PDA

View Full Version : Should were be less tournaments and longer pauses on WTA tour?

Drimal
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM
It is really surprising and sad to see so many Top players injured at the beginning of the new year (Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Davenport, Mauresmo, Williams sisters, Capriati and Petrova)! :o

And this although there were five or six weeks of tournament pauses! :eek: :rolleyes:

I ask you: Should were be less tournaments and longer pauses on WTA tour so that injured player can better recover and alleviate the risk of injury?

Another thing is that considering all these injured players on tour with all the surgeries, is playing tennis harmful and at the end of their career the retired players have pains for all their life? :awww: :unsure: :scared:

anthonyqld
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:08 PM
No, because then the players will just play all these exhibitions like most of the top players did over the break.

tenn_ace
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:09 PM
It is really surprising and sad to see so many Top players injured at the beginning of the new year (Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Davenport, Mauresmo, Williams sisters, Capriati and Petrova)! :o

And this although there were five or six weeks of tournament pauses! :eek: :rolleyes:

I ask you: Should were be less tournaments and longer pauses on WTA tour so that injured player can better recover and alleviate the risk of injury?

Another thing is that considering all these injured players on tour with all the surgeries, is playing tennis harmful and at the end of their career the retired players have pains for all their life? :awww: :unsure: :scared:
so how many weeks do you propose they need?

both Kim and Justine have longer breaks since they haven't played since, at least, the US Open.

if you compare a number of tournaments top10 played in 2004 and, say, 2002 or 2001, I think you'll see that there is a decrease in tournaments played, but the situation has never been so bad as in 2004.

glamorama
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I think the players need to take some responsibility for their physical health, too... whether with off-court training or scheduling.

Drimal
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM
so how many weeks do you propose they need?

both Kim and Justine have longer breaks since they haven't played since, at least, the US Open.

if you compare a number of tournaments top10 played in 2004 and, say, 2002 or 2001, I think you'll see that there is a decrease in tournaments played, but the situation has never been so bad as in 2004.

Perhaps if you would start the new season one week later and make a little break in the summer, less players would be injured.
I don't really understand why players play exhibition events during the break as Serena Williams for example although they are exhausted and injured! :confused:
After all there are no ranking points to earn and in public people are not that interested in these exhibition events. ;)

manu32
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:17 PM
why russian players players never injured???and they play more .....

anthonyqld
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I don't really understand why players play exhibition events during the break as Serena Williams for example although they are exhausted and injured!
After all there are no ranking points to earn and in public people are not that interested in these exhibition events.

For the appearance fee

Shenay La Soul
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Yes there needs to be a real off season since the month of December is really being used to prepare for the Aussie tournaments.

anthonyqld
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:20 PM
why russian players players never injured???and they play more

????

Krasnoroutskya is always injured. Very sad, she has so much potential.
Bovina is constantly getting hurt
Petrova is constantly getting hurt

tenn_ace
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:20 PM
why russian players players never injured???and they play more .....

well, I wish it was ture :sad:

but Nadia, Lina, Lena B., Lena D. all had some bad injuries in the past 2-3 years. They were not in a spotlight at that time, so not many people noticed that.

manu32
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:28 PM
i was talking about top ten players actually:myskina,sharapova,kuznetzova and dementieva...(zvonareva...) ..they played last year all GS tournaments ...i remembered kafelnikov ...

tenn_ace
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM
ah, ok. I hope it's stays that way :bounce:

anthonyqld
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:32 PM
i was talking about top ten players actually:myskina,sharapova,kuznetzova and dementieva...(zvonareva...) ..they played last year all GS tournaments ...i remembered kafelnikov ...

Lina Krasnoroutskya would be a top 10 player if she wasn't always injured(probably top 5). Petrova would also(but Petrova's choking hinders her as well), Bovina would be pushing for top 10 as well.

So after the AO and Double-H drops out of the top 10, you could say "Why do no Belgiums get injured?" because no Belgium would be in the top 10.

manu32
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:36 PM
8 russians in top ten???? i don't hope.....

JennyS
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I think it's kind of weird that fans on here keep saying there is no need for an off-season, when none of us know if a longer off-season would help. The only way we can prove if a longer break could help is if there was a "real" off-season of 3-4 months AND none of the players did exos during that period.

anthonyqld
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM
8 russians in top ten???? i don't hope.....

No if those 3 are in, others would drop out (and I didn't say all 3 would be, I said 2 would be and the other pushing)

If everyone was fit

1. Serena
2. Amelie
3. Lindsay
4. Lina
5. Anastasia
6. Double-H
7. Venus
8. Jennifer
9. Nadia
10. Elena D/Elena B/Vera

That's 4 Russians, 4 Americans, 1 Belgium, 1 French

If you're always injured you don't get the chance to be top 10. The Americans and Belgiums have at least not been injured enough to be top 10. Those 3 Russians haven't

Greenout
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM
According to Justine yes, there's a new article up at the Sydney Morning
Herald where she talks about this and her withdrawl from Sydney and
Melbourne.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:59 PM
At the YEC, either Pam or MJF came up with the interesting suggestion that there shouldn't be a longer off-season, but instead weeks during the season with no tournaments, with the season ending later. If you could move the YEC to Europe or the Middle East, you could get rid of the February indoor events to some point after the US Open, and have a couple of empty weeks after the AO, and a few after the US Open.

crazillo
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Longer breaks are needed, but I think it is more that the schedule has to change completely. For example:
Not tournaments on 3 contients in say 4 weeks.

darren cahill
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:34 PM
I think it's kind of weird that fans on here keep saying there is no need for an off-season, when none of us know if a longer off-season would help. The only way we can prove if a longer break could help is if there was a "real" off-season of 3-4 months AND none of the players did exos during that period.
I like your posts...they always make a good point

My 2 cents are...i never did see any point in the events after the US open...i think the US open should finish where it does and have the season finale soon after that...it would make the US open even more important to those rushing for points to qualify for the finale. instead, most of the lower ranked people know they have the whole indoor season to gain more points....i myself dont even follow tennis after the US open, there seems to be WAY too many events and they arent even a warm up to anything. I would love to see the season end in late Sept or early Oct. But thats just me, i find tennis boring after the US open, it gives me time to refresh a bit too after following it all year long. I just know i am really REALLY tired of all these players being hurt etc...and it has nothing to do with all this exhibition talk cause most of the ones hurt, didnt play exho's like Jen and mary pierce and Mauresmo...they have been off for a while and not playing and they are still injured...it takes more than 3 weeks ya know. it seems the off season is only 13 hours.

anthonyqld
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:00 PM
According to Justine yes, there's a new article up at the Sydney Morning
Herald where she talks about this and her withdrawl from Sydney and
Melbourne.

But there's talk that's just an excuse, and she is fine to play but wants to wait until March 31 so she can get an injury ranking. Her IR will be 4, and unless she defended the AO she probably would have dropped out of the top 10.

fammmmedspin
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:36 PM
At the YEC, either Pam or MJF came up with the interesting suggestion that there shouldn't be a longer off-season, but instead weeks during the season with no tournaments, with the season ending later. If you could move the YEC to Europe or the Middle East, you could get rid of the February indoor events to some point after the US Open, and have a couple of empty weeks after the AO, and a few after the US Open.
Interesting idea but don't players do this any way? Tokyo is always short of top players. The middle east season is an excuse not to turn up for many . US players on the European indoor season are relatively rare. Lindsay has a long break after Tokyo and while the court is red. Momo has time off injured every year and managed to injure herself giving herself a longer off season in 2004. Sveta took a long break before the YEC and got one after Eastbourne by default. Justine couldn't have had a much longer break. Serena, Jennifer and Venus play relatively rarely anyway. Ironically Maria, Elena D and Nastya managed to damage themselves least by playing more tournaments and acquiring more air miles. Kim's injury was a one-off I thought - not caused by persistent playing?

Agree though the end of year could be better with a week off before the YEC and the Fed Cup not drifting on into November.

Would a week off before GS help? The idea of playing yourself in would suggest no, but it was notable that Sveta was worn out after Eastbourne, the clay court winners faltered at RG and Lindsay fell apart at the USO.