PDA

View Full Version : Justine withdrew from the Autralian Open!

LindsayRulez
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:11 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNDU1cml1BF9TAzk1ODYyNTg0BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-australianopen-henin-hardenne&prov=ap&type=lgns

ptkten
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:12 AM
yep, it's on espn.com now too :eek:

gossipcom
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:13 AM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11886461-23210,00.html

Also was just on tv here.

AjdeNate!
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:17 AM
:( :sad: :mad:

dansnewbeg
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:18 AM
wow... where will her ranking go now? DIdn't think she would do well anyway, but after seeing her training pics I was hoping good things for her again.

Greenout
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Wah!!!!!!!

:sobbing:

gossipcom
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Her ranking will take a major beating - she'll be in the bottom half of the top 20 - if the 16-20 ranked players go well at the Open she could find herself outside the Top 20. Since she had over 1200 points to defend in Australia.

tennnisfannn
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:23 AM
What a blow, this is getting serious. One would think that the virus would have left her by now. She surely must be getting lots of expert medical attention, why is this virus so bloody stubborn?

Greenout
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:26 AM
What a blow, this is getting serious. One would think that the virus would have left her by now. She surely must be getting lots of expert medical attention, why is this virus so bloody stubborn?

No it's not the virus. She lost alot of muscle tone last year,
and it's not surprising that she injured herself training for (irony?)
for Melbourne! :tape:

They say it'a knee problem, and her game revolves around
good foot speed so.....

The only good thing is that if your as fit as she is, injuries are
suppose to be easier to recover from.

KingA
Disappointed!!! That's all I can think of right now!! :o

But health is the most important thing, get well soon Justine!!!! ;)

Venus+Serena#1fan
its not the virus its a different knee injury.

im sorry for her fans.

KingA
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Her ranking will take a major beating - she'll be in the bottom half of the top 20 - if the 16-20 ranked players go well at the Open she could find herself outside the Top 20. Since she had over 1200 points to defend in Australia.
But she will get an injury-protected ranking when she comes back to play, right? :confused:

rue
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:28 AM
All I can say is that I am really disappointed and it it just a major blow to the women's field. None of them can ever stay healthy including Capriati, Serena has her share of problems and we don't know how she will perform, Lindsay's got problems with her knee, Capriati has got shoulder problems and the list goes on, Mauresmo and the list goes on. If only things could start getting in order and it is real sad to see things like this.

Geisha
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:32 AM
But she will get an injury-protected ranking when she comes back to play, right? :confused:

I don't think so. The last time she played was August at the US Open and the Protected Ranking comes into play in February; six months later, I believe. So, if she returns by Feb, she won't get the PR, but if she does, she will.

Get better soon, Jhh!

tennnisfannn
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:42 AM
No it's not the virus. She lost alot of muscle tone last year,
and it's not surprising that she injured herself training for (irony?)
for Melbourne! :tape:

They say it'a knee problem, and her game revolves around
good foot speed so.....

The only good thing is that if your as fit as she is, injuries are
suppose to be easier to recover from.Thanks for that. In a sense it is good that it is the kneee and not the virus. Looks like injuries after a long layoff are very common. When venus got back, she injured her leg at the AO, her knee in tokyo and always had a few more things bothering her. Serena is still dealing with them, hopefully Justine's knee won't be too serious but this surely blows.

Greenout
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:42 AM
I don't think so. The last time she played was August at the US Open and the Protected Ranking comes into play in February; six months later, I believe. So, if she returns by Feb, she won't get the PR, but if she does, she will.

Get better soon, Jhh!

Thanks for the info.

Her next scheduled event is Doha Feb 21, 2005.

JenFan75
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:44 AM
:D

Greenout
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Thanks for that. In a sense it is good that it is the kneee and not the virus. Looks like injuries after a long layoff are very common. When venus got back, she injured her leg at the AO, her knee in tokyo and always had a few more things bothering her. Serena is still dealing with them, hopefully Justine's knee won't be too serious but this surely blows.

Well...at last month's exhibition she sort of strained her thigh
muscle. (no bad Pierre Yves jokes please.... :tape: ) So, it'
obvious that she's out of shape, less muscle mass, and weaker.

The exhibition was Dec 18-19.
Let's look at her training schedule here. She arrived in Florida
...say about Dec 22- and trained until this past Sunday. This
is about 2 1/2 weeks? How in the world could she truly have
become stronger in 2 1/2 week if simply playing against
Dechy and Ed gave her a thigh strain! :tape:

Ok- knee injury sounds normal. At least we know she's not
on miracle sports medicine. It would look really weird if she
was fit in less than 3 weeks for Sydney.

Martian KC
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Get well soon, Justine!!!

Wiggly
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:49 AM
:eek: :o :mad: :sad: :fiery: :sad:

Alfie
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:53 AM
What a shame. I was looking forward to seeing both Belgians, Kim and Justine back contending for titles and challenging the Russians. I hope they both recover 100% and get back in fighting shape soon. My ideal Australian Open would have all the Russians playing against injury-free Kim, Justine, Venus, Serena, Jen Cap, Davenport, Mauresmo. The WTA needs to do smtg to help reduce the number of injuries because it's not healthy for the players, the tour as a whole and the good of the sport. Very disappointing.

~SunFlower~
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:55 AM
This is very unfortunate for Justine to deal with another new injury. I respect her decison since she made the right choice. :sad:

pla
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Justine :sad: I was so happy she was back and now that.. But well, health is the most important thing, let's hope it's not big and it's just an extreme precaution.

Chunchun
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:03 AM
:retard::sad:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Wow...the defending champ AND runner up both out.

cheo23
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:11 AM
POor Justine!!!!!!!!!!
1st the VIRUS
NOw this KNEE Problem
By the way..what Knee is it???????//
THis will Only Benefit Alicia MOliks chances of winnin the Australian OPen
She's gotta Feel this is Her TRUE CALLIN to WIN it!
& Myskina, Svetlana, Elena Dementieva & Maria Sharapova
GET BETTER SOON Queen JUSTINE!
WE MiSS U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LesViolettes
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Oh that's such a shame! Here's to the Belgian girls - get better soon, it's not the same without you.

janjan
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Whaaannnnnnn!!!!:sad:
:banghead: Very Very disapointed.
Knee injury? What's kind of injury? Right or left ? What did cause it?
Light or serious?

I hope Ju and Kim both have real class coming back from bottom my heart.

COMING BACK SOOOOON BOTH!
Women's tennis really need you!
:fiery:

tobe
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Rooooooooooarrr.......
This year already sucks so badly.... :fiery:
where are the good old times when the top players where all there competing??? Okay, I think Capriati is next on the list, then I will lose any interest of these Fucking Open...

Volcana
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Sucks

Greenout
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:03 AM
There's an article up on Reuters with quotes.

http://www.reuters.com/

It says that the injury happened on Dec 28, and it's a minor fracture
on the femoral condyle of the right knee.

"The rest of me is feeling good after last year which was
so difficult. I have to be careful and smart; but it is hard to accept
this decision. I have to go home and get rest". - JHH

Ok- so it seems more of precautionary thing than a career threat
thing. If she did play, it could've made things worse.

Take care BOSS.

Daniel
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Get well Juju :smooch:

pla
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:10 AM
There's an article up on Reuters with quotes.

http://www.reuters.com/

It says that the injury happened on Dec 28, and it's a minor fracture
on the femoral condyle of the right knee.

"The rest of me is feeling good after last year which was
so difficult. I have to be careful and smart; but it is hard to accept
this decision. I have to go home and get rest". - JHH

Ok- so it seems more of precautionary thing than a career threat
thing. If she did play, it could've made things worse.

Take care BOSS.

Thanks Greenout! I was scared it's something bad. What a relief even if it's hard for the AO..

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Damn. :sad:

Jericho
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:19 AM
poor justine, no luck

Prizeidiot
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I'm not a Justine fan, but I respect her as a player, and it's disappointing that she can't play. Justine's ranking will drop quite a bit after this. The Australian Open draw is starting to look like it'll be weakened quite a bit.

jacobruiz
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:58 AM
This is so disappointing!:mad: Can a fractured bone in Justine's knee really be a minor injury? It sounds worse than just a precautionary thing.

The Aussie Open won't be the same without her!:sad:

Fingon
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:26 AM
it's apparently a microfracture that will require 3-4 weeks rest. She injured herself practicing and thought she would be ok, but her knee was bothering her in Australia so she had an MRI which revealed the injury.

I think that she definitely needs to wait 6 months now, her protected ranking would be # 1, and she needs a lot more time to get fit again. I think she probably should concentrate on the clay season, the only good thing is that the French Open is far away and she has more than enough time to be ready for it, and that should be her only goal at the moment.

flyingmachine
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:35 AM
:eek: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:
Get well soon Justine!

saab95
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:42 AM
get well soon Juju

Allez-H
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I was shocked when I heard the news this morning,I was so looking forward to seeing her play again :sad: I can only wish her a speedy recovery and hopefully this won't mark her season...get better soon sweety :hug: :smooch:

lizchris
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:14 AM
This is bad news, but not surprising. I was expecting her to defend her crwon, but when I saw she withdrew from Sydney with a knee injury, I figured her chances of playing the AO were slim. I hope she gets better and returns to the tour soon.

kiekeboe
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:53 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

chris whiteside
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Oh no. I'm not an h2h fan but the women's game does need her along with Serena.

gmak
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:10 AM
omg what a great start to the year :rolleyes: :sad:
justine and kim already out, and i think they won't be the only big casualties :sad:

defending champion and runner-up of 2004 are out! :sad:

lauryn
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM
such sad news :sad:

Justine :bigcry:

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:26 AM
ohh man! i wanted to see her play, after seeing her on a poster at adidas.

Brαm
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM
:( :sad:

catkey94
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Rest up Justine, and hurry back...the tour needs you.:sad:

Duramont
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:56 AM
No Kim and no Justine at Aussie Open!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

Poor Belgian fans! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And Davenport, Mauresmo, S.Williams and Capriati have problems too and are not certain to be at the Australian Open! :eek: :eek: :eek:

How scaring to see so many injured players at the beginning of the year! What is wrong with female tennis??? :unsure: :scared: :scratch: :awww: :help:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:01 PM
omg not Justine too :sad: :bigcry:
just when she was getting ready to comeback.

Buitenzorg
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Justine :sad:

tenn_ace
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:05 PM
damn damn damn :mad: :sad:

I guess, when it rains - it pours :mad:

loveactually
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:09 PM
i'm shocked...when can i see justine back to the court. best of luck..

Lady
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I'm just so sad right now :sad:

I was so looking forward to seeing her again, and now this! :sad:

Geoffry
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM
justine :sad: so no Belgians in the main draw this year (or Els should win all her matches in the qualifying draw, but that's doubtfull)

Marcus1979
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM
This is a massive hit

around 1200 pts to come off.

she should be around #15

whenall is said and done

10nisfanofruz
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:43 PM
OMG!!! We have many bad news earlier this year about players who got injured.
It's too bad that tennis fans miss the chance to see healthy players compete each other on the court.
However, it seems that Williames are ready in the top form again.
Davenport and Mauresmo have been playing great.
The russians still be there and ready to continue dominating the tour.
It's interesting to see what will happen in Australian Open 2005. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------
Will it be Russian slams?
New face to win AO?

schris
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:49 PM
oh no !!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

swiss
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Justine :sad: :sad: :sad:
shit merde

Experimentee
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:29 PM
It seems impossible in the womens game to have all the top players healthy at the same time, or even most of them healthy. I cant remember the last time that happened :(

Slumpsova
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:30 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
i can't believe my nightmare coming true eventually.

this is more disappointing to me than Kim's withdraw 'cos i know Justine is training again and even played that exhibition. she is coming back for god sake.

:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Junex
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:35 PM
so sad! It is quite a shocking news after spending the whole day away from the pc.

But health is always a priority!
keep the faith Justine fans!

recover well Justine!!!!

Chriskip
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I am really sorry to hear of Justines's new misfortunes. But maybe its best she pulls out rather than risk more serious injury. To me its a sign of maturity of a player when they think more of their health rather than of ranking points. I hate when the enter tourneys only to blame some illness they had from lord knows how long ago, when they eventually lose, or if they keep harping on how bad they are feeling. Justine used to do that. Maybe last year's trials have given her a new perspective on life and she knows better know.

However, I get the feeling her team...coach etc...are not too up front with us most of the times. I know no player and their team will be giving away anything that will jeopardize her chances of winning, but I think Carlos and the others are fools if they think we all believe the press releases they issue some of the time. It doesnt take a degree in health to know that some of what they say is bull. Questions will always surround Justine, until the real truth as to why she was out for so long last year is told. If you check back on her site you will see that every 2 or so months they stated that she was okay again, only for the virus to act up again. She must really have a very poor immune system, because usually "fit" people like athletes can resist certain viruses better than the majority of us. Thats why it has been proven that there are benefits to exercising. Her case is one for the books in proving otherwise. The only "good" thing about all of this is that she is said to be over the virus, and its a knee problem now. I hope its nothing of the calibre of Serena's, Lindsay's or Chanda's.

Greenout
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Great new article about Justine up at the Sydney Morning Herald
website. She wants a shorter tennis season, and refuses to be out
for 6 months again, this is why she withdrew from Melbourne, to be
extra careful. Nice parting words...

"I'll have MY time again, that's For Sure"- JHH

http://www.smh.com.au/

That's the spirit. I feel so much better after reading that article.
It's all for the greater good right now.

peanuts
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM
wow this sucks! :mad:

Jan 8th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Here's a question: How on earth did she win the Olympics? Talk about heart

I really think that rankings are the least important in this situation. Justine has been at number 1 and will always be respected as such. It really does not matter what she is ranked (no.1 or 101) there are still ONLY about 5 players that have any chance of beating her. While I am sad and shocked: I hope she is healthy soon- and happy.

Lady
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I am really sorry to hear of Justines's new misfortunes. But maybe its best she pulls out rather than risk more serious injury. To me its a sign of maturity of a player when they think more of their health rather than of ranking points. I hate when the enter tourneys only to blame some illness they had from lord knows how long ago, when they eventually lose, or if they keep harping on how bad they are feeling. Justine used to do that. Maybe last year's trials have given her a new perspective on life and she knows better know.

However, I get the feeling her team...coach etc...are not too up front with us most of the times. I know no player and their team will be giving away anything that will jeopardize her chances of winning, but I think Carlos and the others are fools if they think we all believe the press releases they issue some of the time. It doesnt take a degree in health to know that some of what they say is bull. Questions will always surround Justine, until the real truth as to why she was out for so long last year is told. If you check back on her site you will see that every 2 or so months they stated that she was okay again, only for the virus to act up again. She must really have a very poor immune system, because usually "fit" people like athletes can resist certain viruses better than the majority of us. Thats why it has been proven that there are benefits to exercising. Her case is one for the books in proving otherwise. The only "good" thing about all of this is that she is said to be over the virus, and its a knee problem now. I hope its nothing of the calibre of Serena's, Lindsay's or Chanda's.

She had exactly the kind of virus that athletes are suffering from!!
And yes, it kinda slows down and then strikes again!
That was explained a million times last year by people with a medical degree!

crazillo
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:38 PM
On the WTATOUR-site they said that she has to rest for 4-6 weeks, which makes her questionable for Antwerp and Dubai/Doha, too.

fleemkeģ
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:02 PM
she doesn't play Antwerp for sure ;)

Justine :sad: get well soon :(

LindsayRulez
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry to all her fans, I know your pain! I was gutted when Lindsay had knee surgery in 2001 and didn't play until the summer of 2002, for about 8 months I was totally bummed out (tennis-wise). We wish her a speedy recovery!

bigshow21
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Well that sucks! :sad: But it is better to miss one tournament and get healthy, rather than missing an entire year with multiple injuries. Get well soon Justinee!!! :)

drivevolley
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Nooooooooooooo
Well, get well soon ju!!!!

harloo
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Looks like Justine is on the injury train like most of the top players. One injury after another, and even upon returning to the tour they still are injury prone. :sad:

SerenaSlam
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Get better soon, Jhh!
i thought u had to have the same injury out for that 6 months in order to get a protected ranking? she last played a match at the end August. So she will basically have to come back in march if she wants a protected ranking and personally I think that is what she is and will end up doing b/c her ranking will drop to at least 15 while kim clijsters you take her ranking points off for AO and she will have around 660 ranking pts :eek:. and she last played at the end of September, so she would have to come back maybe April/May inorder for her to get a protected ranking, but Im still thinkin that your injury has to be the same inorder to get the protected ranking, but i may be wrong.

suzie
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:45 PM
:sad: Sad to know she won't play... get well soon, Justine!

Stamp Paid
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Damn, it looks like the Belgians are going to struggle like the Williams Sisters. :( They are missed. esp. Kim.

Lady
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:59 PM
i thought u had to have the same injury out for that 6 months in order to get a protected ranking? she last played a match at the end August. So she will basically have to come back in march if she wants a protected ranking and personally I think that is what she is and will end up doing b/c her ranking will drop to at least 15 while kim clijsters you take her ranking points off for AO and she will have around 660 ranking pts :eek:. and she last played at the end of September, so she would have to come back maybe April/May inorder for her to get a protected ranking, but Im still thinkin that your injury has to be the same inorder to get the protected ranking, but i may be wrong.

No, it shouldn't be the same injury.

Player just had to be out for 6 months from the date the last played tournament ended.

Princess Fiona
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM
:sad:

No!! Get well soon Justine... Look forward to having you back!! Look forward to seeing that fabulous backhand again... (That fabulous game, fabulous everything... ;) *sniff* )

:sad: I hope that Justine will be healthy soon and that all the injured players will be healthy soon...

TopTenPlayer
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:18 PM
We will miss you much.
I am was really looking forword to her return.

alexusjonesfan
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:32 PM
:bigcry:

tennischick
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:33 PM
...The only good thing is that if your as fit as she is, injuries are suppose to be easier to recover from.what about the buzz that she had overtrained?

fammmmedspin
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Get better soon, Jhh!
According to the BBC she is out for 4-6 weeks which might take her into PR zones....

komorli
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:11 PM
:hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric: GET BETTER SOON, JUSTINE!!!!!

faste5683
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:30 PM
ARRRRRRRGGG!! Is there no mercy? Am I stuck with watching Rodger and Guga to get my one-hand backhand fix? Oh well, get well soon, Justine!

:wavey:

saima
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:25 PM
:sad: :tears: :crying2: :bigcry:

fammmmedspin
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:44 PM
ARRRRRRRGGG!! Is there no mercy? Am I stuck with watching Rodger and Guga to get my one-hand backhand fix? Oh well, get well soon, Justine!

:wavey:Its either that or watch Momo or Francesca who both have a mean single hander.:)

flyingmachine
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:49 PM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Alfie
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:05 AM
I want Justine, Kim, Serena and Venus to be 100% fit and contending for titles. Not to mention JenCap, Davenport, Hingis, Seles, Mauresmo. Just think how exciting all GS tournaments would be if these players could stay fit and all be in the draws :eek: . That would be a stellar star-studded field.

~|Naomi|~
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:25 AM
If Justine decides to also skip the middle east events (and just train not play) will she get a protected rank? Will that have been the 6 months? Not that I think she will need one once she comes back and has a few tournaments behind her she will go back up the rankings again.