PDA

View Full Version : Highest and Lowest Ranked WTA Tour winners

CJW1984
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Who are the hightest and lowest ranked current players who have won a WTA Tour Event?

Thanks

Dava
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Well I guess anyone who was number one would have won a wta event would be the highest...I think I read somewhere Myskina won one when she was ranked really low, and Lucic did as well...

PointBlank
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I think Nicole was ranked low when she won Vancouver

Jan 8th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I think that the highest ranked person to have ever won a WTA Tour title would have to be number 1. Although I am not sure ;).

:Rawwb:
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Vaidisova was ranked 180 when she won vancouver but i am sure that there have been lower ranked players to win a WTA tour title....still thats pretty low

crazillo
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Safina I think.

E. Blackadder
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:31 PM
anna kournikova....no wait... she didn't win a singles title at all :devil:

brunof
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I believe currently the record is held by Angelique Widjaja who came out of no where to win Bali, as a wildcard, ranked somewhere around the low 500s. She showed a tiger's drive at that tournament.

Then there was Mirjana Lucic who was unranked :eek: when she won her first title.

BTW, I believe Myskina was ranked 288 when she won Palermo in 1999.

CJW1984
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Sorry I meant highest Ranked player not to have won a WTA Event...:o

or who's been highest in the rankings when they won their first title

brunof
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I believe currently the record is held by Angelique Widjaja who came out of no where to win Bali, as a wildcard, ranked somewhere around the low 500s. She showed a tiger's drive at that tournament.

Then there was Mirjana Lucic who was unranked :eek: when she won her first title.

BTW, I believe Myskina was ranked 288 when she won Palermo in 1999.
I just checked my stat, and Angie was ranked 579 when she won her title. :eek: :worship:

Unfortunately for all you Nicole fans, she was already ranked well inside the top 150 when she won her first title...;)

SilK
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Kournikova got to 8 without any titles...
I think Dementieva also got to 8 without any titles around that same time...

cartmancop
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:01 PM
If u mean highest to never win a title, I don't think that Petrova has won one yet. She's at about #13ish & has been top 10.

Darop.
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty sure it was Widjaja...

Dava
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Petrova has been as high as 6 and won titles...

Also i think this thread needs a shout out to HENRIETTA NAGYOVA!!!! She won 9 titles, and never been ranked higher then 85 in the world...Livin' it up for those crappy clay court event...GO GIRL!!!

Randy H
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Petrova has been as high as 6 and won titles...

Also i think this thread needs a shout out to HENRIETTA NAGYOVA!!!! She won 9 titles, and never been ranked higher then 85 in the world...Livin' it up for those crappy clay court event...GO GIRL!!!
Henya's been top 25 before ;)

switz
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:45 AM

yeah i don't know where you got the fact that nagyova has been higher than 85. she was ranked highly for most the late 90s and got up back up a couple of years ago. injuries are her problem.

cartmancop
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:51 AM
According to wtatour.com Petrova has 0 singles titles. She has doubles titles(7) but I thought yall were talking about singles.

Lemonskin.
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Petrova I guess... Got to #6 in thw world. Still doesn't have a title.

crouching
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Dementieva was No. 21 when she won her first title at Amelia Island 2003.

Hantuchova was No. 26 when she won Indian Wells 2002.

Zvonareva was No. 28 when she won Bol 2003.

At the rate they are going, we'll probably see a first-time winner ranked within the Top 20 in one or more of either Petrova, Sprem or Schiavone, or even Golovin.

Orion
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Schiavone has never won a title?

Orion
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:43 AM
never mind, I confused her with Farina Elia

crouching
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Actually, I now remember three players who won their first titles when they were in the Top 20... and they are all French(!)

No. 11 - Mauresmo at Bratislava in 1999

No. 17 - Tauziat in Bayonne in 1990

No. 20 - Testud in Palermo in 1997

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Crouching:

Dementieva was in the Top 10 at the beginning of 2001. The fact that her ranking had fallen to #21 by the time she won Amelia Island is irrelevant.

crouching
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Ted of Teds Tennis:

It pays to read carefully. As clarified by the original poster, the question was:

"Sorry I meant highest Ranked player not to have won a WTA Event... or who's been highest in the rankings when they won their first title"

Dementieva was No. 21 when she won her first title. The fact that she was a former top 10 player at the time is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

MLF
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Also i think this thread needs a shout out to HENRIETTA NAGYOVA!!!! She won 9 titles, and never been ranked higher then 85 in the world
Nagyova's highest ranking was #21. She was/is a very talented player but unfortunately her body hasn't been up to the task of being a professional athlete - she's had so many injury problems.

Of the current players the highest three in the rankings at the moment without a singles title are Petrova, Sprem & Schiavone.

Jackson.
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Petrova :sad:

HotSpot
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM
i think Angie... for sure

Fantastic
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:10 PM
If Mirjana Lucic was unranked when she won Bol in 1997, then surely she is the lowest-ranked player ever to have won a WTA tournament, on her debut no less.

Vut
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:25 PM
:eek: Angie!

tenn_ace
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:26 PM
anna kournikova....no wait... she didn't win a singles title at all :devil:
:haha: that was so unbelievably funny! :devil:

:rolleyes:

next time when you have urges to diss/bash Anna, use your favourite player's record.... :wavey: closer to home.

brunof
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Henya's been top 25 before ;)
Yes, I remember a few years ago Henrieta was featured in Tennis Magazine as a "Player on the Rise" or whatever, as she has been ranked as high as 21 I believe. It's sad to see such players, who really never challenge during the slams, but have steady play elsewhere fall, and so hard too. She was even a good enough doubles partner for junior Queen Martina Hingis, as they together won the Jr. French.

2001 was a great year for her, I remember seeing her on TV against Jenn Cap in the first round of the Australian Open, and she nearly sent Jenn home that day. During Jenn's struggles, Mary Joe Fernandez commented on the fact "that you have to beat a player like Henrieta Nagyova, because she won't beat herself." She's also so damn injury prone it's tough cheering for her. She's definately flopped in the rankings, 153...much like Talaja (18), Tu (36), etc. :sad:

brunof
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:51 PM
If Mirjana Lucic was unranked when she won Bol in 1997, then surely she is the lowest-ranked player ever to have won a WTA tournament, on her debut no less.
I suppose in some ways this accomplishment deserves the "lowest-ranked player to win a title award", but with one tournament she wasn't ranked. I would assume she became ranked after the US Open... I wonder what her ranking was at that point with a title, a final, and a third round appearance at the Open was. :confused: :o All I know is it wrenches me to see a talented player lose out so early on a career due to problems. Only seen her once too, French Open in 2001 against Jenn Cap, when members of this board were amazed at her "legs with cellulite." :rolleyes: :sad: