PDA

View Full Version : Justine says she was burnt-out (article)

DelMonte
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Source: http://www.theage.com.au/news/Breaking-News/Players-need-more-time-off-Henin/2005/01/08/1104832350405.html

Players need more time off: Henin
January 8, 2005 - 6:49PM

Shattered former world No.1 Justine Henin-Hardenne has rekindled calls for a shorter tennis season after a broken knee bone forced her to abandon her Australian Open defence before it even began.

Henin-Hardenne will fly home to Belgium on Sunday for desperately-needed rest after an MRI scan revealed a micro fracture of the right femural condyle bone.

The triple grand slam champion doesn't require surgery but doctors have told her to sit tight for another four to six weeks, ruling her out of the first grand slam of the year starting at Melbourne Park on January 17.

Henin-Hardenne said although she sustained the injury while practising in Florida at Christmas she pressed ahead with her plans to warm up for the Open at the Medibank International in Sydney next week.

"I took rest, I did everything I could. I came here. I was confident but then the rest didn't help and my pain is getting worse and worse," she said.

"To keep playing is not going to help me, so I have to take rest because it's a serious injury but it could me more serious if I keep playing.

"I don't want to stay out of the circuit for another six months so I have to be careful right now.

"I'll have to be smart. Making this decision is very hard to accept but I have to take it and I'm sure it's the good one."

Henin-Hardenne's late scratching has stunned Australian Open director Paul McNamee and left the tournament void of both last year's women's finalists.

Fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters on Friday officially declared herself a no show because of an ongoing wrist injury.

Henin-Hardenne's condition follows a nightmare 2004 in which the Belgian was largely bed-ridden for eight months with what, until Saturday, everyone deemed to have been a mystery virus.

But, in what must have been a worrying revelation for tennis officials, Henin-Hardenne claimed she was actually suffering from "burnout" - at just 22.

"It was more than a viral infection. I think it was a burnout," she said.

"In 2003, I played so many matches and worked so hard that I really never stopped playing, never took a break.

"This kind of thing happens to all of us. I remember at the end of 2002 Lleyton Hewitt had the same kind of problem and it's tough because when you're not 100 per cent, you cannot compete. It's frustrating."

Henin-Hardenne's debilitating illness, which sapped her energy and left her constantly feeling lethargic, restricted her to just nine tournaments in a stop-start 2004.

After making a brilliant start to the year with victories in Sydney and Dubai either side of her Australian Open triumph, Henin-Hardenne was first sidelined for seven weeks.

The world No.7 attempted a comeback at the French Open but was confined to bed again for almost three months after crashing out in the second round as the Roland Garros titleholder.

Henin-Hardenne made a brave and glorious return at the Athens Olympics, snaring the gold medal, only to lose in the fourth round at the US Open a week later.

She hasn't played since and has now joined the chorus of players hoping tennis's agenda setters reduce the length of the season some time in the near future.

"It's the opinion of all the players, that's for sure," Henin-Hardenne said.

"But it's not easy to make a good calendar for everyone. We have to find a good way. It's not an easy situation and I totally understand it."

Henin-Hardenne said she didn't want to go to Melbourne Park half-hearted.

"I don't want to go to the Australian Open with a 50 per cent chance because I am sure I cannot go to the end of the tournament like this," she said.

"It's disappointing because I was so happy to be back and playing again.

"I was working hard for the first time in a year and this injury with my knee is really bad luck.

"It's very bad for me to start 2005 like this. But I am sure everything is going to turn very soon.

"I'll have my time again, that's for sure."

crazillo
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I think the same. 2003 was too much for her and that viral illness was caused by this.

Rest well Justine.

JennyS
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:20 PM
I'm not suprised she felt burned out. It's probably a combination of physical and mental exhaustion and the pressure of competition.

janjan
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Minor fracture it's rather lucky/
Get well soon Justine!

serenafan08
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I think the same. 2003 was too much for her and that viral illness was caused by this.

Rest well Justine.
I agree. '02 and '03 was tough for Serena too - she was out eight months with a knee injury! Justine and Serena are perfect examples of how the WTA's long tour schedule can really hurt you physically. The pressure of competing and winning on the tour probably added to both of their injuries. I hope that they both get well and fully recover, especially Justine.

Geisha
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:36 PM
And all of you losers said V & S needed to play more...

Geisha
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I agree. '02 and '03 was tough for Serena too - she was out eight months with a knee injury! Justine and Serena are perfect examples of how the WTA's long tour schedule can really hurt you physically. The pressure of competing and winning on the tour probably added to both of their injuries. I hope that they both get well and fully recover, especially Justine.

I don't agree. Serena didn't play too much in 2002 or 2003.

Sydney, Scottsdale, Miami, Charleston, Berlin, Rome, French, Wimby, LA, US, Leipzig, Tokyo, Chase. ::That's not a lot of tennis at all .She played a lot at the beginning of the year to get ready for the French, but that scheduling is very well done. In 2003, she played AO, Paris, Miami, Charleston, Rome, French, Wimbledon? That's not a lot at all.

It's Justine & Kim who don't think.

Sydney, Australian Open, Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Berlin, Rome, French, Wimbledon, Acura, JP, Rogers, US, Leipzig, Tokyo, Philly, Chase. NO DUH they are failing to stay healthy.

Julia1968
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:42 PM
If you notice that Henin-Hardenne talked about "playing all the time" in 2003, and if I'm not mistaken, she played more tournaments than required by the WTA that year. Her burnout was self-inflicted. It wouldn't have mattered if the WTA had reduced the number of required tournaments, Kim still would have played at least 20.

In their conquest to become number one, they both played too many tournaments. Again, these players should accept responsibility of their actions and stop blaming the WTA.

fammmmedspin
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Don't know how Serena featured in this. Serena has never over-played. Pretty incredible to think she hurt herself playing too much. Her injuries are the result of how she plays in terms of power and technique, time spent not playing resulting in playing under-prepared, and bad luck.

Justine is more interesting but the point about viral infections is that they cause all sorts of effects often before you know you have them - feeling burnt out is such an effect. Justine isn't a good case study either. Because of her size she put in a superhuman effort to change her body and game to get to the top and then overplayed to get to the top against Kim (who plays far more within her physique and played even more than Justine without any damage at the time) Its not surprising Justine's body said "no thanks", assuming the virus was just not bad luck anyway.

pav
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I'm probably as usual talking out of a hole in My rear end, but it just occured to Me that the general deterioration in Justines health coincided with (no not Her marriage to PY) but soon after the much publicised 'sessions with old 'TrainEm till they cry' Pat eichelwhateverthehellhisnameis! I still remember We had a bit of fun with some of the pics of ol Pat looming over a sweating,straining JuJu! perhaps it wasn't a joke afterall, and tipped the undoubtably tough but diminutive JuJu body up and over the edge and onto the slippery downhill slope. Just a thought that came to Me, probably bullshit

serenafan08
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Does anyone know (or heard anything) about what caused the viral infection? I mean, we all have our opinions and they all make complete sense, but has anything been posted in any magazines or websites about actual causes? I was just wondering. And, I agree with all of you about Serena not playing nearly as much as Justine - she's a workhorse (Justine is)! But I do want to know what caused this virus.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:48 PM
If you notice that Henin-Hardenne talked about "playing all the time" in 2003, and if I'm not mistaken, she played more tournaments than required by the WTA that year. Her burnout was self-inflicted. It wouldn't have mattered if the WTA had reduced the number of required tournaments, Kim still would have played at least 20.

In their conquest to become number one, they both played too many tournaments. Again, these players should accept responsibility of their actions and stop blaming the WTA.
You know, bolding your post doesn't make your point any more valid than anybody elses. It just makes it harder to read :)

Lady
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:08 PM
She played 18 tournaments in 2003! Sorry, but that's just as much as WTA requires! :rolleyes:
No Phillys, no JP, no Tokyo that anniflava was creating here! Get your facts straight!

Lady
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:09 PM
And yes, no Rome either! :rolleyes:

azinna
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I think aniflava conflated Kim's year with Justine's. Not good when we are trying to make a point about the WTA requirements for playing.

If it is indeed true that Justine played in 2003 the exact number of tournies the WTA required/suggested, then we have a systems problem, folks. And whatever blame there is should be partly shouldered by the officals of the tour.

icequeen
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Don't know how Serena featured in this. Serena has never over-played. Pretty incredible to think she hurt herself playing too much. Her injuries are the result of how she plays in terms of power and technique, time spent not playing resulting in playing under-prepared, and bad luck.

Justine is more interesting but the point about viral infections is that they cause all sorts of effects often before you know you have them - feeling burnt out is such an effect. Justine isn't a good case study either. Because of her size she put in a superhuman effort to change her body and game to get to the top and then overplayed to get to the top against Kim (who plays far more within her physique and played even more than Justine without any damage at the time) Its not surprising Justine's body said "no thanks", assuming the virus was just not bad luck anyway.

How do you know that Serena was "under-prepared" as you put it.

icequeen
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I'm probably as usual talking out of a hole in My rear end, but it just occured to Me that the general deterioration in Justines health coincided with (no not Her marriage to PY) but soon after the much publicised 'sessions with old 'TrainEm till they cry' Pat eichelwhateverthehellhisnameis! I still remember We had a bit of fun with some of the pics of ol Pat looming over a sweating,straining JuJu! perhaps it wasn't a joke afterall, and tipped the undoubtably tough but diminutive JuJu body up and over the edge and onto the slippery downhill slope. Just a thought that came to Me, probably bullshit

Also coming down off of steriods can mess your body up.

Julia1968
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:40 PM
You know, bolding your post doesn't make your point any more valid than anybody elses. It just makes it harder to read :)

You know, I don't give a $hit. If you don't like it, don't read it.

DelMonte
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:42 PM

:rolleyes:

fammmmedspin
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know (or heard anything) about what caused the viral infection? I mean, we all have our opinions and they all make complete sense, but has anything been posted in any magazines or websites about actual causes? I was just wondering. And, I agree with all of you about Serena not playing nearly as much as Justine - she's a workhorse (Justine is)! But I do want to know what caused this virus.
We need our medical members...but I think the answer is you never know what causes a viral infection or where "cause" might start. Being stressed and burnt out might lower your ability to fight it and make it a significant virus if you carried it before, or make it easier for it to become established if you met it for the first time. Being stressed and tired, though ,might be symptoms of the virus and how you would react to stress would depend on your personal make up anyway. On the other hand, if you are exposed to it you might catch it anyway whether you play as little as Serena or as much as Kim or indeed if you did no exercise at all. If it was Glandular Fever ,lots of people seem to get it in their late teens but whether thats because of new forms of intimate contact (the kissing disease) or whether its to do with your body or mind at that age I don't know. Same with the knee. Is the knee hurt because its doing something again after a rest or is the body compensating for some effect of the virus by putting new forces onto the knee.

crazillo
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Lower ranked players can play more, because they usually don't reach two finals in a row. If they play more, i.e. Maleeva in 2003 before Wimbledon, where she had so many 3-setters plus doubles in one week, she got hurt.

It's just the consistent play until the Semis or Finals which make them hurt.

Julia1968
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:02 PM

That was totally uncalled for.

You have absolutely NO proof to offer that Justine ever consumed steroids. I know you are a HUGE Williams fan, and the steroid rumors concerning Serena from the Williams haters was just as unfair as what you just attempted to lump upon Justine.

Justine showed up for the Olympics and won, with drug testing.

People like you make me sick. Spreading unfounded rumors just because you hate a person you've never personally met.

You are no fan of tennis.

fammmmedspin
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:22 PM
How do you know that Serena was "under-prepared" as you put it.If you regularly don't play the preparatory tournaments and then turn up for a GS playing poorly in the first rounds and then get better as the tournament goes on it looks to me like you turned up unprepared and let your ability win for you. Its therefore not surprising to me that your body finds it stressful to suddenly find itself being asked to do things on a few days a year that it never does week in week out.

Now you might point out that no one could play like Serena does for a longer schedule and being prepared but too tired to win isn't very sensible to which I might agree. As a profit maximising strategy avoiding smaller tournaments and winning big ones also makes isense for the player concerned in the short to medium term. You could argue too that Serena has other things to do. The price of playing your tennis in superhuman bursts though might well be that your body reacts to this and when told to do it again you get problems as stomach muscles, knees and wrists complain about their lifestyle.