PDA

View Full Version : Kuznetsova may sue Belgian minister

DelMonte
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Source: http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=tennisNews&storyID=7364897

UPDATE 1-Open-Kuznetsova may sue Belgian minister
Wed Jan 19, 2005 08:19 AM GMT

By Julian Linden

MELBOURNE, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Russian U.S. Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova said on Wednesday she may sue the Belgian politician who accused her of failing a drugs test.

The 19-year-old said she was trying her best to ignore the doping issue while she competes at the Australian Open but that her lawyers were already considering action against Belgian regional sports minister Claude Eerdekens.

Eerdekens said this week that Kuznetsova had returned a positive result following a doping test at an exhibition tournament in Charleroi last month.

However Kuznetsova was cleared of any wrongdoing after governing body the WTA Tour said Eerdekens had spoken out of turn because ephedrine, the stimulant she tested positive for, is permitted at exhibition events.

"He definitely has to pay for it," Kuznetsova told a news conference on Wednesday. "My lawyers, my agents, my parents, WTA, everybody is working on it.

"Everybody's on my side because this is a terrible thing what can happen," she said.

NO ESCAPE

Kuznetsova showed no obvious sign of being distracted by the saga as she demolished Marion Bartoli of France 6-2 6-0 to reach the third round at Melbourne Park but could not escape the spotlight.

"I'm professional enough to go there and just to do my job. While I was on the court, I was not thinking about this. I was focused on my match," she said.

"But you know the funny thing, last year when I won the U.S. Open, it was a big dream for me, but I was not so famous.

"Now everybody is coming to my press conference, looking at my practice.

"I feel like a star here and I didn't do nothing wrong," Kuznetsova said.

She reiterated that she was innocent of any wrongdoing and disputed the minister's claim that she failed to tell the drug testers she had taken medicine to treat a cold.

Kuznetsova said that she had fallen ill during the exhibition and was treated by the tournament doctor. She said the doctor told her the medicine was all right to take and she notified the drug testers.

"I had temperature like 37 (degrees). I just felt sick and I went to the doctor. That is usual for everybody," she said.

"He gave me medicine and I was taking it. So nothing wrong with that. I was sick for, like maybe two days. I was taking it during the time he told me to."

"I'm not afraid of nothing because I didn't do nothing wrong. Maybe it's touch my reputation a little bit, but I think everybody understand."

Kuznetsova said she had been overwhelmed by the support of other players but had still not spoken to Elena Dementieva, her Russian team mate whom she beat to win the U.S. Open final.

Dementieva was implicated in the affair, along with Nathalie Dechy of France, when Eerdekens initially said one of the three had tested positive before he singled out Kuznetsova.

Dementieva told reporters she was so upset her name had been dragged into it that she could not bring herself to talk to Kuznetsova.

"I kind of understand her, I don't mind," Kuznetsova said.

"I think we are all involved and we are all victims of this. It feels like everybody understands so I'm really pleased with this and appreciate that. We're all very clean athletes."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11985884-23216,00.html

He [ Eerdekens] added that Kuznetsova had not told the people doing the doping test that she was taking medication for a cold.

"She should have declared it at the time of the test but she didn't do it," he said.

Either someone is not telling the truth here or the Belgian testing authorities in not recording being informed by Sveta have been unbelievably negligent. :rolleyes:

"Sluggy"
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Gettem Sveta

Marcus1979
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Take him to the cleaners.

:yeah:

Greenout
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Oh- don't worry. This guy will be gone by the end of the month.
He'll be forced to resign under stress or take a quiet job in
another department.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Go Sveta!!

Rollo
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Posted by Greenout Oh- don't worry. This guy will be gone by the end of the month.He'll be forced to resign under stress or take a quiet job in
another department.
We can sure hope so :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM
another department.
lucky it was Sveta, had the player been more "tabloid friendly" the SUN would have gotten hold of all of that ministers secrets, family stuff and plastered them over their paper, not to mention all his ex-girlfriends (all of which have nothing to do with anything) just to get rid.

moby
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Don't you think you guys are being a little too hard on the Belgian minister?

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Not at all.
no wonder he's in politics :rolleyes:

Greenout
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:16 AM
lucky it was Sveta, had the player been more "tabloid friendly" the SUN would have gotten hold of all of that ministers secrets, family stuff and plastered them over their paper, not to mention all his ex-girlfriends (all of which have nothing to do with anything) just to get rid.

:lol:

If it was the SUN this guy would've been found having
dinner with Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and the
next days paper would have Arsenal manager Arsene
Wenger calling them all "cheats".

DelMonte
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Source: http://www.theage.com.au/news/Breaking-News/Kuznetsova-calls-in-the-lawyers/2005/01/19/1106110808619.html

But Eerdekens hit back, accusing the WTA of being "rotten" at its core, and claimed one of Kuznetsova's coaches was advised on Monday morning of her positive result.

"Her trainer had in fact called the anti-doping cell in Belgium's French-speaking community at 10:30am (local time) on Monday, and it informed him of the situation. The statement was not released to the Belgian press until 5:30pm," Eerdekens said.

"I'm flabbergasted to learn what they're claiming.

"We have completed our mission, but the WTA apparently doesn't even intend to study the Kuznetsova file. It's staggering.

"I'm under the impression there is something rotten at the highest level of the WTA, which should have every interest in collaborating in the fight against doping instead of giving the impression of doing the contrary."

Eerdekens contradicting Sveta's story about not being notified is interesting, but in the greater scheme of things irrelevant if the substance she tested for was not prohibited as she was not in competition. It seems astonishing that this cannot be cleared up by the legal advisers who can explain this distiction.

turt
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:18 AM
another department.
I doubt this. nobody cares about it here in Belgium, they hardly talk about it...

chris whiteside
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:18 AM
I hope she does.

veryborednow
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:19 AM
We have completed our mission
His mission to make himself look like a complete twat.
http://www.ker95.com/internet101/assets/images/congratulations.gif
Little man, job well done.

moby
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Not at all.
no wonder he's in politics :rolleyes:I figure that if he is in politics, he ought to have a certain level of competence. This is a very bad mistake and he most certainly needs to apologise, but don't you think that he was ill-advised about the situation as well? Besides I don't think much if any harm was done to the player's reputation. He's already been punished by making himself look like a fool.

I don't think he should be given the sack.

fifiricci
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Besides I don't think much if any harm was done to the player's reputation. How patronising :rolleyes: ! I bet that would not have been your response if the finger of accusation had been pointed at Justine, whose fans went off like a veritable collective rocket when a poster suggested that she'd been pumping more than iron to get those muscles.

And you must be mad if you think this will not impair Sveta's reputation for a while at least.

hilde26
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:58 AM
"Her trainer had in fact called the anti-doping cell in Belgium's French-speaking community at 10:30am (local time) on Monday, and it informed him of the situation. The statement was not released to the Belgian press until 5:30pm," Eerdekens said.

"I'm flabbergasted to learn what they're claiming.I guess that Sveta, WTA and russian tennis federation all knew who the player was, but they insisted on having not informed to earn time. In doing so, ElenaD was heavily involved in this allegation (probably more than Dechy) And I guess that ElenaD also knew what was going on because she must have contacted with russian tennis federation and WTA. I guess that's the reason why Elena was so upset about Sveta and WTA.

Daniel
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Go sveta :) take all his money , :D

ACEKID
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Does anyone have this ministers address so i can send him the protocol on drug tests as well as see what his job is about, i just kinda feel he should work for a gossip page or a paper that lies! The Minister is just making himself look stupid :fiery:

Oleh
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:07 AM
I feel sorry for her.
I still cant understand why a minister would stick his butt into such a thing? I mean private sports players are not ministarial property are they?

moby
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:14 AM
:lol: God, how patronising can you get! I bet that would not have been your response if the finger of accusation had been pointed at Justine, whose fans went off like a veritable collective rocket when a poster suggested that she'd been pumping more than iron to get those muscles.

And you must be mad if you think this will not impair Sveta's reputation for a while at least.I really don't see why you need to drag JHH into every thread. :rolleyes:

Sveta has come out of this incident a victim. She was proven to be wrongly accused. How is that going to damage her reputation?

carot
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I really don't see why you need to drag JHH into every thread. :rolleyes:

Haha, that's her main purpose in life ;)

Maybe a lawsuit will clear up some of the fishy stuff that's going on here - because lots of statements from both sides completely contradict each other.

fifiricci
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I really don't see why you need to drag JHH into every thread. :rolleyes:

She was one of the four players at the Exhibition and the first one to be cleared in this mucky affair, I hardly call that "dragging her in". :rolleyes:

Her name has also been named in all the other threads on this subject (not by me I hasten to add), so dont be such a tosser.

Greenout
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:49 AM
She was one of the four players at the Exhibition and the first one to be cleared in this mucky affair, I hardly call that "dragging her in". :rolleyes:

Her name has also been named in all the other threads on this subject (not by me I hasten to add), so dont be such a tosser.

Nobody is being a tosser. We miss our Tennis Bunny with
the Teddy bear eyes as much as you do! I can't blame you and
your crush on H2, it's very understandable. :)

fifiricci
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Nobody is being a tosser. We miss our Tennis Bunny with
the Teddy bear eyes as much as you do! I can't blame you and
your crush on H2, it's very understandable. :)I wondered how long it would take you to join in the latest Just Teeny Club bash with another one of your cliched responses. :lol:

Dunno about a tennis bunny, but you do remind me of a duracell rabbit :tape:

spokenword73
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I am just hearing about this, but I don't see what the Belgian minister did so wrong. He just reported the results of a drug test right?
Sveta is protesting too much. (If she had temperature of 37 she would be dead.) The WTA is trying desparately to squash this scandal before it turns into what happened in major league baseball :mad:

veryborednow
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:51 AM
He just reported the results of a drug test right?
Before the 2nd test. Implicating 2 other players. Proclaiming another innocent. Refusing to apologise for breaking confidentiality agreement.

Did anyone hear about Koubeck before he was banned? No. That's how it's supposed to work.

Belgium do test, do 2nd test, work out circumstances, realise no laws have been broken. Nothing in the press. No damaged reputation of Kuzy, or the sport. Australian Open proceeds in peace.

etc. etc.

gentenaire
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Go Sveta!

JonBcn
Jan 19th, 2005, 12:15 PM
(If she had temperature of 37 she would be dead.)
Eh? A normal temperature is 36.5. It can be as high as the forties with a fever...

carot
Jan 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM
You don't even need medication if you have a temperature of 37 so yeah... :tape:

itzhak
Jan 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM
in the bottom line:
1. the way that the belgian authorities acted was disgraceful.
2. The real victims were LenaD and NatalyD.
3. Sveta didn't do something illegal. nevertheless, she oe her team could avoid the story by informing before the test what she took. its the right procedure and they didn't say nothing.

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 19th, 2005, 12:40 PM
another department.

he'd better!!

Grohl
Jan 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM
go sveta!!!

Kart
Jan 19th, 2005, 01:06 PM
In spite of my criticism of him I don't think Sveta needs to sue him. I don't really see what she has to gain - she's already been cleared.

The matter was cleared up pretty quickly IMHO she's lucky as these things can drag on for months. It'll be forgotten about in a few months time - unless, of course, it's perpetuated by legal proceedings in which case it's her choice to put herself under the extra scrutiny.

Greenout
Jan 19th, 2005, 01:13 PM
The guy's got no money. He's not a big corporation. Her legal
staffs weekly salary would cost more than the amount he could
pay.

I guess they could ask for a public apology or something like
that.

Gandalf
Jan 19th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I can understand that she does it out of anger, although maybe it's not the best option for her. But she must think that her suing will add more to her reputation than letting things fade out...

The Belgian minister just wants to be in the papers, and was incredibly irresponsible IMHO. They should get rid of him.

I wonder if the exhibition will continue this year. Will someone else besides Justine Henin want to play?

ginger_fish668
Jan 19th, 2005, 02:16 PM
"My lawyers, my agents, my parents, WTA, everybody is working on it."

Don't forget your fans Sveta! Get that guy! :yeah:

wipeout
Jan 19th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Legal threats could be way to force him to apologize, then I think maybe it'll be dropped by Kuznetsova and her representatives. That's not to say that official organizations won't pursue it anyway, though.

GoDominique
Jan 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Would like to know though if Sveta did tell them about the medication or not. :)

tenn_ace
Jan 19th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Does anyone have this ministers address so i can send him the protocol on drug tests as well as see what his job is about, i just kinda feel he should work for a gossip page or a paper that lies! The Minister is just making himself look stupid :fiery:
his email

claude.eerdekens@cfwb.be (claude.eerdekens@cfwb.be)

Could you also tell me that he is a jerk? Thanks:wavey:

vogus
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:14 PM
well, who tested positive for ephedrine, the Belgian minister, or Kuznetsova?

I do have some sympathy for her, but i think she ought to tone it down a bit with the "it's not my fault" act...

tenn_ace
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM
well, who tested positive for ephedrine, the Belgian minister, or Kuznetsova?

...the only thing he could be tested positive for is rabies or extreme case of idiocy... you don't need a doctor to do that, btw.

E. Blackadder
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:42 PM
go go go kuzzy :D As a belgian I completely support you!

Get that bully asshole of a walloon. He's so arrogant in this matter and just wants to make name. Efedrine is no doping drugs, you can find it in a lot of anti-coughing material!

XMan
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I have to say that the reaction of the WTA and Kuznetsova on this drugs allegation is very harsh. This minister may not have acted in the most appropriate way but he based his words on simple facts and a lack of explanation from Kuznetsova and her managers. We all know that in cycling, athletics and other sports there have been people, even the very best, who did cheat. We also know that tennis is very demanding sport so we can just suppose that it is always drugs free. It is the task of those with power to make and hold it clean so it remains a fair play.
It is frustrating to see how people react on this board. We should follow the mind in such a case, not our heart. If Kuznetsova sues the minister and she wins the case then this would be a very dark day in the history of the sport. And I don't argue her point of view, which may be right. I only argue the fact that those who take the responsability to inform the world need to pay the price.

Veritas
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:02 AM
I'm surprised how well Svetlana is handling this incident. Granted, the media and sporting bodies have been on her side, so she's getting positive/sympathetic publicity as being the victim of a government bungle, but it's amazing how she can put things temporarily to one side and focus instead on what's more important at the moment - aka, her tennis. I sure hope she'll have a long talk with her lawyers to see how she can find justice for what she went through. That Eerdekens does not deserve to walk off scott free from this fiasco.

glamorama
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:22 AM
I have to say that the reaction of the WTA and Kuznetsova on this drugs allegation is very harsh. This minister may not have acted in the most appropriate way but he based his words on simple facts and a lack of explanation from Kuznetsova and her managers. We all know that in cycling, athletics and other sports there have been people, even the very best, who did cheat. We also know that tennis is very demanding sport so we can just suppose that it is always drugs free. It is the task of those with power to make and hold it clean so it remains a fair play.
It is frustrating to see how people react on this board. We should follow the mind in such a case, not our heart. If Kuznetsova sues the minister and she wins the case then this would be a very dark day in the history of the sport. And I don't argue her point of view, which may be right. I only argue the fact that those who take the responsability to inform the world need to pay the price.

He could have ruined Svetlana's professional reputation and her career. What facts did Eerdekens justify that with? Certainly not the FACT that Svetlana's B sample hadn't been analysed yet (the test itself is still not legally complete!). Certainly not the FACT that Svetlana did not test positive for any substance banned by the WTA.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:24 AM

No. He totally mishandled this case. I accept that people make mistakes on the job, but this is an unacceptable one for somebody in his position. IMO, after a gaff like this he should be finding other work.

I wish her luck with her law suit if she proceeds. Maybe Elena and Dechy could make a case as well? :)

Crazy Canuck
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I doubt this. nobody cares about it here in Belgium, they hardly talk about it...

That's extremely unfortunate if true. Such a mishandling wouldn't be acceptable where I'm from :)

Julia1968
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:29 AM

I don't think you quite understand the implications of the matter. First, it wasn't the Belgium Sports Ministers place to announce any alledged positive drug test. The WTA was right...he was out of turn.

Secondly, he pointed the finger directly at Kutzy, not knowing that ephedra isn't a banned substance during exhibitions, or moentioning the fact that she was treated on court by a physician who gave her the medication.

The Belgium Sports Minister has made a total @ss out of himself and his country and deserves to be ostracized by the international sports community. What he did was irresponsible and attention-seeking at the expense of Kuzzy. She should sue him and make an example out of irresponsible people like him who speak before they think.

-Sonic-
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:47 AM
If it was me, or a friend, or a member of my family who had been wrongly accused of drug taking and the world's press were writing about it, and my fans and colleagues were speculating about it, right at the beginning of a very very important time of year for me/my friend/my family member....

....I'd want someone's head on a plate. And I probably wouldn't stop until I had it. I'd probably then shove the correct procedures in it's mouth.

XMan
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I don't think you quite understand the implications of the matter. First, it wasn't the Belgium Sports Ministers place to announce any alledged positive drug test. The WTA was right...he was out of turn.

Secondly, he pointed the finger directly at Kutzy, not knowing that ephedra isn't a banned substance during exhibitions, or moentioning the fact that she was treated on court by a physician who gave her the medication.

The Belgium Sports Minister has made a total @ss out of himself and his country and deserves to be ostracized by the international sports community. What he did was irresponsible and attention-seeking at the expense of Kuzzy. She should sue him and make an example out of irresponsible people like him who speak before they think.
Excuse me! If he was informed that the drug found in the test was because of a medication treatment then he had never announced anything about the case. It probably comes down to a communication error but, ok, these things may happen.
I'm not surprised that the WADA is not pleased with the WTA. The WTA does everything to prevent a scratch on the star status of their players. But I assure, whenever it runs out of hand and players are using drugs just too keep the pace with other drugged players then we'll end up in similar situation that destroyed the credibility of the cycling sport. The temptation of success is proven to more attractive then the dishonor of being a cheater. I only hope that the WTA does everything to prevent that such thing happen with our sport. American is known to be lax if it comes down to drugs prevention. So don't shoot the messenger, other people and countries may make a total @ss out of theirselves.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:44 PM
AHHHH! More bolded posts! So unnecessary!

-Sonic-
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:16 PM
HoW aBoUt ThIs InStEaD bEcCa?

10nisfanofruz
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:55 PM
"But you know the funny thing, last year when I won the U.S. Open, it was a big dream for me, but I was not so famous.

"Now everybody is coming to my press conference, looking at my practice.

"I feel like a star here and I didn't do nothing wrong," Kuznetsova said.

It's Ironic, isn't it? ;)
I would love Kuzzie to win AO in order to prove to the world that how mentally strong she is.< beside her physical strength> :)

gsm
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:06 AM
bend eerdekerns over backwards and let kuzzie have her way with him. if not him then any old belgium will do.