PDA

View Full Version : Schnyder, Molik, Myskina, Dementiva:undefeated

tennnisfannn
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM
So far all have made the impressive start and are yet to lose a match, who has impressed you the most.
Hard to choose since they could only bt the players presented to them. I saw Molik in person and she was hitting away freely. But Dementieva's has got to be the most impressive.
Daniela and venus deserve a mention here.

Sorry forgot to mention Srebotnik and I don't know how to include her in the poll now.

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Technically Petrova is also undefeated :p

Cuckoo
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:09 AM
And Katarina Srebotnik

Jakeev
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:10 AM
It's most significant for Patty and Katarina at this point......

Julia1968
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Li Na is also undefeated.

Oh, and Chris Evert.

Natasc
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Lena beat Masha and Venus
Without counting the doubles match
She didn't fell the taste of lose at the momment ;)

jonny84
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Having a winning streak before a slam doesnt always pay off.

Grass Court Season 04 - all the grass court tournament winners (bar Sharapova) lost in the first round of Wimbledon having won a tournament on grass

Pierce - Morigami and Kuznetsova

steve2005
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Well, i wouldnt say Dementieva's start is that impressive, wins over a sick Maria Sharapova and Venus Willimas who hit errors everywhere. I would say the most impressive is Molik, because she didnt really struggle against any of her opponants. I know Myskina didnt either but she wasnt expected to lose a match or probably even a set.Patty's win is quite impressive but she could have lost to both Golovin or Stosur.

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:42 AM
interesting 04 champs - Sugiyama won Gold Coast, loses 1r Sydney, Daniilidou does the same after winning Auckland in Hobart. Finalists Petrova loses Aus Open 1r to Kapros and Harkleroad to Barna in Hobart :tape:

anthonyqld
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Hopman Cup = Meaningless Exhibition = Molik and Myskina results mean nothing
Honk Kong = Meaningless Exhibition = Dementieva results mean nothing
Gold Coast = Official Tournament = Schynder results mean something

Therefore Schynder has

Daniel
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Go Nastya ;)

Purple_Llama
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Patty ;)

tom2791
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Myskina!

tenn_ace
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Lena. And it's not because she beat 2 top tenners. It WAS an exhibition after all. It's just that her beginnings of the year are usually slow.

but, hopefully, it changes :kiss:

stay injury free, Lena!

daniela86
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:31 PM
lena d's start is very impressive even if it was an exhibition. :)

switz
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Having a winning streak before a slam doesnt always pay off.

Grass Court Season 04 - all the grass court tournament winners (bar Sharapova) lost in the first round of Wimbledon having won a tournament on grass

bar sharapova who won wimbledon

Dementinator
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Well Lena definately deserves the best start here ,she has not only beaten two top 10 players but apart from the 1st close set with Masha she has demolished them and did pretty well in the doubles too.
I hope she can continue to get good results and keep using the improved serving as its way better than the previous one even with the DFs..

_LuCaS_
Nastya :)

gmak
i would say elena and patty

lena beacuse she always used to suck at the start of the year and even though it's only an exhibition i have a feeling she will do something big in Melbourne! :)

patty's win is impressive also, coming from behind to beat tati and stosur, something so unlike patty, who has tanked away matches in the past when things seem to go wrong...

Shoulderpova
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Lena and Nastya I vote for both :kiss:

Dementinator
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Well, i wouldnt say Dementieva's start is that impressive, wins over a sick Maria Sharapova and Venus Willimas who hit errors everywhere. I would say the most impressive is Molik, because she didnt really struggle against any of her opponants. I know Myskina didnt either but she wasnt expected to lose a match or probably even a set.Patty's win is quite impressive but she could have lost to both Golovin or Stosur.

Typical.....Masha WAS NOT SICK! until she lost ,hell of course Lena is incapable of beating anyone isnt she ,always the same I saw a fair bit of masha match and she was plaing pretty well ,Venus was not up to top standard but she still has to be beaten.
Lena was firng exclent groundstrokes and returns were awesome but as usual that will never be enough for the excuse makers..

gmak
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Typical.....Masha WAS NOT SICK! until she lost ,hell of course Lena is incapable of beating anyone isnt she ,always the same I saw a fair bit of masha match and she was plaing pretty well ,Venus was not up to top standard but she still has to be beaten.
Lena was firng exclent groundstrokes and returns were awesome but as usual that will never be enough for the excuse makers..
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Alicia Rocks
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Hopman Cup isn't a exhibition
its an official ITF event

steve2005
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:38 PM
So what your saying is that even if Maria was playing well Elena can beat her.
So your saying Elena Dementieva is better than Maria.

Natasc
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:46 PM
So..you have the capacity of..THINK
What you think, that Maria is unbeatable?!
Even Mashona beat Maria last year :lol:
Every player can be beat, no player is unbeatable

Dementinator
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Well hell yes i suppose I am ,on a good day Elena can beat anyone inc Maria.
And I really feel Lena has more natural Talent than maria too she certainly has better movement and power but Maria obviously has better serve that is no doubt and Maria certainly will beat Elena too as she has done but the way I see it is Lena reached world 4 with shitty serve and now it seems shes is improving that area I feel we havent seen the best of her yet where as Maria has probably more or less reached her peak they are both top class players and will beat each other many times ,I am NOT getting into a debate about who is better they are damn close but this week ELENA WAS BETTER! Maria should stop making excuses and admit defeat its gonna happen...many times

Experimentee
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Hopman Cup is not meaningless, the players try their hardest because they really want to win for their country, and it also counts as an official ITF event. The prizemoney and trophies are worth quite a lot of money too, and all players want those diamond studded balls.

switz
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:49 PM
yes it's silly to write the hopman cup off as meaningless. it's like saying winning the fed cup doesn't count as an achievement for the year. i actually didn't see Myskina play but she didn't beat anyone big. alicia won easily but i think she can play better.

elena has indeed looked impressive having seen her play at that exo. the wins in themselves are not important thing because you don't know how committed the opponent is - but it's really the way she is serving and striking the ball. i seriously think she could win the Aus Open playing that way.

bias of course makes me give it to patty. of course it's only a tier 3 but patty really wasn't patty this week. there was a real sense of maturity that has not been around the last few years and she fought so well in the semis and final against in form upcoming prospects and really demolished those she should beat. it was so strange to see this from patty.

Chunchun
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:51 PM
lena! :rocker2:

faboozadoo15
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Therefore Schynder has
ask schnyder if she would have rather won 2 matches against venus and sharapova and collected a HUGE check in the precess or if she would have rather struggled against stosur and golovin to barely eek out a tier 3.

hell, ask schnyder if she would have rather played hopman cup with roger federer and i bet she'd give up her tier 3.

switz
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:57 PM
stosur and golovin played better than sharapova for sure and venus in that final. i agree with what you saying don't quite throw away patty's win like that because she played very well and would have challenged those players in that kind of form.

i really hope patty does play hopman cup with roger eventually. i think they would be a really good team. they would have cleaned up this year considering they both won titles and would do well in doubles with patty's serve and roger's brilliance.

Happy Guy
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Elena
beating Maria in three is never easy.

Mathijs
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:06 PM
And I really feel Lena has more natural Talent than maria too she certainly has better movement and power but Maria obviously has better serve that is no doubt and Maria certainly will beat Elena too as she has done but the way I see it is Lena reached world 4 with shitty serve and now it seems shes is improving that area I feel we havent seen the best of her yet where as Maria has probably more or less reached her peak they are both top class players and will beat each other many times ,I am NOT getting into a debate about who is better they are damn close but this week ELENA WAS BETTER! Maria should stop making excuses and admit defeat its gonna happen...many times
Well Said Capt, no comments to add, all is said :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: (and well said :worship: :worship: ) (pity i cannot rep you, but will happen when i'm able to rep ya again)

vogus
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:07 PM
ask schnyder if she would have rather won 2 matches against venus and sharapova and collected a HUGE check in the precess or if she would have rather struggled against stosur and golovin to barely eek out a tier 3.

hell, ask schnyder if she would have rather played hopman cup with roger federer and i bet she'd give up her tier 3.

valid points, but the Gold Coast title is nothing to sneeze at, especially for a player who hadn't reached a WTA final in more than two years.

faboozadoo15
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:11 PM
valid points, but the Gold Coast title is nothing to sneeze at, especially for a player who hadn't reached a WTA final in more than two years.
true is that. it does mean a lot to her, i bet, and it should. i'm not saying beating stosur and golovin isn't great.... but there's just something different about going into the aus open with "wins" (they are playing for a LOT of money) over sharapova and venus.

maybe you're right, to patty, gold coast may mean more to her than hong kong has meant to elena.

Thauron
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:37 PM
All four results can't really be compared - I'd say wait a few weeks and we'll know the answer.

Prizeidiot
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:07 AM
All four results can't really be compared - I'd say wait a few weeks and we'll know the answer.
Too true. In regards to being impressive, yeah, all 4 have shown good signs (especially Elena for me). But in regards to really contributing to Australian Open success... these things can be misleading. Actually, I got suckered in myself when Dechy won the exhibition not too long ago, then lost first round in Queensland last week. Nevertheless, I should expect all four mentioned to do good things in Melbourne

Marcus1979
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Dementievas results have impressed me in the way that she destroyed Venus.

Venus beat Zvronareva and Kuznetsova when playing in a similar way.

If Dementieva could get a better serve she would be very close to a slam title by now.

rabbit_boi_313
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:29 AM
LENA D of course :D

Mr_Molik
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Therefore Schynder hasi think the hopman cup means more than a tier 3, but i agree that that hong kong shit means nothing

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Patty :D

rabbit_boi_313
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:59 PM
well said Capt. :wavey:

tennnisfannn
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Exhibition or not, those girls were fighting really hard. Ask Vera who was even crying in her match against Venus!

Doraemon
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Where's the opition for Katarina Lesbotnik? I think considerin how poorly she had been playing before Hobart, her win there was equally impressive.

DEETHELICK
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Elena D for the people she beat and the way she did it.

I know that in terms of points, etc. it doesnt mean anything, but for the confidence of defeating those big names (and also winning all her dubs matches too inc. against Williams x 2, the eventual champs) will help her tremendously.

She played confident, aggressive tennis and it is these types of players that she could come up against in the latter stages at the AO.

Therefore those she beat could have some sort of indicative link to her performance at the AO = WIN (I hope!).