PDA

View Full Version : Peng defeats Myskina 6-1, 6-3!!!!!!!

pcrtennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Shuai outplayed Myskina from start to finish. She's got loads of talent and has huge ground strokes (two hands on both sides)!!

GO SHUAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lemonskin.
Jan 11th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Wow. Wow, wow, wow!

Peng played an awesome match. Too many errors from Myskina but she was 100% outclassed today.

Almalyk
I can't believe this!! Well done Peng - but Nastya!!?? Did anyone see any of this? Was her serve really shaky?

xr6turbo
Whoa!! :eek:

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:00 AM
33 UE's from Myskina btw.

Great win for Peng :D

xr6turbo
I can't believe this!! Well done Peng - but Nastya!!?? Did anyone see any of this? Was her serve really shaky?
I saw some of it.. She made lots of errors but Peng was just too solid for her...

Hachiko
Myskina played badly but Peng played too well.
:wavey:

Lemonskin.
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:01 AM
I saw it.

Myskina was impressive in parts but was honestly outplayed today.

She took and injury time-out early in the second set for a cut on her hand.

switz
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:02 AM
great win for her but myskina was horrible.

Peng: 10 Winners 8 Unforced
Myskina: 6 winners 33 unforced errors :tape:

Oneofakind0490
:sad: Nastya :sad: To much errors today. Good luck in Melbourne.

Venus_Serena
:eek:

Venus Forever
Shuai :eek: :)

jd4eva
Peng is ultra impressive.

Really aggressive with very hard groundstrokes. She dominated Myskina today.

Myskina wasn't at her best but Peng didn't let her play her game and really held up when it came to winning the match.

LindsayRulez
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:03 AM
amazing!

beauty_is_pink
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:04 AM
I'm... speechless :speakles:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:05 AM
I saw Shuai play WTT back in '03 and even then it was apparent she was going to be at least top 20 material. Her game is reminiscent of Monica's in so many ways besides the two fisted groundies. She can cook up some absolutely hellacious angles, particularly on the dead run, and simply wallops the crap out of every single shot. She also has the same easygoing personality.:cool:

That being said, 6 winners and 33 errors is pretty crap from Myskina. She'd have trouble beating anybody with numbers like those...

kodeRED
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:05 AM
does anyone else have a feeling that ana tanked.. after her comments about not wanting to be injured for Oz ..
altho i don't want to take anything away from peng.. congrats!

Hayato
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Shuai is DEFINATE top 10 material. She played outstanding, only 8 unforced errors with long baseline rallies against Myskina. Though i'm not sure if Peng is any good on the net, Myskina didn't hit one single drop shot :p

cometz9
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Both Shuai and Na Li are incredible players. Hope to see more of them at AO. Good Luck to both next rounds

dansnewbeg
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Wow... these descriptions of Peng's game has me pretty excited for her. But still shocked as heck Myskina lost.

ArgentineTennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Wow... these descriptions of Peng's game has me pretty excited for her. But still shocked as heck Myskina lost.

Amazing win for Peng and she deserved it. Hopefully both Peng and Myskina will perform well at the AO.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Yahoo.. go Asia!!!

Dawn Marie
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:12 AM
It looks like Myskina got beat by her own game. This Peng got every ball in play and let Myskina make the error and handing over the point.

I am impressed with this kids stats. 8 ue's is Hingislike. Great job and this should bode well for her confidence.:)

I am really looking forward to Li and Peng's game. I hope I can see them on USA TV!!:)

shannonannafan
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:19 AM
ANASTASIA!!! :( Well, I just hope she got it out of her system and can do better next week.

Paldias
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Congrats Peng! :D

Happy Guy
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Congratulations Shuai! :) Next up Petrova/Hantuchova~!

xin_hui
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:23 AM
well done 彭帅!:bounce:

Janet
Wow....... the name Peng never heard of her, she must be from China............way to go can not mess with the chiness, they are one to rekon with!!!!

SerialKiller#69
How young is she? Lots of younger players making their mark now. The transition is now clearer.

pcrtennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:24 AM
She just turned 19 this week

Rafe306
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Will i see her in the top ten sometime soon?? Great win

Chunchun
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:25 AM
OMG :banana: Chinese rocks! :rocker2:

myskina :devil:

SerialKiller#69
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Wow. She's only 19. Her future looks bright. Another promising talent to add aside from,

Vaidisova
Golovin
Karatancheva
Groenefeld

Dawn Marie
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:29 AM
The Chinese girls are the ones to watch in 2005!! Hell they may win all 4 grandslams!!

Congrats!!!:)

Russia better watch cause the Chinese are coming to clean house:)

Will we have a Chinese domination?:)

Angel_Mars
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Nice showing from Peng :worship:

SzavayFi
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Holy Cow! :eek:

Dawn Marie
I want a channel devoted to these kind of players so I can see how they play and watch them as kids then see them on the tour kicking ass.

Should be called Tennis Channel-(Juniors)

Angel_Mars
The Chinese girls are the ones to watch in 2005!! Hell they may win all 4 grandslams!!

Emmm....... I don't think I would get that excited yet, these Russian girls are just starting to get going, if you ask me :D

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:33 AM
I'm... speechless :speakles:

WTF! Me too!

Vampire....Vampire...! What happened?

1st round match too. :rolleyes:

Almalyk
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Nastya!!! At the end did it look like she could even be bothered? Or was she just giving up?

cadiac
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:35 AM

AlexB
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:37 AM
what a horrible result..thank the lord i didn't see this mess on tv today cause i might have been reaching for the razorblades as we speak :banghead:

tennnisfannn
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Just saw the match and peng sure is exciting. Her forehand is brilliant. She is right handed and has a double fisted forehand, the beauty of that stroke is for the most part, one cannot tell if she is going to go cross court or dtl. She sure had myskina baffled. Player o watch this year.
Having said that, i also got the feeling myskina felt she needed a rest this week before the AO. She said after the hopman cup, she had only had 20 days break, words of a weary person. In any case she has week one of the AO to iron out stuff in her games, alll she has to do is make sure she doesn't lose early.

PatM04
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Peng is great! I saw her play the Dothan 75k in April. It was her first 75k and she won it. I have to final on tape as well. She SMACKED an in form Linetskaya around 6-1, 6-2. She's got huge groundies, decent serve, and just like Monica, goes after every shot...especially returns!!

TS
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Shuai :eek: :) wow....good stuff.

May the Chinese juggernaut roll on :D

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:51 AM
great win for her but myskina was horrible.

Peng: 10 Winners 8 Unforced
Myskina: 6 winners 33 unforced errors :tape:

(Greeny shakes head..)

So, what really happened here? This so unlike the Vampire.
She doesn't make 33 UE's. I watched all of matches from
the Hopman cup and she was hitting winners, and returns.
The serve wasn't great; but there wasn't alot of UE's.

I've seen Peng play. She hits hard, like a Chinese version
of Lucic; but there's no match strategy in her play-none
at all.

:fiery:

Whatever, right? Marat it's all your fault- you passed on your
lack off form to Vampire! :tape:

++Notice the sudden interest here... bandwagon hoppers
in Peng for no reason, calling her a juggernaut?
:rolleyes:

martirogi
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Thank god. I was worried nastya was going to be too tired for A.O. but she wont and she'll be flying under the radar.

Perfect.

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Thank god. I was worried nastya was going to be too tired for A.O. but she wont and she'll be flying under the radar.

Perfect.

Right. She played alot...no need for more matches.

bigshow21
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:55 AM
:eek: oh my!!! I've never even heard of this Peng girl before. Well, good job to her then!

TFan1156
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Is what you call getting PENGED... ;)

V.Melb
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Peng blasts the ball when she sets up for it. Even had Myskina played better this match would have gone to 3 sets.
Myskina hit a large amound of errors, but nevertherless Peng didn't give her any rythm at all.... Peng powered Myskina off the court.
Shuai Peng.... the asian Seles.

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:02 AM

Can't believe Dawn your bandwagon hopping. Sorry; they're
overated. It's all alot of wishingetc... The match play they display
is one dimensional. There aren't good coaches in China for tennis.
They just sort of hit and hit, and try to go with the flow of the
match. There's no strategy in their play.

The media is over complimentary to the Chinese players.

Peng has been around for a bit- and she's like a Chinese Lucic.
Big tall girl....about 6 feet or 5 feet 11 inches, and clubs the ball.

JenFan75
Nastya :sad:

Not a good day for my favorites.

Gowza
saw the whole match, peng has big grounides that are consistent, she moves quite well and has great balance on her shots on the run for a big girl. serve is a bit of a worry tho, bit like kapros in that department, something she will definately need to work on if she wants to compete with the top 20 or so players. nastya didnt really play that well imo, more unforced errors than usual for her and her serve wasnt on either, she did play some really grat points and showed glimpses.

one thing i noticed about peng that really impressed me a lot was her depth on her shots, absolutely amazing depth on basically every shot.

waratahsrock
Just found an interesting article about the match on sportal.com.au:

Australian Alicia Molik has overcome Italian Francesca Schiavone to advance to the second round of the Medibank International in Sydney but French Open champion Anastasia Myskina is a shock early casualty.

Knocking on the door of the world's top 10 following the best season of her career in 2004, the sixth seed made a fast start and then recovered from a brief lapse late in the first set to eventually tame Schiavone 7-6 (7-3) 6-1 in 75 minutes.

Molik opened well, holding serve in the first and third games and breaking Schiavone in between for a 3-0 lead, but after missing the chance to break again in the fourth game, she was then broken herself when serving for the set in the 10th game.

Molik again set the pace by racing to a 5-1 lead in the tie-breaker, and after a shot from her opponent hit the top of the net and fell back to her own side to make it 6-3, Schiavone then also double-faulted to surrender the set, falling to her back in disbelief.

There was to be no repeat slip-up from Molik in the second set though, the South Australian breaking in the opening game, and then again in the fifth and seventh games to take the second set in just 19 minutes and complete her victory.

"I was pretty happy with the way I played," Molik told Channel Seven. "I would’ve liked to have won the first set a bit easier. But I felt very comfortable out there. I'm playing great tennis, I feel fine, the body is feeling fantastic, so it's great to be here."

But there was no such elation for Myskina who battled a wrist injury throughout her match with Chinese wildcard Shaui Peng. Peng cruised through the match 6-1 6-3 and Myskina must be in some doubt to recover in time for next week's Australian Open.

Slovak teenager Daniela Hantuchova began her week in good touch, sweeping aside Silvija Talaja 7-6 6-2. Hantuchova's compatriot Ludmila Cervanova began well against Russia's Nadia Petrova, taking the first set, but Petrova rallied to claim a 4-6 6-1 6-2.

The day's other completed matches saw Patty Schnyder work her way past Karolina Sprem 5-7 6-2 6-3 and Tatiana Golovin prevail in three sets over Japan's Ai Sugiyama 6-1 2-6 6-3.

serenafan08
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:03 AM
:awww: Poor Myskina...

bigshow21
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:05 AM
What? Now Myskina is injured??? :confused: Oh brother!! Does it ever end? :mad:

SerialKiller#69
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:10 AM
So Myskina is injured? Don't worry people. I'm 98% sure she's playing the AO.

pcrtennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:10 AM

She's 5'8......yuo don't know anything....stop talking... :rolleyes:

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:12 AM
She's 5'8......yuo don't know anything....stop talking... :rolleyes:

Don't be so rude to me. I reside in Southeast Asia. I hear
all about these so called Chinese players all the time. They
hardly mention the Japanese or Korean players- when they
have shown to be better. Cho is better than Peng. OK!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched her on TV at Watson's Water Challenge last year
and they SAID she was about 5 feet 11! Ok!!!!!!

chinadragon
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:13 AM
She and Li Na ,both are the best chinese tennis players.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:14 AM
If Peng has no strategy at all, then she should be commended for hitting the balls inside the court which Myskina and a lot of players are unable to do most of the times. A little credit for the girl isn't asking for too much.

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:15 AM
If Peng has no strategy at all, then she should be commended for hitting the balls inside the court which Myskina and a lot of players are unable to do most of the times. A little credit for the girl isn't asking for too much.

I never said she doesn't hit deep. All the Asian players do..
they learn to play on hardcourts.

No- it's just the gloating by people in this thread simply because
Peng won w/out knowing anything about her, and assuming that
nothing was wrong or off from the Vampire today.

pcrtennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Don't be so rude to me. I reside in Southeast Asia. I hear
all about these so called Chinese players all the time. They
hardly mention the Japanese or Korean players- when they
have shown to be better. Cho is better than Peng. OK!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched her on TV at Watson's Water Challenge last year
and they SAID she was about 5 feet 11! Ok!!!!!!

Im a big Korean/Japanese tennis fan and Peng is definitely better than Yoon-Jeong Cho. Cho's very solid but Peng has more fire power and talent. The Chinese players are talked up becausse they are very good, Na Li, Shuai Peng, Li/Sun, Zheng, Liu etc......

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Im a big Korean/Japanese tennis fan and Peng is definitely better than Yoon-Jeong Cho. Cho's very solid but Peng has more fire power and talent. The Chinese players are talked up becausse they are very good, Na Li, Shuai Peng, Li/Sun, Zheng, Liu etc......

Not really they are talked up because STAR SPORTS is Indian/Chinese
based, and Singapore is more Chinese.

If you watched a Japanese or Taiwan broadcast of sports it would
be completely different.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Anyone who has a picture?

Mana
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:20 AM
WOW! Hope she meet's Nadia in the Q/F! Who knows what would happen?!?

pcrtennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:21 AM
http://wfoto.tripod.com/wkopihtm/wkopi/p1589w2.jpg

AKTW
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Congrats Peng Shuai!! :D

Hope Nastya is well...

SerialKiller#69
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:22 AM
http://wfoto.tripod.com/wkopihtm/wkopi/p1589w2.jpg
she looks like the letters tripod.:p

mishar
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:22 AM
How can you say for sure how good Peng will be? She's only 19. Cho is seven years older than Peng, so to say she's shown herself better than Peng is a little ridiculous, because Peng hasn't had a chance to prove herself.

Vincent
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Oh please stop the "who's better" fighting! :sad:

But I am very proud of Miss Peng, I saw her play two years ago in Hong Kong, she played against Monica and was completely outhit :o, but her groudies are surely big and she knows how to be aggressive!

But Anastasia, I didn't expect her to lose and this scoreline is embarassing...maybe you are not ready...:sad:

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:26 AM
How can you say for sure how good Peng will be? She's only 19. Cho is seven years older than Peng, so to say she's shown herself better than Peng is a little ridiculous, because Peng hasn't had a chance to prove herself.

As ridiculous in saying she's the next "SELES" simply because
she wins against a 30% Vampire today. :rolleyes:

pcrtennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Myskina was way more than 30%...you're awfully defensive about this...why can't you just admit that Shuai is verrrry talented, ive seen and followed her for a couple years...

She simply out classed myskina todya, many who watched say exactly that

jd4eva
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:32 AM
++Notice the sudden interest here... bandwagon hoppers
in Peng for no reason, calling her a juggernaut?
:rolleyes:

This is probably the first time a lot of posters have had the chance to see Peng play and considering her performance it was inevitable she would gain a lot of fans. I'm not really sure why that should bother you so much.

madjoe
so,now the chinese destroyed the russian,ahh-hha

but anyway,myskina is one of my favourite,i just hate the one always use "destroy" performing so rude and disgusting

mishar
Well, I didn't see anyone say she was the next Seles, only that her playing style is similar to Seles. And how do you know Myskina was 30% today? Did you watch the match? Did you talk to Nastya afterwards? Anyway, a win is a win. Many times top players aren't at their best, it doesn't mean Peng is a big deal, but why shouldn't her fans take pleasure in her biggest win?

Nastya won three matches against good players last week. Meanwhile Peng has defeated her previous four opponents in straight sets -- so maybe she's in good form.

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Myskina was way more than 30%...you're awfully defensive about this...why can't you just admit that Shuai is verrrry talented, ive seen and followed her for a couple years...

She simply out classed myskina todya, many who watched say exactly that

Nice of you to be rude and bad repping me for not
agreeing to your post.

pcrtennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:35 AM
I'm not being rude...

faboozadoo15
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:42 AM
wow :worship: she's come a long way. i'm very impressed.

hopefully myskina can assert herself better at the aus open and that she just ran into an awesome player today.

Veritas
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:45 AM
I saw most of the match on T.V., and although Peng Shuai played rather powerful and accurate tennis (her groundstrokes were pretty good, considering she's playing double-handed on both sides) and sometimes had Anastacia on the ropes with solid groundstrokes, it was mostly Anastacia's errors that decided the outcome. Anastacia had around 30 unforced errors compared to Peng's 8, plus her injured right hand may have also played a bit in hampering her game today. From what I saw today, Peng didn't 'win' the match, Anastacia lost it.

Marcus1979
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:47 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Who would of expected this.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:57 AM
OMG Nastya.

That is an absolute pathetic loss. Pathetic.

Stamp Paid
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Nasty is fooling all of you! Suckers!

2005 AO Champion, I know this!

_LuCaS_
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:27 AM
My hands are shaking when I write this post. I still can't believe it :eek:
Too many unforced errors. Why girl? This is NOT YOU :(

Nasty is fooling all of you! Suckers!

2005 AO Champion, I know this!

:yeah:

PS: I had a strong feeling she would win either Sydney or AO. Well ... :cool:

LucasArg
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Maybe this year is the China revolution! :bounce:

Well done Peng! :wavey:

This result is really unexpected, I watched all 3 singles matches from Myskina in the Hopman Cup, and she was playing pretty solid.

Experimentee
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Shuai :woohoo:
I knew she had a chance, but not thrash her like this! :eek:
I have taped this match, cant wait to get home and see it!

Experimentee
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:59 AM
I think Peng will next week overtake Na Li for the #1 Chinese, right now she should be ahead of her.

Experimentee
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:06 AM
I never said she doesn't hit deep. All the Asian players do..
they learn to play on hardcourts.

No- it's just the gloating by people in this thread simply because
Peng won w/out knowing anything about her, and assuming that
nothing was wrong or off from the Vampire today.

Ok people arent allowed to praise Peng for the win, and you are allowed to assume something is wrong with Myskina and go on about how Peng is such a bad player with no strategy :rolleyes:
It seems like the people saying good things about her are the ones who saw the match, so they'd have more credence than anyone who just saw the result.

It is natural to promote the Chinese players over the Japanese and Koreans bc they have more potential IMO, even though the Japanese are currently ahead. Although the media here hardly ever recognise Asians in general.

Veritas
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Ok people arent allowed to praise Peng for the win, and you are allowed to assume something is wrong with Myskina and go on about how Peng is such a bad player with no strategy :rolleyes:

There was something wrong with Myskina. Not withstanding she had to call in for a trainer to take a look at her right hand, she had around 30 unforced errors, which isn't "right" for a player her calibre.

switz
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:21 AM
her wrist was not injured btw - she just cut her finger.

switz
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Nice of you to be rude and bad repping me for not
agreeing to your post.

don't worry greenie - that poster is always like that. he can't disucss a matter when you don't agree with him or he doesn't agree with you so he just bad reps and questions how much knowledge you have.

i would say on the other hand that peng was very impressive off the ground and on her returns and she moves from side to side nicely. she has nothing else in her game from what i saw - eg she can't volley to save her life - dumping about four into the bottom of the net and her serve is very weak.

to say that myskina was outclassed is just wrong. she was spraying balls all over the court and was a fraction of her usual standard (maybe 1/3 - so a bit more than 30%). she seemed upset she was playing so poorly so i would she didn't tank - but i also wouldn't say that she tried very hard to turn her game around.

well done to peng though - she hit some great shots.

slice
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:56 AM
i was there live and i can tell you peng did NOT outplay myskina. from the beginning, nastya just hit way 2 many unforced errors, most of her shots going out or failing to clear the net... she looked good in practise this morning, but fell apart during the match...

peng didnt win it, myskina lost it.

tom2791
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Wow go Peng!

daniela86
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:17 AM
too sad for nastya :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: hope she won't lose her confidence just before oz open :sad:
btw, congrats shuai, i followed her results in challengers last year and i was always sure she'll cause some damages one day :cool: imo, she 'll definitly be the best chinese player at the end of 2005 and maybe reach the top 30 and she is only 18!! :) :D

rada
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Myskina didnt play well at all i don't see her doing well at the oz open;)

Daniel
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Nastya :sad: :sad:

Liliana
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:25 AM
does anyone else have a feeling that ana tanked.. after her comments about not wanting to be injured for Oz ..
altho i don't want to take anything away from peng.. congrats!

I totally agree with you. She said how she admored players like Momo resting before the AO. So I think she just lost early to rest for for the important match....

Foot's Fingers
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Sad story

Spunky83
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Peng :armed: ...here she comes! :worship: Congrats!

Okay, so far, so good...I just sum up the different explanations:

1. Nastya had a wrist problem, probably just "cut her finger" ( :confused: )
2. Nastya learned from good pal Marat how to totally tank a match.
3. Nastya was just outplayed by Miss :armed:.
4. Nastya just made too many unforced errors (33 UEs...should be awarded!)
5. Nastya just had a very, very bad day.

Maybe she can pull a Federer, losing early (seldom) and unbeatable in later sections in the draw;)...or she pulls a Schuttler (first-rd losing streak).

However, I hope she´s fine and I am pretty sure she will still have a succesful AusOpen :hehehe:

New
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:02 AM
A very good result from Peng, but I haven't seen this match personally yet.

But time will tell if she'll continue to do well.

So far, I've only seen her in wimbledon first round and she was not bad, but not good enough to advance to the next round, but then again, it could be due to lack of experience. Hopefully, playing more regularly brings about more confidence and experience on what to do if her A plan doesn't work. :)

Vass22
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Wow. Wow, wow, wow!

Peng played an awesome match. Too many errors from Myskina but she was 100% outclassed today.
Peng out-classed a top-4 player? wtf.

Natasc
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Bloody hells!!
I should put this in paw :haha:
nastya :sad:

Natasc
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Peng :armed: ...here she comes! :worship: Congrats!

Okay, so far, so good...I just sum up the different explanations:

1. Nastya had a wrist problem, probably just "cut her finger" ( :confused: )
2. Nastya learned from good pal Marat how to totally tank a match.3. Nastya was just outplayed by Miss :armed:.
4. Nastya just made too many unforced errors (33 UEs...should be awarded!)
5. Nastya just had a very, very bad day.

I love that one :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

My mum always say: "tell me with who you walk that will tell you who you are"
So...get out of Marat Nastya :fiery: !!

DevilishAttitude
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Nastya :eek: :lol: :tape: I'm sorry but if she wins in Australia Open then it's :o :o :o

I have to disagree wih some comments about Shaui. Yes she might of been hitting the ball powerfully and like Seles but if she'd blown Myskina off court she would have hit a lot more winners than 10. Myskina also hit 33 errors. Basically it comes down to Myskina's horror play and Peng's consisentesy that made today's score :)

loveactually
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM
well done, Shuai

blumaroo
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:31 AM
It just proves that Myskina is inconsistent as hell. How can a nr.3 ranked player lose soooo badly? Even with a cut in her finger, she could have at least taken a set or at least five games. Good for Peng though, hopefully this will give her more confidence to go all the way.

Emptiness
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:09 AM
It just proves that Myskina is inconsistent as hell.Well duh. How many more times does it have to be proven before its fact? http://www.imagelink.org/id35115.gif

stijntje
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:35 AM
wow... quite surprised with that result... :eek:

Yu-lun Wang
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of Myskina, but let's face it :
Today,
1. Na Li beat Frazier.
2. Jie Zheng beat Asagoe.
3. Shuai Peng beat Myskina
Remember these names...Chinese Stars are rising !

pierce0415
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Shuai ushers Nasty to the exit ...
I predicted this in the Showdown Poll thread I made

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Impressive !

But what happened Nastya :confused:

Experimentee
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Just saw the match. I'm not sure where people get the idea that Myskina's wrist was injured, it wasnt at all. She got the trainer out once to treat a cut on her finger.
Peng was more powerful and consistent than Myskina, who made more errors than normal, but Peng was very impressive. You would have to be very good to hit consistently hard and deep yet only make 8 unforced errors. Some of Myskina's errors were probably caused by Peng's depth and consistency. She also had problems with the pace of Peng's serve, which was not fast at all.

Oizo
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Remember these names...Chinese Stars are rising !
Yeah, they are afraid to lose the Gold Medal at the 2008 Olympics, so they better work till then. :tape: :lol:

Spunky83
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:59 PM
You know what´s funny? The fact that most top players can´t seem to cope with opponents which have the same style of game. From the stuff I´ve read around here, Peng seemed to have beaten Nastya with her own weapons...kinda reminds me at how Roddick got beaten by Pim Pim at last year´s US Open. It´s interesting.

davidmario
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:50 PM

I don't care about the strategy when there are big wins :)

goldenlox
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Anastasia only won 1 clay court match in 2004, before the French Open.
Then she beat Molik, Sveta, Venus, Jennifer, and Dementieva.
Anastasia is a very streaky player.

blumaroo
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:59 PM
""Well duh. How many more times does it have to be proven before its fact?""

Well, people always say she is so underrated. So obviously it hasn't been proven enough. Thank god I didnt bet any money on her.

davidmario
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Why did she play this tourney??? She should do it like Venus. One week rest to get 100% healthy.

goldenlox
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Anastasia came to Australia for Hopman Cup. And she entered Sydney.
But she said before this tournament, that from now on, she's just coming for the AO.
But still, if you are in the draw, you should be focused.
And not just show up and play sloppy.

She'll be focused next week.

gmak
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Well, Nastya played the Hopman Cup and then she said that she doesn't like playing lead-up tournaments before majors because she doesn't wanna risk any injuries and that she intends to go straight in Melbourne next year.... when i read that interview i knew that was coming, i'm not surprised at all!

looks like she was there for the appearance fee after all :rolleyes: :o

congrats to Shuai though, take nothing away from her :yeah:

jonny84
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Never Mind Anastasia - get to Melbourne and practise on their courts and get aclimatised and lets see you go far next week.

cheo23
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM
So what Game did Myskina cut her FINER?
NObody has said anything about when the "CUT" Happened
& if Myskina said she doesn't like playin a warm-up tournament
before a GRAND SLAM..why did she participate in this EVENT?????
EXPLAIN PLEASE People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlexB
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Its a horrific result no doubt if you like myskina, but these meltdowns are not new...actually it kinda makes it fun all the ups and downs...after this poor result the roller coaster says she wins the AO now...its not the end of the world, she will bounce back

and you won't find me making any excuses about her loss either, because we (her fans) complain when myskina is called lucky or "the other player lost the match, myskina didn't win it, etc." since she played the tourney, the results are valid

didn't see the match (thank God) but from all accounts it seems peng played well and deserved the win (and i don't care how the win occured) forget cuts, heat, wind, fire, snow, fatigue and so on, peng won the match and her supporters have every reason to be excited, congrats to her and to her real fans (not the bandwagon jumpers)

BUT, one result does not make a career. this result may be a fluke OR peng may turn out to be great in the long run and this might be looked at as the start, but you can't use just this fine result to proclaim her a top 10 player just yet (lets just wait before these grandiose claims are made)

Libertango
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Go Shuai!!!!!!!! :D :bounce:

She's been in good form for a while now, she had a good 2nd half of last year, and she started 2005 well in the qualies/1st round. Still, gotta be surprised by the result....:eek:

Nastya sometimes has these odd, disappointing results..I'm sure she'll be ready for the AO. Good luck Nastya! :)

jimmyc
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Well done Peng, truly deserved and certainly no fluke!

FrauleinSteffi
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Myskina has a long way to go before shes #1 or thinks she'll win any more Slams losing that badly to a qualifier oh my! I Think Maria or Davenport Or Momo will be #1 at years end:)

kyk710
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Congrats :) Great win!

Veritas
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Some of Myskina's errors were probably caused by Peng's depth and consistency.

Which is why errors are divided into categories, namely unforced and forced errors.

_LuCaS_
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Myskina has a long way to go before shes #1 or thinks she'll win any more Slams losing that badly to a qualifier oh my! I Think Maria or Davenport Or Momo will be #1 at years end:)
Oh my, Linz (#4) lost 62,06,36 to Schaul (# 63) in her road to the # 1 spot in 2004. Better relax and enjoy the WTA show (except the injuries), which is by far more interesting that ATP (where there are "machines" life Federer).
I trust Nastya to claim #1 spot eventually, she very ambitious.Good luck in AO girl.
:bounce:

lakeway11
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:17 PM
:clap2:

jimbo mack
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:43 PM
i had a feeling there was gonna be an upset

peng had thrashed everyone in qualifying and also her 1st round opponent before already playing myskina

myskina - so unpredictable lol

flyingmachine
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Peng defeats Myskina 6-1, 6-3!!!!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Experimentee
Jan 12th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Which is why errors are divided into categories, namely unforced and forced errors.

No I am not talking about forced errors, I mean when the opponent gets a lot of balls back and creates frustration, so the player goes for more and tries to finish the point quickly. That is still classed as an unforced error, but credit should be given to the opponent.
Anyway you are being ridiculous about Peng not deserving to win. When myskina beat Dulko, Dulko had about 35 UE's does that mean Myskina did nothing to win the match? It is still outplaying the opponent if you make less errors.

Veritas
Jan 12th, 2005, 11:50 PM
No I am not talking about forced errors, I mean when the opponent gets a lot of balls back and creates frustration, so the player goes for more and tries to finish the point quickly. That is still classed as an unforced error, but credit should be given to the opponent.
Anyway you are being ridiculous about Peng not deserving to win. When myskina beat Dulko, Dulko had about 35 UE's does that mean Myskina did nothing to win the match? It is still outplaying the opponent if you make less errors.

:lol: When did I say that Peng did "not" deserve "to win"? Yes I mentioned that Myskina "lost" it rather than Peng having 'won' it, but that doesn't mean Peng shouldn't walk away from the match and acknowledge herself as the better player out there that day. And besides, I thought I gave Peng enough credit in one of my posts, saying how her groudstrokes had caused Myskina a lot of problems. But I guess it's just not enough for some people...

Dawn Marie
Jan 13th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Oh Greenout shut up! I can enjoy seeing a young junior Chinese player beat Myskina and remark on it if I choose.

Are you a tool? I stated that I wished to see these Junior girls play so I can see them on TV.

Peng beat Myskina it is good for a junior's confidence.

Give her credit and stop trying to use The Vamp's injury or no injury as an excuse.

A junior beat the top ranked Russian now let tennis fans gloat.

Don't you now anything about sports? Sports fans talk smack and Gloat. Get used to it or leave this sports/tennis board.

I am a gloater.. so sue me.:)