PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson loses to Petrova the first set 4-6, 6-0, 6-1!!! She deserves my applause!!!

New
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I dun care about the result, but like Lee Waters earlier, she has gained my support!! :banana:

She's playing very well abnd being brave and all!! She almost injuried herself, but picked herself up to continue to play!! That's the attitude!!! Go Sophie!!! :bounce:

New
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Someone just tossed something like a bread piece or pizza on court!! :eek:

gsm
Jan 19th, 2005, 08:52 AM
roche is building quite a reputation , still.

Marcus1979
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:04 AM
when she landed from that smash I had my heart in my mouth.

Glad that she never hurt herself.

Its good getting a set of the world #12.

Mr_Molik
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:13 AM
ugh shes gone into her shell and is playing defensive crap :o hope she wins a game

Jamesss
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Sophie just broke back in the last. Gutsy effort! :worship:

Giving Nadia a true run for her money:yeah:.

But stay focused Nadia! :mad: You will do it!

New
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:24 AM
At least she saved 3 match points... Well done!! :bounce:

Mr_Molik
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:26 AM
good effort soph

Consigliere
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I think it'd be fair to say after her interview with Craig Willis that Nadia Petrova is not quite all there.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Well done, Nadia!

Jamesss
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I think it'd be fair to say after her interview with Craig Willis that Nadia Petrova is not quite all there.

:wavey: A Nadia fan, but I agree. You've got to remember that it would have been nerve racking for her knowing that most the people there were cheering for Sophie. Is it just me or do other people get the feeling that Bruce McVaney and Kerryn Pratt hated Nadia :confused:

Cheers to Nadia :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Sophie :) nice effort
been a fan of hers since i saw her in Juniors at Wimby 03.

hope to see alot more of Sophie, she's improved :)

daniela86
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:49 AM
i saw the match :) sophie is an amazing player and indeed she deserves an applause :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: i think she won a lot of experience today;) and next time, she will even be able to win against a top player! keep on improving girl and see you in top 100 very soon! :)

Gowza
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:05 AM
sophie has a great game, the only concern i have at this point is that she doesnt really have a big shot, everything in her game is solid but she doesnt have a shot which can be match winning, hopefully she can develop one she hit one great backhand down the line winner and her forehand is pretty good so hopefully one of those will develop into a big shot for her, also has sound volleys and a sound serve. think she may need to get a bit more stick on her serve but she has a good topspin serve so she has many options in her game. and she is quite quick around the court.

Andy.
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM
She is a great young girl and if she keeps developing her game and fitness she can be a great player one day. And what was with that fake injury time out. Well done anyway sophie better luck next time.

broncosven
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Great Performance

Nadia wasnt her best in the first set but as an opponent you can only play the player that shows up . . . BOO YAA SOPHIE !!!

Gowza
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM
i agree with the comments of what bruce said, i didnt think it was something that should have been said and it is a double standard.

as for the injury timeout. my thoughts were that she saw sophie roll her ankle i think it was the game before and the next break they had she decided to get her ankle taped for precaution thinking that it may happen to her and keeping in mind that she is quite injury prone.

switz
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:49 AM
i didn't realise she goes to PLC. i used to date a girl who went there when i was at school.

her brother died last year which is sad

Jamesss
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:58 AM
i didn't realise she goes to PLC. i used to date a girl who went there when i was at school.

lol my cousin goes to Pymble. Also last year I was at the Year 12 Valedictory Dinner. :eek:

Gowza
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:01 AM
lol my cousin goes to Pymble. Also last year I was at the Year 12 Valedictory Dinner. :eek:
my cousins go/went there and i went out with a few girls from there, not a bad school.

Foot's Fingers
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Sophie was using that Nadya was out of game in the first set But she perfectly using it!!! Having one chance to break opponent serve she don't waste it.
She reminds me Vera Z a little and not only cos of tears

congrats Nadya! ;)

switz
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:07 AM
overall PLC produces the best looking girls of any of sydney private girls schools.

knox guys are very ugly i think ;)

Epigone
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Given Nadia's long list of injuries over the past few years, I believe her when she said that she felt something and decided to get it treated.

Having talked to her recently, I can tell you that she is very down about all of these injuries, and I think that she is going to take every precaution to prevent getting injured again. And, like geneve says, she could have been treated without having her ankle taped like that if she wanted to fake an injury.

Sophie played well, but just like at the Gold Coast, she couldn't capitalise on a good start. I love her backhand, but it can be erratic at times. She would also probably like to have a bit more pace on her serve, but she has plenty of time to expand her game.

Gowza
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM
in sydney she also had a good start and couldnt capitalise on it, i think she just needs to get use to the physicallity of tennis at this level.

Jamesss
Jan 19th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Given Nadia's long list of injuries over the past few years, I believe her when she said that she felt something and decided to get it treated.

Whether her injury was 'faked', genuine or precautionary, it was certainly strategically in her favour. It worked, to a degree, and Sophie's rhythm was disrupted enough to take the next service game to deuce.

She seemed fine about her ankle/foot after the match and didn't make a fuss out of it. I think she'll be more concerned about how she can get off to a stronger start in the next round. Maggie will likely be less forgiving and after that, Serena will definately be less forgiving. I don't understand though. She is hitting them well but there's an element of doubt lingering, that's doing something to her game.

Sophie Ferguson, wow! She got under Nadia's skin like a tick on a dog. (excuse the comparison) And her backhand is good as Martin points out! It'll only get better as she grows and develops strength in her upper body. It might be as good as Momo's or Justine's some day. With a master like Tony Roache :worship: coaching you how can she go wrong?

Slumpsova
Jan 19th, 2005, 02:41 PM
how old is she? she looks very young to me

Consigliere
Jan 19th, 2005, 02:49 PM
how old is she? she looks very young to me

18, not that young compared to Tati. I dunno what it is with Australians but our youngest (excluding Lleyton) don't seem to make it until later on like Alicia and Pat. Lesser tournaments? No Bolletieri academy?

crazillo
Jan 19th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Sophie played well, but her movement wasn't good in the 3rd set, she often was too late and she lacks that big weapon.....

anthonyqld
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:12 PM
She's 18. Turns 19 in May.