PDA

View Full Version : Justine not in action before march

fleemkeł
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:23 PM
from www.henin-hardenne.be (http://www.henin-hardenne.be/)

It’s only a matter of weeks…

10/01/2005
Suffering from a knee injury, Justine has to postpone her comeback to the courts. She won’t be participating in the Australian tournaments this year, which was a slap in the face for the Belgian player, after a very tough year.

http://www.henin-hardenne.be/bin/newspics/pic015.jpg“I was feeling fit and really ready to play after all my problems last year. When the doctors told me that I had to rest, it was very hard for me to live with that. But if I would play, I could get a more serious injury which would last several months. Anyway, I need to be realistic, I wouldn’t be able to play a Grand Slam for two weeks, I can’t even train for a half an hour right now”, Justine explained last Saturday.

Despite everything, Justine remains optimistic, she has no other choice
« It’ very hard for me, because it’s the beginning of the season, but my tennis will come back, my physical shape too, but after all, it just are a couple of weeks », Justine added. “I will be very careful, I won’t push myself, I already have come a long way. It’ll take some time, but it’s only a matter of weeks.

Justine was in shape, that’s what Carlos Rodriguez and Pat Etcheberry told us. Even if her fears are not groundless, she’s still craving for victory and she will be happy to play in the best shape again. But we will have to be a little more patient. Once she will be back in Belgium (in the beginning of next week), Justine will consult the doctors to be absolutely sure about the diagnosis and she will take enough rest. After that, she will need to train again before taking part in the upcoming tournaments.

Drop in the WTA ranking ?
The WTA ranking is certainly not Justine’s main problem for the moment. But many of you wondered what the effects of the injury are on the ranking. We’ll take the opportunity to explain a little bit…

Justine, currently number eight, will lose 1286 points for not taking part in the Australian tournaments. Nevertheless, she will stay in the top 20. Her comeback depends on the injury, but if everything goes well, she’ll start training again in the beginning of February. She will certainly need some weeks of preparation to get back in shape and to find her rhythm back. Therefore, she’ll be out for at least two months.

Seeded n°1 in the protected ranking?
Injured players, who don’t play a single official match for 6 months, benefit from a rule which allows players to have a protected ranking when they make their comeback on the courts. As you know, the draws (http://www.henin-hardenne.be/bin/glossary_en.asp?lang=fr) of the tournaments are made up as such, that the best players (the players that are ranked the highest) can’t meet each other on the courts until a certain round of the tournament is reached. A player that benefits from a protected ranking, allows her to appear in an fictive equivalent of the ranking that she had in her last official match before she got ill or got an injury.

Justine’s last official match was on September 6, 2004 on the US Open. Back then, she still was the number one. When she doesn’t play before March 6, then she will have reached 6 months of absence and will be in a fictive ranking. As a result, she won’t have to play against the better ranked players (such as Davenport, Mauresmo and Myskina) in the first rounds, but she will be a seeded player (just like Davenport, Mauresmo and Myskina).

http://www.henin-hardenne.be/bin/newspics/pic009.jpgOnce again, we have to wait and see what the doctors say next week and keep up with her health condition. But we can already say that Justine won’t be back on the courts before the beginning of March (on hardcourt), maybe the beginning of April on clay. One thing is for sure, she now craves for victory, more than ever.

:sad:

Smackie
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:28 PM

It's very sad....

alfajeffster
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Oh POOOOH!!! I was so looking forward to seeing her play the Australian!

alwayshingis
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:33 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

JustineTime
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:55 PM
:bigcry: :crying2: :tears:

Jiminy Crickets, will Justine EVER make her comeback? :(

Justine will drop out of the Top 10 for the first time since she got there in 2001! :fiery:

stijntje
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:14 PM
what's up with Belgian tennis?!?!

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Spunky83
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I just tell myself to take a deeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breath and try not to burst out in tears.

This is awful, but well, if she doesn´t feel like playing, I guess we should respect this.

Come back strong AND healthy Justine!!!

bracey
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Fortunately, I think Justine is that good and that naturally gifted that she doesn't need to worry about ranking because it will invariably rise when she returns. I'm sad she won't be able to light up Melbourne and defend her crown. I'm also sad because she must be in pain.

Allez-H
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Well,I can only wish her a speedy recovery and hope that everything is going to be ok soon....that's how life works,you've got your ups and your downs :sad: Take care of yourself sweety :hug:

blumaroo
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Justine will be back with a bang. I bet she will win ROland Garros when she returns.

!<blocparty>!
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:24 PM
This is bad. She's missed from the tour enough as it is, along with Kim. Lets hope they'll both be back to their 2003 form by the French, if not wimbledon.

Spunky83
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:32 PM
So basically when she starts playing (whenever this will be), she won´t have any points to lose, but only to gain, so that´s at least a positive point.

!<blocparty>!
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:35 PM
So basically when she starts playing (whenever this will be), she won´t have any points to lose, but only to gain, so that´s at least a positive point.
Yeah thats what I was thinking, thats the only advantage of a long injury lay off really.

Do you know what happens to Olympic ranking points?

kiekeboe
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:35 PM
She did today some tests here in Belgium, more news will fellow within days.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Wise decision. She shouldn't aggravate her injury more. Once she's back on the courts, she'll instantly be the no. 1 feisty player we all know of.

Allez-H
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Good news people;After undergoing some medical test ,doctors have found out that Justine doesn't have a broken bone in her knee but only an infection at her tendon.She won't need any operation but she will get some injections.According to her doctor Serge Messens,she can start the competition in 3-6 weeks time and can already resume training next week.

Justine Henin minder lang gekwetst dan gevreesd
Goed nieuws voor 'Juju'.Justine Henin-Hardenne heeft geen klein scheurtje in de rechterknie, maar wel een peesontsteking. Door deze blessure moet ze drie tot zes weken aan de kant blijven, en geen twee maanden zoals eerst gevreesd.

De olympische kampioene had zaterdag nog gemeld dat ze niet zal deelnemen aan de Australian Open (17-30 januari) omdat ze een scheurtje in het bot zou hebben. Toen werd nog gevreesd voor een afwezigheid van twee maanden.

Maandag onderging onze landgenote medische testen in een ziekenhuis in Seraing. Daar bleek dat Henin-Hardenne een peesontsteking in de rechterknie heeft. Ze zal geen operatie moeten ondergaan, maar krijgt wel enkele inspuitingen om de pijn te bestrijden. Volgens de behandelende arts, Serge Messens, mag Henin volgende week opnieuw beginnen trainen, en in competitie treden binnen drie tot zes weken. (RKO/TSA, belga)
10/01/05 21u44

I just really hope this is for real :bounce:

bandabou
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:20 PM
so sad.....first the sisters now the Belgians...:sad:

Martian KC
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:24 PM
An infection of the tendons? How can it get infected?

I hope you a safe and speedy recovery, Justine!

lauryn
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure I think the correct translation is inflammation (not infection), so does she have tendonitis? :sad:

T-T
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:44 AM
I don't understand how she can receive a different diagnosis in Australia than in Belgium. Fracture or inflammation :confused:

SerialKiller#69
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:51 AM
An infection on the tendons?

tennnisfannn
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:01 AM
From seeing what happened to the williams, it seems logical to expect an injury when someone has been laid off for a while. The body cannot take an accelerated work out. I hope it will be different for kim, because it is a wrist injury, i am sure she can still run/cycle whatever to keep fit and the trainign won't be too tough on her body.
If we had read story of two dominant players getting injured at the same time, then the next duo rise to be dominant and then go away injured too at the same time, it would sure have sounded like a lot of fiction. Strange but bizarre what happened to the williams then the belgians. Tennis but be near dead in belgium esp after the high they went on 2003/4.
The good news about injuies is eventually players recover even those who seem so prone to them.

bigshow21
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:02 AM
This sucks seeing everyone injured!! :mad: Get well soon Justine!!

serenafan08
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:06 AM
You know, I think that this period of rest will really help Justine out. I can't imagine how drained she is - this whole virus/knee problem must have really taken a lot out of her!!! Hopefully, she'll recover fully and get back on the tour. It's not the same without her.

Junex
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Rest well Justine!

Marcus1979
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Poor Justine :sad:

Will she be out till Indian Wells.

Rub
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:37 AM
this is not gonna be a good year... kim withdrew... and now justine... this is unbelievable :sad:

maya
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:41 AM
:sad: Justine is missed :sad:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Seeded n°1 in the protected ranking?
Injured players, who don’t play a single official match for 6 months, benefit from a rule which allows players to have a protected ranking when they make their comeback on the courts. As you know, the draws (http://www.henin-hardenne.be/bin/glossary_en.asp?lang=fr) of the tournaments are made up as such, that the best players (the players that are ranked the highest) can’t meet each other on the courts until a certain round of the tournament is reached. A player that benefits from a protected ranking, allows her to appear in an fictive equivalent of the ranking that she had in her last official match before she got ill or got an injury.

Justine’s last official match was on September 6, 2004 on the US Open. Back then, she still was the number one. When she doesn’t play before March 6, then she will have reached 6 months of absence and will be in a fictive ranking. As a result, she won’t have to play against the better ranked players (such as Davenport, Mauresmo and Myskina) in the first rounds, but she will be a seeded player (just like Davenport, Mauresmo and Myskina). I could be wrong but I thought they calculated a protected ranking from the time when a players last points they earnt went on in which case it would be the rankings released after the US Open and I don't think JHH was number 1 then:confused: Not that I think she or Kim are going to need it, I think given time both will prove where they deserve to be:)

Martian Jeza
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:51 AM
The last 3 years she had an overaboundance of competition and training which can lead to tiredness and injuries... I think she should take a better training and competition schedule ( with more rest period ) to overcome that...

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I could be wrong but I thought they calculated a protected ranking from the time when a players last points they earnt went on in which case it would be the rankings released after the US Open and I don't think JHH was number 1 then:confused: Not that I think she or Kim are going to need it, I think given time both will prove where they deserve to be:)

Sorry you wrong again about info on JHH.

The official career stats are up on her site.

http://www.henin-hardenne.be/

loveactually
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM
bad news..

Greenout
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:25 AM
bad news..

No loveactually, actually good news. It's not a major injury,
Wisely had given herself the chance to get another opinion
on it back at home w/ a doctor who speaks her native language
and not someone who has a vested interest in her participation
in a tournament to fill out a draw.

pigam
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM
what is it
doctors in Australia :cuckoo:
or doctors in belgium :retard:
:confused: ??????

How can you have such different diagnoses?
I don't know anything about medical stuff, but surely, a microfracture of the BONE is something totally different that tendonitis (?) NO? :unsure:
pfff... just reast Justine!
And Justine fans, let us not get oversensitive an edgy... it doesn't help up :wavey:
allez :unsure: come on :sad:

Darop.
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I actually hate Justine (:o) but I must say, Aus Open isnt gonna be the same with out kim and Justine...

~|Naomi|~
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Sorry you wrong again about info on JHH.There is no need to be smug cause I honestly thought that Mauresmo was number 1 after the US Open and it seems that tenniscorner does as well because under Mauresmo's profile it says she got to number 1 on September 13, 2004 which was when the rankings were released with the addition of the 2004 US Open points. In which case if tenniscorner is correct I am not wrong about JHH again but rather the rule which is what I was asking about, I have not read the 2005 official rules but when I read the 2004 rules when Kim got injured that is how I interpreted the rule and I admit I may have done that wrong which is why I asked about it, I thought that the protected ranking was based upon the last ranking earnt by a player after their last earnt points went on, obviously I'm wrong but I never said I was right that is why I asked.

~|Naomi|~
Jan 13th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Sorry you wrong again about info on JHH.

The official career stats are up on her site.

http://www.henin-hardenne.be/ (http://www.henin-hardenne.be/)

Okay so I looked at that site and it says she was number 1 from November 10, 2003 to September 12 2004 in which case she wasn't number 1 after last year's US Open's points went on (which is what I said) and this is from the official rules, they are different to what her site says in that a special ranking is based on the ranking last held when you played a match, so that is why I asked.

e. A player's Special Ranking will be the ranking she earned

immediately after the points of the last Tournament

played has been added to the WTA Tour rankings.

(Cross-reference Processing of Rankings page 223)