Evie now in main draw and will play one of the following:

7-Maria Sanchez Lorenzo
Anca Barna
Dally Randrienteffy
Nemeckova or Ivanovic or Bychkova or Czink

good luck evie :rocker: :banana: :hearts: :kiss: :cool: :woohoo:

Mr_Molik
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:23 AM
wow well done evie. i no she should b winning these matches but any win is a gr8 one for evie.

TS
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Finally she qualifies for a main draw...Evie always seems to struggle to pass the first round of qualies :o

Matches she should have won, and she did :)

Best of luck in the MD...

ozfan44
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
she got bloody worst possible outcome

number 7 seed sanchez lorenzo pfffffffff

nitocris_tiger
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Wins through qualifying without losing a set... go Evie! :yeah:

rusty_red_head
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:30 AM
good luck tomorrow Evie!

nitocris_tiger
Jan 11th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Not a bad story :D :

Dominikovic continues journey back from wilderness

CANBERRA, Jan 9 AAP - Evie Dominikovic beat nerves and a punishing schedule to continue her long journey back from the tennis wilderness today.

Dominikovic, Australia's fourth top ranked player, spent much of last year sidelined with chronic fatigue syndrome. In a remarkable turnaround, Dominikovic today beat Romanian Delia Sescioreanu 6-3 6-0 to qualify for the main draw of the Canberra Women's Classic ahead of next week's Australian Open where she has a wild card.

World No.125 Dominikovic conquered a punishing schedule just to make it to Canberra.
She finished a match late Friday night at a WTA tournament in Auckland and got four hours sleep before boarding an early morning flight to Melbourne yesterday.

Once in Melbourne, Dominikovic managed to snag the last seat on a flight to Canberra, making it into the capital just 20 minutes before her midday match.
She won twice yesterday to take her through to today's decider.
Dominikovic, whose ranking ballooned during her illness after reaching a career-best 64, is aiming to make it back into the top 100 over the next few months and has a target of a spot in the top 50 before the end of 2005.

"I've had a great last three months so I'm pretty happy to get through (today)," Dominikovic told reporters.
"I'm playing well and looking forward to the Australian Open. Another couple of wins will be great and that's my goal, to take it a match at a time."
She is hoping to improve on her previous best at the Australian grand slam, where she made it to the third round in 2001 and 2003.

Dominikovic admitted to some nerves early in the match today as she tried to assess the form of her opponent.
One of the drawbacks of her time away from the game was a lack of study of other players on the tour.
"Because last year I wasn't out on the tour, so I haven't seen a lot of players play," she said.

Dominikovic's other goal this year is to improve her net-play.
"I've been working (on coming into the net) for the last month and a half," she said.
"When I push the girls out wide, (one of the my goals) is to get to the net and finish it off.
"I hit good volleys and there is no reason I can't use the net."
Dominikovic is due to meet 7th seed Maria Sanchez Lorenzo, of Spain, in the first round of the tournament.

rusty_red_head
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:22 AM
well done Evie I hope you can make ur 1st WTA QF tomorrow!!!
you must be playing really well!!
Keep it up!

Mr_Molik
Jan 11th, 2005, 01:04 PM
well done evie

ozfan44
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Go Evie i think Ivanovic will be a bit tougher than Lorenzo but hopefully she can get through it and really build up some confidence for enxt week!

Also Evie and Dani have been promised a wildcard for main draw doubles at ao

hope they do well there!

nitocris_tiger
Jan 11th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Dominikovic sends seventh seed packing

CANBERRA, Jan 11 AAP - Evie Dominikovic is the sole remaining Australian in the Richard Luton Properties Canberra Women's Classic after posting a comfortable straight sets win in her first round match today.

Dominikovic defeated seventh seed Maria Sanchez-Lorenzo 6-3 6-2 and will play inform Serbian qualifier Ana Ivanovic next up.

But the news wasn't so good for Aussie veteran Nicole Pratt, bundled out 6-0 6-3 by Ukrainian Yuliana Fedak.

Pratt was never really in the match, although she had a chance to capitalise on a break-point at 3-3 in the second set.

This left Dominikovic as the lone flyer of the Australian flag and the 24-year-old Sydneysider entertained a vocal crowd in an avenging last year's loss at the same event to Sanchez-Lorenzo.

Dominikovic raced to a 4-1 lead in the first set and was never headed, backing up with two consecutive service breaks after both players held serve at the beginning of the second set.

"Last year I wasn't playing anywhere near as well as I am playing now, so I knew if I kept playing like I have been in qualifying matches I could win today," she said.

"I'm serving really well and that's what's keeping me in the game."

With the obvious excitement surrounding next week's Australian Open, Dominikovic has the double motivation of trying to break back into the world top 100 after an injury riddled 2004 saw her ranking slip to 125.

"This tournament is good for match practice and also I want to get my ranking down, so it's great to be playing well," she said.

"If I keep winning there's not reason why I can't get back into the top 100 - there's no reason why I can win again if I play like I did today."

Meanwhile, Pratt has turned her attention to next week at Melbourne Park.

The sixth seeded Pratt had given herself a good chance at this week's tournament and was hoping to add to her maiden career singles title won at Hyderabad last year.

But after missing last week's tournament at the Gold Coast with a knee injury, the 31-year-old Queenslander's lack of preparation showed through.

Fedak, who reached the second round of the Australian Open last year after going through qualifying, raced through the first set in just 23 minutes and wrapped up the match within an hour.

"I certainly would have liked to play a few matches here but i'm happy that the injury's under control," she said.

"I'm basically just short on match play and need to start playing some competitive stuff."

"She didn't make any unforced errors in the first set and she played well but really I shouldn't allow another player to play that well."

"That break point at 3-3 - I felt like if I could have had that game she would have had to start thinking about things a little bit more but she always had her nose in front.

"It's at times like that, that the lack of match competitiveness can be the difference."

Elsewhere, top seed Sylvia Farina Elia of Italy beat Russian Tatiana Panova 7-6 (7-0) 6-4, while second seed Israeli Anna Smashnova easily accounted for Spaniard Arantxa Parra-Santonja 6-0 6-0.

Third seed Meghann Shaughnessy was defeated by little known Hungarian Aniko Kapros 6-2 6-3 in their first round match.

The American, who had been ranked as high as number 11 in the world ahead of recurring neck and ankle problems over the past two years, struggled to find consistency, serving 17 double faults and hitting several unforced errors.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetid=RDM38363.8929665741

azza
Jan 13th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Evie lost Ana 7-5 3-6 4-6 :(:mad:

broncosven
Jan 13th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Still a top score line though !!