PDA

View Full Version : AO Qualifying - Aussie Girls

TS
Jan 12th, 2005, 06:45 AM
The qualifying draw is out and we have some interesting match-ups!

First time I can remember that we dont have any players in direct :o

Adriana Szili v Daniela Dominikovic :eek:

For the second year in a row we have two Aussie girls facing eachother...so a nice rankings boost for either of them ;) I think this is a toss up! Daniela has more power and if she gets her head right she can win this....but Adriana is very consistent from the back and has the game to frustrate Dani. Hope it's a good one.

Lauren Breadmore v Jessica Kirkland

This is a bad draw for Lauren as Jessica is a pretty big young talent from the US. Hopefully Lauren's good record here will continue, but it's not looking likely...

Jaslyn Hewitt v Dominika Nociarova

Maybe the best draw of the Aussies! I don't know much about this Nociarova chick, but I honestly think Jaslyn can make the 3rd round here and possibly even qualify if she plays to her best. The winner will face Els Callens (in shit form) or Elena Baltacha in the next round. Tough,. but winnable matches...in fact a winnable section if she plays her cards right.

Dubravka Cupac v Zsofia Gubasci

Totally unpredictable match as both seem to be hot and cold players. Don't know what game Dubz is gonna bring tomorrow, but Zsofia is certainly a beatable opponent.

Olivia Lukaszewicz v Jarmila Gajdosova

Jarmila seems to have fallen off the radar lately, so can Olivia (with a lot of solid summer training behind her), score an upset? Not likely, but here's hoping she can be competitive!

Shayna McDowell v Lourdes Dominguez Lino

Shayna can do well in this match I feel! Especially on this surface, with high bouncing balls against the tiny Lourdes. On clay she'd get thrashed, but if she carries over the confidence from almost beating Antonella last week, I can't see why she can't do well in this match! The occassion might be too big for her, and a win is a big ask...but this is one of the kinder draws she could've asked for.

What do you guys think? Thoughts? Comments? :)

rusty_red_head
Jan 12th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I think Szili will beat Dominikovic!

Pretty good draws Lets hope for a few wins!

broncosven
Jan 12th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Dani D should win

Lauren, Jaslyn,Shayna and Dubz are all toss ups could go either way

whislt i dont think Olivia has a chance unfortunately

louloubelle
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Im going to brave the heat and go tomorrow. With so few Aussies playing (than usual) I may be able to see all matchs.

Dani should have too much off the ground for Szili. Nice if Szili could repay the faith TA has in her however!

Will be a big effort for Jaslyn to win. Hopefully some dissapointment of missing a w/c will spur her on.

Shayna has a hope, the others I can't see getting thru.

TS
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah I'll be in attendance as well, wilting in the midday sun no doubt.

I'll be heading straight to court 6 to watch Dani and Adriana, which is a good position because I'm curious to see Sesil K play, nearby on court 4.

azza
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM
they will all lose :sad: exludes dani and adriana

louloubelle
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Yeah I'll be in attendance as well, wilting in the midday sun no doubt.

I'll be heading straight to court 6 to watch Dani and Adriana, which is a good position because I'm curious to see Sesil K play, nearby on court 4.
Im keen to get a look at McDowell too. If I feel like falling asleep I'll have a look at Breadmore ;)

TS
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:40 AM
So, a nanna nap on court 11 then? ;)

Oh hush now, Lauren needs all the support she can get :D

I think Jaslyn is playing on the far side (er, MCG end I guess) first up...so I might stop over there first to see how she is playing as that is where the entrance is, and then make the pilgrimmage to the civilized part of Melbourne Park.

Aussie_chic
Jan 12th, 2005, 11:55 AM
All those goin plz cheer em all on heaps!

And I'm sure I dont hav to ask but 'any chance of reports?'

ozfan44
Jan 12th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I reckon:

Dani will beat Adrian in 3
Lauren will get flogged
Jaslyn will win in three and make final round of qualies!
Shayna will go down in 3, i reckon will get nervous after winning set one and leading
Olivia will get flogged AGAIN!
Dubz - depends which dubz turns up i reckon a 3 set loss!

can we plz get some photos and also can someone sms me scores as i dont think ill be able to come online : 0428332137 :wavey:

good luck to all the girls, some fo you really will need a LOT of luck!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 12th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Daniela will beat Adriana in 2
Kirkland will beat Breadmore, although one of the sets will likely be pretty competitive
Hewitt will beat Nociarova in 3
Gubasci will beat Cupac in two fairly routine sets
Lukascewicz won't get more than two games against Gadjosova
Mcdowell will beat Dominiguez Lino in two sets. Dominiguez only played clay court events throughout all of last year. She hasn't played a match on hard courts since February '03.

pousita_fan
Jan 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Mcdowell will beat Dominiguez Lino in two sets. Dominiguez only played clay court events throughout all of last year. She hasn't played a match on hard courts since February '03.

Absolutely not. Lourdes will pass through the main draw. She's a great player!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 12th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Absolutely not. Lourdes will pass through the main draw. She's a great player!
I'm not denying that, but you can't just show up having not played on a hard court for two years and expect to win matches. Even though Shayna doesn't have a ranking, she took Serra-Zanetti to three sets, which shows she's at least playing like a top 200 player at the moment. On a clay court Shayna would get killed, but on a hard court with the crowd completely behind her, I think she'll pull it off.

Gowza
Jan 13th, 2005, 01:20 AM
jaslyn won 6-2 in the 3rd, well done. good luck next round.

azza
Jan 13th, 2005, 02:30 AM
D.Dominikovic Def Adriana Szilli 4-6 6-1 6-4
Jessica Kirkland Def Lauren Breadmore 7-6(5) 6-2
Jaslyn Hewitt Def 7-5 5-7 6-3
Lourdes Dominguez Lino Def Shayna Mc Dowell 6-4 6-2
Zsofia Gubasci Def Dubravka Cupac 6-1 6-2

azza
Jan 13th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Olivia is winning 6-1 2-6 4-2!

azza
Jan 13th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Olivia won 6-1 2-6 6-4 :bowdown:

rusty_red_head
Jan 13th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Well done Oliva!!!!

What was that you people said about her talent???

Well done to Jasyln and Daniella as well (I hope Szili injury wasn't too bad)

Lisbeth
Jan 13th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Congratulations to Jaslyn and the others who qualified :)

Good luck next round!

broncosven
Jan 13th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Wow !! Wow !! Wow !!

Go Girls !!

Boo Yaaaaa

pousita_fan
Jan 13th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Lourdes Dominguez Lino Def Shayna Mc Dowell 6-4 6-2 :bounce: :bounce:

As you can see quite easy for Lourdes. She's of course better than McDowell!
But next round, against Krasnoroutskaya she scarcely has a chance.

ozfan44
Jan 13th, 2005, 01:05 PM
wow olivia beat a severly out of form gajdosova

great win :rolleyes:

TS
Jan 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM
It's amazing how many of you seem to dislike the girl, and put her down at every opportunity. For crying out loud, the kid just won a match at GRAND SLAM level. I think that's something that deserves congratulations. Who cares who she played or how bad her opponent's form is...give her some credit at least. For fuck's sake this is starting to piss me off :rolleyes:

AUSBOY
Jan 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Gajdosova made 17 Unforced errors in the 1st set (4.25 games) and 21 Unforced errors in the 3rd set (5.25 games), also Olivia hit as many winners in the 1st set as she did the 2nd set, only 7 of them, and Olivia was serving around 40% for most of the match! You dont have to be much of a statistician to see that she pretty much gave Olivia the match on a silver plate and kudos to Olivia for staying in the rally long enough and for winning, but really there was nothing that great about her performance, she would have beaten the same player last year!

ZAK
Jan 13th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Gajdosova made 17 Unforced errors in the 1st set (4.25 games) and 21 Unforced errors in the 3rd set (5.25 games), also Olivia hit as many winners in the 1st set as she did the 2nd set, only 7 of them, and Olivia was serving around 40% for most of the match! You dont have to be much of a statistician to see that she pretty much gave Olivia the match on a silver plate and kudos to Olivia for staying in the rally long enough and for winning, but really there was nothing that great about her performance, she would have beaten the same player last year! Would Cupac have won? ;)

broncosven
Jan 13th, 2005, 08:32 PM
WELL DONE OLIVIA

After what this girl went through last year it takes a strong person to come back and win another match at a GS level. She is still young and although didnt deserve the WC last year proved by winning that she has poteintail to win matches . . maybe not against top class opponents but a starts a start

and hey . . You can only beat the opponent you are given !!

Vicky88
Jan 13th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Have to agree with Bros on this one, these players do not control who turns up the other side of the net.

I think it is fantastic that each of these girls won, as none were obvious winners. Let's face it, if any of them had of done the big choke, no matter how bad a day their opponents were having they would not have won.

Wishing them all the best of luck for the next round. For those that lost, hope they can take something away from their matches and build on that for future success this year.

louloubelle
Jan 14th, 2005, 05:03 AM
It's amazing how many of you seem to dislike the girl, and put her down at every opportunity. For crying out loud, the kid just won a match at GRAND SLAM level. I think that's something that deserves congratulations. Who cares who she played or how bad her opponent's form is...give her some credit at least. For fuck's sake this is starting to piss me off :rolleyes:
Yeah Im wondering this too. :rolleyes:

All because she was given a freebie w/c at Aus Open last year when some other so called deserving players :rolleyes: (ranked around 300-400ish:rolleyes: ) missed out. Tell me what is the benefit of giving a freebie to a tour hack who has no chance of making the grade anyway. Atleast with Liv there is some possibility of this occurring - it's worth investigating... yes?!

Yes Liv got smoked today - as would've the over 20 y/olds who may have played in her place. That's if they got thru the first rnd anyway!!

broncosven
Jan 14th, 2005, 05:11 AM
well all 3 lost to quite pathetic scoreline so dont think we will talk about that

3 girls made it through first round and thats the best effort for some years !!

(Although Dani D lost to Peer 4 and 1 which is ok)

rusty_red_head
Jan 14th, 2005, 10:16 AM
oh well at least they won a match!

Big ranking bosts for you all (Espeacially liv!, Well done I hope you do well in Bendigo and show everyone what your made of)