PDA

View Full Version : Do you want your favourites to compete in Watson's Water Challenge next year?

Happy Guy
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Hi guys, the 2005 edition of Watson's Water Challenge came to conclusion today. Although the tournament this year was plagued by injury and schedule changes, this tournament is certainly one of the most important warm-ups for AO, since many top players were invited over the years and because of the unique time slot.

The past champions are -
1999 Venus Williams (def Steffi Graf)
2000 Jennifer Capriati (def Martina Hingis)
2001 Jelena Dokic (def Anna Kournikova)
2002 Jennifer Capriati (def Elena Dementieva)
2003 Monica Seles (def Chanda Rubin)
2004 Venus Williams (def Maria Sharapova)
2005 Elena Dementieva (def Venus Williams)

Do you hope your favourites to participate in 2006? I hope Elena can come back to defend, and Vera Zvonareva who impressed me so much with her attitude. :)

ginger_fish668
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Hi guys, the 2005 edition of Watson's Water Challenge came to conclusion today. Although the tournament this year was plagued by injury and schedule changes, this tournament is certainly one of the most important warm-ups for AO, since many top players were invited over the years and because of the unique time slot.

The past champions are -
1999 Venus Williams (def Steffi Graf)
2000 Jennifer Capriati (def Martina Hingis)
2001 Jelena Dokic (def Anna Kournikova)
2002 Jennifer Capriati (def Elena Dementieva)
2003 Monica Seles (def Chanda Rubin)
2004 Venus Williams (def Maria Sharapova)
2005 Elena Dementieva (def Venus Williams)

Do you hope your favourites to participate in 2006? I hope Elena can come back to defend, and Vera Zvonareva who impressed me so much with her attitude. :)

I agree about Vera. She has been so kind to fill in the last minute and has been nothing but professional and spetacular. :yeah: I do hope she will be properly invited to return next year. :clap2: The same for Elena, Masha(who I had hoped to see more of), and Svetlana. I can't really say I enjoyed the Williams sisters this time... :p

ginger_fish668
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:18 PM
spectacular...I'm so tired... :retard:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Hong Kong is a great city to visit!

I wish K-Lilna would be invited to play there next year! (But I'm not sure whether or not she would want to play this exhibition instead of playing a tournament in Australia).

By the way, I think I like last year's HK exhibition more because I had a chance to see ATP's #1 player Federer.

Experimentee
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I hope my faves will play Hopman Cup because I like that tournament and we get coverage of it, but if they dont they should play the HK exo :)

anthonyqld
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I want Vera to play Gold Coast again next year

Chunchun
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:47 PM
of cuz yes, i want LenaD to come back and defend next year so back :bowdown:

cuz next yr i will be 100% going to the exo :bounce:

switz
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:55 PM
it's good but at the same time i think it kind of bad (well put). i think there is actually potential to make the gold coast a tier II event if they could attract some better players. it's a tournament players really enjoy. i feel like there needs to be less low tier stuff before the australian open because as it is now sydney is the only strong tournament. i think if the aus open gets pushed back a few weeks then this will have to happen to give this 'road to the australian open' greater legitimacy.

faboozadoo15
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
:lol: i'd love for monica to come back ANYWHERE. and she's won this puppy before. she was playing great going into that australian open and then sprained her ankle in the second round... which really ruined her year.

but anyway, it's in hong kong, so sharapova will almost certainly be back and so will elena. maybe jelena-- she too has won it before :retard:

crazillo
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Actually no, because I think this tournament is never a real test for the players... They don't give their best at times and strange things happen (i.e. in the doubles).

Dava
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:50 PM
You know i dont see why they dont just ass it to the tour...its a confirmed favortie with players, and is just a big a part of the season as any of the other events held at this time of the year.

ginger_fish668
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:20 PM
:lol: i'd love for monica to come back ANYWHERE. and she's won this puppy before. she was playing great going into that australian open and then sprained her ankle in the second round... which really ruined her year.

but anyway, it's in hong kong, so sharapova will almost certainly be back and so will elena. maybe jelena-- she too has won it before :retard:

Why would Maria and Elena certainly be back? Are you talking about the money involved? :confused: Maria did promise to come back again next year after she withdrew. And Elena did say she wanted to return. :)

Epigone
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I want Vera to play Gold Coast again next year:worship:

Bepa, we need you at the Gold Coast :D

faboozadoo15
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Why would Maria and Elena certainly be back? Are you talking about the money involved? :confused: Maria did promise to come back again next year after she withdrew. And Elena did say she wanted to return. :)
they like the preparation, and it seems they like being there rather than anywhere else during that week on the tour calendar. yess, there's money involved too.

Happy Guy
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Not too sure about Maria, but quite certain for Elena, who has been coming for the last 4 years.

10nisfanofruz
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I would love to see
Dementieva
Sharapova
Myskina
Golovin
Hantuchova
Vadisova
Sprem
Dulko
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ;)

jcman
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I would love to see K-lina, Nastya there.

ginger_fish668
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM
they like the preparation, and it seems they like being there rather than anywhere else during that week on the tour calendar. yess, there's money involved too.

Thought so. :) They probably wouldn't make it an official WTA tournament though... cos then they can continue charging us that ridiculous price. :( I don't think the players would want it to become an "official" tournament as well. Anyways, Maria is almost treated like royalty here. I think she likes that. ;)

Happy Guy
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Thought so. :) They probably wouldn't make it an official WTA tournament though... cos then they can continue charging us that ridiculous price. :( I don't think the players would want it to become an "official" tournament as well. Anyways, Maria is almost treated like royalty here. I think she likes that. ;)I remember reading a newspaper article about the tournament in 2000 or 2001 explaining why the tournament remained an exhibition forever. The organisers prefer securing more very top players than holding an official tournament, not because of the price. On the WTA, total prize money corresponds to the tier of the tournament, but the number of Tier I tournaments is strictly managed. A Tier 2 tournament, which requires less money, may not attract as many top players because they may prefer adapting to the environment of Australia and playing the lower tiers there. Just look at Toray PPO, even though it's a Tier 1 it can never attract a field as strong as the one this year.

Jan 8th, 2005, 03:42 PM
For an exo this event was very important to many players. While a few stars were missing (Justine/Kim etc.) it was easy to see from this exo that the ladies don't like losing to each other ;). That's the kind of tour I like :drool:

Happy Guy
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:44 PM
For an exo this event was very important to many players. While a few stars are missing (Justine/Kim etc.) it was easy to see from this exos that the ladies don't like losing to each other ;).
Definitely :worship:

I went to the tournament every day and it was obvious that the players did not want to lose. Sveta's argument with the bad line calls and beating her thigh with her racket, Maria's loud grunts, Elena's hard work and don't forget Venus' comeback against Sveta yesterday...these can all tell that they care about the results.

ginger_fish668
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Definitely :worship:

I went to the tournament every day and it was obvious that the players did not want to lose. Sveta's argument with the bad line calls and beating her thigh with her racket, Maria's loud grunts, Elena's hard work and don't forget Venus' comeback against Sveta yesterday...these can all tell that they care about the results.

Did you hear Svetlana telling the chair umpire to get glasses? :lol:
Yeah, they do seem to take this tournament seriously. But they're also having fun. Am I making sense? :) You must know what I mean. :p
After Masha lost the first night she was really pissed as she signed autographs in the tents.

Happy Guy
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Did you hear Svetlana telling the chair umpire to get glasses? :lol:
Yeah, they do seem to take this tournament seriously. But they're also having fun. Am I making sense? :) You must know what I mean. :p
After Masha lost the first night she was really pissed as she signed autographs in the tents.
Yes, sure. Don't wanna boost others' psychological advantage and hurt their own confidence. Sveta asked the umpire to wear glasses at 0-3 of the Tiebreak~ ;)

Maria certainly did not want to lose and she herself did not expect that. She was obviously dejected.

ginger_fish668
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Yeah! Oh well, overall, I am still really pleased. I had fun. Will go and support them again next year. :yeah:

Veritas
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Just look at Toray PPO, even though it's a Tier 1 it can never attract a field as strong as the one this year.

Obviously you don't know much about Toray PPO's history (i.e. past draws).

Happy Guy
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Obviously you don't know much about Toray PPO's history (i.e. past draws).
Surely I know...Graf, Navratilova, Hingis, Seles...

But the tournament is getting weaker and weaker as the year goes by. Not only is Hingis and Davenport maintaining their spectacular level of play, but also more players not putting the event into their schedule or pulling out in last minute. Tokyo is an indoor tournament scheduled directly after AO which is played under heat and sunlight, and there are no other Asian indoor tournaments around. All in all, I am not criticizing nor despising the Toray PPO, but just wanna make an analogy with the HK exhibition that the latter may not have as much attraction if it is turned into an official tournament in consideration of the weather condition and location as compared with Australia.

Fantastic
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Nah, mixed doubles is more fun to watch.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Not too sure about Maria, but quite certain for Elena, who has been coming for the last 4 years.
Masha has been going there for the last 3 years - since the time she was ranked #185.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Last year after Lena D lost to Masha the 1st night, Lena was quite upset too.

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:35 AM
I think I'd rather see Vee play Gold Coast again, more match play...:)

Edman
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Here is a list i wish to see next year:
S.Williams
V.Williams
Dementieva
Sharapova
Myskina
Pierce
Hantuchova

Prizeidiot
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:18 AM
I think the exhibition is a good thing. It provides the players with some match play which is a big thing early in the season. And it has the top players playing doubles, which is always great for the crowds. I hope Elena goes back next year, as well as the other girls

Marcus1979
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:25 AM
I like the event.

its round robbin so they are guaranteed at least 2 matches. Plus doubles which gives em more match play.

lets face it beginning of the year most the players are short on match play so its a good way to start the year off.

AKTW
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Last year after Lena D lost to Masha the 1st night, Lena was quite upset too.But not much. At least she could still manage to smile at the autograph booth.

ginger_fish668
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM
But not much. At least she could still manage to smile at the autograph booth.

Actually I admire Vera's sporting spirit... :) She's been absolutely wonderful this past week! :worship:

AKTW
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Actually I admire Vera's sporting spirit... :) She's been absolutely wonderful this past week! :worship:I agree. :) She didn't feel ignored by the organisers though I somewhat feel sorry for her.

Vass22
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Lena D. comes there a lot! She'll be back next year to win it again...

ginger_fish668
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I pretty sure Masha (oragnisers fav), Lena D will return. Maybe Sveta and Vera too... :clap2:
That'd be great for us in HK.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:10 AM
But not much. At least she could still manage to smile at the autograph booth.
As you know, Lena has always been nice to fans, so I think she could smile to fans naturally no matter what.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I agree. She didn't feel ignored by the organisers though I somewhat feel sorry for her.
Vera is such a nice girl!