PDA

View Full Version : Hingis on the rebound:

Martian Melissa
Jan 18th, 2005, 04:14 PM
From hingis.org:

The WTA Tour says former No. 1 Martina Hingis still plans to play in Thailand at the end of January, her first tournament since 2002.

Hingis, 24, will play the Volvo Women's Open in Pattaya beginning Jan. 31 to raise money for several Thai charities that help women and children who have suffered from abuse, homelessness and illness.

She was 22 when she retired in 2002 after operations on both ankles. The five-time Grand Slam singles champion was the youngest player to reach No. 1 at age 16 years and six months. She won a combined 76 singles and doubles titles during her career.

Top-ranked Lindsay Davenport said she wasn't surprised about Hingis' plans for a return.

"I was surprised that someone quit that young who still, I thought, could have made a better comeback from all her surgeries if she'd given it more time," said Davenport. "I told her that."

"I thought she would come back, I think she's a good enough player," she said. "Whether she'll be the dominant force, if she plays fulltime, No. 1, or if she wants to see where she would be, I don't know."

The WTA said Sunday that Hingis had thus far entered only the Thailand event.

"It could be a case of her testing the waters," said the WTA's Roger Gatchalian. "She's serious though. It's not just a hit and giggle."