PDA

View Full Version : Can I just say for all those dissing Venus

cool bird
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Roger Federer lost nearly all his matches at last years hong kong or what every one it is he played. And it did not hurt his year. Venus Moilk Elena and every one eles playing expos will start the aussie open with no wins and no losses for the season. As long as they dont play any wta events between now and then.

MLF
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Well, the important thing for Venus was that she got a lot of good quality tennis played this week - Zvonareva, Kuznetsova & Dementieva plus a few doubles sets is a good way to tune up your game. I think she'll do well in the Open, the day off between rounds should really help her seieing as she's always been a bit injury prone.

The Open is looking quite good so far as Dementieva, Myskina, Molik and Venus have all made good starts to their year. Kuznetsova, Zvonareva, Petrova & Hantuchova all seem to be in pretty good shape too so add Sharapova, Serena and Lindsay at the Open and things could be pretty interesting.

mboyle
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:25 PM
The Hopman Cup is not an exhibition. It actually counts as a tournament. However, to put Alicia's chances of winning Oz above Venus' is (still) preposterous.

faboozadoo15
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:26 PM
how about "dementieva is a good player and it's just an exhibition at the end of the day."

the roger comparison will only draw more "dissing". he couldn't have taken that thing any more lightly. im really glad he didn't play this year.

mboyle
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Also, Elena's results are notoriously inconsistent. She might have used up her "good" week in this exhibition, and could very well lose first round in Oz.

kodeRED
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:29 PM
elena is becoming way more consisitent... 2 slam finals remember... don't take it out on her

cool bird
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I did not know the Hoeman cup counts now. When did they change it. Cus I think a few years ago when Blake beat Hewitt people where saying it does not count in head to head reacords

serenafan08
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:55 PM
The Hopman Cup is not an exhibition. It actually counts as a tournament. However, to put Alicia's chances of winning Oz above Venus' is (still) preposterous.
No, the Hopman Cup is still an exhibition tournament. It's a round-robin team competition with players from different countries competing against each other. It's used as a warmup for the Aussie - Serena played in it in '03 and it didn't count as any matches on her record. It doesn't count as a real tournament, and Venus will go into the Aussie with an 0-0 record.

Jan 8th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I think that Hopman counts only on the ITF tour. It is not a usual "exo" because it is run by the ITF.
One Venus: I for one think she had a good week regardless that it was an exo. There must be really something (beyond the money) that draws players to Hong-Kong every year.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I did not know the Hoeman cup counts now. When did they change it. Cus I think a few years ago when Blake beat Hewitt people where saying it does not count in head to head reacords
even when Blake bt Hewitt it counted, its been an officially sanctioned ITF event for a few yrs now (not sure exact start date but its been 6-7 yrs)

thelittlestelf
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:09 PM
elena is becoming way more consisitent... 2 slam finals remember... don't take it out on her
Yeah, but her results are undeniably very lopsided.

1r, F, 1r, F

She's a great player and person and I hope her improved serve helps her win a slam sometime.

Julia1968
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:15 PM

I must agree. While Alicia Molik is an up and coming player, she hasn't yet proven she has the goods to win a Grand Slam singles tourney. Venus has a much better chance to win in Australia, albeit, she's definitely not a favorite based upon her recent history in the WTA.