PDA

View Full Version : Na Li picks up Su-Wei Hsieh

pierce0415
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Left without a steady doubles partner by the Chinese Federation (Zheng plays with Yan, Sun plays with Ting Li), Li Na has put diplomatic tension aside and picked up Taiwan's promising youngster Su-Wei Hsieh as her doubles partner.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

They are in the doubles qualifying for Hobart this week and with a bye in the first round, will face either Morigami / Diaz Oliva or Mirza / S. Uberoi for a spot in the Main Draw.

Go Li / Hsieh :bounce: Hopefully Hsieh will use her time w/ Li Na to rejuvenate her game.

ptkten
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:24 PM
:eek:

I wonder what the Chinese tennis federation has to say about that

Martian KC
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Wow, very interesting!!!!

Good luck to them!

crazillo
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Interesting. :eek:

pierce0415
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:21 PM
:eek:

I wonder what the Chinese tennis federation has to say about that
You can bet that they will be "less than pleased" :tape:

mboyle
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Poor Na! She's gonna be beaten for her insolence, no doubt:sad: . Sad that Commies take sports so darn seriously!

*Jool*
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I applause her courage. She's right not to listen to them, it's a pity that a federation prevents a player from playing where and with whom she wants.

xin_hui
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:09 AM
erm...is the chinese government gonna be pleased?:unsure:

ZAK
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Peng is also playing with Lee of Taiwan

pierce0415
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:58 AM
Peng is also playing with Lee of Taiwan
yeah but Peng is not under the Chinese Federation anyway so it dosen't matter what she does ... she does not depend on them to fund her travel to tournaments :o

ZAK
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:01 AM
yeah but Peng is not under the Chinese Federation anyway so it dosen't matter what she does ... she does not depend on them to fund her travel to tournaments :o
Why doesn't Li Na just leave?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:54 AM
erm...is the chinese government gonna be pleased?:unsure:
They'll be pleased if she see and Su-Wei go far in the draw, which is more than possible at a Tier V.

I don't really think Na Li cares what the federation thinks anyway. The Chinese government were the ones that pushed Na into playing a full time schedule in '05. She told them she wanted to study in school and liked having the freedom to do whatever she wanted. It took some serious consideration on the part of the government. So now she's gonna do what she wants, and if they don't like it fuck em.

If they really freak out though, Na will have the money to support herself on tour without the governments help at least through this year.

Martian KC
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM
They're in the maindraw!!:bounce:

MLF
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Hsieh's not a bad doubles player so quite a good choice for Na Li. The top 2 Chinese doubles pairs are set and Na did play a Challenger with Ting Li last year and they didn't play that well together. There's only really Nan Nan Liu & Yan-Ze Xie left as potential Chinese partners and I don't think they're up to scratch yet though Nan Nan has been making good progress.

madjoe
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:03 PM
no more political comments,pls,we support players from chinese taipei as well as the mainland. :o :o :o :o :o

richie boy
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Hi Board!

This is what sticks in my craw - it is clear Li Na has the talent to make it as a pro and she doesn't need to rely on anyone but herself to fund her travel. I guess it's hard for people raised under that system to think and act independently but Li Na seems more capable than many :)

The only cloud on the horizon is the Beijing Olympics in 2008, if Li Na doesn't kiss all the right asses in the federation she may be punished with non-selection :fiery:

I saw the webcast of her match against Kuznetsova in the China Open and I've never been so impressed by an "unknown" player :worship:

davidmario
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Hsieh's not a bad doubles player so quite a good choice for Na Li. The top 2 Chinese doubles pairs are set and Na did play a Challenger with Ting Li last year and they didn't play that well together.
Li Ting/Li Na were a good doubles-team 5 years ago. They were playing at the Olympics and ranked in Top 100. ;)

Fantastic
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:47 PM
In the rankings, she changed her name to Li Na. Not that she'll be confused with Lina Krasnoroutskaya, but that now I can't call her "Gnarly" Na Li anymore. :sad: ;) :D

Vut
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM
:eek: Good pair

pcrtennis
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Do the Chinese players always travel in pairs? Sun/Li, Zheng/Yan, Na Li/Liu (They traveled together fo a while last year) and Peng/Xie....