PDA

View Full Version : Is Sprem over-hyped?

JenFan75
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:08 AM
She hasn't really done anything great since Wimbledon 2004, and she's been losing to players most people would expect her to beat. Is she really all that great?

switz
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:12 AM
i don't think she's overhyped so much as she has a lot of fans. a lot of people are pretty skeptical about her. there's no doubt she has a lot of ability when she firing but from what i have seen i have to say that it's pretty fine line super impressive and shocking. she hits flat, serves big but with little control - she has a lot to work on before she should be considered a big thread. then again she ranked 18 and is only 19 or 20 so she's doing pretty well for herself.

people act like losing to patty is really disappointing - which i really don't get.

rada
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:13 AM
i don't think so....... i think she had a few good wins but if u look back at them matchs they were so close! she will be about top 50 i really don't see her going top 10 like ppl think;)

switz
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:19 AM
i love reading my posts. i sound so stupid and i great typer

switz
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:21 AM
she will be about top 50 i really don't see her going top 10 like ppl think;)

she's top 20 already. i agree that she may struggle to hold down a top 10 but she'll get better and she's too good at her best not to come up with a few big scalps a year.

Volcana
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:47 AM
If you ignore Wimbledon '04, then yes. If you really want to know how good a player really is, it can be best to throw out their best result.

Is RG '97 the best indicator of Iva Majoli's career performance?

Is IW '02 the best indicator of Daniela Hantuchova's career performance?

Of course not in both cases.

Whereas OZ '01 IS a good indicator of Jenn's career performance. Because she performed up to that level more than once.

'Flukey' things happen. There are players wo's one career win EVER is a GS singles titles. That;s obviosly not the measure of their day-to-day performance.

rada
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:55 AM
she's top 20 already. i agree that she may struggle to hold down a top 10 but she'll get better and she's too good at her best not to come up with a few big scalps a year.

i know she is top 20 now but she won't be for long ;)

maya
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:55 AM
There have been several topic like this about Sprem. First of all, I don't think she is hyped at all outside of this board and Croatia.
Secondly, she was always hyped more for her impressive powergame than her results: whan she's at her best it's a formidable sight. She's just not at her best most of the time (like it usually is with players) and lately it seems not at all. But she's still young and usually players get more consistant with experiance.

Another thing is, she's not unknown to other players anymore. They know what she can do so they can prepare for it and they also know her weaknesses and can use the against her so she must actually raise her game to get to the same lavel she was at before.

Let's just give her more time and wait for the clay season.

Gowza
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:57 AM
i dont think she is over hyped, when she is playing well she is right up there with the best of them, jut needs to find the consistency of playing at that level but the ability is there.

Grohl
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:38 AM
god no, doesn't every player have a time where it isn't going that good?!?
We will hear from her!
she's my fave and always will be!

jrm
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Made a typical mistake for someone who was in her first full WTA tour season ... played too much now paying the price!

Nicky2002
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:10 AM
don't think so!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:13 AM
People also said Sharapova was over-hyped, especially when Masha had lost in the 1st round at 5 tournaments in a row at the beginning of 2003 (at the Australian Open, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston and Roland Garros).

Right now I can't speak for K-Lina. Moreover, I prefer to let her on court performances speak for her. So let's wait and see what she can do for us her fans.

Jakeev
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I think Sprem's biggest problem possibly is her work ethic. I think she herself admitted that she does not train very much.

I think if she got herself to train harder than she does, her ranking would rise and her results more consistent.

I frankly find her more a tad more talented than Iva Majoli but I surely hope she doesn't end up like Iva did who literally went away after her French Open win in 1997.

Karolina is young yet but how well she REALLY fares on tour will really be up to her.

10nisfanofruz
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:18 AM
People expected her to be good after beating Venus in Wimbledon.
I think that she just played the best form in the match but after that she couldn't play like that again. I mean she haven't been playing well and I wonder why? Because I think that she can be a good player. :confused:

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM
No.

Alot of people make the mistake of assuming "youth" gives you
the upper hand in what is considered potential for real success.

Look at Vampire- she was hovering(bad pun) around for years- and it all
came together last year.

Some players take a bit longer. K-Lina is about where she
should be right now.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I think she herself admitted that she does not train very much.
When and where did K-Lina admit that?

©@®eLess
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:26 AM
she just has bad luck with draws

Prizeidiot
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:01 AM
She is overhyped, but not a bad player. I saw her play live for the first time today against Patty (she lost 5-7 6-2 6-3). She's a belter. Really trying to hit the opponent off the court all the time, barely ever tempers or mixes it up. Just flat hard shots and a good serve all. The things with this is, it can be absolutely brilliant, but it can also let you down. I think she just needs to back off a little with the agression, control it more. She certainly has some talent, as I saw today

stijntje
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I'm a bit surprised with Karolina's results the last few months...

I saw her play last year in Fed Cup against Belgium and I must admit I was quite surprised... Ok, she lost to Kim Clijsters, but she has some great shots...

Don't know if it's a mental question at the moment...

Time will tell I suppose...

Grohl
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I've seen karolina play live 5 times and she's not overhyped, she's a great payer, going through a tough time at the moment

icequeen
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:47 AM
To put it simply, yes she is overhyped.

sense
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:55 AM
To put it simply, yes she is overhyped.

Perhaps to some degree she may have been overhyped
because Venus at WIMBLEDON wasn't that big of a deal nor
win. Alot of people would've taken her down, and have in 2004.

icequeen
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Perhaps to some degree she may have been overhyped
because Venus at WIMBLEDON wasn't that big of a deal nor
win. Alot of people would've taken her down, and have in 2004.

That is exactly when she made a name for herself on this board and became overhyped is when she got lucky and beat a still not fully ready Venus and was like she was the next slam winner. As always when they beat a sister they become famous and you can't deny that.

Since then Sperm hasn't done crap and probably will not in the near future.

ArgentineTennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM
She is not a bad player but is over-hyped. Sprem has to get a lot more better results to get the hype.

Darop.
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I always thought she was... But I saw her play in real life in Rome, and I must sya, she is the real deal.

Her shots are so powerful and flowing... I don't know, something about her surprised me.

Volcana
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM
'Over-hyped' in the sense that fans and the media treat her game as more mature than it is? Yes. But beating Venus Williams does get you noticed. And of course, given the scoring problems in that match, she got even more press for it that she would have.

However, I think we'll see over the next six months what the real deal is. Last year, Sprem lost in the first round of all three slams except Wimbledon. So she has every opportunity to advance in the rankings. All she has tro do to advance a couple spots is play to her seeding.

OTOH, her best four results in all in the first half of the year.

2004-02-16 129 SF Antwerp
2004-03-22 130 QF Miami
2004-05-03 172 SF Berlin
2004-06-21 386 QF Wimbledon

So if she's a Petrova, Molik, Zvonareva class player, we'll find out pretty soon.

croat123
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM
just about every player (except for hingis) has had some sort of slump after getting close to the top. today's match really wasn't all that bad, it's an improvement. hopefully she'll do better at oz

!<blocparty>!
Jan 11th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Not at all. She is in the top 20. I think she only needs one thing to take her game to the next level:

Consistency.

Darop.
Jan 11th, 2005, 01:40 PM
2004-02-16 129 SF Antwerp
2004-03-22 130 QF Miami
2004-05-03 172 SF Berlin
2004-06-21 386 QF Wimbledon
Didnt she make Berlin final? :confused:

Daniel
Jan 11th, 2005, 01:41 PM
she is top 10 material ;)

Junex
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:25 PM
if the buzz is true BTW, two words:

Borna Bikic

JenCpLvr
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:06 PM
K-Lina went undefeated on the ITF circuit.. There is no doubt in my mind that she is top 10 material. She does hit very flat and as a result, tends to make errors... But, when she's on, she's virtually unstoppable. I believe that when she gets the errors down and can control her shots a little more she will be a permanent fixture in the top 10.

alfajeffster
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Well, without Steffi Graf in the mix to measure her against, I guess we'll never know...

OH-OH-OH!!!

lolas
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I saw her in Berlin against Venus and I think she's great. She will rock on clay ;)

Kutuzova
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:16 PM
No way, not at all, she is in a little slump right now but that will change. She has to gain her confidence back and have the belief that she deserves to be up with the best players in the world. It was a very quick rise and it will take her some time to adjust. She will be fine and could be top 10 by the end of the year, she has so much talent!

Orion
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I think ...she's like all the Schiavone's and Smashnova's: at the top of a pack of consistent top 20 players who will never win a Grand Slam. That said, I do think she has a lot of talent. But there are tons of players with tons of talent, who still don't amount to much. At her best, a few Slam semi's...but I would love to be proven wrong!

vogus
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:43 PM
If you ignore Wimbledon '04, then yes. If you really want to know how good a player really is, it can be best to throw out their best result.

Is RG '97 the best indicator of Iva Majoli's career performance?

Is IW '02 the best indicator of Daniela Hantuchova's career performance?

Of course not in both cases.

Whereas OZ '01 IS a good indicator of Jenn's career performance. Because she performed up to that level more than once.

'Flukey' things happen. There are players wo's one career win EVER is a GS singles titles. That;s obviosly not the measure of their day-to-day performance.

wise observation 'Cana.

For the past six months, Sprem has not even performed at the level of a Top 50 player, let alone as a contender for the Top 10.

veryborednow
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:55 PM
That is exactly when she made a name for herself on this board and became overhyped is when she got lucky and beat a still not fully ready Venus and was like she was the next slam winner. As always when they beat a sister they become famous and you can't deny that.

Since then Sperm hasn't done crap and probably will not in the near future.
uh, no.

Says the defensive Williams fan who joined Dec 2004.

Actually she was hyped one this board way before then, because I distinctly remember her name coming up regularly since the beginning of 2004 and me not seeing her on tv until said Wimbledon match.

alfajeffster
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:14 PM
She hasn't really done anything great since Wimbledon 2004, and she's been losing to players most people would expect her to beat. Is she really all that great?
I think she pretty much shot her load at Wimbledon last year.

Brinyi
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:23 PM
She is overhyped, but not a bad player. I saw her play live for the first time today against Patty (she lost 5-7 6-2 6-3). She's a belter. Really trying to hit the opponent off the court all the time, barely ever tempers or mixes it up. Just flat hard shots and a good serve all. The things with this is, it can be absolutely brilliant, but it can also let you down. I think she just needs to back off a little with the agression, control it more. She certainly has some talent, as I saw today
This is the correct answer to the question.

JenFan75
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I think she could be top 10 material if she was more consistent.

Venus Forever
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I thought she was overhyped then, and I still believe she is overhyped, and this is coming from someone who enjoys her game.

Her problem is TOO much power. She can't control it all of the time. Just like Mirjana Lucic. She reached, I think it was, #32 in the world with her Wimbledon Semifinal, then fell of the face of the tour.... literally.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens to Karolina, although, I honestly don't think she'll drop too far. But, I don't think she is top 10 material.

Clay is her surface. I don't see her doing much on the other surfaces, unless she grows to like them, which she has plenty of time to do.

vogus
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I think she could be top 10 material if she was more consistent.
and i think i could be a millionaire, if i had a million dollars.

jenny161185
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I dont think she is overhyped - Ive only ever heard from her on this board,maybe some over hype her on this board but not many,when I saw her against Venus at Wimby,t was amazing she simply outplayed her,so this girl obviously has the talent to go places , but first she must learn the art of consistency!