PDA

View Full Version : AO Withdrawls Historically Consistent

Julia1968
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Before Australia built their new hardcourt tennis facility (pre-1988) and moved to January from December, top ATP and WTA players alike often "skipped" the Australian Open.

Whether it was the grass surface, or the lack of respect given to the Australian Open because of a poor venue provided, ATP and WTA players often gave the Australian Open a "stepchild" designation in spite of being a Grand Slam tournament. If not for cable television and ESPN, the Australian Open wouldn't have been televised in the late 1980's.

For those of us who were fans during this era, it wasn't uncommon for players to conveniently withdrawl.

Bezz
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I think most players rate the Aussie open amongst one of thier fave tournaments, i hope their withdrawls are genuine. :cool:

Useless
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:59 PM
so they dont really need the australian open

alwayshingis
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:12 PM
It used to be that way. It no longer is. These withdrawals are clearly genuine. Do you think Justine would withdraw with 1000+ points to defend just because she didn't really like the Australian Open?

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Before Australia built their new hardcourt tennis facility (pre-1988) and moved to January from December, top ATP and WTA players alike often "skipped" the Australian Open.

Whether it was the grass surface, or the lack of respect given to the Australian Open because of a poor venue provided, ATP and WTA players often gave the Australian Open a "stepchild" designation in spite of being a Grand Slam tournament. If not for cable television and ESPN, the Australian Open wouldn't have been televised in the late 1980's.

For those of us who were fans during this era, it wasn't uncommon for players to conveniently withdrawl.
Main reason they didnt go there was cos the prize money was so low
it was just as much as at Virginia Slims/Colgate Series tourns.

azinna
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:35 PM
It used to be that way. It no longer is. These withdrawals are clearly genuine. Do you think Justine would withdraw with 1000+ points to defend just because she didn't really like the Australian Open?

Agree with above and Boiled Egg's insight. Things have changed. Aussie Open has Slam clout now. Folks want it in their schedule. In fact, the current withdrawals are not consistent with more recent tennis history. From the mid-90s on, the players who consistently skipped the Aussie were limited in number: Steffi in 95, 96 (surgeries), Agassi (till he saw the light), Novotna (wished it were grass), Sampras once (Kafelnikov thanked him at the trophy ceremony).

But, Julia, you may be on point about the withdrawals serving as a kind of protest. Folks may no longer want to go to the AO with pulled muscles or healing microfractures. The legitimate injury absences may end up exerting pressure for the AO to move. Not fair, I know, on the Aussies.....

crazillo
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Agree with above and Boiled Egg's insight. Things have changed. Aussie Open has Slam clout now. Folks want it in their schedule. In fact, the current withdrawals are not consistent with more recent tennis history. From the mid-90s on, the players who consistently skipped the Aussie were limited in number: Steffi in 95, 96 (surgeries), Agassi (till he saw the light), Novotna (wished it were grass), Sampras once (Kafelnikov thanked him once at the trophy ceremony).

But, Julia, you may be on point about the withdrawals serving as a kind of protest. Folks may no longer want to go to the AO with pulled muscles or healing microfractures. The legitimate injury absences may end up exerting pressure for the AO to move. Not fair, I know, on the Aussies.....

Novotna didn't skip it all the time though. I think she wudn't today.
Tauziat did it, too.
I don't know anybody else who did after her for no reason.