PDA

View Full Version : Sophie Wins First Grand Slam Singles Match

SM
Jan 17th, 2005, 06:00 AM
THIS IS HUGE NEWS!!!! :eek:

WELL DONE SOPHIE!!!! WELL DESERVED MATCH AND SUCH TOUGH FIGHTING SAVING THE 4 MATCH POINTS TO BEAT AN EXPERIENCED OPPONENT WHO HAD MADE THE 3RD RD HERE BEFORE AT THE AUS OPEN!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO SOPHIE!!!!!!

WHATS HER NEW RANKING PROJECTION APPROXIMATELY? :bounce:

- THIS SHIT IS BANANAS :banana:

Ganden
Jan 17th, 2005, 06:10 AM
yeah well done, that's great to hear! :)

broncosven
Jan 17th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Yaaahhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

broncosven
Jan 17th, 2005, 06:23 AM
So Cool

ive been following and SMSing to Ozfan all day while i have been at work and when it was 4-5 in the 2nd set i thought bugger it

and WOW !!!

Amazing !! Brilliant !! Awesome !!

rusty_red_head
Jan 17th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Well done Sophie!
an excellent win

Jamesss
Jan 17th, 2005, 08:02 AM
What's up with us Aussies?...just too good!

azza
Jan 17th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Sophie this is such good news :hearts:

Huntress555
Jan 17th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I watched that match, and sophie had some great great points, and remained pretty composed when it was match point.

Congrats sophie, huge effort :)

AUSBOY
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I watched the whole match!

Sophie was playing shithouse the first set and at 3-2 down in the 2nd she finally started hitting the ball with some depth and a bit of pace.

The first set and a half she wasnt running anything down, wasnt fighting, and only hit 4 winners in that time. She seemed flat as I was thinking how the hell did this girl get a set of Maleeva. It was the same with Olivia, its like they dont chase down balls unless its break point or they are facing break point. The passion isnt there the whole match which is something both girls need to get drilled into them more. They have to learn to not give up on any point.

Nuria though was playing well, but once Sophie finally picked up her game and starting fighting and running balls down she was even money with Nuria and matching her.

Sophie did have some help, on two of those match points Nuria double faulted, she just could not finish it off and was choking on the big points. In fact Nuria served 7 of her 15 double faults from 5-3 up in the 2nd until losing the tiebreaker. Both times Sophie was facing double match point she looked ready to give up but Nuria on both occasions double faulted on the first one and then Sophie only had to save one and she saw a glimmer of hope.

Sophie though fought hard in the 3rd again, the last set and a half both girls were extremely even. The only difference between the two was that Sophie didnt choke on the finishing line.

I had a few concerns though with Sophie, the main one being that she was returing serve between 1 and 2 metres behind the baseline which is a big no no! This let Nuria ace her numerous times with slices, and for a midget to rack up as many aces as she did was a bit ridiculous. Sophie though has to be careful not to be so defensive. She rarely attacked all day, and just rallied from well behind the baseline.

Sophie's serve though is solid, not a weapon but not one u can smack the return on, her second serve is very solid as well. I would like to see her add more power to the first serve. Her game though has developed nicely, she just needs to move forward, stand inside the baseline and she will find it easier to be the aggressor. She has developed the stroke though. Another concern though is that she stands so far back because her backhand requires such a huge backswing and she needs the extra time.

SM
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM
thanks simon. great match report :)

Aussie_chic
Jan 17th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Well done!! Fantastic news. And goodluck with the next BIG match. Petrova!

SilK
Jan 17th, 2005, 07:13 PM
OMG... I followed the match on the i-net and it nearly gave me a heartattack. I really thought she had lost already! :eek: Great first GS win! :worship:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 17th, 2005, 08:10 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Tennis/Ferguson-keeps-the-home-fires-burning/2005/01/17/1105810845581.html

well done Sophie ;) :)

broncosven
Jan 17th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Nice report

GO SOPHIE

Gowza
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:36 AM
sophie got the womens night session match tomorrow. good experience for her but at the same time it might overwhelm her. hopefully she plays well. good luck sophie!

rusty_red_head
Jan 18th, 2005, 12:10 PM
thanks for the report!
Good luck tomorrow Sophie!!!

louloubelle
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Ultra impressive in the first set against Petrova. Really went toe to toe with her and Petrova looked pretty ineffective.

A bit disapointed with Sophie's effort in the 2nd. She can really get down on herself (there were glimpses of this against maleeva last week) and the set quickly slipped away. Kerryn Pratt and Bruce tried to say Sophie was tired, had a let down and hasn't enough 1st class exposure but she there wasn't too much grit during this time. Tried picking up the pace in the 3rd and played some really good but Petrova had control by then.

Obviously can compete with the top100 and beyond and should earn a place there eventually. Will pick up her attitude as she gets older (junior mentality atm) and has a lot of scope with her game. Just needs some more zing in her shots, better court movement (hopefully to come about from her fitness coach) and the ability to kill some balls at the net.

Either way she has taken a jump that I thought wouldn't have happened this quickly. And all this from a limited season in 2004 with a personal tragedy - one to watch. :)