PDA

View Full Version : Should the Chinese fans that wound up Laura Granville be punished or banned?

strike86
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Well. I think they should be banned for about a year from attending tennis tournys.

Andrew.
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:16 PM
What happened? :confused:

sarza
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:18 PM
they were mean :mad:

strike86
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Describe in full Sara.

strike86
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:21 PM
From an onlooker at the match.

Can I say that this wasnt the only instance where Chinese supporters acted inappropriately. At the Na Li match they were yelling very loudly after every point, and yelling very vigourously and aggressively. A few supporters also yelled out at the umpire, another stood up and pointed and abused a linesman, and the wrong one at that, and then some even had nerve to yell at Granville and call her a cheat at various stages.

Here is the evidence make your decision.

tom2791
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I am not sure I didn't vote for your options because I agree with kinda all of them. They do deserve to be punished though.

TFan1156
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:37 PM

Can I say that this wasnt the only instance where Chinese supporters acted inappropriately. At the Na Li match they were yelling very loudly after every point, and yelling very vigourously and aggressively. A few supporters also yelled out at the umpire, another stood up and pointed and abused a linesman, and the wrong one at that, and then some even had nerve to yell at Granville and call her a cheat at various stages.

This may be how they typically respond to sports in China. Some reported they were wild and unruly by accepted standards at the China Open. There may be no easy remedy for this...

Crazy Canuck
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Bah. Tennis fans are such sissies. And I'm not talking about the ones that you're attempting to single out here :)

griffin
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:46 PM
This may be how they typically respond to sports in China. Some reported they were wild and unruly by accepted standards at the China Open. There may be no easy remedy for this...

Sure there is. If a fan or a group of fans are getting out of hand (and I'm not saying this crew did or didn't - I wasn't there), the chair can ask them to calm down or stop whatever it is they're doing that's a problem, just as they remind people to turn off their cell phones, etc.

If there's still a problem, have security pay them a visit to ask more firmly.

EasyPeasy.

TFan1156
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Sure there is. If a fan or a group of fans are getting out of hand (and I'm not saying this crew did or didn't - I wasn't there), the chair can ask them to calm down or stop whatever it is they're doing that's a problem, just as they remind people to turn off their cell phones, etc.

If there's still a problem, have security pay them a visit to ask more firmly.

EasyPeasy.

I agree but that does not sound "easy" to me, especially if they are widely dispersed...

Thauron
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I think it's very difficult to act effectively against such behavior, although I must admit it got me irritated several times too - unluckily those weren't Chinese fans but Belgium fans :rolleyes: (FO 2003: JHH vs S. Williams, Olympics 2004: JHH vs Myskina,...).
By the way, if one would take action against those over-agressive "fans", one should also take action against Yuri Sharapov. :tape:
If there can be an effective way to single to guilty ones out and keep them out of tennis courts for say a few months or even a year, I wouldn't mind.

TFan1156
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I think it's very difficult to act effectively against such behavior, although I must admit it got me irritated several times too - unluckily those weren't Chinese fans but Belgium fans :rolleyes: (FO 2003: JHH vs S. Williams, Olympics 2004: JHH vs Myskina,...).
By the way, if one would take action against those over-agressive "fans", one should also take action against Yuri Sharapov. :tape:
If there can be an effective way to single to guilty ones out and keep them out of tennis courts for say a few months or even a year, I wouldn't mind.

Yea, therein lies another difficulty, consistency...

Spunky83
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Well. I think they should be banned for about a year from attending tennis tournys.

Did Safina ask you to do this? Tell us the truth! :secret: ...Venus vs. Peng, should be pretty interesting according to some of you guys

tennislover
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:19 PM
thumb down for them!

sarza
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Did Safina ask you to do this? Tell us the truth! :secret: ...Venus vs. Peng, should be pretty interesting according to some of you guys

Yeah :haha: no its purely about Laura, although the same thing happened to Safina by the sounds of it. the players just handled it different.

strike86
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:29 PM
No I thought up of it on my own freewill not Sarza or Safina at all. LOL

pcrtennis
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Where is all this criticism when Serb, French, Spanish and other European fans act badly?

Seems like there is a double standard...

sarza
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Where is all this criticism when Serb, French, Spanish and other European fans act badly?

Seems like there is a double standard...

they didnt act badly to Laura so why would it be about them :confused:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:51 PM
If Chinese fans should be banned from tournaments for a year, maybe they should move the French Open for a year, and make the Italian Open the clay court grandslam!!!!

KV
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Seems like there is a double standard...You're better off to say nothing. Bet you voted nothing. Face the reality several players like Senoglu complained about the Chinese tournaments the way she's treated. And for a change stop crying & bashing players when your fav. lose.

strike86
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Well 12 for action and 9 thinking they should be left alone, intresting.

Darran
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:57 PM
These chinese spectators seem to be an unruly mob don't they, first the Safina match and now this :O

TFan1156
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:02 PM
These chinese spectators seem to be an unruly mob don't they, first the Safina match and now this :O

Sounds to me like mostly all they need to learn is when it is appropriate to cheer and when they are expected to be quiet...

Rocketta
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I don't know did y'all think that the australian crowd should've been banned when they were booing Serena inappropriately when she played Clijsters that semi-final? I seem to remember people saying, "They just wanted Kim to win. They thoght this ...They thought that... You can understand she's like an adopted aussie".....Well guess what the chinese fans just want their own to win, etc. etc. It's up to the umps to take control of the matches and the crowd. If they don't it's the umpire and officials fault.

Black Mamba.
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Nothing, they paid their money and as long as they don't run on the court and try to fight players then let fans be fans.

Greenout
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:18 PM

I want to give you a perspective from an American in Singapore.

Mainland Chinese sporting fans have a reputation
around these parts. Alot of countries aren't too thrilled with
their zealous behavior. Where countries like where I'm at
Singapore, Thailand or Japan tend to go crazy cheering for
their home team/player the mainland Chinese fans like to
jeer and boo the opposition.

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 20th, 2005, 01:54 AM
They weren't Chiense supporters, they were Na Li's entourage, only about 4 or 5 of them. I am a witness lol.

ashwu
Jan 20th, 2005, 02:26 AM
what????
when talk about china, there always some idiots blame everything on this board :(

i've seen rude fans almost everywhere. never saw someone put a poll here about it. where are you then???

Chunchun
Jan 20th, 2005, 03:58 AM
stupid thread :rolleyes:

Greenout
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:12 AM
what????
when talk about china, there always some idiots blame everything on this board :(

i've seen rude fans almost everywhere. never saw someone put a poll here about it. where are you then???

True- there are crappy fans everywhere. I think some people
are just so use to the old stereotype of shy quiet Asians that
when some people make noise, they find it different.

Tenisci
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:11 AM
they should banned, but only the people who do this

also in China ipek senoglu cried for that reason

Experimentee
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM

I was there almost the whole time and I didnt see any of that :rolleyes:
There really is a huge amount of Chinese hate on this board, its not funny. If you think the Chinese supporters should be banned, what should happen to the Croats? They are 10 times worse.

TS
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
That's just one person's view of the events for crying out loud....I too was there, and yes they were quite annoying at times, but honestly they were harmless. Completely, and utterly. It was a small group, and it's a real shame that Chinese fans as a whole have been perceived this way.

Don't believe everything you read folks.

Oh, and might I add - It was Na Li that wound up Laura Granville with her better tennis :D