PDA

View Full Version : Will Elena win her first Grand Slam this year?

TopTenPlayer
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I think she has a very good chance. How about you?

Vincent
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM
If she keeps on practising her serve, she is almost unstoppable. :)

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM
She is good enough. And I don't think she has any problems with nerves.
But it takes some luck. There are a lot of good players.

jonny84
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I really hope so - she could have easily beaten Kuznetsova at the US Open but was probably too nervous with all the pressure.

Lets hope Elena goes past the first round of the Oz Open unlike the last two years.

Knizzle
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Nah, I don't think it's very likely.

Vamos Feńa
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Hopefully she will! I wish her that! :D

TopTenPlayer
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Nah, I don't think it's very likely.

Why? I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Natasc
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Yep, I agree with you "Yoda" (GL for me ;) )

But I have a good feeling about Lena in this year
She realy maded some improves
And I'm happy for that
She also feel more confident and I always thought that Lena major prob was not her server but was about her server in her mind. She didn't have confidence in her games and this make she lose the matchs. But now with the confident I think that she will be hard to take ;)

ginger_fish668
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Yes, but she does need to improve her serve. A little luck would also help cos there are so many good players out there.

TennisTutor
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Let me remind you that other great players with less on their serve than Elena have won grandslams too.
Those people that say she can't win are just mad because she just beat their fav. :(

Drimal
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I would say yes! :bounce:

There are days on which she has a better serve and on which she can beat Top 5 players. With a little bit of luck and a good draw she will certainly win a Grand Slam maybe in 2005.

If you see all these injured players for Australian Open she is a serious candidate for this title. ;)

Brαm
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Let me remind you that other great players with less on their serve than Elena have won grandslams too.
Such as...? :o
Those people that say she can't win are just mad because she just beat their fav. :(
The last time Elena played my favourite player, she lost 2-6 2-6 :p

ginger_fish668
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Whoa! Chill out! :rolleyes: I do like Elena. And my favourite player of all time is Martina Hingis, so I am well aware that players with a weak serve are capable of winning Grand Slams. :) Just that I've seen Elena this past week and her serve DOES in fact need improving, cos that's mainly the way the game is played nowadays.

tom2791
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Yes!

Dava
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:33 PM
You can give the girl a golden serve but its confidense she needs. The more consistant she is, the more she shall develope. Yes the serve needs imrpoving but it wouldnt really have helped her in the French Open final were she well and truly shackled with nerves.

Sa for the question I think Elena has proven there is a slam in her...and i think everyone knows that...but whether she can actually bring herself to do it is another thing altogether never mind this year, but throughout her entire career.

faboozadoo15
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:43 PM
i think she will.
her second grand slam performance was much better than RG... and sveta played maybe her best match of the year and barely beat elena who was hampered by an injury.

the injury may not have truly affected the outcome of the match, but it was something elena had treatment for in a few of her other matches. she also had 2 consecutive 3rd set tiebreak wins to get her to the final.

kodeRED
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM
i believe that many of you are mistaken.. elena really just needs the serve to be in place.. if u think that it is all mental then u have not seen her other than the RG final.. at USO she had nerves of steel and all that stopped her from beating sveta was her serve which sveta ate for supper...
elena will win a slam this year!

ginger_fish668
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:49 PM
i believe that many of you are mistaken.. elena really just needs the serve to be in place.. if u think that it is all mental then u have not seen her other than the RG final.. at USO she had nerves of steel and all that stopped her from beating sveta was her serve which sveta ate for supper...
elena will win a slam this year!

Thank You! :bounce: Someone who agrees! :)

katiektc
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:59 PM
I think that Elena definately CAN win one, its just bringing everything together; her game being on form (including that serve), her nerves, luck and a good draw.

If she never wins a GS it would be sad because she is more than able to.

(•_•)
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM
If she had a better serve I think it could be possible.

Stefwhit
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:14 PM
In her first Slam final it was all about nerves, in her second it was all about being phyisically pushed to her limits and being out played- plain and simple. When it comes to Lena D. the key to a more succesful year is all about being a lot more consistent. Although a 1st round loss, followed by a Final, followed by a 1st round loss, followed by yet another Final does show some sort of consistency, it's not the kind I'm wishing for her this season. She'll lose in straight sets to Panova, then beat the likes of Venus, Dokic, and Petrova. She'll beat the likes of Vera, MoMo, and JCap, then lose in straights 0-6,5-7 to Lisa Raymond. First things first, which means that Lena D. needs to stop losing easily to players she should be beating comfortably. When she pulls it together and keeps her focus she is a world class player, but when she's not foccused she is far too eratic.

Last years Elena would beat SvetKuz, Masha, and Vee, then turn around in lose in the first round in her next event. The next tournament will tell us fans what we want to know... Best of luck to her this season!!!!

serenafan08
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I think it is very possible for Elena to break through at a major. To me, the only players she should watch out for are Serena and Lindsay - both of them have owned her in the head-to-head. But other than those two, she can beat just about everyone else. She's good enough. If she can come through against her countrywomen, which she has been doing over the last few matches, then it is very possible for her to win a major.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Not until she improves her serve under pressure. I mean real pressure

JenFan75
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Yup ^_^

I think she can do it at the French Open this year.

VS Fan
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Well, As you can see by my handle, I am primarily a Serena, Venus suporter.

BUT, I have watched Elena in her games closely in the last two years.

If she can get her SERVE fixed, she can DOMINATE womens tennis. The serve seems to be getting better. Her groundstrokes are second to NONE, and also her speed on court. She deserves to win a slam or two!

blumaroo
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:02 PM
It's all about the serve. I don't think it has improved that much really. SHe broke through in 2000 and the serve still hasn't changed much in five years. Plus she has consistent troubles with Serena and Lindsay even when she brings her top game. Mentally she can't beat Myskina. IN order for Elena to win a slam, she needs to bring her top game every match, get her first service in and a little luck in the draw. Without one of these factors, she won't win a slam.

TopTenPlayer
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:25 PM
In her first Slam final it was all about nerves, in her second it was all about being phyisically pushed to her limits and being out played- plain and simple. When it comes to Lena D. the key to a more succesful year is all about being a lot more consistent. Although a 1st round loss, followed by a Final, followed by a 1st round loss, followed by yet another Final does show some sort of consistency, it's not the kind I'm wishing for her this season. She'll lose in straight sets to Panova, then beat the likes of Venus, Dokic, and Petrova. She'll beat the likes of Vera, MoMo, and JCap, then lose in straights 0-6,5-7 to Lisa Raymond. First things first, which means that Lena D. needs to stop losing easily to players she should be beating comfortably. When she pulls it together and keeps her focus she is a world class player, but when she's not foccused she is far too eratic.

Last years Elena would beat SvetKuz, Masha, and Vee, then turn around in lose in the first round in her next event. The next tournament will tell us fans what we want to know... Best of luck to her this season!!!!

Very good post.

On the subject of serving I don't remember Martina Hingis having a very big serve but yet she has won several grand slam events.
How about Jennifer Cap. She double faults on big points and just serves big enough to start the point.
Is the serve really the issue or does it come down to nerves and consistency?

Natasc
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Very good post.

On the subject of serving I don't remember Martina Hingis having a very big serve but yet she has won several grand slam events.
How about Jennifer Cap. She double faults on big points and just serves big enough to start the point.
Is the serve really the issue or does it come down to nerves and consistency?
What I think is that's all in conection
If lena don't have the server, she don't have the confidence and which player play well without confidence :confused:
Is the confidence that make you take risks in some points, be agressive and others things
So, maybe technically the "server" is not the problem but mental I think that is
Everybody talks about Lena's server and, when she get the server everybody look to her and say: "Well, if she was the #5 wihtout this with thsi she will be #1" and that gives confidence for her, and she's very dangerous with confidence 'cause she became more consistent, more focus on the match and that is always hard for ever player

So, now I think that she know that she can server and that give confidence to her. She beat Masha and Venus, and she also play some amazings fights in doubles. So, I realy think that this year she will go far. Not that she become will become that #1 (not that I doubt about this) but I think that she will get a SLAM ;)
She knows how to reach the final, she already have some experience in that so, next time that she reach again will be hard to get her
She have the guns for win a SLAM, now it's just "wait and see"

Of course that all this IMO ;)

loveactually
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:21 AM
come on, Elena... i think you can make it...

flyingmachine
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:24 AM
It depends on her serve. ;)

tennnisfannn
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:03 AM
She stopped Lindsay, ameliex2 and jen in the slams last year, people with pretty decent returns. That serve stopped them. For me that is proof she could have won a slam. If she handled those players, there was no reason why game wise she couldn't handle myskina and svetlana. It is and was all mental.

crazillo
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:15 AM
I am not sure....
I think no, but if she has a chance, then on clay IMO.

Dolphin
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:32 AM
I think she has a good chance

Go Elena!! :bounce: :bounce:

Martian KC
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I think she can, but proally at the US Open.

Stamp Paid
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:05 AM
As of last year, she wasnt mentally ready.

Is she ready this year? I think she needs to win at least a Tier 1 first. :D

Prizeidiot
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Actually, I think she has a pretty good shot at the Australian Open. A lot of the top players aren't at the best of health, and some are even withdrawing. Also, I think she might be able to catch a few players off guard with the new serve. I'm not saying the serve will carry her, more, that players who are used to attacking her serve at will might not know what to do when she's serving decently.

I thought she played well in the U.S final last year, it was more Svetlana played off her nut and didn't miss a forehand, which was a little unfortunate.

Her strength of mind should be at least a little better for beating Maria and Venus this week. Although an exhibition, it'll help her get over the little mental blocks she had against those players.

Marcus1979
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:35 AM
its not speed on Elenas serve that is the only issue.

its placement and accuracy.

she double faults a lot almost giving the opposition easy breaks of serve. aka Myskina at Roland Garros.

and sometimes her serve does sit up a lot just asking to be spanked.

or she doesn't hit deep enough on some occasions.

When in the rally she is fine but its that opening shot that causes problems.

spike83
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Her serve has improved, haven't you guys seen the match reports of the watsons water challenge (on the site)????
Sharapova could hardly return it sometimes :s
soo don't tell me it hasn't improved, and beating the likes of sharapova and venus with such score :o that's some serious punching!
Also her return wich was already one of the best has improved, she returned sharapova her first servers like they where nothing.
She is improved and will be THE PLAYER of 2005, just see
all you critics you're wrong, it's not mental, no there's nothing that can stop her!

Shoulderpova
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I would say yes to
Of course she will 'cause her serve is impvroved ;)

Russia-Rulez
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Yessss the Australian Open first!

TennisTutor
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Now that would be soooooooo sweet! :bounce:

hilde26
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Q. Were you surprised that she(Sveta)wasn't nervous in her first major final?
ELENA DEMENTIEVA: You know, but it feels like she's so strong, so powerful, that she doesn't really need to be nervous, you know. She has a powerful game. She was dominated all the time. I mean, it was no way for her to be nervous.
This it what Lena said about nerve problem after us open final interview.Lena had lost all three match-up vs Nastya on clay and her serve was very fragile. Lena might have thought she had little possibility to win that very important match. I think she had sufficient reason not to be confident and be nervous at that match.

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 11th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Never.:oh:

Mynarco
Dec 11th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Ben :sobbing: