PDA

View Full Version : Feeling shitty about Aussie Open and beginning of tennis year!!!

DelMonte
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Even though many players were already injured towards the end of last year, I had hoped that they would recover and we'd have all the top players in the draw. Now last year's champion and runner-up are out of the Open and players like Serena, Amelie, Lindsay, Jennifer, Petrova and many more (Venus also?) have injury issues. I know this is part of the game but I just feel over the last 12 months or more injuries have determined who is the best in the world rather than skill and experience. I have loved the rise of new top players and contenders in slams but I just want --for ONCE- a slam where everyone is relatively healthy (never mind FIT because that is up to the individual player) so that we can see who is truly the best.

I am not trying to undermine the worth of this year's Aussie Open and I am sure I will still enjoy the tennis once it starts but, in my view, a little something-something will be missing.

DelMonte

switz
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
meh

switz

Experimentee
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I agree with you but its not just the Aussie Open, its every Slam lately where not all the top players are healthy. I would like all top players healthy again but i dont see it happening in the foreseeable future.

glamorama
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Staying physically healthy is part of a pro athlete's job, along with honing their shots, working on strategy and maintaining their fitness. If you are unable to play, you can't be the best. It doesn't matter if you can hit every shot in the book if you tear a muscle every time you play a match. Players who are injury-prone are by definition not the physical cream of the crop.

I think it's a fantastic accomplishment to remain healthy and injury-free for an extended period of time, these days, and those who can should be commended for it.

There will still be many great players at the AO. We haven't yet got to the stage where, for example, Alicia Molik is a favourite ;)

Lady
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Oh, yes I am feeling that way! :sad:

glamorama
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Also, I don't know why anyone is expecting that all the top players will be healthy at the same time. People thought this would happen last year, when the Williams sisters returned! It's not going to happen. It's up to the top players to control their own health, whether by undergoing a specific training regimen which will prevent injuries (Venus and Serena need to dump their 'fitness trainer' asap, the woman's a fraud) or by scheduling more sensibly (Kim Clijsters, I'm looking at you).

Jan 8th, 2005, 01:16 PM
The "bright" side is that this leaves the door open for more 'surprises'

Elldee
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:17 PM
The injuries and withdrawals this year seem on a par with the 2004 AO to me.

Prizeidiot
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:58 AM
It's weird that the Australian Open of all tournaments has so many absentees.... You'd think they'd be a little healthier after their break. But I guess the surface and the weather here aren't the most forgiving....

Prizeidiot
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Either way, I'm not too fussed right now, because no one I'm really a fan of is in poor health. And despite injuries, there is still plenty of class left to make a good tournament

Marcus1979
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:02 AM
It will still be a great 2 weeks of tennis as womens tennis has more depth now than it did. So even if a few top liners are out we will still have some great matches.

moby
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:10 AM
It's weird that the Australian Open of all tournaments has so many absentees.... You'd think they'd be a little healthier after their break. But I guess the surface and the weather here aren't the most forgiving....
I think the players do take a real break during their "break". And after that, they are overwhelmed with guilt at frittering their time away and try to squeeze in double the practice time within the remainder of their "break", injuring/reinjuring themselves.

Or perhaps the break leads to muscle stagnation (?) and they lose flexibility, strength etc. from not sticking to their regular exercise regime?