PDA

View Full Version : Johanna Griggs

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:47 AM
In my opinion, she doesn't present the Medibank International well at all. She doesn't know a thing about tennis, and always looks down to check her paper so see what the players names are :lol: This morning she had a bad cough, which isn't exactly professional when reading out results ;) :lol:

I find her annoying, but she's back for another year :scared:

What do you guys reckon? :wavey:

DutchieGirl
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Actually, they have been doing the presentation weird this year, usually when they are giving the draw, or the scores, they put them up on the screen, and don't show the presenter reading their paper! :lol: Johanna's been doing the tennis for a couple of years no, and me and my friend saw her at the AO last year. I don't think she's that bad!

Princess Sarah.
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Johanna Griggs is cool i like her!

go hingis
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:58 AM
I think she's got a lovely fresh face but yeah totally agree she doesn't know anything about tennis and years later her knowledge hasn't improved one bit. Same as the other show she hosts auction squad, she's just the face but has no idea about anything else, and when giving interviews to players or people on auction squad it deffinately looks like she's only saying what's written. She never really seems interested but she's always got a big smile on her face like she's ready to laugh and ready to cut the person off to say her next line.

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:59 AM
remember one year she said "Amanda Stevenson" :haha:

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Karen Tighe who did the Hopman Cup was excellent, particularly in the interviews. :yeah:

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Johanna Griggs

http://www.sevencorporate.com.au/uploads/images/1063862448640_0.8896541987915286.jpg

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:05 AM
oh god it looks like the Maleeva-Ferguson match is over, now we cross back to Johanna to hear her pronounce some more :D :p

Huntress555
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Shes an alrite presenter, I dont like her that much though, but shes doing ok!

switz
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Karen Tighe who did the Hopman Cup was excellent, particularly in the interviews. :yeah:

karen tighe is actually a journalist whereas griggs is just an ex-swimmer who's the face of channel 7.

i think she actually does have a speech impediment though and that's why she often stubbles over sentences and names. she is much better when she just speaks and doesn't try and read auto-text etc. there are better people but i would say she has at least improved.

Lemonskin.
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:26 AM
She's better than that wierd woman that presented Hopman Cup :unsure:

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:28 AM
that "weird woman" was in fact, not weird :p her name is Karen Tighe and she's much better than Johanna!

switz
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:29 AM
She's better than that wierd woman that presented Hopman Cup :unsure:

karen tighe is one of the countries most respected sports journalists and IMO is infinitely better than griggs who is just so channel 7 it is not funny.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:35 AM
She's really beefed up her tan. Now she doesn't look half bad.

:haha: @ Amanda Stevenson.

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:35 AM
well said switz :lol:

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:40 AM
I like her Jo.

In a few days i won't when she comes on at 11 am and gets excited about switching to Kooyong like she does every year when that exhibition starts

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lemonskin.
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:42 AM
karen tighe is one of the countries most respected sports journalists and IMO is infinitely better than griggs who is just so channel 7 it is not funny.
Well I don't particularly like Karen OR Johanna.

Too bad it's not Channel 9. I like the Ken Sutcliffe/Tim Sheridan combo :D

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Maybe she should just go watch the men then :p :lol:

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:43 AM

Karen Tighe is not perfect however.

When she talks of stats with the players she gets it all wrong like H2H records she said such and such have improved their H2H record.

But the Hopnman Cup does nbot alter a players H2H at all. It is not included in their H2H record.

and when she says other stastical info she is wrong more often than right.

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:45 AM
well Karen knows way more about tennis than Johanna :p :lol:

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:47 AM
well Karen knows way more about tennis than Johanna :p :lol:

Thats true.

I just meant she still gives us info that is wrong.

but then again what commentators don't give incorrect info.

But Jo is nice to look at however

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:51 AM
i dont know his name, but there was this commentator, i think he is originially from Rugby Union and he was commentating the schynder - stosur final in GC. Not only did he pronounce Schnyder differently several times, he often got the score wrong and mumbled. :haha:

Lemonskin.
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Ennyway, Kenny Sutcliffe and Timmy Sheridan Channel 9 Supercombo kills Johanna and Karen :cool:

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:07 AM
I like Tim Sheridens features.

I don't like Bruce from channel 7 he really pees me off

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:49 AM
i dont know his name, but there was this commentator, i think he is originially from Rugby Union and he was commentating the schynder - stosur final in GC. Not only did he pronounce Schnyder differently several times, he often got the score wrong and mumbled. :haha:
Gordan Bray :p

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:50 AM
yes, Gordan that's it :haha:

Purple_Llama
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:54 AM
:lol: @ her coughing fit. I noticed that today too! I think she resembles a deer trapped in headlights personally,but I think she would be a nice girl.
I too liked Karen Thighe,& wish that the Oz Open would find someone like that to present the open every year instead of Bruce & Sandy :rolleyes:

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM
do u guys object to the way Jo presents Sportsworld.

btw do u like Kylie Gillies who gives the results and news during the Australian Open.

Purple_Llama
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:01 AM
I havent watched Sportsworld in awhile so I can't say but I do think Kylie Gillies is alright. Speaking of I wish they'd lengthen the news segment ;)

Andy.
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:05 AM
I really like Kerran Prat she is awesome when she used to ream with tony treybat they were a good team on chanel nine.

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Kylie Gillis is the only one i like.

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Kylie Gillis is the only one i like.

She knows her tennis stuff.

She reports the Tennis results on Sportsworld every Sunday Morning.

Can't wait for it to return.

Lemonskin.
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I really like Kerran Prat she is awesome when she used to ream with tony treybat they were a good team on chanel nine.
Yeah Kerryn Pratt and Tony Trabert were my favourite commentary partnership of all time. It's such a shame Tony retired :sad:

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Yeah Kerryn Pratt and Tony Trabert were my favourite commentary partnership of all time. It's such a shame Tony retired :sad:

Wimbledon on 9 won't be the same

:sad: :sad: :sad:

xr6turbo
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:06 AM
:lol: Karen rocks.. We could see into the booth from where we were sitting at the Hopman Cup and she was using this can of hair spray like it was going out of fashion. I mean she could have walked out in a hurricane and her hair wouldnt have moved at all. :haha:

slice
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM
she's alright but she used to be a pro-swimmer so i dont know how she came to be a tennis presenter :confused:

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:06 PM
:lol: Karen rocks.. We could see into the booth from where we were sitting at the Hopman Cup and she was using this can of hair spray like it was going out of fashion. I mean she could have walked out in a hurricane and her hair wouldnt have moved at all. :haha:

Are u being series or sarcastic ;)

Mr_Molik
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM
louise pleming is the best aussie female commentator by far.

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:25 PM

:confused:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 10th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Speaking of commentators, I'm surprised Nine hasn't hired Eddie McGuire. Heck, he does everything else. :p

I like Kylie Gilles, she would do a good job of hosting the Australian Open.

Experimentee
Jan 10th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Johanna is a good presenter, I like how she always smiles and is enthusiastic. She doesnt know much about tennis, but then most presenters dont. Even some commentators make mistakes all the time.
I'd say Gordon Bray is the worst in terms of tennis knowledge. I remember when he presented RG when channel 7 had coverage of it, he made at least 2 mistakes every day, most of the time more than that, and he wasnt even on air for that long!

Fantastic
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Actually, the Hopman Cup does count towards a player's H2H record. Check the ITF player activity of any player who's played the tournament. It's been counted since the tournament was ITF-sanctioned.

Johanna Griggs was hired by Channel 7 at the last minute to present the tennis in 1994. They needed someone who could present during the day. They had someone else in mind, but that person suddenly had other commitments come up. Someone heard that Johanna was looking for a career on television and quickly rang her up to see if she would be interested in the hosting job. Without any experience behind her, Johanna was thrusted in front of the cameras, which was a huge gamble for the Channel 7 producers. However, the reception that Johanna received from ratings and from comments the producers received from every day people were so good that her contract with Channel 7's coverage of tennis was extended for another year. From there, Johanna landed many hosting jobs and was also hired by other networks for various other programs. She was lured back to Channel 7 by the promise of a more versatile role on the network. She hosts Sportsworld, hosts the tennis coverage during January, is on Auction Squad and was also an anchor for the recent Athens Olympics.

Personally, I think her looks got her the job and because she is quite sunny and cheerful, people tend to forget about her mistakes or stutters, because, in the end, she's just the face to greet you at the door, like a maitre'd or the receptionist at an office building. Johanna's role largely depends on her looks. It really doesn't matter how good she is at it, as long as she's pleasant and can cross seamlessly from one segment to another without much difficulty. I think she's managed to do that.

Don't forget, Johanna is also a single mother raising two kids. She's from Sydney but spends most of her time in Melbourne with all her work for Channel 7. It's not easy for her to be in two places and separated from her kids for long periods of time, but she's successfully found a way to manage everything and raise her kids at the same time. She's doing the job for them and I think she can be forgiven for the odd stutter, mispronunciation, or slight lack of tennis knowledge. She does work hard at researching everything she does, so she does make an effort to please us.

DutchieGirl
Jan 14th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Karen Tighe is not perfect however.

When she talks of stats with the players she gets it all wrong like H2H records she said such and such have improved their H2H record.

But the Hopnman Cup does nbot alter a players H2H at all. It is not included in their H2H record.

and when she says other stastical info she is wrong more often than right.
Actually, you are wrong! Hopman Cup DOES count on your H2H - you just don't get points for beating players!

But of course, no one's perfect. Karen does a good job though!

Vicky88
Jan 14th, 2005, 09:13 AM
As a presenter I don't mind her on Hot Auctions, however when it comes to sports she is quite hopeless. She is obviously the chosen pretty face for Channel 7 and whenever there is a job that requires a pretty face without any real knowledge Jo's your girl. She is also the new presenter on Better Homes and Gardens

Don't forget, Johanna is also a single mother raising two kids. She's from Sydney but spends most of her time in Melbourne with all her work for Channel 7. It's not easy for her to be in two places and separated from her kids for long periods of time, but she's successfully found a way to manage everything and raise her kids at the same time. She's doing the job for them and I think she can be forgiven for the odd stutter, mispronunciation, or slight lack of tennis knowledge. She does work hard at researching everything she does, so she does make an effort to please us.
Personally I couldn't care less about her being a single mother, it's how she does the job that counts. I find it hard to sympathise with her in view of the money she must be pulling in and not having any really qualifications besides being a pretty face. When I watch tennis it is nice to have someone commentating who can at least pronounce the names correctly.

Fantastic
Jan 14th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Personally I couldn't care less about her being a single mother, it's how she does the job that counts. I find it hard to sympathise with her in view of the money she must be pulling in and not having any really qualifications besides being a pretty face. When I watch tennis it is nice to have someone commentating who can at least pronounce the names correctly.

Firstly, Johanna's not a commentator, and secondly, her background is what makes her human and gives viewer's someone they can relate to on some level. If she was just a model, it'd be different, but Johanna is a former athlete and knows a thing or two about sport. She does and can relate to the dedication and hours that the tennis players put into their careers.

I personally think that Johanna does a fine job of hosting. She does not distract from the main attraction. The tennis is the selling point, not her. Johanna's main job is to cross seamlessly from one point to another. She's improved a lot since 1994 and viewers obviously like her otherwise producers wouldn't still be allowing her to be doing the job ten years later.

However, I think that Bruce McAvaney does distract from the tennis, but not in a bad way. His facts and figures are great, but he's gotten a little too "special" (read: perverted-looking) for TV.

What's wrong with being a pretty face? Viewers want to see 'pretty'. Johanna's not a commentator. She's like the viewer's tour guide. All she really needs to do is lead you to the main attraction - the tennis - and she does a fine job of it.

Prizeidiot
Jan 15th, 2005, 06:21 AM
My favourite commentator on seven has to be McEnroe... but he's not doing it this year at the Open... the current channel seven commentators are rubbish. Except Pam Shriver... she's gun. But most of the rest either know nothing about tennis, or are the most biased commentators towards Aussie players I have ever heard.

gsm
Jan 15th, 2005, 06:55 AM
ch 7 make me cringe/shiver , who is that whiny guy who commentates on seven as a stand in , he has been there all week commentating on the lessor matches or non australian matches. every year i hope he is gone. but no still there , pissing me off. his voice is soooo snobish , you guys know who i mean!!!

and i think karen is better than jo any day.

Marcus1979
Jan 15th, 2005, 06:59 AM
My favourite commentator on seven has to be McEnroe... but he's not doing it this year at the Open... the current channel seven commentators are rubbish. Except Pam Shriver... she's gun. But most of the rest either know nothing about tennis, or are the most biased commentators towards Aussie players I have ever heard.

Pam hasn't commentated for a few years now.

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Listen to Patrick Rafter, Rachel McQuillan and Sandon Stolle to see if they're good or not on Fox Sports :p

Marcus1979
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Listen to Patrick Rafter, Rachel McQuillan and Sandon Stolle to see if they're good or not on Fox Sports :p

So they just commentate on Fox.

WHo commentates on Seven then.

I have heard Martina Navratilova will be.

Purple_Llama
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Martina commentated on todays match & Jo Griggs said she would be at the Oz Open as well. With Courier & Rafter :)
I still miss Pam Shriver as I thought she did an excellent job with Ch7,but she now only commentates for ESPN & occasionally in Syd.

DutchieGirl
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:34 AM
ugh you know who really annoys me as a commentator? Gary Wilkinson! I swear he knows like nothing about womens tennis and can't even say half of their name right, yet he pretends to know everything about women's tennis! That REALLY bugs me! I like Marti Nav's commentating though! :D

gossipcom
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:35 AM
lol I want to see Stolle commentate a Molik match to see if there's any preference there :)

Shriver had a baby hence why she hasn't been commentating lately :)

Aussies can see much more of Johanna this year as soon as her tennis commitments are over (which she hasn't done a bad job at) she'll be the host of BH&G this year :)

switz
Jan 15th, 2005, 09:39 AM

that's quite an insulting thing to say. she stumbles every ten seconds

switz
Jan 15th, 2005, 09:45 AM
johanna griggs' children do have a father - gary sweet. she gets paid like 1 million a year so i don't really feel sorry for her. she has improved - i'll give her that - but that's not to say she's good. she gets very uncomfortable when she does interviews and people joke around etc.

she called federer - roder federer today. hahah

nitocris_tiger
Jan 15th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Griggs is not the best but she's not the worst and I think Karen Tighe is pretty good as she's got a good knowledge and can string a sentence together including doing interviews.

The worst by FAR is Gordon Bray. I first saw him presenting (not commentating) the Davis Cup vs Argentina 1r 2002 and he was an embarrasment to himself and the network. All he has to do is read stuff out and he couldn't even do that without stumbling and mispronouncing names etc. I just can't believe he's still doing tennis and now he's commentating matches! He knows NOTHING about the tour, players, tournaments, anything!

And don't start me on Craig "schlonger" Willis. That dirty fat shit's got his head so far up his arse.