PDA

View Full Version : Marat Safin on Dinara's loss to Amelie and more

DelMonte
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Source: http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=tennis/05/01/19/TENNIS_Australian_Women_Nightlea.html

Men's fourth seed Marat Safin watched his sister's defeat and later offered a scathing assessment of Safina's prospects.

"She has to make a lot of changes to be able to compete with all these kinds of players like Amelie," Safin said. "I know everybody is saying to her she is still young, she has big future.

"But I'm sorry, if you don't really understand yourself what's going on, it's a little bit difficult for somebody to fix it and explain it.

"It's my duty to help her but if she doesn't want to listen then we are going to have a lot of matches like this. There is no more charity for my sister. She has to learn the hard way.

"It's just a little sad to see the train pass and then she has to run away when I told her already: 'Take this train before it's going be too late'."

The Williams sisters seem to be having a happier sibling relationship, sharing a hotel room during the championship.

And Serena insisted that would stay the same even if they find themselves facing off in the latter stages of the tournament.

"I try to poison her sometimes but it never really works," Williams joked after enjoying an easy passage into the third round with a 6-3 6-0 victory over Dally Randriantefy of Madagascar.

"One time I put a pillow over her head but she woke up. That didn't quite work out. I told her I was just moving the pillow!" :lol:

skanky~skanketta
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:52 PM
marat! :eek: i think thats the way. public humiliation would probably be good for dinara. i mean, marat has been carrying her for a long time but i think she dee needs to step out of big brothers shadow. she's good, she just needs to know that.

serena! :lol: GIRL!

ginger_fish668
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Serena! :haha:

Dava
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Well hes write, for too long people have been saying Dinara is young so its ok, and i think in fairness people forget she is young, I mean shes only 18 or somehting now right, but, she has to start moving forward, cos their hasent been a big improvment from when she was 16 to the player we see out on the courts right now.

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Serena...:haha: :haha: Does anyone else thinks it would be cool to smoke a joint and have a few beers with 'Rena?

AnDyDog621
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I hope Dinara listens...

ginger_fish668
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Serena...:haha: :haha: Does anyone else thinks it would be cool to smoke a joint and have a few beers with 'Rena?

Oooohhh me! :wavey: Love the Williams, so freakin cool! :cool: They rock! Charisma is god's gift.

PaulieM
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:10 PM
serena is hilarious

kabuki
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Marat :sad:

Serena :lol:

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:13 PM
:haha: I am picturing Venus waking up and finding Rena over her with a pillow...and Rena playing it off...:haha:

Fantastic
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Well, I hardly think Dinara is going to listen to big brother when he's usually squandering his own talent with bountiful episodes of self-destruction and careless play. Like he said, Marat will have to let Dinara learn the hard way. She needs a boyfriend who will tell her these things straight up because she is more likely to listen to someone she is "in love" with. When Dinara worshipped Marat, she did everything he told her to do. Now, it doesn't seem so, according to what Marat said there.

And I would take a pass on Serena and a stashful of doobies. People tend to be the opposite of how they really are when they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. I'd be too afraid that she'd actually hurt Venus in her sleep with the pillow. :eek: :o ;)

AnDyDog621
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:25 PM
:haha: I am picturing Venus waking up and finding Rena over her with a pillow...and Rena playing it off...:haha:
I don't kno how u wake up...but i wake up usually with a yawn and small eyes...and if i was Venus, i wouldn't care less what was happening

Fantastic
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM
And I absolutely hate it when people say things like "Oh, she's still young, she has plenty of time" because that sets people up for complacency. I mean, people kept saying, "Oh, Martina Hingis is still young, she has plenty of time to win the French Open." Yeah, and where is she now? She's playing a tournament for charity only "in the hope" of making a comeback to pro tennis. It's gutting. Then, when Tatiana Golovin was left off the Olympic squad, people kept saying, "Oh, Tatiana is still young, she will be there at the next Olympics, she has time," and I think "bullshit!" How do they know that? What if she sustains a serious injury between now and then? Then it's over and she wouldn't have had that opportunity to play the Olympics for France. I absolutely hate it when players, commentators or just ordinary people say, "oh, she/he's still young, they have time." Nobody knows how much time we have. Go for it now! What are you waiting for!? End of tirade.

sartrista7
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Marat's totally right re: Dinara - but, er, like he can talk about wasting potential!

Prizeidiot
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Well, everyone seems to agree on this particular matter. People DO have to stop telling her she is young and she has time. Sounds a little harsh, but I guess that's what's needed.

Martian KC
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:14 AM
I agree with Marat. Dinara is losing way too many three setters.

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Well, I hardly think Dinara is going to listen to big brother when he's usually squandering his own talent with bountiful episodes of self-destruction and careless play. Like he said, Marat will have to let Dinara learn the hard way. She needs a boyfriend who will tell her these things straight up because she is more likely to listen to someone she is "in love" with. When Dinara worshipped Marat, she did everything he told her to do. Now, it doesn't seem so, according to what Marat said there.

And I would take a pass on Serena and a stashful of doobies. People tend to be the opposite of how they really are when they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. I'd be too afraid that she'd actually hurt Venus in her sleep with the pillow. :eek: :o ;)
yeah that will help her focus.....a boyfriend. :o :unsure:

Volcana
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Men's fourth seed Marat Safin watched his sister's defeat and later offered a scathing assessment of Safina's prospects.

"She has to make a lot of changes to be able to compete with all these kinds of players like Amelie," Safin said. "I know everybody is saying to her she is still young, she has big future.

"But I'm sorry, if you don't really understand yourself what's going on, it's a little bit difficult for somebody to fix it and explain it.

"It's my duty to help her but if she doesn't want to listen then we are going to have a lot of matches like this. There is no more charity for my sister. She has to learn the hard way.

"It's just a little sad to see the train pass and then she has to run away when I told her already: 'Take this train before it's going be too late'.""Dear Marat, Lil Sis don' always WANT to listen to Big Bro has-a-harem-on-his-arm-all-the-time. US Open title or no."

Marat has always said Dinara was more talented than he was. But she hasn't cot the stroke or the paower to play like Lindsay Davenport. Headcase himself or no, he's right. The train is leaving the station. Another two years and even being a top 16 seed at a slam is going to be a HUGE accomplishment.

Infiniti2001
I hope Miss Vee sleeps with one eye opened from now on :eek: :tape:

dreamgoddess099
"One time I put a pillow over her head but she woke up. That didn't quite work out. I told her I was just moving the pillow!" :lol:Yeah right, why would need to move a pillow on Venus' bed? :lol:

Gowza
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:23 AM
i actually think thee has been quite a big improvement from when she was 16 to now. take her first match against serena she took like 1 game or something, last year and this year she has taken sets off some of the top 10 players, she has improved the consistency on her groundies and her serve is bigger although not exactly reliable. she needs to work on fitness because thats one of the major things holding her back atm, she can compete for a set with the top players but then gets too tired and the other thing is adding more variety into her game because against mauresmo she had no variety what so ever. i think she has improved just not as much as people expected she would.

Lucy
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Source: [url]

"One time I put a pillow over her head but she woke up. That didn't quite work out. I told her I was just moving the pillow!" :lol:

:lol:

10nisfanofruz
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Nobody knows how much time we have. Go for it now! What are you waiting for!?

That is exactly right. :worship:
Diana's problem is being stabborn. Having talent can't help if she doesn't improve herself. She is 18 yrs old. What is she waiting for? Just look at Masha, she doesn't seem to wait for anything :rolleyes:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 20th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Practice what you preach Marat .

Jackson.
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Marat :bolt: