PDA

View Full Version : Is there something is the water or is the WTA just cursed?

JennyS
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:35 PM
It's getting reeeeeeeeealy annoying. Seriously though, maybe it's time to make some major scheduling changes. We debate all the time if a shorter season would help, but we won't know until they actually shorten it. All I know is that the current schedule isn't working or the WTA Tour is cursed.

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM
The players have to be careful about their own training programs, and their schedules.
If they get injured, someone else will go take the prizemoney and points.

bigshow21
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:38 PM
It's amazing how many players are hurt and forced to withdraw from tournaments. BUt why is it all starting now (the past couple of years) and not before?? :shrug: Whatever it is, hopefully this will be the last of it.

harloo
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I would have to agree. The amount of injured and injury prone top players are increasing daily. It's not really good for the sport.:(

tennisIlove09
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
the odd thing is, it wasn't THAT bad until Wimbledon 2003. But since that event, it's been half the top players injured, all the time. 03 Wimbledon was the last major with EVERYONE healthy and ready to go

martirogi
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:53 PM
the power tennis that now everyone plays is much more stressful on the body

GoDominique
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:56 PM
It's getting reeeeeeeeealy annoying. Seriously though, maybe it's time to make some major scheduling changes. We debate all the time if a shorter season would help, but we won't know until they actually shorten it. All I know is that the current schedule isn't working or the WTA Tour is cursed.
You sound like a broken record. :)

ginger_fish668
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Maybe it's coz the game's all about power nowadays...so the players all have to force themselves to practice more and train harder. Also, the year schedule is too much, they barely have time to rest. The depth in the WTA is also unbelievable. :)

Anyways, I still hope that they could take care of their body and health, playing one less tournament is still better then inguring themselves.

Fantastic
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:03 PM
What can they do about the number of tournaments? People have paid for the tournaments to be up and running. The top players should just cut their losses and play only as many tournaments as they want. The WTA shouldn't be pressuring them to play events they don't want to play and they certainly shouldn't be fining them for not wanting to play certain events if it does not fit in with their schedule. It's cruel. The WTA should never have entered into an agreement with tournament organizers to provide a certain number of top players for the top events.

Julia1968
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:29 PM

I don't know if any of you remember Navratilova's 80-90 match seasons (not including doubles), but the problem in my opinion is NOT with the WTA's scheduling. The players must assume a little responsibility how they schedule themselves, what they do in the off season (like, play exhibitions instead of resting), and how they are training.

It seems as though as women's tennis has evolved (90's to now), no top player has stood out as having mastered how to avoid repetitive injury. However, they certainly know how to hit a 90-100 mph serve consistently, hit forehands with an open stance, and swing at mid-court volleys like a groundstroke.

Proper body mechanics are so important in reducing the likelihood of repetitive injury. Chris Evert is a good example of how proper body mechanics on court can reduce the likelihood of repetitive injury.

Consider that there is a stong possiblility that some top pros feign injury for other interests outside of tennis. Remember Lendl's allergy to grass????