PDA

View Full Version : Why no WTA tournament for Serbia-Montenegro?

**Jelica**
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I was just wondering, why is it that there is no WTA tournament in Serbia-Montenegro? :confused: I never really thought about this much before, but I just thought of it today, and then I was really confused as to why there is not one. If you think about it, there are great players from Serbia (Ivanovic, Jankovic) and also Dokic, who is not doing so great atm, but was formerly ranked number 4. Also, Belgrade would be a great place to have a tennis tournament, cos it's got a great history of sport (football, basketball etc) and I think alot of people would go to spectate if such a tournament existed.

I wonder why there isn't one? Cos I think it would be really good, does anyone agree?

jonny84
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Totally agree with you on this one - but it can be argued that there isnt enough room on the calender which is full enough as it is.

It is weird that some countries hold events where they dont have a top player in the Top100 for example Stockholm.

You can also argue though that other countries have top players and they dont have a big tennis event. For example Argentina (which has Paola Suarez and Gisela Dulko), Bulgaria (big star Maggie Maleeva and up-coming Sesil Katatanchecva). Croatia, Slovakia and Greece dont have one either.

©@®eLess
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:03 PM
well at least we got 25k last year, we didn't even have challengers in 2003 and 2002, but with Belgrade Arena and 22.000 seats, we just have to wait our FED Cup team to be really good in 3 years and then we could maybe organize the finals ;)

croat123
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:29 PM
i think croatia doesn't even have a women's 25K :fiery:

altho, there was one year when we had two tour level tournaments

^bibi^
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM
You used to have Bol.. why didi it stop ?

croat123
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:38 PM
no money :fiery:

one year (1998?) we had bol and makarska :yeah: (but makarska was officially the weakest tournament ever). if i remember correctly, hrdlikova def. fan li in the final lol

come to think of it, i just remember that ITF Makarska is being upgraded to either a 50K or a 75K

anthonyqld
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:22 PM
It is weird that some countries hold events where they dont have a top player in the Top100 for example Stockholm.

Stockholm is in Sweden, and there are Swedes in the top 100

Mattographer
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:04 PM
The simple answer is $$$ :)

blablabla
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM
The challengers are very well attended so I imagine BGers would come in droves to see Ana, Jankovic and Lukic play a tournament on home turf but like Alex says these things cost money. Without a major sponsor it would be impossible and that's the job of the federation which doesn't appear to be competent in things like this to be honest. Give 'em a chance and lets see what happens in a couple of years time.

jonny84
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Stockholm is in Sweden, and there are Swedes in the top 100

Highest Sweede is Hanna Nonni at #189