PDA

View Full Version : Other than Steffi Graf

pinkfrog
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:33 PM
are there any other players who have won all 4 grand slams in one calender year?

tommystar
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Maurenn Connolly in 1953.
Margaret Court in 1970.

Venus_Serena
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:43 PM
and Venus in 2005:rolleyes: , ok, I'm dreaming!

alfajeffster
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Maurenn Connolly in 1953.
Margaret Court in 1970.
Don Budge did it first in 1938
Rod Laver did it twice- 1962 and 1969

^bibi^
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:34 PM
but steffi is the only one to have made the golden slam...

alfajeffster
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:09 PM
but steffi is the only one to have made the golden slam...
True, and it's a wonderful accomplishment, however, I think Budge, Laver, and Court were all capable of winning a gold medal in tennis at the olympics had they been able to- there was no tennis at the olympics when they played, and it only returned in 1984 as an exhibition sport, and 1988 was the first year it returned as an official medal sport.

DA FOREHAND
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:44 PM
How many won on four different surfaces? How many have the majority of thier slams on one surface Grass? How many won Grand Slams on just two diff. surfaces? How many came within a match of winning back to back Grand Slams?

How many have the initials S.G.?

Andy T
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:23 PM
It wasn't possible for anyone to win the slam on 4 different surfaces until 1988. Steffi got in there the very first year it was possible to do that - and the first time it was possible to win Olympic Gold and a slam.

Post-WWII, Maureen Connolly won 9 majors without defeat: the 1951 US, then 6 in a row from Wimbledon 1952 through the US Championships 1953 and then, after not playing the Australian in 1954, she won the French and Wimbledon, every grand slam she entered from September 1951 to July 1954! Steffi's 8/9 from Oz 88-Oz 90 (one f loss to ASV at RG) and Margaret Court's 8/9 from Oz 69-Oz 71 (one sf loss to Ann Jones at Wimbledon) are next best. Monica's 7/9 from US 90 -Oz 93, Martina's 7/9 from Wimb 83-Wimb 85 (losses to Sukova in sf Oz 84 and Evert at RG 85) and BJK's 7/9 with only two losses in 9 majors between US71 and Wimb 75 (to Heldman at the US in 73 and to Morozova at Wimb in 74) are just behind. Chrissie's best stats are 6/9 - same as Serena's.

The same few names are all up there once again.

Lemonskin.
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Two AUSSIES: Margaret Court and Rod Laver :bowdown:

Julia1968
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:30 PM
It wasn't possible for anyone to win the slam on 4 different surfaces until 1988. Steffi got in there the very first year it was possible to do that - and the first time it was possible to win Olympic Gold and a slam.

To my knowledge, it wasn't until 1978 that it was possible to win the illustrious Grand Slam on THREE different surfaces (Grass, Clay and Hardcourt), when the US Open was played on Hardcourt for the first time.

What is the fourth surface???? Indoor??? If you think that closing that retractible roof in Australia in the 1988 Australian Open final (Graf vs Evert), they were still playing on a hardcourt surface.

Andy T
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Fair point Julia. No I wasn't thinking about the roof question at all. Many people seem to differentiate between the DecoturfII used at the US and rebound ace used in Oz (including da forehand, whose post I was answering) but you can argue that even if the surfaces are slightly different, they are still both hardcourts. Has anyone out there actually played on both surfaces: what are the main differences (if any)?

alfajeffster
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:57 PM
To my knowledge, it wasn't until 1978 that it was possible to win the illustrious Grand Slam on THREE different surfaces (Grass, Clay and Hardcourt), when the US Open was played on Hardcourt for the first time.

What is the fourth surface???? Indoor??? If you think that closing that retractible roof in Australia in the 1988 Australian Open final (Graf vs Evert), they were still playing on a hardcourt surface.
Another little tid-bit of tennis history that is often overlooked is the period between 1975-1977, when the U.S. Open was played on har-tru, or American green clay, which is markedly different that European red clay (it generally plays a little faster, and is much tackier under foot than crushed brick). Technically, the majors were played on three different surfaces during this time frame.