PDA

View Full Version : Asa Svensson says goodbye to professional tennis (confirmed by her already)

Alek
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Åsa Svensson will be coaching Johanna Larsson, Nadja Roma, Michaela Johansson, Sousan Massi & Mari Andersson. She's now working for Swedish Tennis Federation. Seems she won't be playing any pro tournaments again. Still will get hopefully a confirmation from her tomorrow :) or at least from Swedish Tennis Fed... might only play some little events but still seems things won't be the same :)

edited: confirmation in a post made by me in the bottom. By her :)

http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos/150x200/30227.jpg

I have been a fan not since much time ago. I remember following Amelia Island 2000 and seeing how defending runner-up Dragomir-Ilie would lose to someone called "Asa Carlsson" 4-6 6-4 7-5. and me like :confused:. Then giving scores of her match in Antwerp against Sonya Jeyaseelan, were she barely won. Madrid quarterfinals after beating very easily Maureen drake and losing to Zuluaga in QF. And Roland Garros, when she beat Iva Majoli 7-6 1-6 6-1, me wanting Iva to win, and 3-6 6-4 7-5 over Testud, me wanting Testud to win, but losing to Pierce 6-2 6-1.

Then it would come Wimbledon, first time I could see her on t.v. losing to Serena Williams 6-3 6-2 with an eternal deuce game in the very first game of the match. Svensson fighting every point but Serena just too good.

I remember a sad and VERY easy loss to Rubin 6-2 6-2 in US Open and then I would create a website for her. The moronic SWEDISH STUPID TENNIS PEOPLE NOT LETTING HER PLAY OLYMPICS :fiery: Ranked 32

A great Filderstadt that year beating Farina & Serna and reaching the second round were I believe "Jorn" would post a livescore thread named "Dominique vs. Asa C - scores" I remember getting mad on why not put simply "Dominique vs. Asa - scores" ;) Asa was up 3-0 and point for 4-0 but lost 6-3 6-1.

The sadness of not been able to win again Kuala Lumpur and losing in r2 to Nagyova that year... and next week losing sadly to Cho in Pattaya.

2001 and her very long losing streak that would end in Palm Beach Gardens challenger losing to Nagyova again. Then qualifying for WTA events and losing in 3 sets in main draws to Likhovtseva & Schett. A second round in Roland Garros losing to Schett again in 3 sets. And remember my tears after her loss to Sfar in r1 of WImbledon 6-7 6-3 6-4.

A semifinal in Palermo losing to Medina, the Fed Cup perfect record that year giving Sweden a spot in World Group. Qualifier in New Haven playing great tennis. And a good US Open, me coming back from school only to see that she was losing to Shaughnessy, only following 5 minutes of the match as I had to return quick before recess would end. Match would end 6-7 3-6.. followed by a retirement in doubles, her first retirement in ANY match she had played in WTA.

My wake ups at 4am to follow Asa in the indoor events, her win over Cara Black 6-4 3-6 6-4 so tough! but then her loss to Sucha 6-0 6-1. Her hard fought loses to Hantuchova next.

Getting her e-mail in 2002 and she answering so sweet as always :D

The change from Carlsson to Svensson

Her nice Australian Open, her win over Conchita Martinez, her almost comeback against Martina Sucha in the third round.

One of my happiest days of my life, May 5th, my birthday, waking up at 6am to follow the Bol Croatian Ladies Open final, Svensson vs. Majoli. Her last singles title, Svensson won 6-3 4-6 6-1. The perfect birthday gift. :D

Her injury at Rome :sad: Her r2 exit in Roland Garros :sad:

The so GREAT tie of Sweden vs. Switzerland, finishing with a exciting doubles match with Sofia Arvidsson and making Sweden to stay again in world group for Fed Cup. Her sad QF loss in Helsinki :sad: And a terrible end of the year losing lot of r1's and getting only 2 wins.

2003, her bad start of season :sad: but her win over Diaz-Oliva in Bogota. A doubles title in Bogota :D.. my madness on her r1 loss to Muller in Acapulco, but the comfort of seeing her winning in my country, LOIT/SVENSSON Acapulco 2003 champions :D her loss to Callens after missing so much opportunities... her good Miami :D, her injury against Craybas, the acquiles thing...

Her comeback in november :D her bad draws :( her title in Nottingham with Helena Ejeson :)

2004 start, her sickness and not playing Auckland singles :( her great Sydney :D :D her loss to Rubin in 3 tight sets in Aussie Open. The third set in t.v. :) the fabulous fighter & her lovely backhand.

Her indoor USA season, her Memphis and Midland doubles titles :) Her QF in St. Paul :D her injuries back :sad: her bad Miami & Estoril :sad:

Her comeback again :) some good results :) Her Fr loss in Darmstadt $25,000 :sad: her SO SAD exit in Stockholm & US Open :sad: and the next is history...

Asa will probably do great in her new career now as a coach and helping new Swedish hopes, she's a nice lady and always a real pro player. Wish you the best Asa, I'm sure you'll succeed as always and :kiss:

So strange now without my all time faves, Schultz-McCarthy, Gavaldon, J. Fernandez, Huber, Coetzer now Asa. Maybe soon Monica... Schett... Even though Arvidsson & Nooni are good they don't have that extra spice that Asa had ;) maybe Maria W can help. Anyways, hope to confirm this news tomorrow :) but seems very confirmed anyways.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS SINGLES
Winner (2 WTA): 2002 - Bol; 1999 - Kuala Lumpur; 1995 - ITF/Stockholm-SWE; 1992 - ITF/Helsinki-FIN; 1991 - ITF/Ljusdals-SWE.
Finalist (2): 1995 - Houston; 1994 - Prague.
Semifinalist (5): 2001 - Palermo; 1997 - Rosmalen; 1996 - Essen; 1995 - Bournemouth; 1994 - Houston.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS DOUBLES
Winner (7 WTA): 2004-ITF/Midland w/Arvidsson, Memphis w/Tu; 2003-Bogota w/Srebotnik, Acapulco w/Loit, ITF/Nottingham w/Ejeson; 2001 - Casablanca w/Bacheva, Pattaya w/Tulyaganova;
2000 - Hannover w/Zvereva; 1999 - ITF/Dubai w/Courtois, ITF/Bordeaux w/Loit, ITF/Poitiers w/Loit, Pattaya w/Loit; 1992 - ITF/Helsinki w/Vallin
Finalist (9): 2002 - Gold Coast w/Oremans, Amelia Island w/Salerni; 2001 - Dubai w/Habsudova; 2000 - Paris Indoors w/Loit, Sopot w/Grande; 1999 - Palermo w/Jeyaseelan; 1998 - Sopot w/Noorlander, Istanbul w/Labat; 1994 - Linz w/Schneider.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS MIX DOUBLES
Quarterfinalist (3): 2004 - US Open (w/Bjorkman); 2002 - Wimbledon (w/Landsberg); 2000 - US Open (w/Kulti).

High career ranking in singles and doubles #28 :D

Best win over ranked player, #11 Testud at RG 2000.

Scotso
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I'm so sorry Alek :hug:

Randy H
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Asa :sad:

Really sad that it seems she will retire, I would have liked her to continue longer of course, but this seems like a good job, and I think it shows that the Swedish Tennis Federation must have a lot of belief in Asa in order to put her in this job of helping out future Swedish girls to have some of the success Asa has experienced through the years :)

I have some nice memories of Asa through the years and I will definitely miss her! It is too bad that she had to deal with so much injuries at the end of her career, but I think she has a lot to look forward to in the future with her new career and also more time to relax and enjoy marriage :)

Lee-Waters' Boy
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:45 PM
asa :sad: i will miss her

Alberto
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:45 PM
bye Asa, good luck :)

sorry Alek :kiss:

Scotso
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I remember following that Bol match with you ;)

Kuti Kis&Monica
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Asa :sad: :sad:

Hayato
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Asa :bigcry:

I think Rossana is following in her footsteps- i know how you feel Alek :hug:

PatM04
Asa is such a talent...good luck to her in all she does:)

TheBoiledEgg
Asa :sad: :sobbing: sad way to go :(

wish her well in her new job :)
hope to see her again with a Swedish whizkid on tour sometime :)

Philip
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Asa :) I'm glad you'll be staying with tennis, even though you are finishing your tennis career. I too have followed Asa, indirectly, through a friend ;) and it is sad that you are not going to be playing again. Im sure you will have great happiness, and all the best for the future.

Alx.. :hug:

spencercarlos
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:05 PM
It`s very sad to hear this news Alx, but a proffesional athlete carreer ends before we are about to enjoy them. I was also proud to get the last 4 years of Sabatini, same as you. I had no internet then and we kind of never get this results that early, i remmember i always had to wait for the next day to get newspaper with scores and updated rankings LOL. But back to this topic you must be really proud of a good player who gave her best effort and was successful on what she did, she was really talented was great in doubles too. It`s tough after your fave retires, i mean at least on my case i have found no player beside Gaby to motivate me to do a lot of things. I still have my tapes and the memories and the satisfaction of having followed someone who made my life happy and that never dissapointed me.
Hugs
:cry: Asa :kiss: Good Luck in this new step in your life!

Monica_Rules
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Goodbye Asa:)

DevilishAttitude
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Asa never really recovered after the injury in 2003. Seemed like she was back on form after Sydney and Aussie Open but went downhill again. Last match losing in straights to Maria Fernanda Alves :(

Good Luck in Future :wavey: ;)

TatiAnnahølic
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:09 PM
you'll be missed Asa :sad::kiss:

martinafan
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:11 PM
What a very emotional post from you Alek...so sorry to see asa retiring already..i was actually really looking forward to seeing her in australia!!!! and sydney quallies!

Asa :sad:...one of my faves retiring :(

crazillo
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:14 PM

I liked her, although I never noticed her too much, but whenever I saw her name in the draw I had a smile on my lips. :)

Grachka
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Asa :bigcry: :sad:

I will miss her! I'm so sorry Alek, but please continue posting in the Swedish Tennis thread, with Asa stories....

Good luck Asa!

*roddicksinme*
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:38 PM

stijntje
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:42 PM
have a great life Asa!

we'll miss you...

Alek
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Hasta lucita estubo aki :p

polishprodigy
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:54 PM

I never knew who you were, and once Alek started talking non stop about you when I started talking to him, I followed your results more closely and cheered you on from behind the scenes. You will be missed.

But re-iterating what Randy H said, Sweden must really think you are wonderful (which Im sure you are) as they are confident you will boost their female tennis program (which needs some work in comparison to the mens).

jimbo mack
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:58 PM
bye asa :sad:

will miss seeing your name on draw sheets!

will always remember your big wins over sabatini at the us open 1996 and over testud at the french 2000!

:wavey:

Hagar
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Hey Alek, I appreciate very much that you are a true fan of your fave... in bad and good times. Not obvious when your fave is not the number one but one of those players who hangs in and wins some and loses some...
Yes, it sucks when your fave retires. I felt the way you feel now end of 2000 when Dominique Van Roost retired.
Hang on, keep following the lovely sport of tennis, some day a new fave will come along.

Nacho
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:21 PM
farewell Asa! :)

Hantuchov
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Asa :bigcry: :sad: :sobbing:

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I liked Asa, lots of attitude and determination, will be sad to see her go.

Becool
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:44 AM
That's sad :sad:
I saw her match against Serena in Wimbledon, and it was much tougher than what the scorelines say..
I'm shocked to hear this.. I thought she had much more time on tour :(:(:( I'm wrong..
I'll miss you Asa! Never forget also following that Bol title, and also your title with Iroda in Pattaya :) :)

Good luck now being a coach! :)

salima
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:18 AM
I believe Åsa has taken the right decission. Her injuries has made her unable to reach her top level of playing. Sweden is now for the first time taken a serious grip to lift their tennis women up to a higher level, and Åsa will be an important part of the operation.

I would not say her carrier ends now, it is time for the new carrier to start:)

Sa sa sa
Bra bra bra
Åsa Åsa Åsa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Je_ne_sais_quoi
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:30 AM
well..time for Sofia to shine!

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:37 AM
what was her career high ranking wise anyway.

Sad to see her go :sad:

Prizeidiot
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Oh well... I really liked Asa ever since I saw her play hopman cup all those years ago. But I just hope she's happy, that's the most important thing. I'm glad Swedish tennis hasn't lost her completely and she's coaching younger talents.

galadriel
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:16 PM

jonny84
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:45 PM
what was her career high ranking wise anyway.

Sad to see her go :sad:
She was once ranked #28 in the world in 1996 and was the winner of 2 WTA singles and 7 WTA doubles.

At least she is continuting a career in tennis...

tommyk75
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Man, it seems she was around forever (I don't mean that in a bad way). Did she beat Gabriela Sabatini at the U.S. Open one year, or is my memory just playing tricks with me???

Alek
Jan 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Received the confirmation :)

HEJA SVENSSON!!!

Hi !

Yes I can confirm my retirement.
My foot injury stoped me from training in December and I still had a lot of
pain. I wish i could have played Australian Open a last time but it would
have been impossible and the Doctors said it was nothing to do. It was not
even sure a surgery would have helped and that would have keep out another 6
month.
Now I have this new job, instead i work almost full time for the federation
to help develop girls tennis. Im traveling coach for the future team, 3
girls 16 year olds Michaela Johansson,Nadja Roma and Johanna Larsson. The
will play some juniors and plenty of 10.000$ and 25.000$. Im Ass coach in
the fed cup team with Catarina Lindqvist.
Im now busy with my new job and exited to start a new capter in my life.
Thanks for your support through the years, your X-mas present really warmed
my heart.

All the best,
Asa

Grachka
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM
What a nice letter from Asa :) Hope she has a great post-WTA life :D

Jorn
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM
farewell Asa! good luck in your new life! :)

I can still remember Hannover 2000 where she won with Zvereva. It was ithink the first time I saw Åsa. I only remember from her first doubles match, a serve game.

Åsa was serving and It toke about 25 minuts, yes 25 before they had won that game :eek: all in the halle thought the scoreboard don't work. ;) I don't think I ever have seen so long a game, and I have been at some tournaments...last time I saw Asa was in Wimby 2000 ithink. else on TV a few times.

sorry Alek, now you need a new fave.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:47 PM
:sad: the end of an era :sad:

matthias
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:08 PM
poor Asa :(
but all the best for her future

Escape
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Asa :sad: :(
All the best for the future :)
Great too see that she's staying in Tennis,working with the up and coming Swedish stars

Alvarillo
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Asa good luck for your new life! :)

jimbo mack
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Man, it seems she was around forever (I don't mean that in a bad way). Did she beat Gabriela Sabatini at the U.S. Open one year, or is my memory just playing tricks with me???

its already been posted that she beat sabatini at the us open 1996 :p

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:40 PM
:bigcry:

rated_next
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:07 PM
i just saw the thread ... Asa :sad:

But well done on a fantastic career :)

XaDavK_Kapri
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Good luck in her after-career! :)

Mattographer
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:31 AM
:eek:

You'll be missed, Asa! :sad: I remember you from Hopman Cup in 1999 and 2000 was great!

M&M
Jan 11th, 2005, 01:19 PM
:sad: well, good luck in your new life, asa! u will be missed!

Fantastic
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I hope Asa stays fit because she is FIT, mate! :D

martinailuv
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:17 PM
:sad:

wongqks
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Hope Asa have a rewarding life after her career in tennis. Although she did not achieve everything she want to achieve but she is still a great player :)

Alek
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Became official to the world now ;)

http://www.tennis.se/t2.asp?p=47266&x=1&a=147265

anabel
Jan 13th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Good luck in life Asa

Alx :kiss: