PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever noticed Venus Williams is almost ...

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:03 AM
causal about giving up service breaks. She doesn't change what's she trying to do at all. Jeez, end the set.

It's like she figures she's trying to do a certai set of things perfectly, and that, damn it to hell, is what she's going to do. Luv the gal, but it IS frustrating.

BK4ever
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:07 AM
She is ridiculous and if she keeps her head in the clouds about the state of her game, she will never win another slam :sad:

jbone_0307
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Where is the MPH on her serve?? She needs to start cracking 125 mph ones again. It made it entertaining and fun.

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:13 AM
She plays like she thinks she'll just break the other player's serve. Of course, historically, that's usually the case. But sometimes, I just wish she'd get it over with and get off the court. That set should have been 6-1. But she kept blasting forehands, and too many found the net.

Of course, maybe she just trying to play the way she think she needs to play to beat Lindsay and Serena, which WILL require hitting forehand winners.

jbone_0307
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Venus has a ghetto booty. Anyways, she bascially has no variety on her serve. I could understand if she was still cracking the regularly in the 120 mph+ and think that they should start playing doubles to improve their serve.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Venus' serve has been improving though lately. However, her forehand is horrid.

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Where is the MPH on her serve?? She needs to start cracking 125 mph ones again. It made it entertaining and fun.I'd rather she backed it off into the 110-115 range, and got up to a 70% first serve percentage.
However, her forehand is horrid.Disagree. Venus' forehand is fine. When she isn't trying to hit flat, thousand mph winners with it. She needs to use it to stay inthe rally more, and force people to hit to her backhand, where she can set up winners. She has the shots for it. She just doesn't choose to play that way.

faboozadoo15
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:54 AM
she plays WOMEN'S tennis and has a great return. she shouldn't panic when she gets broken. but maybe you're right and that she's too casual. meh, i dunno.

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:55 AM
I don't know the one thing that seems constant about Venus is that you never know if she's going to close out a set on her first opportunity. For years, I've never been surprised when Venus got broken while serving for the set. It's common. I don't think it has anything to do with a 'eh' attitude but more getting nervous.

harloo
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:56 AM
The key is to never panic when losing serve. And I think Venus was awesome tonight. She stepped up and hit some big serves at the right times. It looks like her old form is coming back, and Peng played great. ;)

Rollo
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I think she's been pretty impressive with the serve in both matches-she looks more like the "old" Venus in that regard.

Knizzle
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Venus used to blast 4 big serves 90% of the time to close out a set, but now she struggles more with it.

"Topaz"
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Venus has a ghetto booty. Anyways, ... :rolleyes:
You should be ashamed of your ignorance, ashamed of your spiteful mouth, ashamed of yourself.

faboozadoo15
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Venus used to blast 4 big serves 90% of the time to close out a set, but now she struggles more with it.
i'll be the first and certainly not the last to disagree with this. venus to you is some mythical being.... i just don't know what to say. i don't know how many times i've watched venus as a fan and she has been broken serving for sets even when she was at her absolute best. that's why she doesn't panic. she knows she can get it back on her return.

Infiniti2001
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:04 AM
:rolleyes:
You should be ashamed of your ignorance, ashamed of your spiteful mouth, ashamed of yourself.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

harloo
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Venus used to blast 4 big serves 90% of the time to close out a set, but now she struggles more with it.Well she hit like three straight aces a few times in this match. She is improving.:D

Infiniti2001
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:08 AM
These days I privately bitch about Vee and what she needs. I've decided I will just sit back and wait to see how the rest of her career plays out. In the meantime , I will support her booty shorts and all :rolls:

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Venus used to blast 4 big serves 90% of the time to close out a set, but now she struggles more with it.No, Venus used to ATTEMPT 4 big serves 90% of the time. There never was a time when they went in consistently. Venus used to regularly put up 40 and 50 UE matches. She doesn't do that anymore. But she doesn't hit 40 and 50 winners a match either.

WF4EVER
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:17 AM
i'll be the first and certainly not the last to disagree with this. venus to you is some mythical being.... i just don't know what to say. i don't know how many times i've watched venus as a fan and she has been broken serving for sets even when she was at her absolute best. that's why she doesn't panic. she knows she can get it back on her return.
I agree with Knizzle. Venus used to be so reliable when it came to serving out a set. I'm not saying that there weren't times that she lost her serve while trying to serve it out (others have, too), but it was never this worrying. Even when Venus had a lead of any kind you just wouldn't stand a chance of getting back in the game but nowadays not even a 40-0 serve seems a sure thing. Not to mention when she's up a break or two and can't close out a set.

I don't think Venus is back at all. She hasn't been back for a while and there's no telling when she'll ever get 'back'. Every time she has a good match we hear she's back but one match just does not a comeback make. This year I want to see some good tournament results from Vee and if they're not just on clay, like last year, I'd certainly be more positive about her being 'back'.

Knizzle
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:42 AM
That's why I said 90% of the time. Anyone who knows Venus knows how she used to serve out sets. Serving for the match she would get a little jumpy, but serving out sets she was always money most of the time. Even if she got down 0-40 in a game she would respond with 3 or 4 big first serves to get out of trouble. Let you tell it faboozadoo, Venus never did anything good.

Knizzle
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:44 AM
No, Venus used to ATTEMPT 4 big serves 90% of the time. There never was a time when they went in consistently. Venus used to regularly put up 40 and 50 UE matches. She doesn't do that anymore. But she doesn't hit 40 and 50 winners a match either.
We must not have been watching the same Venus Williams then.

Wenddy
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Get off Venus back. She's doing fine. Winning. That's what it's all about.

faboozadoo15
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:46 AM
That's why I said 90% of the time. Anyone who knows Venus knows how she used to serve out sets. Serving for the match she would get a little jumpy, but serving out sets she was always money most of the time. Even if she got down 0-40 in a game she would respond with 3 or 4 big first serves to get out of trouble. Let you tell it faboozadoo, Venus never did anything good.
i gave venus a lot of praise from this match and always in her career. shes a phenominal player...

but i guess i just remember things differently. i can remember venus holding emphatically more often after getting her first break, but always running into slight trouble when serving out sets. i can't really remember a time when i've seen her serve 4 bombs to close out a set. but maybe they're just slipping my mind. i'll admit that it's a possibility.

Grafiati
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I don't think anyone is trying to criticize Venus, her game, or anything like that... I agree with the original point that Venus throws away service games (generally speaking) too often. Even if you go back to 1998 or 1999, if you watch many of her matches, she lost serve a lot. If my memory serves me correctly, she beat Schett 6-1, 6-1 at Wimbledon in '98 but lost serve two times. So many of her other early round matches had impressive scores but usually most of the games lost coming on her serve. If she won most of the later round matches, I guess it wouldn't be an issue, but there may something to be said for not having full confidence in your service games in later rounuds due to dropping serve to lesser opponents.

Just a thought. :cool:

tennnisfannn
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:52 AM
. Anyways, she bascially has no variety on her serve..Surely you jest. She severed out wide, went into the body a few times and right down the middle. Don't know what some of you guys see when some players play, but it sure is ridiculoius to hear that. That statement is just as weird as the thread saying amelie's game is boring!:rolleyes:

virtue05
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Venus sure did have EIGHT ACES FOR SOMEONE WHO ISN'T SERVING WELL.

jbone_0307
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:11 PM
:rolleyes:

OOOOK. I dont see where that is offensive or being offensive. Ghetto booty, what is wrong with that?? Shes the one who wore the pants up to her thighs, so obviously she wanted somebody to see. :rolleyes: People talk about Serena's tank ass everyday. I was complimenting her.

Peng was returning her serve pretty effective and putting Venus on the defense. She had a great serve % though.

virtue05
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:35 PM
All I can say is Venus had 8 aces lastnight, so how else is she supposed to serve?

volta
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:46 PM
her serve is what worries me the most sheīs not confidente at all in her game and we can see that speacilly in her serve games, she serves about 80% of the time to the midle of the box she isnīt looking fo the lines or even trying to do a HUGE powerfull serve she just wants the ball in she is "slicing" it 2 much and in my opinion her opponets are seeing that they donīt have to be affraid of her serve anymore so they just try a return winner. Vee is losing 2 much games on her serve the oponnents are breaking her serve to dam much but anyway i just think that sheīs just serving like this against this players (or i hope) cuz against the top 10 she will improve it.
i just donīt understand how she doesnīt improve her server when she practice with the best returner on turn itīs odd.anyway I LOVE MY QUEEN VEE she just needs to fix some "holes" in her game.

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Venus sure did have EIGHT ACES FOR SOMEONE WHO ISN'T SERVING WELL.One could as easily measure how well she's serving by the two lost service games in the first set.

Janet
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Yeah..........I agree with Weddy!! everybody should just get -off venus back she is doing fine face it everybody we are not going to the old venus, just give her praise in winning her matches and hope she can do well in her other matches against a tougher oppent, for all the venus fan I know you want her to do well but she is trying to give her best..................

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Venus has a ghetto booty. Anyways, she bascially has no variety on her serve. I could understand if she was still cracking the regularly in the 120 mph+ and think that they should start playing doubles to improve their serve.
I thought she showed quite a bit of variety in her serve yesterday. She hit several out wide and a couple of those for aces. Several went down the middle with a couple for aces and she hit many many body serves. I think she is trying to become more consistent with placement and getting them in, instead of going for the full load and double faulting, which is a good thing. Give her sometime. The further she gets in this tourney, the better, more confident she will become.

Odd
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Venus may not be her old co-dominant force along with her sister, but Venus at 80% at that is still a chance at winning this AO.

Although when she comes up against molik, then maybe davenport and co, she cannot play any less than what she is now or she'll get smoked.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I'd rather she backed it off into the 110-115 range, and got up to a 70% first serve percentage.
Disagree. Venus' forehand is fine. When she isn't trying to hit flat, thousand mph winners with it. She needs to use it to stay inthe rally more, and force people to hit to her backhand, where she can set up winners. She has the shots for it. She just doesn't choose to play that way.
I agree with the second part of your post regarding her forehands. They have improved because I believe she's added some top spin. However, she is doing exactly what you've suggested in the first paragraph of your post. She's serving in the 110-115 range and getting them in. She was near the 70 percentile with her first serves against Peng with 67%. So, I think she's progressing with that part of her game. To tell you the truth, I'm really impressed with Vee and this tourney so far.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Venus may not be her old co-dominant force along with her sister, but Venus at 80% at that is still a chance at winning this AO.

Although when she comes up against molik, then maybe davenport and co, she cannot play any less than what she is now or she'll get smoked.
Well, she and Lindsay went three sets the last two times they played, so I think it will be a good fight, unless Vee is having an off day. Vee has a chance to beat Lindsay because Vee is playing much better than she did when she last played Lindsay, so I'm really not that worried about Molik or Lindsay.

volta
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Lindsay is the only player that is always attacking Veeīs Forehand every shot that she sees she tries to go for the Vee forehand.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Lindsay is the only player that is always attacking Veeīs Forehand every shot that she sees she tries to go for the Vee forehand.
Sometimes you can go to the well too many times. :cool:

thelittlestelf
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Pick, pick, pick! Venus played pretty well today, got the job done, and that is a lot more than you can say for a lot of top players who lost sets in their matches.

It was the 2nd round. Venus, even at her best, has never been known for playing early round matches at her best.

Martian Jeza
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:52 PM
She is ridiculous and if she keeps her head in the clouds about the state of her game, she will never win another slam :sad:

Come on Venus, keep your head in the clouds about the state of your game : you can do it

Infiniti2001
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:55 PM
That rotweiller :dog: is everywhere dammit :tape: