PDA

View Full Version : Players who would achieve loads more with their bad serves fixed?

Doraemon
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:59 AM
OK a lot of women's players have been held back by their bad serves. I'd like to discuss how much more they could ( or could have achieved ) achieve in their careers with a better serve.
Let me list some of the prime examples.

Amy Frazier: she would have cracked the top 10 and her GS record would have been a lot greater. Of course choking is another big issue of hers.

Elena Demented: Obviously her serve is the worst in the top 10 or even in the top 20. I have no doubt she would win a major if she could fix her crap serve.

Gaby Sabatini: she would have won loads more GS titles without the shaky second serve. She would do everything else just great.

Kimiko Date: she would have won a major for sure. She hit way too many dfs.

Venus Williams: don't think she would fair too much better. Her second serve's problem is really overrated. I wouldn't call it a problem!

Ai Sugiyama: See Kimiko's.

Martina Hingis: She would have more than 10 GS titles under the belt by now.

Anna Kournikova: She wouldn't have become as famous as she is.

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I think Jennifer Capriati could of done more with a better serve.

What about Kapros.

she basically has no serve

stijntje
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Dominique Van Roost didn't have a great serve too...

But she had some nice flat ground strokes...

icequeen
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Venus is doing just fine. Her name should not be on that list. Four GS and over 30 singles trophies you could not want anything better than that.

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:07 PM
If Hingis had a bigger serve it wouldn't of been the same.

or other aspects of her game could of gotten worse.

i.e

Percentage tennis

frenchie
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Anastasia Myskina has an irregular first serve and a poor second serve but the rest of her game is very solid. With a decent serve she could be even more dangerous on hard or grass

John.
Feb 9th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Elena Dementieva desperately needs to get her serve fixed.

Sabatini would defo won more slams had her serve been more powerful

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 9th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Dementieva is the most likely candidate. I also think Elena Daniilidou, and Myskina.

Grachka
Feb 9th, 2005, 06:14 AM
If any of the top Japanese players could get a bit more oomph on their serves, without affecting the rest of their games, they could be at or near the position of the Russians now. Ai, Shino, Akiko and Saori are all talented enough if their serves had a bit more bite.

Marcus1979
Feb 9th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Dementieva is the most likely candidate. I also think Elena Daniilidou, and Myskina.

Ever seen Myskina's 2nd serve I would be stretching it if I said it went 70 mph

:tape:

Prizeidiot
Feb 9th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Obviously Elena needs a better serve, big time.

I'm not so sure a bigger serve would've hindered the percentage aspect of Martina Hingis' game. She wasn't a big player, but she still could've had a decent serve with better technique. I think her style would've been altered if she was bigger, not if her serve technique was better.

Danilidou has a decent game barring a terrible serve. It's a weird motion and she double faults a lot, and always by a big margin.

oddkayla
Feb 9th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Venus does not necessarily need to fix her serve. She does not lose matches because of that serve, she loses matches because of that forehand!

On the other hand, with her groundstrokes, DEmentieva would have a slam by now if she had a serve. I was watching tennis with someone who does not know much about tennis. Dementieva was serving and she asked "What is she doing?"

Myskina's serve is not good either. She is going to have to work at it if she ever hopes to stay a top player

Martina would have won so much if she had learnt how to serve. Apparently when she was little, her mother did not let her serve that much to avoid injuries. Unfortunately as she got stronger, that part of her game was greatly ignored. Her problems had nothing to do with her size.

skanky~skanketta
Feb 9th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Gabby Sabatini.. her rserve was horrendous, unlike the rest of her game.

JohnBoy
Feb 9th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Daniilidou, such a wasted talent due to a crap serve !!!

Lemonskin.
Feb 9th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Kapros would do better to THROW the ball into play, if that were within the rules ;)

Pamela Shriver
Feb 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Armed with a leathal ping pong serve I couldve taken over the world! BWahahahaa.