PDA

View Full Version : WTA changing the rules: no special seeding anymore!

turt
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I've read this in my newspaper today: they talked about how Justine Henin-Hardenne didn't need to wait for 6 months before coming back to the WTA.

Why?

Because since January 1st, players who are out of the tour for 6 months get a protected ranking , but no special seeding anymore! So when Justine and Kim come back on tour, be it 6 months after they played their last WTA tournament, they will be unseeded and may very well upset the top seeds in first rounds...

What the ****? How many of these stupid rules changes do the players need before they go on strike or something?

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM
This only applies to WTA events right?. The grand slams have always
done their own voodoo, especially WIMBLEDON.

jrm
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Good rule

Vincent
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Er....Am I stupid or dumb? I don't see the advantages of this new rule...:sad:

turt
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:38 AM
WTA rules 2005, pg 228:

A player may not be seeded using her Special Ranking, however a player may be seeded using her Actual Ranking even if she has been accepted into Tournament using her Special Ranking.

turt
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:40 AM
There's still that "injury proctected ranking".

The "special seeding" was dumb. It jerked off the real seeded #3- #8
players.
Yeah, but imagine fully fit Justine or Kim when they come back they may be ranked way behind top 50, so when they play the first round of a tournament they can play against the top seed in first rounds every time. I bet neither the top seed nor Justine & Kim nor the tournament director will be happy with this...

Lady
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:41 AM
We'll just wait & see, you know!

WTA never follow the rules anyway! ;)

Stamp Paid
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Wow WTA, thanks for shafting Kim and Justine. :(

xin_hui
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:43 AM
stupid rule:fiery:

turt
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Well Greeny, on what legal basis will the tournament directors give her a seeding higher than her actual ranking?

Actually they said in the article that since the rule has changed, Justine really intends to play as soon as possible and will probably not wait for March 12th so she won't get a (useless) protected ranking.

Chunchun
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:28 AM
:eek: :D

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:50 AM
They're all over the place with these rules. I had no objection to special seedings, but they should be consistent with a player's protected ranking. This latest move looks like an overreaction to criticism.

icequeen
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah, but imagine fully fit Justine or Kim when they come back they may be ranked way behind top 50, so when they play the first round of a tournament they can play against the top seed in first rounds every time. I bet neither the top seed nor Justine & Kim nor the tournament director will be happy with this...

Oh please, you think they are going to come back after being off all of that time and start beating top players who's been playing all year long. If you really think that then you are in for a big surprise.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Your Paper is wrong...... there is still a Special seeding.

turt
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Your Paper is wrong...... there is still a Special seeding.
Okay then... where is it mentioned?

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 11th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Tournaments, even the piddly Tier IV, have never been obliged to follow the WTA rankings. They have always been able to seed how they wish, but they almost always follow WTA rankings.

Experimentee
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM
The special seeding was good, it allowed good players who'd been injured not to draw other seeded players early. I hope they havent got rid of it.

hingis-seles
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:10 PM
So only Venus, Serena and Lindsay benefitted from this rule? How convenient.

DevilishAttitude
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I hope this rule has gone since the Williams used it to there advantage and affecting others badly really amde it look stupid :rolleyes:

It'll make draws more interesting to :)

!<blocparty>!
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I'll believe it when it actually comes into play. If it's true it's the biggest loads of bollocks I have ever heard from the WTA, and that's saying something.

A bunch of retarded monkeys could run the organisation better as things are.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:58 PM
This is technically what the rule has always been. It's always been the case that once you're out for six months, you get an "injury ranking" that can be used for direct entry, but not seeding purposes. The "Special" seedings that Davenport, Seles, and the Williamses got were ad hoc seedings.

One should not be surprised that since the special seedings are ad hoc, the WTA aren't being consistent with them.

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I hope this rule has gone since the Williams used it to there advantage and affecting others badly really amde it look stupid :rolleyes:

It'll make draws more interesting to :)
Yeah...blame it on the Williams...:rolleyes:

icequeen
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Yeah...blame it on the Williams...:rolleyes:

Don't they always blame everything on the Williams girls. That's the norm in the tennis world.