PDA

View Full Version : Paola and Vivi in problems?

MAURO
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Paola is injured
Virginia will play this week in Sydney and maybe in Australian Open with Martinez. In Los Angeles 2004 they played together when Paola was injured because toenails.
Paola said this year she will play more singles than doubles.:bounce: And now she needs more points in the tournaments she will play.

Viriginia was older than Paola and had a lower ranking in singles.

do you think this couple was in problem?

Personally I think if they won Wimbledon will be the end of the couple -not the friendship necessary-

Caz
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Sadly, I would tend to agree. :sad: I think they will do their best to win Wimbledon this year, as it's the only major tournament they haven't won together, and they both keep on saying how much they want to win it. After that, though I really hope they will play together forever, I'm really not so confident.

Though I really hope they don't split the partnership, I think it would be quite a natural thing at this point in their careers; when they first started playing together they were in the same position in their careers; they teamed up got to the top and won everything., but now that Paola is more successful in singles too they surely must both have different aims. Vivi needs to keep on being successful in doubles, whereas Paola must surely want to do as much as she can to try to be as good as she can be in singles, which would, obviously, mean cutting down on doubles. It would seem a natural decision to me, even if I am dreading hearing it! :sad: ;)

MLF
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Possibly but I don't think so.

Vivi has a good Fed Cup record with Conchita and it made sense for them to play in LA to tune up for last year's Olympics. In 2003 Conchita played Filderstadt with Suarez as she's friendly with both so it makes sense that Vivi would play in Australia with Conchita if Paola isn't there.

Gallofa
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't think so. Paola's doubles have not hurt her singles at all, I think in fact playing doubles has helped her and kept her going when the singles results were a bit disappointing. The fact that they are at different places in their singles career is not a bad thing at all, it means Vivi can concentrate more on the doubles. Most sucessful doubles teams are made up of people who are not competing against each other on the singles.

It is one thing to want to "concentrate" on doubles, it is another thing to kick a golden mine goodbye, Paola and Vivi have been making millions together and winning GS titles left and right these last four years, I am sure for as long as the results keep up the partnership will continue (unless they had personal differences, but that seems unlikely).

crazillo
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I agree with Gallofa.