PDA

View Full Version : wtatour.com... ha

Fingon
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:14 AM
you type wtatour.com and this is what you get

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. /global/core/globalformdata.asp, line 85

didn't these guys (the programmers) learn anything about exception handling? :rolleyes: in a serious company you make an error like that and get fired, but I guess the wta, like on everything, only hires the mediocre ones.

And they are telling everyone that they are using a SQL Server database, security whatever.

tennis2003
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:39 AM
I think with their new sponsor they will be changing the address

crazillo
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:40 AM
That might be a reason, yes.
Was it called sanexwtatour.com back in 2001 or whenever?

40-0
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:44 AM
that happens a lot, its just a lil error! nothing wrong, theyll fix! SQL is a program used for sites that have galleries,forumns and stuff like the wtatour has!

Fingon
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:46 AM
I think with their new sponsor they will be changing the address
nope, it has nothing to do with changing the address, they have an error with their sql server database, it might be the database server down, an error in the connection string or many more things.

Fingon
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:53 AM
that happens a lot, its just a lil error! nothing wrong, theyll fix! SQL is a program used for sites that have galleries,forumns and stuff like the wtatour has!
No, it doesn't and it's not a lil error, that's totally unacceptable on a corporate site and trust me, if you think it's nothing wrong better don't work as a developer.

SQL is not a program, it's a language.

What this is is SQL Server, which is a database server, they get the info to fill the pages by quering that database.

This errors do happened, but it's unacceptable they don't have exception handling, you should not give the users info on what errors you are getting and what database you are using, there should be an exception handling structure that show a message (like we are experiencing technical difficulties, please try again later).

It's also not acceptable that they haven't fixed it, isn't the wta a corporation? Believe me, if this happens where I work the DBA would get a call and get his ass there in no time.

Very unprofessional, like everything else in the wta.

flyingmachine
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:15 AM
No, it doesn't and it's not a lil error, that's totally unacceptable on a corporate site and trust me, if you think it's nothing wrong better don't work as a developer.

SQL is not a program, it's a language.

What this is is SQL Server, which is a database server, they get the info to fill the pages by quering that database.

This errors do happened, but it's unacceptable they don't have exception handling, you should not give the users info on what errors you are getting and what database you are using, there should be an exception handling structure that show a message (like we are experiencing technical difficulties, please try again later).

It's also not acceptable that they haven't fixed it, isn't the wta a corporation? Believe me, if this happens where I work the DBA would get a call and get his ass there in no time.

Very unprofessional, like everything else in the wta.
This is not really relate to this thread but you remind me of a teacher who told me off about exception handling on my web programming assignment many years ago.