!!!!!

:retard:

andrewC
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:29 AM
:retard:

haha i can just imagine your expression whilst reading cheesetix's message :lol: :lol:

Denise4925
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:39 AM
haha i can just imagine your expression whilst reading cheesetix's message :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

kabuki
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:40 AM

Cheeseystix is a'ight. :lol:

Denise4925
Jan 21st, 2005, 12:42 AM
Cheeseystix is a'ight. :lol:
Yeah, if retardation can be considered "a'ight". :lol:

Qrystyna
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:01 AM
I think Venus play the match very well. She was always attacking Peng's serve. She also look very fired up during some points, which I have not seen from Venus in awhile. Shuai did put up a good effort though and should have won some more games. It was closer than the score shows! :)