PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams

Blackbeat
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:59 PM
I saw the semifinal match at the Oz Open against Kim Clijsters...it was so great... :hearts: :hearts:

Can anybody tell me, whats are the differents?

Serena today vs. Serena at the Oz Open and before...??

wateva
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:06 PM
nothing actually... i think it's just that her opponents fear her less...

RenaSlam.
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I think the biggest things were her confidence level and her movement. She was very confident and was very fit as well. Her forehand was much better, she was quicker around the court, etc. Her serve was also a HUGE weapon, she got cheap points usually 2-3 times per game. Hopefully Rena returns to the Serena of old!

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM
No Serena is nothing compared to what she was at the moment. please....no one could touch her if she played like she did nin 02-03...:rolleyes:

harloo
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I think the biggest things were her confidence level and her movement. She was very confident and was very fit as well. Her forehand was much better, she was quicker around the court, etc. Her serve was also a HUGE weapon, she got cheap points usually 2-3 times per game. Hopefully Rena returns to the Serena of old!
True dat. However, the biggest thing was that she was focused on tennis and not all the outside interests.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Main difference was CONFIDENCE. Which she can thankfully gain back.

She was sooo confident off the ground on her strokes, she hit the balls more consistently hard and to the corners. Her whole game oozed confidence allowing her to go for her shots and usually make them.

I think she's lost some of that now, and she's alot more streaky, but there's no reason why if she's injury free, she cant return to that level in 2005 :)

Doraemon
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:55 PM
She definitely has aged in the past few years.

pav
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I saw the semifinal match at the Oz Open against Kim Clijsters...it was so great... :hearts: :hearts:

Main Difference? Her clothing taste has become progressively worse over the years! Danger! incoming red dots !!

serenafan08
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Main Difference? Her clothing taste has become progressively worse over the years! Danger! incoming red dots !!
:lol: Well, I don't think that's the difference. But I do think the biggest difference is her focus. In '02-'03, she was focused 100% completely on tennis. Now, she has so many different things she's interested in that tennis has taken a baskseat to all of it. We've seen what a completely focused Serena can do: Look at her dismantling Capriati this year at Wimbledon, destroying Mauresmo at the French Open in '03, getting revenge on Justine at Wimbledon '03, and playing the best match against Venus in their series at the US Open finals in '02. These are just a few examples of how a focused Serena can almost never lose. I also think that she was a little tougher mentally then compared to now. She's always been one of the game's best fighters, and that's what pulled her through '04. Her matches with Mauresmo at Wimbledon and the YEC were two perfect examples of how her fighting spirit makes her a contender everytime she plays. If she can just get that focus back - she can still become arguably the best player the WTA has ever seen.

Julia1968
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:28 PM

You make a valid point.

Kim Clijsters was the first to draw blood in the 2002 YEC's against Serena. Followed by Justine at the 2003 French Open. The Belgium women showed the WTA how to beat Serena. No more fear factor. No more dominance.

RenaSlam.
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:31 PM
You make a valid point.

Kim Clijsters was the first to draw blood in the 2002 YEC's against Serena. Followed by Justine at the 2003 French Open. The Belgium women showed the WTA how to beat Serena. No more fear factor. No more dominance.

Hmmm...then Serena beat Kim in straights at the Hopman Cup a few months later. Then beat her in the AO Semi. Then beat her at the Nasdaq 100 Open....HMMMM. Justine showed the WTA Serena could be beaten on clay...and then Serena crushed her at Wimbledon 2 and 3. :lol: :lol:

Whatzup
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Serena was also much more stronger two years ago.. she had much more muscles than compering to what she now has. And that's important for her game, because she plays powertennis.

spartanfan
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Well I think when Serena plays tournaments and matches consistently and without long extended time away from playing she finds her rhythm and gains confidence that way. I don't think any of the players on tour look forward to playing Serena. While its true last season no one never knew what Serena would show up on court, most, if not all knew the outcome all came from Serena's racquet. The reason why so much media attention is paid to Serena is because, Serena's on game and playing at her best will still beat any other player on tour at their best. Some people may not want to hear this or even believe it, but its true and they are just in denial about the fact.

harloo
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Well I think when Serena plays tournaments and matches consistently and without long extended time away from playing she finds her rhythm and gains confidence that way. I don't think any of the players on tour look forward to playing Serena. While its true last season no one never knew what Serena would show up on court, most, if not all knew the outcome all came from Serena's racquet. The reason why so much media attention is paid to Serena is because, Serena's on game and playing at her best will still beat any other player on tour at their best. Some people may not want to hear this or even believe it, but its true and they are just in denial about the fact.
:worship:

icequeen
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Why is it that people are ignoring the fact that Serena has been out of the game for almost 1yr. Let's see how jhh and kim fairs upon their return. Serena has always had outside interest and it has never stopped her before. It's really amazing how their injuries are just over looked and not taken into consideration.

When Kim and jhh comes back and they begin to have the same problems as the sisters it will be a different story...we'll be hearing on they've been out with injuries ....yada, yada, yada. Amazing who V&S are always put in a different catagory from everyone else.

thelittlestelf
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Her second serve isn't as deep as it used to be, but that first serve is perfection still :).

The difference is that Serena, while she is still confident, doesn't hit the ball with the same authority that she did in 2002-2003. I saw a little of that old Serena at the YEC, but I remember the days when she used to beat top players in straight sets with very few errors. IE the match she played against Justine at Wimby 03--she played absolutely flawlessly.

The Serena of 2005 could surprise everyone.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I don't think it's about strength, Serena is STILL very strong. It's about her technical game which has broken down a bit recently. All year she had SOOOOOOO many UFE's. The US Open Quarter final comes to mind. Even though they cheated her, she really beat herself by spraying wild balls all over the court. I think if she TRULY dedicates herself to tennis again, she'll be a force to be reckoned with for the next few years. It's all up to Serena and all of us know that, including the haters.

dreamgoddess099
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Well let's see, she had knee surgery, her sister was murdered, she was off the tour for eight 1/2 months, she has a new sponser and a ton of pressure, she spends most of her time on the west coast while her family, coaches, and trainer live on the east coast, she owns a fashion line, and she's acting. In short her life has changed and she has to find a new balance to deal with everything before she can get back to playing her best tennis.

cheo23
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:00 AM
No Serena is nothing compared to what she was at the moment. please....no one could touch her if she played like she did nin 02-03...:rolleyes:
I mean they were Touchin her in 2003
Australian OPen 1st Round
SHE Struggled to DEFEAT little EMILIE LOIT in 3 SETS
she overcame KIMMie in 3 SETS from 5-1 DOWN 2 Match POINTS
& she outlasted Venus in 3 SETs
Family Circle Cup
She loses to Justine in straight SETS
the next month or so..she loses to Justine AGain FRench OPEN
Justine winnin 5 of the last 6 GAMes
WImbledon comes
she overcomes J.Crap in the 3rd SET
SERVin at LOVE -40..& wins the match
I Mean..the competition is GETTIN STRonger
Every Year
I know she had surgery but she still REACHED the FINAL of WIMBLEdon
GRASS IS HER FAVORITE SURFACE obviously..She wants it so BAdly
& she LOVEs that TOURNAMENT ALOT w./ all the tradition
THe Opponents ARE NOt intimidated Anymore
We'll SEE how SERENA Competes this YEAR
GOOD LUCK SERENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE LovE U!

Prizeidiot
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:43 AM
She's been distracted, her focus has wavered, that's a key. Also, I think everyone else has picked up their games. But I still think if she can play her absolute best, she would still be number one, as much as I don't like Serena

Experimentee
Jan 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM
The main difference is mental, she chokes a lot more and shows her nerves. Thats a lot to do with not having as much confidence due to the injuries.

jonny84
Jan 10th, 2005, 01:47 PM
What Serena needs to do is to decide which part of her career is most important to her and focus on that as it must be difficult to juggle fashion, tennis and acting.

If I was her I would continue with strength in tennis as that is what she is best at and is probably more profitable - then when she retires she can pursue her acting career and then can have the best of both worlds.

icequeen
Jan 10th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I just love how everyone knows what best for Serena accept Serena.

Infiniti2001
Jan 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM

A debilitating injury which forced inactivity for 8 months, and then
playing on a shaky, rehabbing knee. All that shit about the fear factor being gone is absolutely BS as far as I am concerned. I'm patiently awaiting the comments that will accompany the Belgians once they're back on the tour and not performing like they use to. :tape:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Tookl the words right out of my mouth....she moved faster and hit harder as well. We caught a glimpse of how she hit her ground strokes when she played Sharapova in the 3rd set at the WTA championship. Some girls may fear her LESS but thats because they know Serena AND Venus does not play street ball tennis the way they use to when they were taking everyones head off on the WTA tour back in 2000-2003.

bandabou
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Injuries...she isn't fully confident in that knee yet and that obviously hampers the rest of her game, specially the used to be lethal second-serve....and that again has an effect on the mental side...the field has gotten better, but the only newcomer who's troubling serena is Maria....so I don't think it's really the game itself.