PDA

View Full Version : How will Martina Hingis do in Pattaya?

Muffin the Mule
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Well...?

spike83
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:39 PM
she should at least survive a couple of rounds, the rumours say she is acting at a very high level for the moment (at least in the exhibitions she has been doing).

I expect a lot of her!

crazillo
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:09 PM
QF.... Depends on the draw. If I had the entry list it would be easier...

Muffin the Mule
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Martina has said that the other players are ranked between 30 and 95 - I don't think anyone knows much more than that! :confused:

Martian Jeza
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:12 PM
As far as she can but I hope she will pass her test successfully : That's all that count at my side ! Come on Marti !

Martian Willow
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I dare not speculate. :unsure:

lakeway11
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I dare not speculate. :unsure:

i will, she will win easily :)

SilK
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I think she will have an easy first round, and probably lose in the second.

Not that I doubt Martina's skills as a tennis player. But she has been out for a long while, not being able to train a full schedule, concentrating on other things as well.

She has changed, the game has changed and she is not wonder woman! :)

I do hope she will make a full comeback, he game was pure perfection! :hearts:

Vincent
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I expect her at least passing the first round, at most winning the whole thing. :D

jonny84
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I doubt she would be able to win the tournament having not played professionally for over two years. It depends who she faces in the draw - she probably will win at least the first round but will probably have to struggle and dig deep to go further.....

MLF
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I think she'll probably win it. The thing is Hingis normally only ever lost to the elite big hitters on the tour. She had no answer to their power. An elite big hitter isn't going to be playing in this event - it's going to be players who have to graft and work a bit more and Martina was always able to handle those type of players.

Doraemon
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I think she will lose to a nobody.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I need to see the draw first.

alwayshingis
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:46 PM
As for Martina's opponents, I think the draw in Moorilla this week is a pretty good approximation of the type of players we'll have there. Probably without a player like Amy Frazier, but starting with Dulko and going down. My biggest worry is a player like Vaidisova, or Ivanovic, or Li playing that tournament, and, knowing Martina's luck with draws, she'll draw one of them in the first round. I really hope not!

But right, could I really say anything esle but that she is going to win it?

barmaid
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Well that is the $64,000 question at the moment isn't it?:confused: If Martina can play pain-free, and can recapture most of her mobility..she should have no problem winning the title...the outcome depends on the "if's":bounce: :worship: :hearts:

barmaid:wavey:

faboozadoo15
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:10 PM
i have no idea how well she can play. i have a feeling her foot is fine or she wouldn't even be doing this, so put a check next to mobility. but what about her angles, her drives, her defense, her return of serve? i'm not worried about her moving around the court, i'm worried about what she can do with the ball. and by worried, i mean worried. i really want her to come back, but i don't think she will unless she has a stellar result here-- finalist or winner.

i think she can definitely win the title. the only comparable absense is seles', and monica pranced all the way to a tier 1 title. hopefully hingis can do it here.

Martian Jeza
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Well that is the $64,000 question at the moment isn't it?:confused: If Martina can play pain-free, and can recapture most of her mobility..she should have no problem winning the title...the outcome depends on the "if's":bounce: :worship: :hearts:

barmaid:wavey:

Yep but I've my fingers crossed for her ! That's all I can do for my idol.

St.Sebastian
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I wish she could win this tournament. But as it will be her first since 2002, I'd say she may reach SF, falling to one of the top-seeds or hot youngsters.

Chrissie-fan
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:01 PM
No idea really. But I hope she can put up a good show that gives her a lot of confidence for the future. :smoke:

alwayshingis
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I think it could be helpful to her to comeback during the clay season. Power is mitigated a bit and she should be able to gain some confidence there, too.

Chrissie-fan
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Well,I certainly hope that her comeback will succeed. Jen is my fave,but tennis hasn't been the same without Hingis. The game needs her. Such an awesome talent. :smoke:

I think it could be helpful to her to comeback during the clay season. Power is mitigated a bit and she should be able to gain some confidence there, too.

Spunky83
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I WANT her to win, isnīt that enough? LOL

No, serious, Iīd love to see her playing again;)

Julia1968
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Well,I certainly hope that her comeback will succeed. Jen is my fave,but tennis hasn't been the same without Hingis. The game needs her. Such an awesome talent. :smoke:

Tennis hasn't been the same since Christine Marie Evert-Mills retired in 1989.

Danke Anke
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Knowing how competitive Martina is, I KNOW she's going to be training fairly hard for this tournament, probably playing practise matches against some decent players as well. I think she'll surprise us. Also, the 62 62 win against the Olympics Doubles silver medalists is very encouraging.

thelittlestelf
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:11 PM
I think she will do well. I voted that she'll win the whole thing, but I won't be disappointed no matter what.

I'm just overjoyed that she's back on tour, even if it's just for a little!

spike83
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:23 PM
dokic also makes her comeback here ... could get nasty

LindsayRocks89
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM
i hope she wins it, Good luck Martina!!!! :bounce:

Jan 9th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Although I was never a fan of Martina I think it would be so cool if she won the French (although I am getting ahead of myself...I tihnk ;)

DelMonte
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:40 PM
when does this tournament start, please?

Muffin the Mule
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:44 PM
when does this tournament start, please?

January 31

Chrissie-fan
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I think I love you! :yeah: :smoke:

Bacardi
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:58 PM
I think semi's :)

DelMonte
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:15 PM
January 31

cheers! :wavey:

MisterQ
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I just wonder if she will be "match tough" after such a long time off. As far as her game itself, I'm sure she is capable of winning it against this field. good luck Martina! :cool:

Vut
Jan 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM
I thinks QF!

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Oh please...Chris Evert didn't do ANYTHING better than Hingis...

Chunchun
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:23 AM
sth like QF or SF

Marcus1979
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:27 AM
She is quite capable of reaching a SemiFinal.

Martina would be playing if she was not ready.

The players that caused her most problems in the backend of her career before retiring wpn't be here.

SO if Martina comes back at a high level she should do well.

Daniel
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:21 AM
she will win it :)

Chrissie-fan
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:52 AM
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh please...Chris Evert didn't do ANYTHING better than Hingis...

Hayato
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:57 AM
i find it very hard to see her winning it, when she hasn't played in years :p

daniela86
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:42 PM
she will win it :)
exactly :yeah: come on martina!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :cool:

Volcana
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:09 PM
If her feet and ankles hold up, I think she'll win.

jacobruiz
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I'd love to see her win it but I'm afraid that's overly optimistic. To do that after not playing competitive tennis for so long would take an awful lot of talent.

So maybe she's got a good chance!:bounce:

Lemonskin.
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I'm thinking semifinalst.

JenFan75
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:48 AM
I would love to see her come back and win the entire tournament!

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:57 AM
You have to remember how good Hingis once was and the fact she has a ton of experience. If she gets through the early rounds, expect her to gain confidence round by round. If she makes atleast the QTRS, she'll win.

ArgentineTennis
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:01 AM
You have to remember how good Hingis once was and the fact she has a ton of experience. If she gets through the early rounds, expect her to gain confidence round by round. If she makes atleast the QTRS, she'll win.

Hingis hasn't played on the tour in years, so she will need to time to find her form. But every match that she wins her confidence will grow. I agree with you VeNuS#1LoVa, if she advances far enough, she'll have enough confidence to take it all the way.

bmxbandit
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Runner up to JDo. :)

Dawn Marie
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Omg, her feet are fine. She was always going to come back sheesh already!!

If she gets trounced in the first round she'll lose a bit of self esteem but will continue to play the game. If she wins it will add confidence and then she'll work towards playing a tougher tourney.

The only thing that is on that kid's mind is tennis and hoping when she comes back she won't get trounced so bad. For her this is scarey because she has always been used to being on the top. Her feet excuse helps her now though to give her fans and the media a legit reason why she is not beating the top players. If she does beat top girls it will be a great story.

Hingis is not hurt and can train at 100%. She was always afraid to lose. Well now she realizes that she LOVES the competitive GAME and the SPIRIT more so than the ass beatings.

Welcome back Hingis and I cannot wait until she plays Venus again. I hope it is on TV. I also can't wait to see Martina's new revamped serve. I am so sure she has been working on that these past two years.

The kid had her much needed break and now she's going to have to FIGHT to win again.:)

P.S. If by chance she damages her feet by coming back(like she ever left) and can no longer walk again.. I have a nice wheelchair that she can sit in. :)

SerialKiller#69
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:13 AM
At least the finals.

Dawn Marie
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:18 AM
hey serialkiller where is this draw? I would like to see it? I can't find it can u help me>

SerialKiller#69
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:21 AM
i don't have it.

Dawn Marie
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:26 AM
is it posted yet? when does it begin?

SerialKiller#69
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:32 AM
i'm not sure if it's been posted yet. the tournament starts at jan 31 i think. so the draw would probably be released near that date.

Rub
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:02 AM
i sure hope she wins... but it will be hard i think... but i also think she will train well for this tourney!

Prizeidiot
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM
I'll play safe and say second round. But I seriously don't have a clue

Martian Melissa
Jan 13th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Omg....I can't wait till this tournament begins! I have a really strong feeling that Marti will suprise everything and will come out in a really good shape...she will win the whole thing without breaking a sweat!

Amazing Elena
Jan 13th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I hope Martina wins and decides to come back

Philip
Jan 13th, 2005, 06:03 PM
geez i hope that jelena dokic and martina are in different halfs... i wouldnt want to see a dokic vs hingis first round. simply cos i want martina to come back, but if she lost in the first round, i think she wouldnt bother, whilst if martina beat jelena, it would just completely devastate jelena, and she may never recover back into the top 100 never mind top 50.

:scared:

looking forward to hingis' return though :)

jamesuk
Jan 14th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Just watched a lot of the 97 French Open semi v Monica Seles. Some of the shots Monnica was throwing at Martina were just unbelievable in their power, yet Martina found a way so many times to convert those to her own advantage.

I cant believe that many of the players ranked 40-90 have a game close to Seles 97. Watching it today was the first time I had seen Seles for a long time, and I was STILL struck at the ferocity, yet Martina held her ground and won. She could be capable of doing some real damage.

However, I havent watched her US Open semi v Serena 2001 recently, which might make me change my mind!!

Still, I reckon the only way to beat MArtina is to play power power tennis to perfection. Anything less and MArtina would win. The only ones these days who can do that tennis are.....well Lindsay during last summer maybe. The WIlliams have shown that such perfection can only come and go, and for them at the moment it has gone

SerialKiller#69
Jan 14th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Just watched a lot of the 97 French Open semi v Monica Seles. Some of the shots Monnica was throwing at Martina were just unbelievable in their power, yet Martina found a way so many times to convert those to her own advantage.

I cant believe that many of the players ranked 40-90 have a game close to Seles 97. Watching it today was the first time I had seen Seles for a long time, and I was STILL struck at the ferocity, yet Martina held her ground and won. She could be capable of doing some real damage.

However, I havent watched her US Open semi v Serena 2001 recently, which might make me change my mind!!

Still, I reckon the only way to beat MArtina is to play power power tennis to perfection. Anything less and MArtina would win. The only ones these days who can do that tennis are.....well Lindsay during last summer maybe. The WIlliams have shown that such perfection can only come and go, and for them at the moment it has gone
I was also watching Martina's matches in AO where she beat the likes of Mauresmo, Venus and Serena. The power they're generating is amazing but more so, Martina's reply to that power. I don't think she'll fare well though if she's a tad bit slower nowadays because of that foot problem.