PDA

View Full Version : Williams sisters and Mauresmo raring to go

CanIGetAWhat
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Williams sisters and Mauresmo raring to go

By Emma Quayle
January 12, 2005

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/11/williams_1201_wideweb__430x223,1.jpgSerena Williams, with mother Oracene in the background, takes to the practice courts at Melbourne Park yesterday.
Photo: Angela Wylie

The Australian Open women's draw lost none of its lustre yesterday, with the apparently healthy arrivals of championship contenders Serena and Venus Williams and Amelie Mauresmo.

Fortunately for a tournament that has lost Belgian pair Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne, all three looked healthy as they practised at Vodafone Arena yesterday.

Serena Williams, who has not played any tournament tennis leading in to next week's event, had her ankles strapped before hitting with elder sister Venus. But the 23-year-old, who played doubles at a Hong Kong exhibition event last week, looked relaxed and moved powerfully around the court, seemingly untroubled by the abdominal injury that worried her for much of last year.

The 2003 Australian Open champion fell to No. 7 in the world rankings after she missed last year's tournament following knee surgery, and failed to claim any of the three other grand slam titles. She is, though, a marginal favourite to take the title at $4.25 ahead of world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport at $4.50.

Henin-Hardenne abandoned plans for her title defence after MRI scans revealed a broken bone in her right knee, while Clijsters has been troubled by a wrist injury. Jennifer Capriati, who has not played in Melbourne since she lost her first-round match in 2003, has a shoulder injury and also is in some doubt.

The Williams' first Melbourne session was overseen by their mother, Oracene, who filmed Venus with a camcorder. The 24-year-old dropped out in the third round of last year's Open, on her way back from stomach problems.

World No. 2 Mauresmo, who has been battling a recent adductor injury and withdrew from the Hong Kong event, appeared equally comfortable during her centre-court practice session.

Mauresmo, the $6 third favourite, hit with Russia's US Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova, the world No. 5 who has not gone past the third round in three trips to Melbourne Park.

Geisha
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Awesome!

flyingmachine
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I love that "BALL WAS IN" T-shirt. :lol:

the cat
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:17 PM
All 3 are unprepared for the 2 week battle in Melbourne.

viele
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:23 PM

How can you make such a claim? :eek:

They have to be better prepared or as equally prepared as anyone else! Venus is looking in incredible shape and seems to have her confidence back, Serena will always be confident and her fitness is rarely a question, and Amelie is ultra determined and while she may not be as fit as she would like, I would never question her chances to win. Who is any better prepared to play for 2 weeks and win than these #? Lindsay? Maria? Elena? What a weird and baseless claim!! :confused:

lizchris
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Venus is the most prepared of the three and at this point, she is more prepared than Myskina, Sharapova, Capriati and Kuznetsova.

the cat
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Hardly a baseless claim. You think Mauresmo and the Williams sisters are prepared to play on that tough rebound ace surface for 2 weeks? I don't. But I could be proven wrong.

Pureracket
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I LOVE the shirt that Serena is wearing.

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Im not that worried about Serena losing in the early rounds because she hasnt lost before the quarters in years... SHe WILL be ready and WILL kick everyone's ass.. As for Venus... I dont think so

lizchris
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Hardly a baseless claim. You think Mauresmo and the Williams sisters are prepared to play on that tough rebound ace surface for 2 weeks? I don't. But I could be proven wrong.

If they weren't, they wouldn't have bothered to show up. At least they were smart enough to stay away from the Sydney tournament unlike someone else we know.

the cat
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Who's that someone else, Liz? Myskina?

Pureracket
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Hardly a baseless claim. You think Mauresmo and the Williams sisters are prepared to play on that tough rebound ace surface for 2 weeks? I don't. But I could be proven wrong.It's a two week tournament, but it's only seven matches, so it all kinds of narrows down to fitness, confidence, and the draw.

That said, there is no reason, besides Sharapova, that LD won't win the Aussie Open. (I'll throw Serena in the mix when I see her service motion).

Janet
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I'm looking forward for this 2 week event I wonder who will be leaving standing all the BEST TO MY FAV'S Venus & Serena

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:49 PM
It's a two week tournament, but it's only seven matches, so it all kinds of narrows down to fitness, confidence, and the draw.

That said, there is no reason, besides Sharapova, that LD won't win the Aussie Open. (I'll throw Serena in the mix when I see her service motion).

Ummm... did you see the YEC??? Serena did not have her serve there and she still beat Dementieva in straights so she definitely isnt a sure thing.. :rolleyes:

lizchris
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Who's that someone else, Liz? Myskina?
Yes.

I believe she was the one who was soundly beaten by a qualifier yesterday 6-1, 6-3 and then complained that she should have been smarter like Srerena and Amelie and not played in Australia before the AO because something is wrong with her rotator cup.

Pureracket
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Ummm... did you see the YEC??? Serena did not have her serve there and she still beat Dementieva in straights so she definitely isnt a sure thing.. :rolleyes:I don't understand what you're trying to say in this post.:confused:

RenaSlam.
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Brillant post, Liz.

the cat
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks Liz.

lizchris
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks Liz.
You're welcome.

lizchris
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Brillant post, Liz.
Thank you.

icequeen
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Yes.

I believe she was the one who was soundly beaten by a qualifier yesterday 6-1, 6-3 and then complained that she should have been smarter like Srerena and Amelie and not played in Australia before the AO because something is wrong with her rotator cup.

She pulled the same stunt to play in the olympics and still choked.

lizchris
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:24 PM
She pulled the same stunt to play in the olympics and still choked.
I'm not so sure this was a stunt. Apparently she has been carrying around this injury for a few months and chose not to do anything about it. But you never know.

Venus Forever
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I love that "BALL WAS IN" T-shirt. :lol:
Just classic, right?!?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hots4Safin
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:49 PM
too bad jenHEFFer isn't there in austrailia to see it :devil:

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:05 PM
nevermind.. i for sum reason thought that LD stood for Lena Dementieva but its Lindsay Davenport.. srry... my fault

Julia1968
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Venus is the most prepared of the three and at this point, she is more prepared than Myskina, Sharapova, Capriati and Kuznetsova.

Best prepared doesn't always equate "likely to win"

Pureracket
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Best prepared doesn't always equate "likely to win"SWOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tennnisfannn
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:36 PM
All 3 are unprepared for the 2 week battle in Melbourne.Pray, who in your opinion is prepared? It is still too early in the season to say anything. Thw williams have rarely played sydney anyway, amelie is obviously working on a new formular. All the best ladies.

Knizzle
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:45 PM
SWOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:haha: :haha: :haha:

jamesuk
Jan 12th, 2005, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE=viele]How can you make such a claim? :eek:
They have to be better prepared or as equally prepared as anyone else! Venus is looking in incredible shape and seems to have her confidence back, Serena will always be confident and her fitness is rarely a question, Amelie is ultra determined and while she may not be as fit as she would like, I would never question her chances to win. Who is any better prepared to play for 2 weeks and win than these #? Lindsay? Maria? Elena? What a weird and baseless claim!! :confused:[/QUOTE

Come on!! How can you say that fitness is rarely a question for Serena? As Capriati herslef once said, every time she plays Serena there is always SOME sort of problem. Fitness is, in my view, ALWAYS more of an issue with Serena (and Venus) moreso than other players. When they lose there is often something, other than simply the opponent, that was a factor in their loss.
It's the one thing that gets on my nerves about them

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 12th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Well with Jennifer, JHH, and Kim gone...only Lindsay and Sharapova can stop Serena. I know Mauresmo will be there...but based on history, if Serena meets Mauresmo in the SF we know what the outcome will be. And as for as Lena D, she might have Venus' number, but she's never beaten Serena. Same with Kuznetsova, Myskina, Dokic, and Zvonareva.

venus_rulez
Jan 12th, 2005, 01:10 AM
How soon we forget last year and all the surprises. None of you know who is prepared, who is going to win, or who will flame out in the first round. You only know what you hope will happen and that's it.

hablo
Jan 12th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Finally, some good news about Momo!! :cool: :p

*Jean*
Jan 12th, 2005, 02:49 PM
http://img30.exs.cx/img30/6510/mauresmo216ml.jpg

Amelie seen in practising !
She seems to be in good physical form, and shouldnt have any phisical problems during the tournament ;) Let's hope ! And go Amé :)

lizchris
Jan 12th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Best prepared doesn't always equate "likely to win"
I never said she did, but at this point, she has a better chance winning this year than Capriati does.

Elldee
Jan 12th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Amelie, Serena and Venus are all at the Open in good time and practicing in the conditions and with the surface, they're equally as prepared as Lindsay and Elena at Sydney but in different ways.

DA FOREHAND
Jan 12th, 2005, 03:05 PM
S.T.F.U.!

xr6turbo
Jan 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Lets go Venus and Serena!!! :D :dance:

cheo23
Jan 12th, 2005, 05:19 PM
lol@U..She is not "More prepared' than MARIA
Didn't Maria BEAT HER 3 &4 last Week?
GET IT TOGETHER LizCHRIS!

jonny84
Jan 12th, 2005, 06:04 PM
It doesn't really matter how much preparation you get - sometimes you knacker yourself out by playing warm-up events before the Slam.

Every player will have their own reasons for not playing warm-ups and for arriving at Melbourne at different times. I'm sure they know what they are doing.

spartanfan
Jan 12th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Well with Jennifer, JHH, and Kim gone...only Lindsay and Sharapova can stop Serena. I know Mauresmo will be there...but based on history, if Serena meets Mauresmo in the SF we know what the outcome will be. And as for as Lena D, she might have Venus' number, but she's never beaten Serena. Same with Kuznetsova, Myskina, Dokic, and Zvonareva.
Its funny I was thinking the same exact thing. But I think LD is also a large question mark. Her record against Serena is something like 3-9 or 4-10 not that great. And with her knee/or is it shoulder bothering her, I don't see her getting through Sydney and then deep into the AO. Sharapova is still unproven at the AO and if Serena had not been injured at the YEC would have most certainly won there. I think the stars are starting to align for Serena (with Capriati, Clijster and JHH out) and if she can stay healthy and play focused in the early rounds, the AO is her's for the taking.

DA FOREHAND
Jan 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM
According to the posting on another thread Elena has never beaten Serena 0-4

DevilishAttitude
Jan 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Serena still wearing that shirt :rolleyes: Get over it :o

Does anyone else think cheo53's saying GEt iT tOgeTHEr quote is hilarious :haha: :lol:

MinnyGophers
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:10 PM

how can you know what the outcome be if Serena meets Momo in SF?
Last time i watched those games, it was extremely close, there was no choking. I'd say it's a toss up.