PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay prepares for possible farewell...

lindsayno1
Jan 16th, 2005, 11:44 AM
from australian open website:

Davenport Prepares for Possible Farewell
by Ashley Browne
Sunday, 16 January, 2005

Those heading to Australian Open 2005 should do what they can to watch Lindsay Davenport in action because it may well be the last time the last time she graces the Rebound Ace at Melbourne Park.

Then again, it may not.

The 28 year-old is in the twilight of what has been a superb career, what with three Grand Slam titles and a slew of other tournament wins over a 14-year career, but how much longer she continues playing remains a mystery.

Speaking at Melbourne Park on Sunday, Davenport said she will continue playing tennis for as long as she feels she has a legitimate shot at winning a Grand Slam title. But given that she finished last year as the No.1 ranked player in the women's game and with semi-final appearances at both Wimbledon and the US Open, it is clear that she more than belongs in Melbourne in the second half of January.

There were times in the lead-up to Wimbledon last year that she considered quitting the sport. But then came a wonderful fortnight on the grass, which ended only with a loss to Maria Sharapova in the final followed by an amazing summer on the North American hardcourts, with consecutive tournament wins at Stanford, Los Angeles, San Diego and Cincinnati.

Asked to explain what sparked such a run, Davenport says she simply got on a "roll".

"There was really no doubt in my game. I knew the shots I wanted to hit and it was a couple of years since I had played that way."

Davenport's preparation for the Australian Open has been hindered by a bout of bronchitis, which restricted her to just one match at the Medibank International in Sydney last week. But she returned to the practice courts after a few days of rest and hit for two hours before Sunday's session with the media.

"I'm 100 per cent playing (in the tournament) and hopefully I'll be 100 per cent by Tuesday," she said, looking ahead to her opening clash against fellow veteran Conchita Martinez.

"I'm starting out against a tough opponent," said Davenport of Martinez, who holds an 8-7 (3-0 at Melbourne Park) record in head-to-head play going back to 1994. "She's definitely an opponent who makes me hit a lot of balls and I'll have to be focussed because it may last awhile."

Long matches may be the theme throughout the entire championship. Davenport is one of many who believe the women's game is as open as it has been for many years. "Perhaps ever," she added.

"You had four Grand Slam winners - three who were relative underdogs - and there is no sure bet on who is actually going to come through and win. That may change of everyone is healthy and competing, but last year proved a lot that whoever is playing the best and the most consistent was the winner."

Elldee
Jan 16th, 2005, 01:36 PM
All these quotes were in gossip.com's link in the AO thread... I think she'll play a year, but she won't be back in 2006.

lindsayno1
Jan 16th, 2005, 01:42 PM
and me. she already did say 2006 was a deffo NO

Kelly
Jan 16th, 2005, 11:56 PM
who knows...i mean 2005 was definate no no at wimbledon and look what happened. im just happy weve got another out of her

RayRob
Jan 17th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Didn't anyone spot the mistake in the article?????

"But then came a wonderful fortnight on the grass, which ended only with a loss to Maria Sharapova in the final followed by an amazing summer on the North American hardcourts"

I didn't realise it was the final I was watching.....!? ;)

-Rache

lindsayno1
Jan 17th, 2005, 11:25 AM
semis innit!

foreva lindsay
Jan 17th, 2005, 03:47 PM
uhuh....some reporters dont even read what they write and talk shit!!