PDA

View Full Version : Delray Beach, Fla., gets Fed Cup match

Linnie
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:08 PM
For those of us in the South Florida area! :wavey: :bounce:

Delray Beach, Fla., gets Fed Cup match

January 11, 2005

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- The U.S. Fed Cup team's quarterfinal against Belgium on April 23-24 will be in Delray Beach, Fla.

The U.S. Tennis Association announced the choice of the site Tuesday. The Delray Beach Tennis Center hosted the U.S. Davis Cup team's quarterfinal victory over Sweden last year. The United States owns a 3-0 Fed Cup record against Belgium, whose top two players -- former No. 1s Justine Henin-Hardenne (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/319/) and Kim Clijsters (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/49/) -- are both currently sidelined.

darrinbaker00
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Why stop at Delray Beach? Why not just host the tie on one of the Williams' backyard courts? Even Stevie Wonder could see what the USTA is trying to do with this. :rolleyes:

croat123
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:13 PM
i'll go if it's going to be the top players of both countries, but i'm not driving 2 hours through heavy miami traffic if i'm going to see shaughnessy or raymond play callens

Linnie
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:21 PM
i'll go if it's going to be the top players of both countries, but i'm not driving 2 hours through heavy miami traffic if i'm going to see shaughnessy or raymond play callensI agree with you (and it's only about a 35-40 minute drive for me). I think other tennis fans will be thinking the same way.

I'm sure it'll be tempting for V and S to play close to home ;)

griffin
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:24 PM
I agree with you (it's only about a 35-40 minute drive for me), and I think other tennis fans will be thinking the same way.

Considering that they both played friggin' Lowell, Mass, I'm not sure location is their main issue ;)

darrinbaker00
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I agree with you (it's only about a 35-40 minute drive for me), and I think other tennis fans will be thinking the same way.

"The efforts of the City of Delray Beach and the enthusiastic response by area fans made last April’s Davis Cup one of the most successful events in U.S. team event history," said Arlen Kantarian, Chief Executive, Professional Tennis, USTA. "We’re thrilled to bring this special brand of team tennis back to Delray Beach, and we look forward to another loud and patriotic sold-out crowd."

When told that Venus and Serena Williams lived less than a hour away from the venue, Kantarian replied, "Really? I did not know that. What a coincidence!"

Linnie
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:30 PM
When told that Venus and Serena Williams lived less than a hour away from the venue, Kantarian replied, "Really? I did not know that. What a coincidence!":tape: :spit:

LindsayRulez
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Awesome! If Lindsay plays, I'm there!

Darop.
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:54 PM
There's no point playing USA vs. Belgium, Belgium should just retire :p

croat123
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I agree with you (and it's only about a 35-40 minute drive for me). I think other tennis fans will be thinking the same way.

not in miami traffic...i'm coming from south u.s.1 and it can take up to 40 minutes for me just to get onto I-95 or the turnpike

Pureracket
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I thought the US forfeited to Belgium during the 9/11 Terrorists attacks. That was when BJK was the captain. I don't know if they forfeited directly to Belgium or just didn't show up.

Meesh
Jan 12th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I'll drive the three hours only if Lindsay, Justine, Kim or Els plays! :bounce:

Linnie
Jan 12th, 2005, 01:01 AM
not in miami traffic...i'm coming from south u.s.1 and it can take up to 40 minutes for me just to get onto I-95 or the turnpikeI feel for you :o I work in downtown Miami, and what should be a 20 minute drive usually takes me over an hour :rolleyes: So I can't blame you one bit for not driving up to Delray ;)

tenn_ace
Jan 12th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Considering that they both played friggin' Lowell, Mass, I'm not sure location is their main issue ;)

...and it was one of the best atmosphere in the FedCup matches I've ever seen... they should bring more of those to the NorthEast

~|Naomi|~
Jan 12th, 2005, 05:41 AM
What surface will it be on?