PDA

View Full Version : PAW Australian Open Press Room Thread

andrew_uk
Jan 15th, 2005, 11:15 PM
andrew_uk gets suprise welcome from SpikeyAidanm

REUTERS: British 14th seed andrew_uk arrived at Melbourne Airport on Sunday morning and received a suprise welcome from close friend and home favourite SpikeyAidanm.

The Brit had just checked in at the flight arrivals desk, only to turn around and receive a shock greeting from one of his closest friends on the tour. "One minute I was signing in, and the next thing I know Aidys (Aidan) is standing right in front of me! I had no idea he was going to come to the airport, he kept it a complete secret." The 21 year old then disclosed a bit more about his preparations, "A few of us are gonna go to Aidys' house today. Saschas (crazillo) and Luis (Hantuchov) are already here, and some others are gonna be having a hitting session with Aidan to warm-up."

andrew_uk also exclusively revealed that WTA Handicapper was on the same flight to Melbourne from Sydney, and was very quietly working out the odds. "He wasn't gonna give anything away. Gary (WTA Handicapper) is keeping those odds a complete secret for now" the world no 16 commented.

When asked about his thoughts on the 1st PAW Grand Slam of the year, Andrew revealed that he felt the tournament could prove tricky in parts. "There's a good number of matches in the 1st round which could be suprising, some are more obvious then others. PAW Grand Slams are funny tournaments because of the amount of matches to choose from, the amount of players who enter and the amount of picks you can make. The volume speaks for itself, and that's what makes a PAW slam so exciting. No player suprises me at all when it comes to the slams; anyone can win one. I'm just so excited to be back here again. In my last 2 grandslams I reached the semis and quarters respectively, so now I want to keep that record up. Before any slam, I am always very careful about who I pick, and I spend a long time contemplating who I'll choose. I'll sit there and will analyse the draw, until I come up with a list of players who I think have a good chance of winning, I just hate losing picks!"

Almost the entire field will be battling for their 1st Grand Slam Title over the next two weeks down under. Belgium's Geoffrey will be hoping to defend his crown, but the competition will be fiercer than ever.

The 2005 PAW Australian Open gets underway on Monday, and is expected to be the most highly contested tournament in the Open Era.

Marcus1979
Jan 15th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Good Article ANdy

:yeah:

SilK
Jan 15th, 2005, 11:23 PM
:worship: I am gonna beat you ALL though :angel:

Ravsieg
Jan 15th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Pires (~Kirilenko#1fan~) is said to have just arrived at Melbourne in complete unawareness of the press, and he's also said to intend to join andrew_uk on the warm-up for his first career Grand Slam.

The same source told us he expects to make up for the horrible start of the year it has been for him on Australian lands (22nd and 62nd)

clijstersfan20
Jan 15th, 2005, 11:31 PM
BACK IN ACTION

Well more excitement arises as more PAWers arrive to make their predictions for the first grand slam of the year. Among the many arrivals is Kasey{clijstersfan20} who spent most of last year on the injured list but now is back in action and ready to compete against favorites mypapa_je and Hantuchov.

Hayato
Jan 16th, 2005, 12:37 AM
South Americans Arrive

South American players Catriel, Agustin, Ranadalara, *cory*, Pointblank, Natasc, TheNextSabatini, felipe2004 and former world number one's Hantuchov and spencercarlos all arrived safely at the Tullamarine airport in Melbourne last night. All the players signed autographs ( ;) ) and were driven to their hotels. I caught up with Ranadalara at the hotel. The fourteen year old said that he is not nervous about the outcome of the Grand Slam, and is just enjoying being on the tour and doing reasonably well. "I know I won't win here, but to do well is my goal, because it's my first ever Australian Open. If I can get a top 20 position maybe, I could crack the top 25 in the rankings, which would be unbelievable. At the end of 2003 I was ranked lowly, and I couldn't imagine myself at currently #33. So it's great to be here with my fellow South American friends and fingers-crossed that one of us can win it here ;)"

In September 2003, there were 3 South American players ranked inside the top 200. Just over a year later, there are currently 9 South American players ranked inside the top 200, with two newcomers sitting just outside. This shows how far South American tennis has come, and hopefully for them they can perform well here in Melbourne. :)

:p

geegables
Jan 16th, 2005, 12:50 AM
GEEGABLES ARRIVES TO SYDNEY .... ON PLANE

Runner up at Sydney and up and coming PAW-er Geegables arrived at Melbourne on a plane following his success. "I was going to drive down from Sydney to Melbourne but since i won all that PAW money in Sydney i guess i didn't have to. "

The young Aussie is causing waves in PAW after jumping 12 places to an all time best ranking of 25.

"My sights are cracking the top 20. I've had that goal from the beginning of the year and i guess a successful Australian Open campaign will allow me to reach that goal quite earlier than expected. I'm not very outspoken which means few really know how much potential i could have in this game although seeing myself in the betting odds now and then is flattering"

Wiggly
Jan 16th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Wiggly's Interview!

The 14 years old newcomer talk with the Canadian press after he arrives in Melbourne last night! :)

Wiggly, you are Canadian #10, what do you thin about this?

Well, I know then it's not to good but I don't have chance so I wait for a good result this season. Canada is one of the best country in PAW so I'm proud to be in Canada rankings but I want to be higher of course!

It's your firts Gran Slam ever?

Yes! I'm so exciting about this! I hope to finish in top 30, I could be really happy but I'm young so I have fun and will see...

Who do you see wins this tournament?

I would say Mr_Molik because it's in Australi and i think it's the beat newcomer of 2004, future #1 so I'm betting on him. But so may matchs are :confused: then a nobody could wins and creat the surprise!

Thanks you Wiggly!

My pleasure! I wish a good tournament to all! :wavey:

Hayato
Jan 16th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Wiggly, Chevina, sacova, nave_2, =>QuickSnick=<, PointBlank, Ranadalara are the youngest competitors- all 14 y/o's ;)

CCCP1
Jan 16th, 2005, 02:05 AM
I am 14 as well.

Hachiko
Jan 16th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Chevina arrives in Melbourne for the first time.

Canberra quaterfinalist Chevina arrived in Melbourne overnight, to compete in this years Australian Open in only his second ever PAW tournament. The Russian arrived with fellow compatriot peanuts, and we managed to catch up with Chevina, shortly after his plane arrived.

First of all, welcome to Melbourne!

Thanks, it feels great to be here.

You made a wonderful debut, with a quarterfinal appearance in Canberra this week. How are you gearing up for this years Australian Open?

You know, I am very excited to be here in Melbourne to play my first Grand Slam. I hope I can do really well, I want to do really well. Last week, I feel, I may have tanked and lost my first place due to some walkovers and retirements, so I do consider myself rather unlucky and I hope to improve this week and learn from the mistakes I had made.

Have you made any friends on the tour, considering you are relatively new?

I have a couple of friends, yes. Pojana and Peanuts are probably the closest to me. We like to talk to each other when we are watching other players play, which is nice.

Thanks Chevina, and best of luck this week here in Melbourne.

Thanks, I am really happy to be here.

WTA Handicapper
Jan 16th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Excellent thread

SilK
Jan 16th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Dutch Team Arrives

http://www.copacasablanca.com/galeria/inaguracion/ina_7656-holanda.jpg

The Dutch PAW Team of James, CooCooCachoo, Mandy7 & Sil.As.If arrived on a private flight from Amsterdam straight to Melbourne this morning. The team was delighted with the fact both Mandy7 & Sil.As.If joined the team just before the start of the Australian Open. Sil.As.If played for Hungary, but after running into issues with the Hungarian Tennis Federation and his fellow players, he desided to replace Hungary for his second home country, The Netherlands. With that, he brought in NewBee to the tour, Mandy7. All four of them have known each other from around, but are extremely pleased with their team as it is at the moment. Sil.As.If. said: "We are still in the running to qualify for FedCup and that is our main goal as a team. It is great that we all get a long well and I am happy the other guys are doing so well. I hope we can end the year with four top100 players." When asked about his own chances in Australia Sil.As.If. said: "When I played for Hungary I was so held back that I lost my love for the game. Now I have new surroundings and I feel so much better. Much more free. I think I got a real shot at causing an upset down here in Australia. We'll see... I would love to end top8 and I am confident that I can!"

Hayato
Jan 16th, 2005, 02:41 AM
I am 14 as well.

It says in your profile you are 15, and you also told me that you are 15 :p

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 16th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Top ranked Aussie arrives back in home town

Seeking a much needed confidence boost, 17 year old SpikeyAidanm said he felt a mixture of excitement and anticipation, on the eve of competing in only his 2nd Australian Open. “To be honest, I am disgusted with my form” the world number 9 said, “my current form represents a shadow of my former past.” Admitting the rising newcomers has taken his toll away from his confidence, SpikeyAidanm revealed his tactics for this week – go for the big pointers, ignore the bookies odds and go broke. Few remember that SpikeyAidanm made the top 10 at the US Open and Wimbledon last year and is hoping toto extend that top 10 streak in Slams to three in a row.

beauty_is_pink
Jan 16th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Beauty Arrives in Melbourne
The newlywed Maria (beauty_is_pink) has arrived for the Australian Open two days ago with a "well-done" performance at Sydney and has said she's ready for her first Grand Slam!

Toronto Star-- Canada's 17yrs old Maria Nguyen, recently married to Sam (Chevina) on December 10th of last year will be playing in her first PAW Grand Slam and Daniela Hantuchova has had a chance to catch up to the World's #140 to ask about her newly developing PAW career, her expectations for the year, and some juicy secrets! ;)

Maria, you just came from the Sydney International, how do you think you did there?
Well I think I did alright. Usually I have a great head start in the first few days of the tournament, then I get into a slump and I drop really low. I finished 17th in Sydney and that's top 20 so for me, that's an improvement so far. I can only look at the positives and move on from there.

You just recently got married (to Chevina), congratulations by the way, was he there at the tourney supporting you? Is he here for the Australian Open this week?
Yes, thank you, yes, I just got married (blushes), it's been great you know, and yes he was there with me the whole week and just supporting me, he's great at that -- never let me get myself down. He's entered in the Australian Open this week as well, same with Ben (Ranadalara) so we'll all be there cheering each other on.

Well you're #140 in the world, you got up 7 spots from 147 because of your Sydney tourney, what do you have to say about that?
140 isn't all that great but it's sure is closer to #1 than 147! (laughs)
Well for sure one of my goals this year is to crack the Top 100 and maybe win a low tier tourney, I don't have high expectations for me yet I'm just going with one match at a time, we'll see.

You ready for the Australian Open Maria? Who do you think will take the title this year? Any players to look out for? Anything you'd like to comment on?
I am SO ready for the Austrlian Open! Bring it on!
I really do love Australia, it's such a beautiful country you know, and I want to at least do pretty well here, hopefully stay until the second week, but you know, first thing first is to enjoy myself and we'll see. There's a lot of great players here playing, like Hantuchov, Je_ne_sais_quoi, SpikeyAidanm, andrew_uk... they're all so great it'll be hard to top what they do, but I'll try. Plus, there's 11 Canadians in the draw so it'll be interesting, I think Canada has potential, we have great players, Nathan27, canuckfan, Wiggly, ~CANUCK~, we stick together and we just try to kick some ass so yeah, hard tourney to predict who will win.

Okay thanks so much for your time Maria, good luck in the tournament, have fun!
Thanks a bunch! Good luck and have fun to you too Daniela.

Harju.
Jan 16th, 2005, 05:18 AM
V-lix the Great
arrives in Melbourne

http://us.tv1.yimg.com/tv.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/tv_pix/fox/the_o_c_/mischa_barton/ep_theoc4.jpg OR http://cache.eonline.com/Gossip/Fashion/Images2004/lohan.04260404.jpg

Melbourne. Australia.

V-lix from Indonesia but staying in Singapore and would love to live in US arrives in Melbourne today with no one's welcoming him. With a very disappointed result last week in Sydney, V-lix was seen cuddling up with Mischa Barton, the OC star. in one of the pub in Sydney. What relationship behind them is unknown, however though, this week, Barton is not in Melbourne.

"Dont just assume things when you see a guy and a girl together. We are just close friends. In fact she will fly here next week. She had to do go back to US to deal with the OC thingy."

"I dont really have any expectation for this coming event. I have gone from bad to bleah. Last week was a disappointment. I couldn't ask for a worse result than this. This week, I'll just have fun PAW-ing, not pressuring myself."

"Who is going to win? That's so hard to predict, but I have confidence with my fellow countrymen. I'm sure one of them will make our country proud. Then again, I think one of the Aussies will make it. Who knows."

After the short interview, we wandered around the airport to wait for the next batch players to come, and then we saw the unexpected. V-lix was seen with Lindsay Lohan, the Mean Girls star, who just arrived, making out. Interesting, we say.

geegables
Jan 16th, 2005, 06:16 AM
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA V-Lix you're hilarious :) ohh *applauds at the interview* thats gold

Harju.
Jan 16th, 2005, 06:22 AM
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA V-Lix you're hilarious :) ohh *applauds at the interview* thats gold
;) oh you haven't seen the best yet.

I love Yellowcard btw. So glad they are actually starting to get attention.

raquel
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Raquel arrives in Melbourne - fashionably late, of course

Half of Britain's Hopman Cup winning team, Raquel, has arrived late at the British base for the PAW Australian Open in Melbourne after a good week in Sydney where she finished 10th. "I've had a good start to the season and I am having a great time in Australia. I want to improve on my performance here last year and I believe I can." she said, clearly in good spirits.

However the Brit's mood changed when asked about the growing gossip that she was seen at 5am crawling out of a window of the South American team's hotel. "What? I have no idea what you are talking about! There's no proof that I was in that hotel with Hantucho.... eh, I mean, er, it's all lies!"

Raquel did however confirm rumours that she will be filming a cameo in "Home and Away" during her stay in Australia. "The part is great - I get to violently beat up Bec Cartwright before becoming a biker lesbian and killing Alf Stewart. All within the space of 3 episodes. My main priority is of course PAW though and I will be doing all I can to do well here."

the jamierbelyea
Jan 17th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Upstart American Hoping to Make a Splash

When you are a newcomer to an established tour with over two hundred players ranked, it easy to be overlooked. That can certainly be said of how Johnnyweirfan, Jamie, started his career on the Pick-a-Winner circuit. He was so uknown in fact, his country of origin was a question at the start of the 2005 season.

It can also be expected that a new player should be simply happy, by getting a few ranking points each week, and making their way slowly, and steadily up the rankings. Johnnyweirfan however, is not that player. After a solid 9th place finish at the event in Canberra, jwf, was less then pleased.

"Definitley dissapointed in my result this week. :( oh well, I made some poor choices in retrospect, better luck in Melbourne!"

Jwf has started off 2005 well, with a runner up finish in Auckland, and the 9th place finish last week. He has an interesting hit-or-miss style, which often seeing him making huge gambles on big upsets. This style should land him in either the top spot each weak, or at the bottom of the ranking.

"You know I go out there to win, and even though I've only competed 7 times, I feel like I have the game to defeat anyone during a given tournament. Well the smaller ones anyway."

On competing in his first grand slam, and his first main tier event of the week he said,

"It's going to be very strange for me. I am definitley a player who's effected by the way other players PAW. I base a lot of my choices on who my competitors picked, especially during the end of the tournament. I don't compete for a good finish, I compete for the top spot. I look at the points I need, it's very mathematical and very calculated. It's worked this season, but certainly has the potential to be disastarous.

"This week will certainly be tough, because with so many players, I can't really go off other competitors. I also have a tendency to lose interest if I don't start off well in a tournament, and that's how I ended up with 0 ranking points after a couple of the 5 events I played last season."

Whether or not he is as good as he predicts is yet to be seen. The unknown and unhearled American hopes to make a big splash not only in Melbourne, but also for the rest of the year.

"I expect to be in the top 50. It's not something I hope, it's something I'm confident I can achieve. I have the game, to be one of the better players on the tour."

He certainly can talk the talk, but will he pick the winners? Bold words for the 116th ranked player, on the PAW rankings.

beauty_is_pink
Jan 17th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Beauty's been Shopping Around Town and Surfing with V-lix

Melbourne -- beauty_is_pink, Maria, has been spotted around downtown Melbourne shopping with fellow PAW mate, V-lix, yesterday. The pair was seen around noon at a nearby fancy restaurant and a couple of hours later, lagging around five to ten shopping bags, seem as if these two are expensive shoppers since they hit stores such as Gucci, D&G, Prada, Victoria Secret, and Versace. After the shopping, the two decided to meet up with some pals at the beach for some surfing lessons. Felix got the hang of it first time on the board, but Maria seemed a little occupied with the tanning and shirtless men running around :lol:. After about 2 hours surfing, the pair decided to head back to the courts for some practise, hitting back and forth and scretching. Seemed like a relaxing day for the pair.

Mattographer
Jan 17th, 2005, 05:03 AM
AlexSydney bump into Mr Molik in Federation Square

http://www.deafnation.com/insider/articlefiles/43-M2005Article2_3.jpg

AlexSydney attended closing ceremony of 20th Deaflympics Games last night to watch and went to a nightclub 'Transport' in Federation Square for catch up with his old friends and meeting other Deaf people from overseas. He stayed up in the nightclub until 2am which it closed.

He was about to go on ride with his friend's car to Mitcham, around 20 minutes away from Melbourne where he will stay at his friend's. Before he go on, he caught Mr Molik was around on Elizabeth Street. What was he doing in that time of night, anyway? AlexSydney realised his rivalry is drunk and seems unconrolling his own. Considering Mr Molik is underage of illegal for drink alcohol and he decided to take him on the car to the local police station. Mr Molik got fined for underage drink and will spend in the cell for overnight.

"It's hilarious thing to do with him!", the Canberra winner said, "You should see him last night, I mean, he seems totally lost! Wonder what he will said to me after released from the cell?".

SilK
Jan 17th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Sil.As.If: I feel robbed! :mad:

Hantuchov
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:40 PM
However the Brit's mood changed when asked about the growing gossip that she was seen at 5am crawling out of a window of the South American team's hotel. "What? I have no idea what you are talking about! There's no proof that I was in that hotel with Hantucho.... eh, I mean, er, it's all lies!"

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Mattographer
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Aussies Rivalry: AlexSydney is in roll-up while Mr Molik in the cell

After winning Canberra tournament last week, AlexSydney so far picked only 12 matches in first two rounds and he's inside of Top 100 for the standing. Whatever happened to his rivalry follow countryman, Mr Molik? He supposed to release from the cell in local police station but he need to sign out by his parents. His parents learned to find out what happened last Sunday when he was drunk on the street of Elizabeth Street. It upsets them so much and they declines to sign out for him, therefore, they disown the Gold Coast winner.

AlexSydney has a comment on that issue: "Oh that supposed be my fault for let him down from parents? No, I'm an honest and loyal to the laws so, I have to do something with Mr Molik. Therefore, I put him to the local police station and do own their work. I've no apologise for what happened to him because some of you know that I have an issue between me and him."

Mr Molik forced to stay in the cell and will hear in the court which will happen next week's Monday.

the jamierbelyea
Jan 20th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Unknown American Leads

JohnnyWeirFan, Jamie, is leading for the second consecutive day at the years first Grand Slam, the Australian Open, and he couldn't be happier. "Of course it's great to be the leader. It's sort of a shock because this is my first grand slam, and I wasn't sure if my strategy was going to hold up against this large field."

However it doesn't look good for the young American as he's completed all his picks. "I sort of wanted to get over it, and used all of my picks last minute. I just wanted to be done, and let the others match me. Most of my picks worked out, but it's always dissapointing when you cancel a paw, and you see your canceled Paw win [Diaz-Olivia def. Dulko]. I did really well this week, and would love to get my first win here, but I see a couple of players with a lot of PAWs left taking the lead from me. I think first or second, would get me into the top 50, and that was year starting goal, and that's amazing to me. We'll see though, I just want to stay in the top 2 or 3 now"

Hachiko
Jan 21st, 2005, 10:45 PM
Chevina & Beauty_Is_Pink spotted on St. Kilda beach

http://www.runeskaug.no/files/St-Kilda-Beach.jpg

Russian teenager Chevina and Canadian teenager Beauty_Is_Pink were seen by locals, walking along the beach hand in hand together, along St. Kilda beach, not far from Melbourne park. The married couple seem to be enjoying themselves in Melbourne quite alot.

QuicKyMonSter
Jan 21st, 2005, 11:01 PM
Dopping at the Open
Young Belgian Newcomer =>QuIcKsNiCk<= has been cought for having Nandrolona (sp?) in his blood. The news came after his 3rd round match win, when a doping-test confirmed he was dopped... :rolleyes:
"He isn't allowed to play for one month, therefore he will be back around the beggining of March" said his trainer....

gvhvhg
Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Gvhvhg Flies Under The Radar

Indian #1 Gvhvhg has not received much international press coverage during the first week in Melbourne, but he is all over the headlines back in India.
"It's really great," said the indian star, currently placed 28th at Flinders Park, "Everyone has been really supportive back home, I spend all my free time checking my messages."
Nobody was really expecting much here from Gvh--this is only his third PAW tournament, and he was coming off a horrible week in Sydney.
"It's my first major, Im just absorbing it all, its so great to brush shoulders with all the greats such as Spikey, Andrew, etc. As for the rest of this week I'm just going to keep playing my brand of tennis and try and get the maximum I can out of this tourney. By no means am I expecting to win, Im just aiming for the best result I can get."
Gvhvhg is currently ranked outside of the top 200, but his ranking should recieve a giant boost after his good show in Melbourne.

Hayato
Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:38 AM
Ranadalara Still Happy Despite First Round Loss

http://www.travelnotes.org/Flags/paraguay.gif

As the second youngest player on the PAW tour, Paraguayan Ranadalara suffered an early first round exit at the Australian Open. However, Ranadalara says he's enjoying the tour more than ever at the moment. "I am still happy despite my poor performance. I love playing in Australia and it's a shame to leave so early. But I am really happy that *cory* (fellow Paraguayan and broncosven (doubles partner) are doing well here. Hopefully I can pick up my form again before Bogota, because it is one of my main focuses this year."

:bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: